Two To Three Weeks In The Uk

MsClueless

Ok I have a bit plan now

Bangkok to london then train to Bristol. Stay there 3-4 days. From there go day trips to bath Stonehenge Cardiff

Then go Cornwall stay 3-4 days

Then to London stay 3-4 days

Go nearby there

And then maybe fly to Edinburgh

What do you all think?

Thankyou

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am pleased to see a plan is finally comming together, my comments are:

Bath is a good choice, Bristol not that great, Oxford would be a much better choice - Stonehenge and Cardiff, I wouldn't recommend either.

Cornwall for 3-4 days, sounds good but perhaps also see Devon on the way down there, it's very beautiful, especially the Exe valley.

Now I can see what you're thinking, try this:

Arrive London, stay one night to get over jet lag:

Train or Bus to Sherborne in Dorset (an Abbey and great small town feel, lots of lovely old buildings - stay one night;

Train or bus to Exeter, a nice city and an excellent cathedral, it's a university town and the surrounding countryside is excellent - stay one night maybe two.

Train or bus to Redruth or Penzance, stay one night (ish);

Train or bus to Bath, stay one night.

Bus to Oxford, stay two nights and take a trip into the Cotswolds.

Bus to London, stay three nights and see the tourist sights.

Bus to Canterbury and see the cathedral and the Old Town - maybe stay overnight, maybe not.

Bus to Brighton (from London) and stay one night.

Fill in any spare time with London or places invetween or go see Edinburgh

Go home.

With that plan you will see London, The Cotswolds, the South West and the South East/South Coast and some very beuatiful countryside and history, if you do much more than the South you'll be exhausted.

You really should avoid Stonehenge, you'll be disappointed, everyone else is.

Finally, I keep recomending Oxford and the Cotswolds. This is not only because they are very beutiful places with lots of neat things to see but because it's on the tourist trail for virtually all Asian tours, everyone wants to see where the Oxford Dictionary came from and the University buildings which are quite magnificent, you will not be disappointed.

Finally finally! I said Bus or Train because either is an option, I think you'll see more of the countryside in a bus but that's just me.

Edited by chiang mai

You really should avoid Stonehenge, you'll be disappointed, everyone else is.

Not everybody is disappointed with Stonehenge, as I say my girlfriend wanted to see it, she certainly wasn't disappointed, and when I lived in the UK and had American friends visiting they always wanted to visit, and none of those were disappointed.

Each to their own I suppose.

One thing I would say is that it doesn't warrant a day on it's own, as I said earlier, when I took my girlfriend there we combined it with a drive round some of the small villages in the area, and when we had American friends visiting we combined it with a trip to Bath.

If you make it to Edinburgh and the weather is good I recommend hopping in an early morning train and heading to Pitlochry on the train.

From the salmon ladder there is a lovely walk to Blair Atholl. Have lunch there then catch a bus back to Pitlochry station.

A pleasant escape from the city that is.

Plenty to do in Bristol. Historic waterfront with some great bars/restaurants, SS Great Britain was voted the best tourist attraction in U.K, suspension bridge and Avon gorge - absolutely beautiful, some great museums including hands on place (cant remember name) good shopping (huge Primark) ice skating, dryski slope, nice zoo and everthing else a big city has to offer. Stonehenge is worth it in my opinion just to get a photo. My Mrs loved Bristol, stonehenge, cheddar gorge, weston-super-mare and Bath and the OP can get to all of them from Bristol bus station on day trips. You could even go and watch the mighty Bristol City (there is only one team in Bristol)

If you go to Bristol I wouldn't bother going to Cardiff, not much to do there that you can do in Bristol (except the castle) travel tip for OP, when in Bristol take a walk around Clifton Village over the bridge and take a picnic up to Cabot tower for the best views of the city if the weather is good.

Plenty to do in Bristol. Historic waterfront with some great bars/restaurants, SS Great Britain was voted the best tourist attraction in U.K, suspension bridge and Avon gorge - absolutely beautiful, some great museums including hands on place (cant remember name) good shopping (huge Primark) ice skating, dryski slope, nice zoo and everthing else a big city has to offer. Stonehenge is worth it in my opinion just to get a photo. My Mrs loved Bristol, stonehenge, cheddar gorge, weston-super-mare and Bath and the OP can get to all of them from Bristol bus station on day trips. You could even go and watch the mighty Bristol City (there is only one team in Bristol)

If you go to Bristol I wouldn't bother going to Cardiff, not much to do there that you can do in Bristol (except the castle) travel tip for OP, when in Bristol take a walk around Clifton Village over the bridge and take a picnic up to Cabot tower for the best views of the city if the weather is good.

Great advice, loads of heritage walks for free around Bristol http://www.travelbristol.org/walk

Great advice, loads of heritage walks for free around Bristol http://www.travelbristol.org/walk

And my (Trans) birthplace. drunk.gif

For your info .... about York.

Did you know?

