Racism Against Farangs

aneliane

Please don't judge me

I won't judge you, if you don't ignore me and my efforts (and others). You have almost started an agony Aunt thread, so each response to you deserves an answer.

I don't know what an agony Aunt thread is, sorry, but it sound like I'm just moaning and again I'm sorry if I came accross like this.

My idea was to get other people's experience, it got distracted, I got distracted as always here.

I should have known better.

If you don't have this experience, it's cool to say it, but not so cool to call me barmy imagining stuffs.

I know of other foreigners who do get it too.

Some just don't like to admit it, or are in denial, it kinda spoil the paradise image they try to convey about their lifestyle here. Most are just living in such protected lifestyle that they won't get it.

It's a shame I though it could be an interesting debate.

Duck's back is a recurring suggestion and I obviously use it a lot too, although not always an option and can be expensive to change hospital/restaurant/shop every time u encounter racism.

Being unable to understand insults is quite nice too, hence my thai learning a bit slow ??

You have had a lot of excellent advice on this thread, you seem to be unable to see it. I suggest you stand down for the night and read it again tomorrow. I refer in particular to Mobi, SC and Gentleman Jim, they have been supportive of you, amongst many others.

I think you can't see the wood from the trees.

Not fair, I did thank everyone for their answers

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aneliane,

Have you possibly done something - albeit inadvertently - which may have upset the locals?

I find the whole situation odder now as you live in On Nut which while not exactly a Westerner "hotbed", certainly isn't bereft of them.

I give you one example :

At a food counter in a food court:

The lady and older one, is going back and forth behind the counter.

I stand there ignored trying to make eye contact and smile

I try a "Sawadika"

No answer

After 5 minutes of being ignored the guy from the next counter, a friendly younger guy I just bought something a few minutes before, comes to my rescue and say : " I will serve you instead of her"

And he apologized about her behaviour, and take my order. she still did not look at me, it was as if I was transparent.

I said "maipenrai, I get it all the time" and thanked him profusely for his nice gesture.

I know she was being racist, I have never seen her before and nor did she.

The other friendly guy knew it too, that's why he was embarrassed about the situation, gesturing to me that her attitude was not right.

But that's the way it goes here.

I say the guy being extra nice balance out the horrible old lady, and makes it alright, but not always ... I mean sometimes there is no nicer person to come to my rescue ...

Rubbish.. If anything this lady was pretrified of trying to communicate in English.. I am starting to think you are judging people and as such being the racist one. An I live in the same neighbourhood as you. Never, never do I experience racisim. You my friend are perpertuating your own interpretation of it, and making it far far worst. I bet you I could pick you out of the croud at BigC Onnut or Lotus Soi 50. I bet you are making no effort to communicate with the locals on their level, but at the same time you think there shyness is racism. Again, take a look at yourself. Tell me this, why in h3ll would you live in Thailand without speaking a considerable amount of Thai. Do you seriously think a Thai living in your country is going to be able to judge locals behaviour without speaking the language of your country. So stop spilling so much hatred onto our hosts until you speak the local language with some fluency........

Edited by jayjayjayjay

I am since 10 years in Bangkok, on different places.

I don't speak Thai.

I have always been treated friendly.....Sure maybe there were some idiots somewhere. But less than when I was in Vienna.

Only thing I have seen is a positive racism. When I send my guy in the office with a broken HD to the shop, the shop tells him he is doing something wrong. If I go there they believe that I am smart enough and replace it.

Yup I was thinking exactly like you when I was living like a farang.

People were actually treating me better than Thais most of the time.

I recall finding Thai most lovely and friendly people I have encountered

Try living "on the cheap" for a year, you will have a whole different perspective

I don't get the difference between living like a farang and living on the cheap.

I am living not different than my Thai staff.....Actually I am known to care more for my spending than my staff.

Not fair, I did thank everyone for their answers

I'm not having a go at you, the level and intensity of answers you are getting is hard to keep up with, even for us that are just reading and not getting involved. You have a massive well of goodwill here, and I think you have some of the best posters on TV taking a great interest in what you are saying.

I do suggest you need a bit of time to absorb what is coming through here, that advice is also given supportively.

Edited by theblether
  • Like 2

I don't speak Thai.

I have always been treated friendly.....Sure maybe there were some idiots somewhere. But less than when I was in Vienna.

Only thing I have seen is a positive racism. When I send my guy in the office with a broken HD to the shop, the shop tells him he is doing something wrong. If I go there they believe that I am smart enough and replace it.

Try living "on the cheap" for a year, you will have a whole different perspective

I don't get the difference between living like a farang and living on the cheap.

I am living not different than my Thai staff.....Actually I am known to care more for my spending than my staff.

