Racism Against Farangs

aneliane

I am always shocked how some Farangs are dressed. Sitting in a restaurant in short trouser and flip flops, while all Thais around have normal long trousers...and a hairy old mans leg isn't something beautiful

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because of my lifestyle I get confronted mostly to what we could say are "poor" Thai people, who I found have an increasingly negative attitude towards me

To be honest in my experience I've found the "poorer" Thai people tend to be the friendliest ones. Once they know you speak Thai they like to have a good laugh with you.

Shop assistants refusing to serve me,

Do you mean point blank refusal so you have to leave the shop or fobbing you off onto another member of staff? If it's the latter they're most probably shitting themselves at the thought of having to communicate with a westerner. If it's the former I can only say in my years here it's never happened to me. Is it a regular occurrence or a one off?

It happened to me several times before I had this dental cleaning laugh.png

I am always shocked how some Farangs are dressed. Sitting in a restaurant in short trouser and flip flops, while all Thais around have normal long trousers...and a hairy old mans leg isn't something beautiful

theres a differnce between beauty and downright scruffiness :D

clothes are not that expensive here ,theres no reason for farangs to waddle about half naked IMO !

Heck ... I was just simply going to say that I found it difficult to emphasise with the OP!

You know me with my blethering.......why use one word when a thousand will do biggrin.png

Its nothing to do with 'blethering' - you were just 'out of order'!

Some people prefer people to animals whilst others prefer animals to people. HOWEVER, my experience is that those who prefer animals can understand why others feel differently - unlike those who think animals are there to 'serve' human needs.

Let me re-phrase that...........in your opinion I was 'out of order'

I like animals, I eat them every day.

• Like 1

Heck ... I was just simply going to say that I found it difficult to emphasise with the OP!

You know me with my blethering.......why use one word when a thousand will do biggrin.png

Some people prefer people to animals whilst others prefer animals to people. HOWEVER, my experience is that those who prefer animals can understand why others feel differently - unlike those who think animals are there to 'serve' human needs.

I think I prefer animals to humans. I can't be sure, and you can call me a fussy eater, but...

Please advise us on two issues.

Where do you live? (town, province)

Do you communicate mainly in Thai or English?

After we have the answers to these questions we will all be in a much better position to comment

(If you have already answered the above, then I apologise).

Can we all only wear full evening dress from now on just to appease the sensibilities of h90 and the others?

To the OP, I'd say forget about the dogs and spend more cash in the local community. While I'm sure the local vet loves you dearly, were you to "Share the Wealth" a little more around your community, or even give the impression you are doing so, then I feel you may garner more respect.

In fairness though sometimes you can't win.

I'm certainly no "Flash Harry" but am always getting lectured for taking taxis when there is "a perfectly good bus service", or eating at the local air-con restaurant when there is far cheaper delicious Thai food around...

rolleyes.gif

post-12195-0-77625100-1332926973_thumb.j

I think I prefer animals to humans. I can't be sure, and you can call me a fussy eater, but...

Two cannibals were having dinner, one said to the other " I don't like your wife "................." That's okay, put her to the side of your plate and finish your vegetables".

• Like 1

I think you've forgot how to smile. I have never sensed anything like your issues, but I do see farang's become bitter and self rightous which does not pay off when you have to live within Thai society. I think you had better take a good look at yourself before blaming others.

Two cannibals were having dinner, one said to the other " I don't like your wife "................." That's okay, put her to the side of your plate and finish your vegetables".

Did you hear about the cannibal who passed his brother in the desert?

Unless you genuinely know this woman, your following comments are 'out of order' IMO:-

"I looked at your profile, your not old, your 43, but I have met you. I met you in my shop last week. Your the overly forward and slightly shambolic lady that came in looking for the bed that has never been made, it exists in your head because it's the bed you think that should have been made, because you like it, everyone should like it.

Your the lady in my shop last week that jumped like a scalded cat when I mentioned the word female, then abruptly called me sexist for mentioning that word. I was deeply insulted by you, who do you think you are? You can't judge me, but by your responses on this thread you feel you can judge everyone."

theres a differnce between beauty and downright scruffiness biggrin.png

clothes are not that expensive here ,theres no reason for farangs to waddle about half naked IMO !

By "half-naked" do you mean wearing a tee-shirt, shorts and flip-flops? I must say I have noticed a few Thai people dressed in such attire...

No I wash only once a year to save water lol

Well, there's your answer . . .

Seriously, it's hard to give you insights because it's not an experience I've come up against.

OK let's take another example, one of my student is english-thai, he's 16 and has to do military service for 3 years every weekend during hols.

He gets and I quote here "treated like shit because I'm farang". They call him all sort of names, his superiors make him sit in the sun for 2 hours, and all sort of craps like this, he gets it twice harder as a regular Thai.

There is an institutional racism in Thailand : from early school were your are taught Thai are a superior race and the other race therefore "inferior" to all governmental institutions: army, hospitals, public transports resent foreigners like any other country does.

If you are protected enough either by only going private (taxi/private hospitals ...) or if you have a gf dealing with institutional for you, you don't have to deal with it

If not, tough shit basically

"There is an institutional racism in Thailand : from early school were your are taught Thai are a superior race"

What absolute rubbish!

I don't believe you now. After reading this you are obviously a bitter bitter person with no friends who projects an unwelcome unhappy attitude towards those you meet. Your going to be hated in most places you go. Until you change yourself your never going to fit in anywhere... Simple

I guess it's because being a farang, you appear to have a better life than them. And in their minds, if you have the money, you shouldn't be stingy with it. Paying double won't be an issue for you but for them it goes a long way. Poor attitude to have really, I hate feeling like i'm being taken for a ride or overcharged just because I'm a farang. I guess this is what you call positive discrimination?

