Racism Against Farangs

aneliane

The first step is to refuse to be called, and referred to as a "farang".

The more we encourage them to call us "farang", the more distant and objectified we become.

We could at least try to encourage them to start to notice our different nationalities, it will be one step closer to make them realize we are people too.

Personally, I do not like the word "farang" at all.

• Like 1

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Racism against Farangs?

Not in Thailand.

Farangs are always treated as King in Thailand, as thai needs Farang hard currencies.

If any Thais do not treat Farangs as King, you may try to complaint to TAT or tourist police; they have KPI to make Farangs happy in Thailand.

Yeah that works as long as you play along with the "rich farang" scenario.

If they think you have no money,and don't wear the de rigueur look, then you become dirt.

What you are experiencing is perceived racism, not racism. And yes, there are studies linking perceived racism to nonclinical paranoia.

I think you've nailed it, in a nutshell. I would think one of the symptoms of nonclinical paranoia would be denial. I'd venture to say the OP is in full denial.

For those who grew up in the west, in my case the USA, the word "racism" conjures up all sorts of ugly images. Slavery, cross-burnings, lynchings, and the like. In contemporary times, it's inability to get a job, housing, loans, or even to hail a cab. It's being stopped by the police while driving or walking around because they look "suspicious." And so on.

Here in the LOS, we have TV members crying "racism" because the cashier at Tesco won't empty their basket. Surely Ms. Aneliane can see the absurdity of such claims. It doesn't even register.

If you are a convenience store clerk in rough part of an American city and you've been robbed 6 times by young black males wearing hoodies, then chances are you MIGHT become a bit racist and not so happy when you see another black male wearing a hoodie enter your store.

Agreed. clap2.gif

Sorry to burst bubbles again but racism does not necessarily get expressed in extreme violent cases like the ones you mentioned (cross burning ..)

And "You are MIGHT" is just grammatically wrong, but Im not "a native speaker" as said regine, so who am I to say that ?

Let's go back to basics : racism definition ; Racism is the behavior of discriminating for or against people on the basis of race.

Thank you Wikipedia

smile.png

Sorry to burst bubbles, but it seems you are mightly wrong.

Try to read Ian's post again, pls .

I am not a native speaker either, but i find nothing wrong in Ian's grammar ( except maybe he's a bit tight with commas )

coffee1.gif

Racism against Farangs?

Not in Thailand.

Farangs are always treated as King in Thailand, as thai needs Farang hard currencies.

If any Thais do not treat Farangs as King, you may try to complaint to TAT or tourist police; they have KPI to make Farangs happy in Thailand.

Yeah that works as long as you play along with the "rich farang" scenario.

If they think you have no money,and don't wear the de rigueur look, then you become dirt.

Maybe you are "dirt " for ignorant people.

Personally i don't have a lot of time for ignorant people, so i chose to ignore them.

Oh, and i don't agree anyway, i am working for a living in Thailand, and nobody treat me like 'dirt'

The more we encourage them to call us "farang", the more distant and objectified we become.

We could at least try to encourage them to start to notice our different nationalities, it will be one step closer to make them realize we are people too.

Is this the 698th thread about Farang not being or being an offensive word or the 712th thread?

What I am saying here kid, ever since there has been a Thai Visa people have been discussing this issue and this word. Trust me it has all been said before years ago and months ago and weeks ago and the people who think Farang is a bad word have always been proved wrong. But don't take my word for it. Look back at anyone of the 700 odd threads about the word Farang over the past 10 years.

• Like 1

Agree

I don't like it either when on a tuck tuck a driver speaks openly about me, how is going to make a pass at me (which he did afterwards) and how he's ripping me off blind, (told the price he charged me) to a motorcycle driver as if we could not understand anything or were not here.

I don't like it when motorcycle drivers just put their helmet before you talk to them to tell them where you want to go and make you repeat 15 times "sam sip jet" 37

Ok my accent is crap but the nicer one next to him has got it straight away and tells him in good thai "soi samsip jet";

Yet he still wants apparently to give me a a free Thai lesson on pronunciation, pretends not to understand, and makes me repeat over and over "Sâaaam Sip Djeeeet"

Obviously you arrived on a "let's have fun with the Farang " moment and if you are fed up with this crap / are late / tired/ hot & thirsty and just want to go home and ask the other nicer guy to get a ride, you become not only the horrible person dishonor Thai language, but also a motorcycle taxi organization vandal - they have a queue system-

So the first guy loses faces (he wish he could have humiliate the Farang much longer) and he gestures to overcharge me (two finger-20bahts instead of 15) which obviously is nothing, but it still feel like you can never get it right, and feel frustrated.

