Generic True Router - Access For Gfs Brother'S Ipad

bangkokburning

My GFs sister has True wireless acct with some crappy white True router. Trying to think ahead - what migh I need to do to get him access to the router? She is currently hardwired CAT5 LAN to it.

She has taken off the antenna so as to discourge the signal from traveling as far as it might otherwise.

If the router allows access with no password, might I want to change this and if so how? I do not know the router make or model at this time.

thanks for your time on this one!

If you have open access to the firmware/settings in the router, first thing to do is put a password on that (many routers default to "admin" "admin" for username and password and people don't bother changing them.)

While you're at it, set wireless access to "secure" and set a decent password to keep the neighbours out. Then of course put the antenna back if you want her brother to be able to use it from more than a foot away...

Forget WEP or WPA. Set it for "WPA2 only" this will discourage all but the most determined of hackers.

On the machine that's connected wired, open a DOS (Command) prompt and type "ipconfig".

The "Default Gateway" is the address of the router.

In a browser go to that ip address (e.g. http://192.168.0.1)

That should get you into the admin page of the router.

If you can get in, the settings you're looking for are in there. If you can't, you'll need to figure out the admin username and password for that particular device (try googling router name "default password")

Edited by bobl

In past similar sitatuations, I was able to download the user's manual for the model of router. The user's manual gives the router IP address, and also the default admin p/w which probably has not been changed. If none of that works, you might just have to buy a wireless router & hook it up downstream from the True router. The two can work in conjunction. Make sure you but a wireless router with like 4 hardwire ethernet ports; they always come in handy.

Thanks for the support.

He has been able to access simply by logging in. I am not going to hassle it. Sister does not have critical data and if the PC gets jacked, we can just reformat and then I can deal with it. So, I don't need to hang out in her room for an hour or two...

Yeah, there is some big site about configuring routers - I forget the name.

Calling true for help with this kind of thinG usually works pretty good. My experience has been that they have customer service people with excellent English who will guide you step by step. Not to say that true doesn't have problems!

Thanks for the support.

He has been able to access simply by logging in. I am not going to hassle it. Sister does not have critical data and if the PC gets jacked, we can just reformat and then I can deal with it. So, I don't need to hang out in her room for an hour or two...

Ummm...

Securing your wireless is less about keeping people out of your PC and more about stopping every Tom Dick and Harry from hijacking your internet connection and getting free internet / clogging up your bandwidth... Not to mention the types who go looking for open wireless connections to do stuff that they don't want traced back to them, and I'm not speaking about somebody torrenting the latest Lady Gaga...