Converting To Thai Citizenship

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the Mods here is living proof of Thai Citizenship being granted to a man ... irrelevant of weather married or not.

Do a search within TVF and there has been quite a bit written about it.

Edit

damo has done the work for you.

Edited by David48

That is a misunderstanding. If i recall correctly, in the past only a woman married to a Thai citizen could get Thai nationality without having permanent residency first. Now both man and woman marreid to a Thai natonal can get Tai nationaility without applying for permanent residency first.

I have always been curious why any farang would want to become a Thai Citizen if someone who has done this or the OP who wants to can please tell me?

I can't believe it's not obvious. No work permits. No visas. Land ownership. Business ownership. Thai prices. Access to financing. Full and complete 100% rights.

My question would be more along the lines of who WOULDN'T want it (assuming one was settled here).

• Like 2

Well in my case I am a Canadian citizen and I would stand to lose 25% of my 2 Canadian pensions (CPP & OAP) plus 25% of my Union pension which stands now at about 42,000 baht per month.

I guess if your country does not have those regulations it makes sense.

Thank you for the replies.

PS: Can you vote too?

Thai citizenship is almost impossible to get for foreign men.

A few have managed it, but very rare, and you have to be paying tax on a sizable salary (or Thai ancestry).

If retired or your earnings are from overseas, impossible.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Well in my case I am a Canadian citizen and I would stand to lose 25% of my 2 Canadian pensions (CPP & OAP) plus 25% of my Union pension which stands now at about 42,000 baht per month.

I guess if your country does not have those regulations it makes sense.

Thank you for the replies.

PS: Can you vote too?

Yes, but not for the first five years after naturalization. So that politicians do not grant huge numbers of citizenships in exchange for votes, presumably.

A few have managed it, but very rare, and you have to be paying tax on a sizable salary (or Thai ancestry).

A common myth, spread on barstools throughout the Kingdom.

• Like 2

So tell us, as a foreign male what entitled you to Thai citizenship apart from a big salary.

What Thai income do you pay tax on (as single I assume 120k/month plus)

Come on, give us your points breakdown?

Funny that those who achieve it, are always cagey on how they got it.!

Edited by TommoPhysicist

So tell us, as a foreign male what entitled you to Thai citizenship apart from a big salary.

What Thai income do you pay tax on (as single I assume 120k/month plus)

Come on, give us your points breakdown?

Funny that those who achieve it, are always cagey on how they got it.!

I'm not cagey at all.

I had PR for over five years on application. Speak, read, and write Thai fluently. Owned a condo. Had salary of maximum 150K in previous years. Do you consider that "huge"? I sure don't.

So, do you know anyone who has applied and failed to get it? Where do your beliefs about "impossibility" come from? Everyone I know who has applied has gotten it (including those I met during the process).

So you had the salary 120k+ earned in Thailand, exactly as I said, the most important qualification, and a huge salary for most people working in Thailand. Although I agree, nothing compared to a salary (or even a pension) from outside Thailand.

You are the one spreading bar-stool rumours, that it's easy to get citizenship.

Most people living here are retired, or school-teachers in state schools, so not entitled.

Speak, read and write Thai, not important, gets you nothing without the salary.

Thai wife and Thai children, not important, gets you nothing without the salary.

MONEY is what gets you Thai citizenship, nothing else is important.

Owned a condo, irrelevant, PR for 5 years, only counts if no Thai wife or children.

Applied and failed, they don't accept applications that are likely to fail, without the salary you can't apply.

If they accept your application ......... you have already succeeded (but have to wait for processing).

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Yes, I had more than 120K. That does not mean it is a requirement or the deciding factor.

Never said it was easy. It is not. Lots of hurdles to jump and lots of waiting.

So...you didn't answer my question. Do you know anyone who has applied and been rejected? Where does your knowledge of the matter come from?

• Like 1

Yes, I had more than 120K. That does not mean it is a requirement or the deciding factor.

Salary earned in Thailand is the ONLY factor, and as I already told you, without the salary you can't apply, and therefore your application can't fail.

