Thai PM Yingluck Targets Tourism Revenue To Reach 2 Trillion Baht In 5 Years

webfact

"Come to Thailand, we promise not to close the airports again"

"Come to Thailand, we promise not to burn down Bangkok again"

"Come to Thailand, where you can go rafting from Udon all the Way to Pathum Thani"

"Come to Thailand, we promise the van driver will not flee after crashing the van"

"Come to Thailand, we will love you as long as you have money"

"Come to Thailand, we will only charge you a little but extra"

Last one you, turn out hte lights

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One day they will fall of their high horses and it´s going to hurt.

Reminds me of a quote from a favourite book.

Here lies a toppled god,

His fall was not a small one,

We did but build his pedestal,

A narrow and a tall one.

• Like 1

"Come to Thailand, we promise not to close the airports again"

"Come to Thailand, we promise not to burn down Bangkok again"

"Come to Thailand, where you can go rafting from Udon all the Way to Pathum Thani"

"Come to Thailand, we promise the van driver will not flee after crashing the van"

"Come to Thailand, we will love you as long as you have money"

"Come to Thailand, we will only charge you a little but extra"

Last one you, turn out hte lights

Bangkok the Venice of Asia, again next November....

Yeah, good luck with that. 2 trillion baht is 65 billion dollars, near what France makes from tourism every year and they have 80 million tourists per year, 4 times the amount Thailand has.

But I'm sure if Yingluck wants 2 trillion in revenue, then that is what TAT will report regardless of how ridiculous it is.

Ah yes but given the apparent attempts by the govt to dramatically drive up inflation they might actually achieve this figure???? Muppets the lot of em

Yes devalue the Baht to half the value would work.

And in a bid to replicate the enourmous success in the UK of organizing tourist tours around the Cadbury's Chocolate factory Thailand will be launching the pseudoephedrine Mystery tour, where tourists can guess the location of up to 10 million tablets used to bolster salaries of some Government officials.

cheesy.gif Now that's funny!!!

-mel.

so the government is looking the tourists as just MONEY and REVENUE ? well dear PM , before that you need a good clean up in the infrastructures , get rid of all jet ski scams, brothel, gogo bar , massage parlor , corruption at every level , dangerous roads, long queues at immigration etc .. then maybe you can start to think as Thailand as a major tourism destination. Yes Thailand has everything , great beaches , nice food but what about the rest ? Dont think Thailand is like the french riviera or costa del sol in Spain .. It has many good points but also too many bad ...good luck anyway .... as for sure a miracle is needed ....

So, you want they should get rid of the Thainess?

A few of you have not been to Burma they have a long way to go before they rival Thailand as a tourist destination. I am not a PTP or Big T supporter but a few of you let you anti thailand feelings get in the way of good common sense in regards to tourism in southeast asia. Burma need a lot more hotels and infrastructure before they even get close to Thailand. Backpackers with Lonely Planet are not the defination of a sucessful tourism program.

so the government is looking the tourists as just MONEY and REVENUE ? well dear PM , before that you need a good clean up in the infrastructures , get rid of all jet ski scams, brothel, gogo bar , massage parlor , corruption at every level , dangerous roads, long queues at immigration etc .. then maybe you can start to think as Thailand as a major tourism destination. Yes Thailand has everything , great beaches , nice food but what about the rest ? Dont think Thailand is like the french riviera or costa del sol in Spain .. It has many good points but also too many bad ...good luck anyway .... as for sure a miracle is needed ....

As usual the unenformed bring up a very small part of Thai tourism

Ms Yingluck said she is proud to tell the world that Thailand is a top world class tourism destination. Despite the country suffering one of the worst floods in history,and the bombs and the sexual predators and the drug runners and the reckless drivers and the muggings and the hotels without safety systems and the fugitives and the crooked cops and politicos...Shall I go on Yingluck...?

Edited by TeddyFlyfisherDavis

To generate the kind of numbers that Yingluck is spouting, they better do something about the airport as it is at capacity now.

Perhaps if she were to click her heels together three times and make a wish, her dreams will come true.

Where did she get her degree from.

If the Burmese can hire a savvy marketing company to put a package together offering something completely different from Thailand, it will leave this country in its dust.

