Free Standing Oven/ Cooker

andyrichards

I was completely unaware of HALOGEN CONVECTION OVENS until reading about them in a thread on this forum last year. I did a bit of further research and ended up purchasing one at Big-C for an amazingly low B1000.

I am constantly amazed by how useful this appliance is from roasting a chicken in an hour to making pies, pizza and roasts. For those of us with only a gas ring or electric hob to cook with, they open up a whole new range of possibilities. Add to that the fact that it is incredibly energy efficient. My only regret was buying one that didn't have a device to hold the lid after taking it off when hot, It's always a challenge to find a place to set it down when it's hot.

I was completely unaware of HALOGEN CONVECTION OVENS until reading about them in a thread on this forum last year. I did a bit of further research and ended up purchasing one at Big-C for an amazingly low B1000.

I am constantly amazed by how useful this appliance is from roasting a chicken in an hour to making pies, pizza and roasts. For those of us with only a gas ring or electric hob to cook with, they open up a whole new range of possibilities. Add to that the fact that it is incredibly energy efficient. My only regret was buying one that didn't have a device to hold the lid after taking it off when hot, It's always a challenge to find a place to set it down when it's hot.

Sounds brilliant, never seen one in Big C or anywhere - could it cook a leg of lamb (drool/slobber....) maybe it doesn't look like an 'oven' can you post a pic? cheers, I want one! Less space too.

Well I'm glad you like yours. I've tried baking in the thing twice. Both were fairly idiot-proof recipes: brownies and an angel food ring. Both came out nearly burnt on top and undercooked on the bottom. I even altered the temp (lower) and cooking time (slightly longer) to take account of the super hot bulb on the top. Maybe you need to cover delicate things with aluminum foil or a pie plate, I don't know.

But it did do a good job on baked potatoes, I'll give it that much.

Edited by attrayant

Sounds brilliant, never seen one in Big C or anywhere - could it cook a leg of lamb (drool/slobber....) maybe it doesn't look like an 'oven' can you post a pic? cheers, I want one! Less space too.

As pictured below. There appears to be a leg of something in there.Team-Halogen-Oven---Convection-Roaster~11T470FRSP.jpg

Edited by attrayant

As pictured below. There appears to be a leg of something in there.Team-Halogen-Oven---Convection-Roaster~11T470FRSP.jpg

Thanks, never seen one but it seems as if it's 'stewing/broiling' rather than oven cooking? A bit like a 'slow cooker' used to do??

The pictured device is known in some circles as a Turbo Oven (probably a brand name, but used generically). I've had them in the past & they're awesome. For Changover, this is not like a slow cooker. That fan on the top circulates the hot air which penetrates the food & cooks very quickly. These things got hot fast. You can also bake in them (haven't tried it, but they come with recipes.) They are very flexible. I would recommend it.

post-44176-0-24304100-1333246532_thumb.j

This one I bought over 2 years ago now in Phetchabun City, its a House Wurth and cost over 3K Baht at the time, you can get similar makes much cheaper now.

Our local Big C had some for 990 Baht recently.

Very good for all types of meat and fish, plus I do roast potatoes and chips in it too, par boil the spuds before hand. I find the local spuds here on the hard side.

I bake my own bread every week in it as well.

A neighbour of mine just bought a fitted kitchen electric oven for 16K Baht from HomePro, think I will just buy another of these convection types as I want to increase the bread quantity.

ph34r.png

Search "Halogen Oven" on YouTube to see them in action. They do sell some models with an extension ring that increases the volume of the bowl. A small leg of lamb with the bone end trimmed would likely fit.

This one I bought over 2 years ago now in Phetchabun City, its a House Wurth and cost over 3K Baht at the time, you can get similar makes much cheaper now.

Very good for all types of meat and fish, plus I do roast potatoes and chips in it too, par boil the spuds before hand. I find the local spuds here on the hard side.

A neighbour of mine just bought a fitted kitchen electric oven for 16K Baht from HomePro, think I will just buy another of these convection types as I want to increase the bread quantity.

ph34r.png

Please, please tell me how to bake my own bread and where to get supplies. I would greatly appreciate it. I've been wanting to try for a log time. Thanks

ph34r.png

Please, please tell me how to bake my own bread and where to get supplies. I would greatly appreciate it. I've been wanting to try for a log time. Thanks

I'd like to know as well. Don't know where one would get yeast?

Dried fast acting yeast sold in all Tesco Lotus stores. Looks like a dark brown medicine bottle. We use it to make pizzas and breads all the time. We bought a TEFAL (ER-G8C) electric counter-top oven. £300 from Home Pro. Stone bake oven, steamer, regular oven and microwave all in one. Has a super-heated steam option too for healthier meals.

For the peeps inquiring about bread making, there was a good topic recently on the western food forum on TV. Stacks of amateur bread making forums on the web too, loads of info.

Flour and yeast in the big cities should be no probs too, I am lucky have a local bakery supply shop in town..

Cannot remember when I last purchased a loaf of bread!

Edited by phutoie2

Yeah, once you've baked your own, there's no going back.

Bread flour and yeast is sold at all the large supermarkets.

I know it's not what the OP wants, but I bought a lovely Zanussi built in electric oven in Homepro two months ago, 7,900bht. Bargain

Edited by jaiyenyen