@f1fanatic

Do you know her? Can you vouch for her character?

If I could be bothered, and I can't, I could rip apart the OP's post's, I don't want to. To be honest with you I feel I was hard enough on her without being abusive.

There's a simple rule on life..........."sometimes it is your fault".

I wasn't too sure what the OP's point even was...but had to take it at face value - ignoring all the cobblers about how expats have changed/spoiled Thailand as I did.

As I could see it, the OP is probably seen as a bit of a cheapskate/weirdo who spend more on dogs than his/herself...and now TheBlether has scared him/her off....

Can we all only wear full evening dress from now on just to appease the sensibilities of h90 and the others?

To the OP, I'd say forget about the dogs and spend more cash in the local community. While I'm sure the local vet loves you dearly, were you to "Share the Wealth" a little more around your community, or even give the impression you are doing so, then I feel you may garner more respect.

In fairness though sometimes you can't win.

I'm certainly no "Flash Harry" but am always getting lectured for taking taxis when there is "a perfectly good bus service", or eating at the local air-con restaurant when there is far cheaper delicious Thai food around...

I don't not where you come from, but where I come from it is normal that you wear shoes, a long trouser and at least a clean fresh TShirt when you go out of the house, even more if you go in a restaurant.

Exceptions: Direct on the beach, Pool bar etc etc.

Maybe that is for you already the full evening dress to use when you visit the opera, but for 99 % of the Europeans it is normal clothes (unless they make holidays in Thailand....)

@f1fanatic

Do you know her? Can you vouch for her character?

If I could be bothered, and I can't, I could rip apart the OP's post's, I don't want to. To be honest with you I feel I was hard enough on her without being abusive.

There's a simple rule on life..........."sometimes it is your fault".

She's a fairly well-established poster who makes a point of living on a pittance. I hadn't realised she squandered good money on a few stray dogs, nor that she did not speak much Thai, nor also that she felt unwelcome.

Yes there is. It's bloody hot.

Given the option, I prefer to wear only my boxers, though I generally don't go out the house so clad.

I find good reason to wander round virtually naked, given the climate here.

SC

The OP will like you as your fitting in with some of the locals. The bus and coach drivers have started wandering around again in just their boxers, crossing over the road and walking up it to get food etc. If it's good enough for them......

Here we go another summer of telling them to put some clothes on.

I wasn't too sure what the OP's point even was...but had to take it at face value - ignoring all the cobblers about how expats have changed/spoiled Thailand as I did.

As I could see it, the OP is probably seen as a bit of a cheapskate/weirdo who spend more on dogs than his/herself...and now TheBlether has scared him/her off....

Wait a minute............how am I getting the blame? I was just one in a long line, just like this.............

• Like 2

Given the option, I prefer to wear only my boxers, though I generally don't go out the house so clad.

SC

The OP will like you as your fitting in with some of the locals. The bus and coach drivers have started wandering around again in just their boxers, crossing over the road and walking up it to get food etc. If it's good enough for them......

Out of decency and courtesy to the neighbours, I asked the landlord to put blinds on the kitchen window.

Luckily, no-one has moved in opposite, but I still do the decent thing and put my boxers on, most of the time.

SC

I certainly agree about the no shirt issue but find zero problem with a nice pair of clean shorts and a clean T Shirt.

Most Thais will take you for a tourist on sight anyway, realise their climate is hot for non-Thais and will take you at face value.

in 20 years here I've never heard a single comment about me being inappropriately or scruffily dressed from a Thai...I've heard it a few times from Westerners mind you, but I care little for what they might think.

There are always those sad chaps who overdress to make a statement that they live here, and are not tourists, but I for one change from my office clobber into my shorts and T Shirt at the first chance I get.

Most Thais I see are in reality no more or less scruffy than I am. It's just another Stickman myth that all Thais are super smart 100% of the time....

By "half-naked" do you mean wearing a tee-shirt, shorts and flip-flops? I must say I have noticed a few Thai people dressed in such attire...

i wear not much myself sometimes and il be the first to admit when its hot or im at the gym id wear a pair of football shorts and a vest

but its not great atire to be wearing the Central business district or when dealing with thais of the higher end of the social scale

of course i have chang and singa sleeveless t-shirts and outdoor shorts about the same size as boxer shorts but i also apreciate they

are not the best clobber to wear on every occasion ;) even if they are comfortable !

SC

Out of decency and courtesy to the neighbours, I asked the landlord to put blinds on the kitchen window.

Luckily, no-one has moved in opposite, but I still do the decent thing and put my boxers on, most of the time.

SC

Same here in the house when I can be bothered to put them on.

i wear not much myself sometimes and il be the first to admit when its hot or im at the gym id wear a pair of football shorts and a vest

but its not great atire to be wearing the Central business district or when dealing with thais of the higher end of the social scale

of course i have chang and singa sleeveless t-shirts and outdoor shorts about the same size as boxer shorts but i also apreciate they

are not the best clobber to wear on every occasion wink.png even if they are comfortable !

As I recall, the only comment I ever got on the way I was dressed in public was from a potential client's representative who said "Jeez, you must be hot in that jacket". As others have mentioned, the farang seem to be more outspoken...

Oh, and an Indian tailor who complimented me and said "Nice suit, sir!" - I assume out of admiration for the work of another professional and admiration for craftsmanship of yesteryear... I'd actually been thinking about getting a new one, until he said that. "here's life in the old rags yet," I thought.

SC