Thai Nickname

BKK90210

I'm thinking about building a vacation home in Thailand soon and I want to blend in with the thai culture and my neighbourhood while living there. I have a question regarding thais using nicknames.

Every thais that I know of have a nickname. Is it still popular here to have one? Should I have a nickname too? I think they're absolutely cute!

It's fine if your real name is John, Don, or something short..... But try to have a long name like Alexander, Lawrence, Issabella.... They will have a hard time pronoucing your name. Did all of you have a nickname while living in thailand too? What are some of your "acceptable nicknames"?

I always come across Thai nicknames using only 1 syllable, like Fa, Dao, Pat......

But never 2 or 3 syllables, except my friend dog "Orange Juice"

I'm thinking about mine could be "TeaCup". Is this sound right? I had asked my mom who is thai, but she said any name will do it! It just for fun. But I don't trust my mom, sometime I'm not so sure if she's trying to be funny or not.

In addition what if we have an emergency or our embassy need to find us and evacuate us, but couldn't locate me as a person with the real name? Because every thais in the village will know me as "TeaCup". This could be a problem, isn't it?

Edited by BKK90210

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that in the local village is Farang prang see because I live at moo Ban 4, about 6 km from the village and at the moment I am the only farang living up this end.

If the embassy need to find me they can look up in their registration log as I am registered, and as for evacuating me, forget it.

I live here and where would they send me to, UK?

Not for me.

My Name is Michael and they call me something like Michelle.

not a nickname but all use it....

I'm thinking about building a vacation home in Thailand soon and I want to blend in with the thai culture and my neighbourhood while living there.  I have a question regarding thais using nicknames.

Every thais that I know of have a nickname.  Is it still popular here to have one?  Should I have a nickname too?  I think they're absolutely cute!

It's fine if your real name is John, Don, or something short.....  But try to have a long name like Alexander, Lawrence, Issabella....  They will have a hard time pronoucing your name.  Did all of you have a nickname while living in thailand too?  What are some of your "acceptable nicknames"?

I always come across Thai nicknames using only 1 syllable, like Fa, Dao, Pat......

I'm thinking about mine could be "TeaCup".  Is this sound right?  I had asked my mom who is thai, but she said any name will do it!  It just for fun.  But I don't trust my mom, sometime I'm not so sure if she's trying to be funny or not.

In addition what if we have an emergency or our embassy need to find us and evacuate us, but couldn't locate me as a person with the real name? Because every thais in the village will know me as "TeaCup".  This could be a problem, isn't it?

I'm thinking about building a vacation home in Thailand soon and I want to blend in with the thai culture and my neighbourhood while living there.  I have a question regarding thais using nicknames.

Every thais that I know of have a nickname.  Is it still popular here to have one?  Should I have a nickname too?  I think they're absolutely cute!

It's fine if your real name is John, Don, or something short.....  But try to have a long name like Alexander, Lawrence, Issabella....  They will have a hard time pronoucing your name.  Did all of you have a nickname while living in thailand too?  What are some of your "acceptable nicknames"?

I'm thinking about mine could be "TeaCup".  Is this sound right?  I had asked my mom who is thai, but she said any name will do it!  It just for fun.  But I don't trust my mom, sometime I'm not so sure if she's trying to be funny or not.

In addition what if we have an emergency or our embassy need to find us and evacuate us, but couldn't locate me as a person with the real name? Because every thais in the village will know me as "TeaCup".  This could be a problem, isn't it?

I once read a book on the origins of Thai traditions, culture, etc. that stated the origins of Thai nicknames came from the belief that evil spirits would take away new born babies if they understood their names. Therefore on birth a baby would be given a nickname by the parents so the spirits could not find them. At 1 month the child would then be given a proper name as they would be safe. A belief obviously stemmed from huge child mortality rates. Don't know if this is true, but sounds logical considering Thai belief in ghosts.

How about "Somchai" ?

she is a girl..doh :D

must be "som ying" :D:D

@ the OP ..plenty thai have farang Nick (some have funny name for farang too as popcorn ,cake,bunny,jam,etc) (ok ,my nick is farang word ..parents named it for 32 yrs)

IMO i think you can use your farang 's name too..but maybe cut it sor shorter..

Alexander, > alex

Lawrence, >lary

Issabella>issy

and if you prefer to have TH name indeed..maybe you just tell me whats the word you like so i can invent it

as ..you like sky or blue so it'd be Fah

star = dow

diamond =petch

etc :o

bambina is the OP a girl? I think he was a boy? :D

Why not register at the American Embasy with your given name but tell them you also have a great thai nickname "teacup" thats v funny btw :D

I have a few thai friends who have changed their nickname as they got older as they didn't like the ones given as babies or else they just became too embarrasing. When at home my hubbys friends call him in thai "fat baby"which is what his mum named him but everyone else knows him by the name he chose for himself when he left home :D:o

How about "Somchai" ?