...that York was voted the best place to visit including best family day out and best historical place to visit in a new survey by East Coast rail (Sep 2011)

The York Pass is the perfect way to make the most of your stay in York. Currently £48 for a 2 day pass.

http://www.york-tourism.co.uk/seeanddo/yorkpass.aspx

The Pass gives you entry to over 30 attractions in the city of York and over 40 special offers so you can visit more of our historic houses, discover more museums and make plans for days out, all for a lot less money.

See more of York for less with a York Pass.

A visit to York Minster, the largest gothic cathedral north of the Alps goes without saying. Do not miss the JORVIK Viking Centre an award winning experience transporting you to a Viking settlement 1000 years ago or let the children enjoy an archaeological adventure at DIG. York Maze the largest maze in the world combined with a visit to the Yorkshire Air Museum makes for a great day out beyond the city.

The York Pass is packed with over 30 attractions in the city of York and beyond, with something to please everyone. Medieval Castles, Interactive Museums, Historic Houses or even a steam train ride, the York Pass has them all.

http://www.yorkpass.com/attractions/

or here are a few of the places to visit :-

National Railway Museum Admission: Free.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/tourism/whattosee/museums/753448.National_Railway_Museum/

The world's largest railway museum is home to a wide range of railway icons and literally millions of artefacts, from Mallard - the world's fastest steam locomotive - to a lock of Robert Stephensons hair.

Its vast collections, including more than 100 engines, tell the railway tale from Rocket to Eurostar.

Yorkshire Museum

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/tourism/whattosee/museums/753719.Yorkshire_Museum/

The Yorkshire Museum is the home of some of the richest archaeological finds in all of Europe.

As well as the temporary exhibitions you can travel through time from elegant Roman jewellery and fine mosaics via an Anglo-Saxon gilt bowl and the superb Gilling sword to Viking treasures including swords, battle-axes and a silk cap from Coppergate, the heart of Viking York.

York Dungeon

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/tourism/whattosee/museums/753669.York_Dungeon/

Wander through a modern day Dante's Inferno with a bloodcurdling visit to the York Dungeon, an animated medieval horror museum.

Pain, superstition, torture and death haunt Britain's past - and are recreated here. Come and see St George being sawn in half.

finally, a map showing all the attractions scroll down a bit :)

http://www.bedandbreakfasts.co.uk/static-york.asp

For your info .... about York.

Did you know?

...that York was voted the best place to visit including best family day out and best historical place to visit in a new survey by East Coast rail (Sep 2011)

The York Pass is the perfect way to make the most of your stay in York. Currently £48 for a 2 day pass.

http://www.york-tour...o/yorkpass.aspx

The Pass gives you entry to over 30 attractions in the city of York and over 40 special offers so you can visit more of our historic houses, discover more museums and make plans for days out, all for a lot less money.

See more of York for less with a York Pass.

A visit to York Minster, the largest gothic cathedral north of the Alps goes without saying. Do not miss the JORVIK Viking Centre an award winning experience transporting you to a Viking settlement 1000 years ago or let the children enjoy an archaeological adventure at DIG. York Maze the largest maze in the world combined with a visit to the Yorkshire Air Museum makes for a great day out beyond the city.

The York Pass is packed with over 30 attractions in the city of York and beyond, with something to please everyone. Medieval Castles, Interactive Museums, Historic Houses or even a steam train ride, the York Pass has them all.

http://www.yorkpass.com/attractions/

or here are a few of the places to visit :-

National Railway Museum Admission: Free.

http://www.yorkpress...Railway_Museum/

The world's largest railway museum is home to a wide range of railway icons and literally millions of artefacts, from Mallard - the world's fastest steam locomotive - to a lock of Robert Stephensons hair.

Its vast collections, including more than 100 engines, tell the railway tale from Rocket to Eurostar.

Yorkshire Museum

http://www.yorkpress...rkshire_Museum/

The Yorkshire Museum is the home of some of the richest archaeological finds in all of Europe.

As well as the temporary exhibitions you can travel through time from elegant Roman jewellery and fine mosaics via an Anglo-Saxon gilt bowl and the superb Gilling sword to Viking treasures including swords, battle-axes and a silk cap from Coppergate, the heart of Viking York.

York Dungeon

http://www.yorkpress...9.York_Dungeon/

Wander through a modern day Dante's Inferno with a bloodcurdling visit to the York Dungeon, an animated medieval horror museum.

Pain, superstition, torture and death haunt Britain's past - and are recreated here. Come and see St George being sawn in half.

finally, a map showing all the attractions scroll down a bit smile.png

http://www.bedandbre...static-york.asp

Tea at Betty's is a "must do".

Thank you every one for continue information and not tire of me :)

York was not in my plan. It is north? maybe now I have try go

From London, what day trips I should do? Brighton? Greenwich?

There is one castle not far from London I think. cannot remember the place

Oxford from London?

