Trailors Allowed On Thai Roads?

nonthaburial

Can anyone tell me whether it is legal or not for a Pick Up to tow a trailor in Thailand. The reason I ask is, in the New Year it is intended to tour Thailand demonstrating a new fire fighting unit mounted on an ATV.

A purpose built trailor with fitted lights etc would be much more manageable rather than driving the "Beast" up and down ramps onto a truck.

Found this on another site.

I cannot vouch for the accuracy.

Quote:

Yes, car trailers are legal in Thailand. However, you will have to submit your registration application in person at the Provincial Transportation Office, where you will be interviewed by a Vehicle Inspection Officer about the trailer’s intended purpose, length, width, weight and fittings. Please note that if you are unable to speak Thai, you should bring an interpreter with you.

If the trailer has not yet been built, then the design for it must be submitted to the PTO, which will forward it to the Department of Transportation in Bangkok for approval. This takes about one month. The trailer must be designed by a mechanical engineer holding a minimum of a bachelor’s degree. Once approved, the trailer can be made.

Thanks for that Thetyim, I suppose it makes sense for such requirements but I can smell a very long road of Red Tape here.

I suppose If I w anted touse it to load 50 farmers onto it then hurtle along a busy but fast road, that would require less paperwork !!!

I know I am cynical :o

Yup trailors are alowed in Thailand! The instructions above mentioned are all you got to do! Make sure u got working rear lights and license plate. But bare in mind that some policemen will actually stop you....especially highway!!!

Can anyone tell me whether it is legal or not for a Pick Up to tow a trailor in Thailand. The reason I ask is, in the New Year it is intended to tour Thailand demonstrating a new fire fighting unit mounted on an ATV.

A purpose built trailor with fitted lights etc would be much more manageable rather than driving the "Beast" up and down ramps onto a truck.

Have seen trailers for bikes at a couple different shops for sale. Would handle the ATV. Try Jammer harley Lad Phrao. tel o2-514-1297