This Is The First News Article I'Ve Seen Which Claims Anti-Gay Violence/Killings In Thailand

submaniac

I came across this news article:

http://www.windycitymediagroup.com/lgbt/Advocates-Thai-police-ignore-15-killings-of-lesbian-tomboys/36917.html

The International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission (IGLHRC) wrote a letter to the Thai government requesting investigations into the deaths of 15 lesbians. Frankly this is the first time I have heard of any anti-gay violence or killings in Thailand. Thailand has a general reputation for tolerance so I was kind of shocked to read about it. I myself don't know what to make of it; I don't know if the killings identified in the letter/article were based upon sexual preference or if it was a crime that happened to be against someone who was a lesbian. I mean, gay or straight, people may rub someone the wrong way regardless of sexuality, and may be a victim of a crime. Just thought people on this forum may be interested so I am sharing.

I have the feeling that this article points more to the continuing, under-reported and often-ignored issue of violence against women in general, than to a specific societal homophobia. While I'm sure that some of these women unfortunately were chosen as targets by being 'different', I would regard it more as abuse of the feminine- in line with how some kathoeys get mistreated, or how the police would ignore their abuse- than of a generally widespread homophobia.

Also, I note that one of the few specific examples cited is of child abuse by a father of his daughter- another unreported and sadly uncontrolled phenomenon. The 'excuse' for the abuse was that the daughter was apparently becoming a lesbian, but I don't credit that. She was abused because her father was a disturbed, abusive POS who never should have been a parent.

Part of the problem is the attitude towards women. Another part of the problem is the lack of law enforcement in general. I think certain women may be more likely to be targetted because of their difference, but that homophobia is only part of the problem here.

For 'police ignored the killings', I would suggest that it is probably truer to say 'police did not solve the killings'. Thai police are not very good at catching murderers. But they may also have bothered less about them because they were perceived to be deviants.

Thai police are not very good at catching murderers.

Is this based on facts or the usual ThaiVisa-farang-are superior-to-Thais-in-every-way thought process that generates its own "knowledge base?"

They certainly seem to spend a great deal of time apprehending foreigners who have eluded the Keystone Cops in UK, the USA and elsewhere.

I dunno, what about the multiple-woman-raping taxi driver who already had a number of police complaints against him?

Or the fact that when people were shot during the drug-killings madness, they 'couldn't' figure out whose bullets hit the 9yo kid in the crossfire because there is no police register?

They truly are not good at forensics. Or at keeping the peace in Bangkok. Or at helping out during civil crises, like the flood. Or, well, just about anything else except....

Thai police are not very good at catching murderers.

Is this based on facts or the usual ThaiVisa-farang-are superior-to-Thais-in-every-way thought process that generates its own "knowledge base?"

They certainly seem to spend a great deal of time apprehending foreigners who have eluded the Keystone Cops in UK, the USA and elsewhere.

No, Suradit (perhaps you really are Thai?), it is based on my own limited experience.

A foreigner who blends in with the masses in the UK sticks out like a sore thumb in Thailand.

seems to be a world-wide campaign-now back from TH since 2 weeks the newspprs here in EUR are (well-the leftish ones, think Guardian and alike) are also full of them-mainly on the African ''we''ll teach those lesbo's a lesson'' hate-crime and about police changing tactics when it was an apparent gay murdered. Probably a world-wide NGO having started some campaign.

Same newsppr had some investigation about the claim that women are supposed to do 66% of all work in this world and only get 10% of all pay.

Thailand has one of the highest rates of homicide and violent crime in the world and the police are hardly regarded as a paragon of crime-solving efficiency, but the IGLHRC still seems to have found only 15 assorted cases of murder, rape and child sexual abuse that were apparently committed against lesbians in six years, a number of which have been apparently been solved in as much as those who committed the crimes have been identified.

The only “pattern” that seems to indicate is that if you are a lesbian you are far less likely to be raped or murdered than anyone else ….. and they’re complaining?

I don't disagree that worldwide, women are more discriminated against and there is a legitimate reason for their need to organise and demand better treatment. (And we're not going to have a lengthy debate on that on this thread). But it doesn't seem like a compellingly true statement that the number of unsolved murders involving lesbianism in Thailand is so out of proportion compared to all the other unsolved murders and crimes that it merits the label of homophobia rather than incompetence/corruption.

Basically, what LCV said, though I don't blame anyone for complaining about murder!