Ok I have not been burned, raped, or killed in an horrible manner, but it's never nice.

But as Dr Regine said it is probably only racial paranoia!

:)

LOL. Yet you have no issue calling all Thais 'them'. :rolleyes:

Anyway, good luck with that.

( Say it loud, I'm Farang and I'm Proud. :P )

• Like 2

Sorry to burst bubbles again but racism does not necessarily get expressed in extreme violent cases like the ones you mentioned (cross burning ..)

And "You are MIGHT" is just grammatically wrong, but Im not "a native speaker" as said regine, so who am I to say that ?

Let's go back to basics : racism definition ; Racism is the behavior of discriminating for or against people on the basis of race.

Thank you Wikipedia

smile.png

If you are going to quote me and my SUPPOSED mistake, then please get the quote correct and don't place the words out of order.

I did NOT say... "You are MIGHT". YOU placed "you" before the "are", not me. Please re-read what I wrote..

"then chances are you MIGHT become a bit racist "

Agree

I don't like it either when on a tuck tuck a driver speaks openly about me, how is going to make a pass at me (which he did afterwards) and how he's ripping me off blind, (told the price he charged me) to a motorcycle driver as if we could not understand anything or were not here.

I don't like it when motorcycle drivers just put their helmet before you talk to them to tell them where you want to go and make you repeat 15 times "sam sip jet" 37

Ok my accent is crap but the nicer one next to him has got it straight away and tells him in good thai "soi samsip jet";

Yet he still wants apparently to give me a a free Thai lesson on pronunciation, pretends not to understand, and makes me repeat over and over "Sâaaam Sip Djeeeet"

Obviously you arrived on a "let's have fun with the Farang " moment and if you are fed up with this crap / are late / tired/ hot & thirsty and just want to go home and ask the other nicer guy to get a ride, you become not only the horrible person dishonor Thai language, but also a motorcycle taxi organization vandal - they have a queue system-

So the first guy loses faces (he wish he could have humiliate the Farang much longer) and he gestures to overcharge me (two finger-20bahts instead of 15) which obviously is nothing, but it still feel like you can never get it right, and feel frustrated.

Ok I have not been burned, raped, or killed in an horrible manner, but it's never nice.

smile.png

I got the answer for you. It is Karma for the Australian rejection of the Japanese racial equality clause to the League of Nations. Billy Huges the PM of Australia said, “ninety-five out of one hundred Australians rejected the very idea of equality."

To make a long story short Australia caused the League of Nations to reject the racial equality clause and this turned Japan away from the West and many historians believe the reason for Japan's nationalistic policies that led to WWII and Thailand's involvement in WWII and hence the racial problems you are experiencing today.

So, I would just grin and bare it, as not really your fault, except if your home country was one of the members of the League of Nations.

I live and work in Thailand and have a brilliant wife and an amazing set of in-laws etc here. We visit them on a regular basis, they often use 'farang' to describe me. They love me, I love them. I know for a fact that if this was seen as even slightly derogatory or racist my wife and her family would never even think of using it.

It seems like a lot of people are bringing their overly politically correct views on racism and pigeon holing over from their 'home' countries outside of Asia.

Thank you Wikipedia

smile.png

If you are going to quote me and my SUPPOSED mistake, then please get the quote correct and don't place the words out of order.

I did NOT say... "You are MIGHT". YOU placed "you" before the "are", not me. Please re-read what I wrote..

oops ur right sorry

I live and work in Thailand and have a brilliant wife and an amazing set of in-laws etc here. We visit them on a regular basis, they often use 'farang' to describe me. They love me, I love them. I know for a fact that if this was seen as even slightly derogatory or racist my wife and her family would never even think of using it.

It seems like a lot of people are bringing their overly politically correct views on racism and pigeon holing over from their 'home' countries outside of Asia.