@ the OP ..plenty thai have farang Nick (some have funny name for farang too as popcorn ,cake,bunny,jam,etc) (ok ,my nick is farang word ..parents named it for 32 yrs)

Alexander, > alex

Lawrence, >lary

Issabella>issy

and if you prefer to have TH name indeed..maybe you just tell me whats the word you like so i can invent it

star = dow

diamond =petch

etc :o

OK then....how about...

It must be something that sound pretty.....very pretty.....something short.....with the sweet sound into it.....absolutely has to be very unique but not too strange.....a name that I can grow old with without having to change it again.....OH!..and must be the name that will make every thais wanted to name their daughters like mine!

That's it! :D

Edited by BKK90210

How about "Somchai" ?

Alexander, > alex

Lawrence, >lary

Issabella>issy

star = dow

diamond =petch

etc :D

OK then....how about...

It must be something that sound pretty.....very pretty.....something short.....with the sweet sound into it.....absolutely has to be very unique but not too strange.....a name that I can grow old with without having to change it again.....OH!..and must be the name that will make every thais wanted to name their daughters like mine!

That's it! :D

Candy? :o

(stole from Tuky's thread)

Explorer :D

OK then....how about...

the name i tell you , its not thats unique..but sweet (for girl)

num pueng = honey

num wan = syrup

num tan = sugar

me.. i just tell my friend to call me "Nong Num Ma Nade" น้องน้ำมะเน็ด

nong = sister

num =water

ma nade = from lemonade :D:D

(when my grand mum was young, in LOS we had a special soda from farang land thai call ot "num ma nade" - lemonade soda)

i think this one is Unique ...and i start to call myself like that ..when friends call me by old nick .. i slap all :o )

well..i wish i could change my nick..but too lazy ...(my real nick was from my birth month..and i still like it) :D

well .. u can borrow my new nick ...no one in TH has it .. i BET :D:D

Edited by BambinA

Okay, you can be Phloi (gem/jewel)... if you have kids, your daughter can be Praphai (Ai), and your sons can be Praphan (An), Praphot (Ot) or Praphon (On).  :o  Okay... I like Sii Paendin too much.

Phloi - sound ok...but look strange....won't work with my friend in the US

An, ot - sound funny and unfinished

and

On - can't imagine telling all the farangs both in thailand and US.....Just call me "ON" o.k? :D

OK then....how about...

the name i tell you , its not thats unique..but sweet (for girl)

well .. u can borrow my new nick ...no one in TH has it .. i BET :o:D

You mean "Bambina"?... Sorry but I don't borrow....it must be either yours or mine only!

num pueng = honey

num wan = syrup

num tan = sugar

NO.....Sound too lickable to me....not good

Edited by BKK90210

Your requirement:

- sweet/cute

- lasts a lifetime

- unique

well, hard to have all, but how about:

- Lookmee (like a teddy bear)

- Lookgait (like a raisin)

- Jam (which in Thai becomes Yam which is easy for farang to say too)

- Geow (if you insist on tea cup, well, maybe class is better than cup, but hard for a foreigner to say)

- Cherry (easy for foreigner to say, fruit name is cute and sweet), can write for extra style points Cheri

I hate the car nicknames like Benz etc - most of the people with these names are too poor to even own a Benz, and anyway, why would you want to be named after smelly heavy object that lots of people get inside all the time?

BTW Somchai = full name, not nickname

Also, many people have several nicknames with different friends they use different names e.g. with western friends a nickname like C or Apple, and then with Thai friends a Thai nickname, maybe Durian or Som :-)))))) :o

I give her a lot of german nick names, and she likes it, at least till she find out what they mean :D:D:D:D

My wife calling me A-Baah or rang-baah
How about "Somchai" ?

Quite a common nick for us white long-noses, my wife calls me this as well! :o

The Thais will give you a nickname, if you don't have a short, easy name.

A friend of mine is Constantine, his gf calls him 'Kon Quan Tin', so you'd better think of a nick before they do! :D:D

Your requirement:

- sweet/cute

- lasts a lifetime

- unique

well, hard to have all, but how about:

- Lookmee (like a teddy bear)

- Lookgait (like a raisin)

- Jam (which in Thai becomes Yam which is easy for farang to say too)

- Geow (if you insist on tea cup, well, maybe class is better than cup, but hard for a foreigner to say)

- Cherry (easy for foreigner to say, fruit name is cute and sweet), can write for extra style points Cheri

Lookmee - sound too baby to me

Lookgait (raisin) - not good name to associate with a women :o

Geow - hard to say

Jam, Cherry - too commonnnnn!

But thanks though....for trying