Add up the points yourself ....... no 120k, then no 50 points, no matter if you fulfill every other requirement.

Strangely enough, earn 120k+, then you only need a point here and a point there for citizenship.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I have always been curious why any farang would want to become a Thai Citizen if someone who has done this or the OP who wants to can please tell me?

Insecurity,can't be sent back home(and have probably a serious enough rap,waiting for them back home) If you have citizenship.

I don't know about the point system, nor have any idea how many points I had. I do know of someone who had salary of over 500K baht who was rejected for reasons of Thai language deficiency -- so "money" is not the only factor as you say.

In any case, 120K is a pretty paltry financial hurdle to set (if in fact it has been set) if you ask me.

• Like 1

I don't know about the point system, nor have any idea how many points I had. I do know of someone who had salary of over 500K baht who was rejected for reasons of Thai language deficiency -- so "money" is not the only factor as you say.

In any case, 120K is a pretty paltry financial hurdle to set (if in fact it has been set) if you ask me.

It's the factor that lets you apply.

Most of us get considerably more than 120k/month from out of country, which doesn't count.

Like I said, after that a point here and there gets you in.

• Like 1

It's the factor that lets you apply.

Most of us get considerably more than 120k/month from out of country, which doesn't count.

Like I said, after that a point here and there gets you in.

Now YOU'RE the one who's making it sound easy.

I don't know about "most of us" -- would have to take a poll. Most of the expats I know make between 300K and 800K per month.

If Thai citizenship can be virtually bought for the cost of a few years' taxes on a salary of less than $48,000 per year, then it is one of the cheapest and easiest places in the world.

If Thai citizenship can be virtually bought for the cost of a few years' taxes on a salary of less than $48,000 per year, then it is one of the cheapest and easiest places in the world.

Ecuador is cheaper!

Most foreigners are not qualified to legitimately earn 120k/month in Thailand.

(unless you set up your own business, then pay yourself 120k/month, then recycle losing the taxes, which is doable)

Anyway, you are now agreeing with me, so all your posts were completely pointless.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Ecuador is cheaper!

Most foreigners are not qualified to legitimately earn 120k/month in Thailand.

(unless you set up your own business, then pay yourself 120k/month, then recycle losing the taxes, which is doable)

Anyway, you are now agreeing with me, so all your posts were completely pointless.

No, YOUR post is pointless. First you say it's nearly impossible, now you say it's easy if you make 120K or more -- which thousands and thousands of people do (but perhaps not in your social circles, granted). I know English teachers who make 120K!

So lets settle on

In order for a man to become a Thai citizen, he needs to earn 120k+ a month

After fulfilling that requirement he may apply for citizenship and if he can kiss official ass enough speak Thai to a basic level, then they will grant him citizenship.

(I'm assuming your pal earning 500k didn't realize he had to kiss official ass speak Thai)

So lets settle on

After fulfilling that requirement he may apply for citizenship and if he can kiss official ass enough speak Thai to a basic level, then they will grant him citizenship.

(I'm assuming your pal earning 500k didn't realize he had to kiss official ass speak Thai)

I'm taking your word on the 120K thing -- I don't know. It is hardly prohibitive for "most" farang, if it is accurate.

I don't kiss anyone's ass -- official or not. Now you're just being plain silly.

So lets settle on

I'm taking your word on the 120K thing -- I don't know. It is hardly prohibitive for "most" farang, if it is accurate.

I don't kiss anyone's ass -- official or not. Now you're just being plain silly.

As long as you change future statements to 'any single male earning 120k+ a month can apply for Thai citizenship' (or something along those lines), I am happy. (If you are a married man you only need to earn 60k+ a month to apply)

Edited by TommoPhysicist

PS: I'll be even happier if you stop referring to 60K/120K salaries as "huge".

120k = 12x Thai average wage (where average is median variety)

How many times the Thai average wage would you consider huge ....... 20x ...... 50x ....... 100x ?

I'm sure we can reach agreement, almost there now.

Edited by TommoPhysicist