Ok I rephrase, try living on the cheap, without any protection, without your wife/gf/thai mates/employees to help you in Thai society

Please don't judge me

I won't judge you, if you don't ignore me and my efforts (and others). You have almost started an agony Aunt thread, so each response to you deserves an answer.

I don't know what an agony Aunt thread is, sorry, but it sound like I'm just moaning and again I'm sorry if I came accross like this.

My idea was to get other people's experience, it got distracted, I got distracted as always here.

If you don't have this experience, it's cool to say it, but not so cool to call me barmy imagining stuffs.

Some just don't like to admit it, or are in denial, it kinda spoil the paradise image they try to convey about their lifestyle here. Most are just living in such protected lifestyle that they won't get it.

Duck's back is a recurring suggestion and I obviously use it a lot too, although not always an option and can be expensive to change hospital/restaurant/shop every time u encounter racism.

Being unable to understand insults is quite nice too, hence my thai learning a bit slow ??

What do you want to debate about, people have offered their opinions, but you only want to hear what you want to hear.

What to do about this racism you experience then, what can you do ?

Go to the police ? At least it will provide them with something to laugh about at the bar.

Have a fight about it ? Risk losing your visa or more.

Educate them ? Maybe when you can speak Thai.

The other options are ignore it or leave.

The OP's story reminds me of a few lefty-hippy-girls in my college at uni... they did everything possible to mark themselves out as different and then moaned that they were not treated the same as everyone else... Thailand is known to be one of the easiest countries for ex-pats to settle in (largely due to the Thai people's tolerance of foreigners) and from the short time I have been here I can see why... if the OP feels uncomfortable here I think she should consider moving to Camden in London where she can meet many like-minded individuals

Oh my god !

I am a 43 years old woman and look very conservative thank you very much

I do not try to be different from anyone I just try to live a quiet life while trying to do my bit toward our planet, that is called being a good citizen

I think you are a very confused person and need help

I think you misunderstood my post... I was trying to make the point that your story make me think you may be paranoid as you seem to think everyone (except the soi dogs) is against you... your response confirms my suspicion... no offense, just think you need to chill out a bit and adopt more of a mai-pen-rai attitude... the Thai people don't hate you, they just don't care much about you or your noble mission

PS: at 43 years old you are probably a little old for Camden but you could try some of the quirkier parts of Islington...

PPS: this is all meant in jest... please don't freak out on me again

Edited by brit1984

Please don't judge me

What do you want to debate about, people have offered their opinions, but you only want to hear what you want to hear.

Go to the police ? At least it will provide them with something to laugh about at the bar.

The thing is Arthur as we are now seeing this is not racism. It is Thai people disliking a particular foreigner. I have never experienced this reaction from Thais, and many here are saying the same thing. The conclusion then Analiane has to be look at yourself and the company you keep, and yeah, what brit1984 says...Camden has changed :) So make the most of it here as there is no going back!

Please don't judge me

They are many other options:

- respond to it/ignore it, debate of the best attitude to have toward it

- have some thai people help you all the time so you don't get discriminated / create group/ services where you get a thai person dealing with your admins/shopping/etc so you don't get to deal with racism

- alert opinion/ opinion makers about it and make it a wider reflection on how to best deal with Thai's xenophobia

- debate about it in places like here

- create defense groups/association/farang friendly list of places/badges/websites that promote Thai people's business who are farang friendly .. cab drivers already do it, they put "I love farangs" to distinct themselves from the other who "don't like us as much"

Well, having read it all with interest..I have been through some similar feelings at times.

My guess is ' aneliane ' is experiencing a ' culture clash ' in which racism is playing a very little part.

Just my 2 satangs :)

• Like 2

I don't speak Thai.

Ok I rephrase, try living on the cheap, without any protection, without your wife/gf/thai mates/employees to help you in Thai society

Why ? No Thai wants to live in poverty. You are saying this is not like a farang , so it's like a Thai then ? Again why when there is a massive range of wealth in this country.

The things Thais do put first is their family, grateful to their parents for everything and work with their brothers and sisters to get on and have kids amongst other reasons to help them in the future. Communities work together, you've seen all the shops selling the same thing thogether in the same road that help each other where in the west it's the opposite so western businesses have less local competition.

How many Thais you know introduce their cousins as sisters and brothers due to the family looking after each other , living together and in many cases their aunts bringing them up.

Doing things on your own without protection, or help from friends and family is the opposite of Thai culture.

Why ? No Thai wants to live in poverty. You are saying this is not like a farang , so it's like a Thai then ? Again why when there is a massive range of wealth in this country.

The things Thais do put first is their family, grateful to their parents for everything and work with their brothers and sisters to get on and have kids amongst other reasons to help them in the future. Communities work together, you've seen all the shops selling the same thing thogether in the same road that help each other where in the west it's the opposite so western businesses have less local competition.