713th

Good for you !

No one said racism touch us all.

Some of us are obviously more protected than others

I bet that if I had a Thai spouse / family it would change a lot of things too

Agree

smile.png

I got the answer for you. It is Karma for the Australian rejection of the Japanese racial equality clause to the League of Nations. Billy Huges the PM of Australia said, “ninety-five out of one hundred Australians rejected the very idea of equality."

To make a long story short Australia caused the League of Nations to reject the racial equality clause and this turned Japan away from the West and many historians believe the reason for Japan's nationalistic policies that led to WWII and Thailand's involvement in WWII and hence the racial problems you are experiencing today.

So, I would just grin and bare it, as not really your fault, except if your home country was one of the members of the League of Nations.

japan got rejected by the West / Australia so joined Germany (who is also in the West), Im not sure Im following ??

then what's the connection with Thailand ,??

I'm sorry, Aneliane, but the more you write the more you sound a bit paranoid...

If I experience people who appear even a bit obnoxious then I just smile and ignore them. When I run into a tuk tuk driver, or motorcycle taxi trying to charge me more than the going rate, or act like they don't know what I mean then I just laugh and ignore them. A case in point...

I always stay at the same guest cottage in Kanchanaburi every time I visit that city. It is one kilometer from the bus depot to the guest cottage and an easy walk even if carrying a bag.. In years past I always took one of the 3 wheel bicycle taxis for no other reason than to help them out. It's a simple 20 baht ride and I usually gave them a10 baht tip. It's 40 baht on a motorcycle. However, this year one of them thought I was a naive tourist and tried to scam me into paying 80 baht. I told him with hand signals to stick it where the sun don't shine and I easily walked to my destination. They just lost a long term customer.

One of the reasons I come to Thailand is to give my money away. It gives me pleasure helping others. But, I give it where it does the most good, and I try to help others help themselves. However, I am not an ATM machine and I know instantly when I'm being scammed. At that point I let them know they just lost their sucker by being greedy. I no longer give to charities in North America because the poor in Canada are mostly there by choice. They waste all the opportunities to help themselves. It doesn't bother me because I have the choice to help or not help. Nobody is forcing me to do anything. If I can help just one or two people improve their lives then I am happy. I lead a frugal life and don't lack for anything, and one of my pet peeves is waste. I don't see the reasoning for pomp and splendour. I hate to see excess food thrown away. I hate to see people waste their lives due to laziness.People who put on airs by showing off what they own bother me. I dislike true racists and will call them on it... even if it is reverse racism used as an excuse for not doing what they are capable of doing... which is just another form of waste.

Thank you Wikipedia

smile.png

oops ur right sorry

Apology accepted. I will concede when I make mistakes as well... which I often do when I repeat what others have told me.

I'm sure when your delightful in-laws call you 'khwaai' it's not even slightly derogatory.

To the OP - I found that you get what you give. Is your current or have your past thoughts about life been negative? Are you friendly and treat others warmly in your day to day interactions?

Also you say you came here to help. Thais really do not need "help". Not to be rude, but it sounds like you want something in return for "helping".

Edited by Koratpat
  • Like 1

Is this the 698th thread about Farang not being or being an offensive word or the 712th thread?

What I am saying here kid, ever since there has been a Thai Visa people have been discussing this issue and this word. Trust me it has all been said before years ago and months ago and weeks ago and the people who think Farang is a bad word have always been proved wrong. But don't take my word for it. Look back at anyone of the 700 odd threads about the word Farang over the past 10 years.

The only thing that has been proven is that the word can be used in a negative way, a positive way or a neutral way.

The fact that most Thaivisa members think it is the latter doesn't prove anything.

And I do believe that anyone has the right to dislike something you might like.

Just my 2 cents

Yermaneejap.gif

I'm sorry, Aneliane, but the more you write the more you sound a bit paranoid...

If I experience people who appear even a bit obnoxious then I just smile and ignore them. When I run into a tuk tuk driver, or motorcycle taxi trying to charge me more than the going rate, or act like they don't know what I mean then I just laugh and ignore them. A case in point...

