Federal Express Chiang Mai

kcore

They gave me a price once my shipment arrived that included the taxes already added from customs and when I went to pay they added on a lot more and held my possessions hostage saying they would keep them if I didn't pay the new amount, simple extortion. When I refused they tried to assault me.

Packages coming in VIA Fedex always get taxed regardless, and at a higher rate than Thai post in my personal experience.

Yes, I think my experience supports that. I use post for incoming packages. Lately I have been sending/receiving documents with no problems.

I use Fedex, EMS, and UPS on a regular (at least 2x per month) basis. I have had issues only with UPS and that only once on the US end. For anything 10kg and under i do find Thai Post/EMS very reliable in the past couple of years. Otherwise, everywhere, I use Fedex. One important part for shipping from Chiang Mai is that to get the "better" rates ex-Thailand it has to be paid in baht here; if it's charged to an account outside Thailand it does invite higher rates.

i do usually get a customs charge on incoming items with Fedex (and not USPS, as others may have noticed), but consider it part of the drill. Avoiding customs, taxes, etc., when sending packages back and forth regularly strikes me as an unsound practice. I don't pretend to speak for the OP and as in everything YMMV.

If the superhighway is inconvenient, I believe it's possible to drop boxes for Fedex at several local private enterprises, including the Night Bazaar and at least one near Thapae. I use the main office myself, but have noticed signs at different places.

Edited by justmaybe