But the Burmese don't smile - so not gonna work. rolleyes.gif

They wil leran that very quick in faster than Thai people learn how not to rip off tourists

The Burmese are by far the friendliest and warm-heartest people I have met on any trip so far.

If this country will take off - and if they are smart and capable of thinking long-term - Thailand's tourism will implode in the next few years. Especially if Burma would [a] allow foreigners fair conditions to start businesses and start to close their eyes on prostitution (look at Pattaya: pretty much the only reason why [Western] foreigners are still coming there despite the scams, ripoffs, polluted beaches, polluted water and potholes on the roads are the girls) they would take Thailand's tourism apart from all 3 fronts: the business investors and numerous startup-1-man-shows, the middle class sex tourists and third, the backpacking crowds, who are usually the first wave preparing for the 'big cows' (major tourism). The Burmese middle class could start to make real business on their own, while the lower class would conveniently be 'fed' by the softened Westerners who fall in love with the 'charming' Burmese women just as the did and still do for Thailand's Issaan.

Why this potential for Burma? It is cheap, friendly and stunningly beautiful.

Thailand is polluted, loud, unfriendly/lying 'but polite' wink.png, corrupt, has become expensive and the constant ripoffs, two-tier pricing, xenophobia, ridiculous conditions for foreigners if they want to start a business or buy land in Thailand and the numerous scams have already caused this country lots of damage.

So to say it short: good luck with that, Yingluck!

Edited by pepi2005

Thailand once had a Charming,Mystical, Ambience,unique in the world of Tourism,It has been eroded year on year,and will be extremely difficult to turn back the clock now,you can't replace atmosphere and a good feeling of well being,even though trying to talk it up,the Tourists will still look for the best deal,and Thailand is nowhere near as cheap as even five years ago.

Ms Yingluck said she is proud to tell the world that Thailand is a top world class tourism destination. Despite the country suffering one of the worst floods in history,and the bombs and the sexual predators and the drug runners and the reckless drivers and the muggings and the hotels without safety systems and the fugitives and the crooked cops and politicos...Shall I go on Yingluck...?

+all tourist killed in accidents, suicides.

32 swedes so far, this year.

To generate the kind of numbers that Yingluck is spouting, they better do something about the airport as it is at capacity now.

Perhaps if she were to click her heels together three times and make a wish, her dreams will come true.

Where did she get her degree from.

Kindergarden?

I don't want to be the lone voice of reason BUT!!!!...........the Chinese will be pouring into Thailand in numbers that you cannot believe, and they will be spending per capita in figures that you cannot believe too.

There is far more to Thai tourism than farangs, and you will quickly find farangs becoming a poor second to the Chinese. If you want a taste of what is to come......look at Pattaya, it's now a suburb of Moscow, a mass invasion of a brand new market has completely changed the town, and the Chinese will be pouring in in even bigger numbers.........the days of Americans and Scandinavians being important to the Thai market are nearly over.

The Brits will still be important only due to the fact of the sheer numbers that pour in, and even we will start to be intimidated by the sheer numbers of Chinese.............these guys are all flash and cash, they will spend spend spend at a rate that will shame the Japanese.

It's a comin' down the road.

ps........before you start flaming, all those that saw the Russian invasion of Pattaya coming 10 years ago sign here

Edited by theblether

Triple tourism revenue in 5 years?

Miracle Thailand, indeed.

Maybe 2T baht is after accounting for inflation, which is set to rise due to the government's populist policies like the rice pledging scheme. So 2T baht may not actually be worth as much in real terms in 5 years.

The obvious solution is to devalue the Baht. If they added a couple of zeros to every denomination, that should do it. rolleyes.gif

+all tourist killed in accidents, suicides.

32 swedes so far, this year.

Yes Skywalker...My heart goes out to all those people...It seems most of those that have the most unfortunate experiences here are from European countries...I don;t understand and it is most disturbing...RIP to all...I hope Yingluck wakes up...Peace

You forgot Farang suicides.

• Like 1

You forgot Farang suicides.

My bad...I had a friend do the deed a few months ago...RIP to all...
  • Like 1

I was lined up at Swampy immigration for 2 hours with a few hundred Chinese and Russians who, like myself were not impressed with the debacle, whith the combination of the internet and word of mouth it will not be long before tourists will be looking at alternate destinations and PM Yingluck will need to revise her revenue estimates.