How many Thais you know introduce their cousins as sisters and brothers due to the family looking after each other , living together and in many cases their aunts bringing them up.

Doing things on your own without protection, or help from friends and family is the opposite of Thai culture.

Whooo, you are one tough cookie! I re rephrase : Try to live on the cheap without connection or protection in Thailand lol

Ok, what's the issue anyway? Any decent fella residing in Thailand for a period of time would know that Thais are not racist. We will come across nationalistic Thais or religious freaks but never racist. What OP has experienced is either nationalism on the Thai part OR it's a case of hierarchy in play. Bear in mind that hierarchy plays a big part in how one is treated in this country. Dress and behave like a millionaire and you'll be treated as one. Dress and behave like a bum, well, everyone knows the answer.

ER in Thailand is on par with most countries. That is if they see you bleeding or high fever, they'll provide triage or IV drip first and ask questions later. Other than that, they will usually turn you away to the nearest pharmachy.

As for the luk kreung, it's either nationalism or he seriously offended someone and in Thailand, it's not a good idea to offend anyone.

Whooo, you are one tough cookie! I re rephrase : Try to live on the cheap without connection or protection in Thailand lol

Why?

I don't have connection or protection, there is no issue. I don't smell of soi dogs, I dress well and always treat everyone I meet well. As has been said, nobody wants to live in poverty in Thailand, but you choose to. Maybe the locals resent the fact that you lavish what money you have on soi dogs and they cannot afford a new school uniform for their kids. Change your priorities and your life will change.

[

The thing is Arthur as we are now seeing this is not racism. It is Thai people disliking a particular foreigner. I have never experienced this reaction from Thais, and many here are saying the same thing. The conclusion then Analiane has to be look at yourself and the company you keep, and yeah, what brit1984 says...Camden has changed smile.png So make the most of it here as there is no going back!

Can people stop saying that I belong to Camden? I never liked the place anyway. Why no "going back" I've never lived there, never wanted to I am not English nevertheless from London, my name is not "Analiane" but Aneliane, and I am happy here

Why?

I don't have connection or protection, there is no issue. I don't smell of soi dogs, I dress well and always treat everyone I meet well. As has been said, nobody wants to live in poverty in Thailand, but you choose to. Maybe the locals resent the fact that you lavish what money you have on soi dogs and they cannot afford a new school uniform for their kids. Change your priorities and your life will change.

Frugal does not mean poor.

My dogs are not smelly, they get shampooed every week

I wear l'occitane perfume, Gap Zara, and French connection clothes

My look is a mix of trendy parisian / classic / ethnic chic.

- have some thai people help you all the time so you don't get discriminated / create group/ services where you get a thai person dealing with your admins/shopping/etc so you don't get to deal with racism

- alert opinion/ opinion makers about it and make it a wider reflection on how to best deal with Thai's xenophobia

- create defense groups/association/farang friendly list of places/badges/websites that promote Thai people's business who are farang friendly .. cab drivers already do it, they put "I love farangs" to distinct themselves from the other who "don't like us as much"

1 Has been covered in this thread.

2 Most people on this thread don't seem to need this.

3 Education is how to do this in whatever country, but when the uneducated keep voting for people who want to keep them uneducated as educated people don't vote for them and most people in Thailand never meet a foreigner let alone communicate with them you maybe waiting a long time for the racist portion of Thai people to change.

4 That's what we are doing.

5 I doubt all the taxi drivers displaying those stickers can read those stickers. What about drivers working for a company or renting the cab that joined after the sticker was put on the cab ?

I don't speak Thai.

I never needed protection or any other to get what I want. As well I don't need (in the meaning of for free) anything from Thai society. What I want I buy. Being polite I could always do it even without Thai language, by pointing, smiling writing.

Whenever I had problems, it was because didn't know what I want (pharmacy) or being plain silly but not by not being helpful.

Must be a different country you are living in.

I never needed protection or any other to get what I want. As well I don't need (in the meaning of for free) anything from Thai society. What I want I buy. Being polite I could always do it even without Thai language, by pointing, smiling writing.

Whenever I had problems, it was because didn't know what I want (pharmacy) or being plain silly but not by not being helpful.

Must be a different country you are living in.

Well good for you !

3 Education is how to do this in whatever country, but when the uneducated keep voting for people who want to keep them uneducated as educated people don't vote for them and most people in Thailand never meet a foreigner let alone communicate with them you maybe waiting a long time for the racist portion of Thai people to change.

5 I doubt all the taxi drivers displaying those stickers can read those stickers. What about drivers working for a company or renting the cab that joined after the sticker was put on the cab ?

Yes that's what we're doing, is that bad ?

Yes that's what we're doing, is that bad ?

No. Did I say it was ?

