Learning English Language In Thailand: Hype Or Necessity?

webfact

Just thinking slightly outside the box here. If Thai was only spoken what happens when Aircraft Controllers don't speak English? Some people open their mouths without knowing or maybe wanting to know reality.

An air traffic controller in Thailand may well speak Thai to the pilot(s) of a Thai aircraft. All other nationalities are spoken to in English. Same same all other countries.

Rather than worry whether speaking English will affect Thai culture I suggest that the Prof looks around him. Crappy American fast food stores and pop music have done that already.

Wot are needed ere is some fish and chips and fried mars bars and some Morris dancin.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thinking slightly outside the box here. If Thai was only spoken what happens when Aircraft Controllers don't speak English? Some people open their mouths without knowing or maybe wanting to know reality.

An air traffic controller in Thailand may well speak Thai to the pilot(s) of a Thai aircraft. All other nationalities are spoken to in English. Same same all other countries.

Rather than worry whether speaking English will affect Thai culture I suggest that the Prof looks around him. Crappy American fast food stores and pop music have done that already.

Can't be that crappy, surely, if so many people around the world find it quite their cup of tea. Anyway, I think I understand your implication, and I say to you ... I dare you in a crystal ball to take away all American influence and then see what the result is.

On another point, Americans are not the only English language influencers in Thailand. The British were here long before the Americans.

:)

Can't be that crappy, surely, if so many people around the world find it quite their cup of tea. Anyway, I think I understand your implication, and I say to you ... I dare you in a crystal ball to take away all American influence and then see what the result is.

On another point, Americans are not the only English language influencers in Thailand. The British were here long before the Americans.

smile.png

The Brits not really in force. The Americans came, 50,000 strong and stayed from 1965 to 1975. In case you were wondering why the Thais were getting taller.