Or can I stay near London and make day trips to some places to see museums in London?

I look at travelodge London, and they have so many. I don't know which area is good or convenient or not

Thank you

I had a look at those Travelodges. I'd plump for the one in London Bridge if you want central. Its a good base for everything you want to see with good well priced restaurants nearby and a top quality market.

For slightly out of town I'd go for the one in Morden simply because of the Underground connection. Half an hour into the city every two or three minutes.

There are places with apartment style accomodation around the London Bridge area as well if you prefer to cook and are staying for a few days. Sometimes for £99 a night.

You can find them on booking.com.

The underground is vast and connects to most places of interest in London, so any travel lodge within walking distance of the tube will be ok. Have stayed at London Bridge travel lodge, very good and very convenient for the price if you book in advance.

I think you mean Windsor Castle, reference castles near London, try and plan to go when the Queen is home wai.gif

Thank you for helping look at details Khun smokie36 smile.png

Those areas are safe?

I don't know if we will cook. But will have a look at the website

Yes they are quite safe spots. I would advise you stay centrally though if you are going to be out all night partying and the such like.

Unless you fancy taking night buses and walking home etc.

London is mostly safe really although parts of East and South East London i wouldn't wander around in the early hours of the morning.

Thank you every one for continue information and not tire of me smile.png

Oxford from London?

Or can I stay near London and make day trips to some places to see museums in London?

I look at travelodge London, and they have so many. I don't know which area is good or convenient or not

Thank you

Yes, York is up north. It is on the main line East Coast railway. I'll let the information I posted to speak for it.

280 Kilometers from London. Approximately 2 hours by train.( currently, for example, booking 3 months ahead to July 2nd you can pay as little as £19 each for the journey)

If you plan to go north to Scotland - say Edinburgh - York would be a great place to stop off for a day or two.

As an aside, I have plenty of time on my hands and I am happy to look up other places you might be interested in to try and show what is available as I did with York. You can PM me for information if you wish.

Oxford from London?

Thank you

Yes, York is up north. It is on the main line East Coast railway. I'll let the information I posted to speak for it.

280 Kilometers from London. Approximately 2 hours by train.( currently, for example, booking 3 months ahead to July 2nd you can pay as little as £19 each for the journey)

If you plan to go north to Scotland - say Edinburgh - York would be a great place to stop off for a day or two.

As an aside, I have plenty of time on my hands and I am happy to look up other places you might be interested in to try and show what is available as I did with York. You can PM me for information if you wish.

Pattaydingo if you ever get THAT bored :) you could put together the travel itinerary (max 3 weeks) that includes:-

London (min 3 nights)

Dublin (2 nights)

Rome (2 nights)

Lake District (3 nights)

Lincoln (1 night)

York (1 night)

Edinburgh (2 nights)

possible other places of interest - Whitby/Goathland/NorthYorksMoors,

I am sure there are more but I can't think of them.

Chok Dee

Oxford from London?

Thank you

Pattaydingo if you ever get THAT bored smile.png you could put together the travel itinerary (max 3 weeks) that includes:-

London (min 3 nights)

Dublin (2 nights)

Rome (2 nights)

Lake District (3 nights)

Lincoln (1 night)

York (1 night)

Edinburgh (2 nights)

Chok Dee

Between nights out and fun time and crazy postings on TV ..... I'll have a gander and see what is out there. Gives me something to do :)

Oxford from London?

Thank you

Pattaydingo if you ever get THAT bored smile.png you could put together the travel itinerary (max 3 weeks) that includes:-

London (min 3 nights)

Dublin (2 nights)

Rome (2 nights)

Lake District (3 nights)

Lincoln (1 night)

York (1 night)

Edinburgh (2 nights)

Chok Dee

Between nights out and fun time and crazy postings on TV ..... I'll have a gander and see what is out there. Gives me something to do smile.png

Thank you jap.gif

It is a good hypothetical but it is also something I would like to do next year.

• 2 weeks later...

I am back. More questions

Which web site is the best for book train and bus in England?

I had some look but seem so many train company. Is there one that has all routes?

I look at national express coach for bus I think but seem more expensive than train?

Thank you :)

I am back. More questions

Which web site is the best for book train and bus in England?

I had some look but seem so many train company. Is there one that has all routes?

I look at national express coach for bus I think but seem more expensive than train?

Thank you smile.png

Maybe this one.http://www.takethetrain.co.uk/apps/WebObjects/TTT.woa

First thing to understand is that trying to book train tickets is confusing even if you are British and live there. I like this site because it shows you the cheapest fares first. Difference from Thailand, the time you travel can change the price a lot. With this site it will show you all the fares starting from a certain time. Good luck smile.png

I have always found that the National Rail website has the most comprehensive detail of train services, click on the cheapest fare finder. I do agree that it can be a bit complex, but it really is pretty good if you just take a bit a bit of time. The best fares are available if you book early, are flexible and travel off peak.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/