I always stay at the same guest cottage in Kanchanaburi every time I visit that city. It is one kilometer from the bus depot to the guest cottage and an easy walk even if carrying a bag.. In years past I always took one of the 3 wheel bicycle taxis for no other reason than to help them out. It's a simple 20 baht ride and I usually gave them a10 baht tip. It's 40 baht on a motorcycle. However, this year one of them thought I was a naive tourist and tried to scam me into paying 80 baht. I told him with hand signals to stick it where the sun don't shine and I easily walked to my destination. They just lost a long term customer.

Yes you are right and in most cases this is what I do too, obviously. If someone overcharges me, I walk away.

But sometimes you just don't have the choice.

The tuck tuck guy, I got him at 9pm, I had loads to carry on my hands and I told him I had 2 dogs to take with me.

He agreed but then changed his mind when he saw the dogs BECAUSE he understood that I had no other choice than him.

2 unwillling dogs who are scared of vehicules, without leashes (forgot them), plus a load on my hands how was I going to find anyone .

(the pet taxi had let me down at the last minute and regular taxis would refuse me)

Edited by aneliane

Yes you are right and in most cases this is what I do too, obviously. If someone overcharges me, I walk away.

The tuck tuck guy, I got him at 9pm, I had loads to carry on my hands and I told him I had 2 dogs to take with me.

He agreed but then changed his mind when he saw the dogs BECAUSE he understood that I had no other choice than him.

2 unwillling dogs who are scared of vehicules, without leashes (forgot them), plus a load on my hands how was I going to find anyone .

(the pet taxi had let me down at the last minute and regular taxis would refuse me)

please remind me how this is racist again?

I dont get offended, but it does show a certain level of ignorance on the person using the term. Especially when used to generalise people from Australia to Finland to South Africa to Canada as being the same, having the same cultural identity, likes, dislikes, traditions, interests and sadly bank balance.

So instead of looking on in scorn when referred to with that term instead look upon the poor chap with a sense of pity that he is not as educated and 'worldly' as you, and can't differentiate let alone enjoy the rich tapestry of cultural nuances the very different people of the world have to offer.

What do you know? you are just farang!

On a serious note, yes, I know the word is neutral. But so what? It still does not help us to become more human, its rather the opposite.

I dont get offended, but it does show a certain level of ignorance on the person using the term. Especially when used to generalise people from Australia to Finland to South Africa to Canada as being the same, having the same cultural identity, likes, dislikes, traditions, interests and sadly bank balance.

Yes, I agree, totally

So instead of looking on in scorn when referred to with that term instead look upon the poor chap with a sense of pity that he is not as educated and 'worldly' as you

I think it would not help, a more effective way, would be to just simply, tell them, No I am not farang, I am (insert your nationality here)

I previously explained that the tuck tuck driver stopped and talked to a motorcycle in traffic and explain that he was having a farang as customer but only because he overcharged me & would make a pass at me (which he did later on)

read my previous post

I previously explained that the tuck tuck driver stopped and talked to a motorcycle in traffic and explain that he was having a farang as customer but only because he overcharged me & would make a pass at me (which he did later on)

read my previous post

How do you know this when you don't speak Thai?

Yes, I agree, totally

So instead of looking on in scorn when referred to with that term instead look upon the poor chap with a sense of pity that he is not as educated and 'worldly' as you

I think it would not help, a more effective way, would be to just simply, tell them, No I am not farang, I am (insert your nationality here)

I think your one man crusade against the word farang, while admirable, is doomed to failure because most white people don't give a dam_n.

read my previous post

Sorry, don't have the time to go back and read it, as I have an appointment to go and get my penis put through a cheese grater, the latter obviously being less painful and more productive use of my time.

How do you know this when you don't speak Thai?

That's what I was thinking. You'd need very advanced Thai to understand a conversation like that in the middle of Bangkok's noisy traffic, yet she's already said she hears the word 'farang' but doesn't understand what people are saying about her.

Yes, I agree, totally

Good luck with that. Considering that most Thais have trouble placing their own country on a map, let alone having even heard of such made up places as 'Luxembourg' and 'Argentina' I doubt you will get far. If you want to go down that road the complete Thai education system needs a total overhaul, and thats a completely different yet equally pointless debate.

Edited by Kananga