7% Vat Refund And Come Back In Later?

I have just bought a nice Rolex. I am due to fly out next week for about 10 days only. My visa is retment extn.

The shop gave me the customs form all stamped. they said I could be lucky and get my refund. The money is quite a sum.

Strictly speaking, I am not a tourist. I live here.

Has anyone claimed the VAT at airport and then come back later? Seems a grey area. Are there checks? Notes in passport?

Eddy

You do not qualify.

Travelers is qualified for a VAT refund if you meet the following conditions:

• You are a non-Thai resident and not staying in Thailand up to 180 days in a current tax year;
  • You are not a pilot or a cabin crews of any airline departing Thailand on duty;
  • You purchases goods from stores displaying a "VAT REFUND FOR TOURISTS" sign;
  • VAT refund only applies to goods taken out of Thailand with the traveler within 60 days from the date of purchase; and
  • You leave Thailand via an international airport.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/travellers/tourist+refund+scheme/touristrefundscheme

The VAT refund desk at the airport most definitely check your passport before issuing your refund slip which you swap for the actual refund air side.

Before you check in you need to go to the VAT Refund Desk in the check-in hall... they will check your passport and what visa (or visa exempt stamp) you entered on... and can ask you to show them the item you are taking out of the country...

After Immigration you go to the other VAT Refund desk, and they give you the cash...

Think the OP will miss out this time...

Daewoo

Mixed opinions. I don't have RESIDENT stamp, but I do have retirement visa (etxn)

Has anybody ever gone out and claimed a refund, then come back?

My friend says that they can see Return flight ticket on computer. Do I just book single flight?

Do they make some kind of note? What about if I wanted to leave but my wife got sick so I had to come back? etc.

Eddy

Thanks George.

is that an opinion or do you know for sure? I have so many opinions...I am trying to find someone who did it/or failed.

The VAT will be 37,000b refund. pays my trip.

Eddy

I know for sure. Also they will notice if you have stayed here longer than 179 days (check your passport stamps).

You start by saying that strictly speaking you are not a tourist because you live here. That is where the `VAT refund wish` ends.

It is as simple as that. You could lose a lot more than the 7%, since you are planning a fraud.

I guess that technically it may be VAT fraud (like 1 million builders and plumbers do...and thousands of very rich people here and Europe do!).

In mitigation, I can only say that the shop advised me to do it and gave me the forms, completed and ready and signed by them.

I don't stay here longer than 179 days at a stretch because I fly in and out. But I admit that I don't have a tourist visa.

Would they just tell me to "get lost" at the airport, or would they arrest me?

I guess that technically it may be VAT fraud (like 1 million builders and plumbers do...and thousands of very rich people here and Europe do!).

In mitigation, I can only say that the shop advised me to do it and gave me the forms, completed and ready and signed by them.

I don't stay here longer than 179 days at a stretch because I fly in and out. But I admit that I don't have a tourist visa.

Would they just tell me to "get lost" at the airport, or would they arrest me?

You don't qualify for a VAT refund so you should not apply for it. Period.

Even if you did qualify, you will never get it. There at least used to be a sign at the desks stating something to the effect: getting angry at the official is punishable by law

I guess there were so many people angered at their situation a sign was in order :-)

Should have gone to Singapore. They would have given you 10% off retail. Rolex's are not usually discounted but you will get a square deal there.

Should have bought an IWC or UN :-))

Rolex - meh...........

licklips.gif Since you're on a retirement extension and will need an exit re-entry permit they will notice that and be sure you don't qualify.

However, they won't fine you or arrest you, just tell you no.

So, if you want to try...play the "I'm a dumb farang and I didn't know any better" game.

Maybe you'll get lucky and get a refund, and maybe not.

Just keep your cool, either way, and see what happens.

But I wouldn't count on that money as a certainty until,,,,and when/if,,,,it is in your wallet.

licklips.gif

yeah IMA, that is the way I figured it...it is not a hanging offence.

I have a one year multi re-entry permit, period.

Someone told be that you can sometimes just be lucky. It is better to play the dumb farang. I can even say that I live 50% of the time away. Just because I have a retirement extn, that does not mean that I am obliged to be here, does it? I am only trying to find somebody who has first-hand experience and can advise me on here. I am a good church-going guy, never steal or loot, but wondered if they would check me in fine detail. Mr T and others too numerous to mention have avoided billions.

You don't qualify for a VAT refund so you should not apply for it. Period.

That's right, but what happened to the good old days when one could export empty containers to Singapore and claim a VAT refund. rolleyes.gif

Fly to Malaysia, re-enter on a 30 day stamp or tourist visa, claim refund, fly out, re-enter on retirement visa???

It may work if you have two passports, but the immigration system is smart enough to know about both mine.

This thread is bordering on discussion of illegal activities (tax fraud).

Will only work if you have a 30 day entry stamp or a Tourist visa.

I agree the OP does not qualify for VAT refund nor should he apply for it but.....

I have come to Thailand on 90 day visa's & collected refunds on exit

So I just wanted to add that those visa's are also accepted.

I am a good church-going guy, never steal or loot, but wondered if they would check me in fine detail. Mr T and others too numerous to mention have avoided billions.

As a "good church-going guy" the OP should know it shouldn't matter if they use a fine tooth comb to check for things like this. It's wrong. Doesn't matter if others much wealthier have done worse. It's still wrong.

Problem is that I have a range of do-gooders on here plus a range of risk-takers. I really wanted to hear from anyone who had done this and successfully flown back in after a holiday--that's all. No, I don't have a 30 day visa.