Well, I’m gob smacked.

I’ve had a few bad experiences but nothing on the scale of the OP.

I can only put in down to an attitude problem or the OP is suffering from a persecution complex? But I must admit many of the farangs that are turning up in this land seem to be just plain old nasty and even me, a stinking farang myself, detests them on site. I’m suffering from an opposite type of syndrome, where it has been from farangs that I have experienced the most rudeness and arrogant behaviour.

Perhaps the OP is of those sorts and doesn’t realise the fact. Whatever, there is something not right here and he could be acting in ways that are winding people up and perhaps should consider whether Thailand is for him?

This is the system, get use to it or.....

Exactly. Back in the US a Thai once asked me how to get somewhere on the public transport. My response was "if you were rich enough to get here from thailand, then you are rich enough to take a taxi." I then pointed to the cab stand, smiled and walked away.cowboy.gif

Wouldn't it of been hilarious if the guy pulled a gun and blew your head off for being such a tosser.

cheesy.gif

Aneliane, seems to me that though SOME Thais may use racism as one stick to beat foreigners with when they are upset - particularly when they are upset about something we've done that is different from what Thais would do- it is not something one would run into every single day from all the Thais around. If Thais are upset at *you*, *personally*, then you are more likely to be getting this bad attitude that you seem to be experiencing.

I get overcharged sometimes- but not *consistently*- or I wouldn't know about it. That's why it doesn't keep up. I don't go back to the shops that I've discovered have tried to overcharge me. Works a treat. Speaking Thai from the outset with a shopkeeper/vendor also lets them know that funny business is much less likely to succeed.

Other than that, the main group of Thais around me are easy to get along with and I don't have issues with them. They smile, chat, make small talk with me- in Thai- and I feel like I'm part of the neighborhood/school/community.

The only reason I can think of why it might not be something about you or someone/thing you are associated with personally, is if you are some kind of tourist area where most of the Thais are basically tourist service workers. Those poor people have become more jaded towards foreigners than almost anyone else, and I would hardly blame them. The solution is to choose somewhere else to live/work/function.

Good luck.

Why?

Frugal does not mean poor.

My dogs are not smelly, they get shampooed every week

I wear l'occitane perfume, Gap Zara, and French connection clothes

My look is a mix of trendy parisian / classic / ethnic chic.

Perhaps then the locals do not like you for wearing 100US$ perfumes and 100US$ clothes and batering for a 20 baht fried pumpkin!

As for your look

trendy parisian / classic / ethnic chic.

I hate to be the one to tell you this but at 42 you ain't no chic!

I tried to help, spent a lot of time on you, I retire gracefully, good luck!

Edited by GentlemanJim

When I first read the op's topic, I felt that I couldn’t empathise with her situation or question.

Now, I just feel sadness ...

She obviously has an inner strength and a compassionate, caring nature.

Sort of reminds me of that lovable excentric Aunt who never married, never really knew true love (or knew true love once but now that that moment has been lost) and for some reason, every day seems a battle just to survive with some dignity.

I don't suggest for one moment aneliane is that Auntie sitting in the corner, alone, patting the dog.

Maybe not so much the originial question that needs answering, but some warmth and compassion needs to be shown.

Sometimes we don't need to have answers ...

Learn Thai. If I were Thai, and the same farang kept coming round putting me through a game of charades just to order a meal or something, I'd avoid her too. I'd also take offense toward her unwillingness to learn the local language. It's called communication.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

When I first read the op's topic, I felt that I couldn’t empathise with her situation or question.

Now, I just feel sadness ...

She obviously has an inner strength and a compassionate, caring nature.

Sort of reminds me of that lovable excentric Aunt who never married, never really knew true love (or knew true love once but now that that moment has been lost) and for some reason, every day seems a battle just to survive with some dignity.

I don't suggest for one moment aneliane is that Auntie sitting in the corner, alone, patting the dog.

Maybe not so much the originial question that needs answering, but some warmth and compassion needs to be shown.

Sometimes we don't need to have answers ...

I don't need compassion, I need honnesty.

Ok it is obviously impossible to adress this issue here and every answer is unfortunately questioning me.

It is a shame that you cannot deal with a dent in your paradise pretty pic,

My personal situation has nothing to do with the establish racism in this country, and as I said previously I met other foreigners who admit they experienced it. Amongs them, a british journalist for the financial times, an italian manager at UNO, a korean painter, a head teacher in an international school.

I actually read here also on Thaivisa some posts about the institutionalization of racism in Thailand.

I realize it is a taboo question for most of you I think are in denial.

I love Thailand, but I am able to look at this country and see its failures.

I wish I could have found some people who share the same views, here but I think I gave too much info about me which gave arguments to people in denial.

Oh well, live and learn !

Best wishes!

Edited by aneliane