Debit Account

Dancealot

I am with Kasikorn Bank, but I believe a number of Thai banks will provide a Debit Card linked to Visa/Mastercard without a need for WP. Note for online transactions you need to request Cyber banking facility. Security is provided by way of SMS notification to your mobile phone for one time password

Very interesting, thank you. Do you also have any details about the specifics of this credit card link?

I have a Bangkok Bank savings account and they gave me an ATM card so that I can withdraw money. You can also get ATM cards that double up as BTS cards.

Yes, I and many others have had one for years.

It's only a savings account so you don't get a cheque (check if you're from the US) book, but can get internet banking and a debit card that you can use worldwide and online.

As with all banks some Kasikorn branches may refuse to open an account, if so just try another branch, I have never been declined.

What kind of VISA do u currently hold ????

I have a Savings Bank Account in Krung Thai Bank but I had a Non-Immigrant "O" when I opened the account..

Well i am recently divorced so i am coming on a tourist visa now.. Good question, sorry i forgot to mention

Very interesting, thank you. Do you also have any details about the specifics of this credit card link?

It's not a Credit Card, but a Visa branded Debit Card. For a Credit Card in Thailand you would need a WP. You can get a Credit Card without a WP, but would need an O Visa and savings of 50k per month for six months - varies with different banks.

I was told at Bangkok Bank that you needed a work or retirement visa.

I have a Bangkok Bank account, with VISA debit/ATM card. No work permit, no retirement visa, but I did (and still do) have a 1 year non-immigrant 'O' visa. And Bangkok Bank DID check my passport for the visa (and copied it too).

Has anyone tried a KTB Bank Visa e-money card? I understand you dont need an account and that you just top it up (max Baht 30,000)

http://www.ktb.co.th...emoney_card.jsp

does it have a password you need to input everytime you use it? that would be better protection I think than a mere signature (that store clerks often dont bother to check)

Im thinking about getting one...

Edited by trajan