Visa For Expats - Some Research....

I am working on a project which may also include a credit card specifically for expats. I am pushing this, in the belief that there is a need for a locally issued credit card from a reputable bank for expats living here who want to collect points, pay for stuff, get discounts that sort of thing.

I could be well wrong....

However, as a non representative piece of research, I'd like to be able to say to the underwriting bank (who currently have nil interest in this) that the expats will come if they do the following:

- english call centre

- application forms in english

- requirement only for proof of earnings with most recent paycheck, work permit, work visa

- all conditions otherwise the same as local card holders including 100k min income per month (exactly the same as local card holders)

- all benefits the same as local cardholders including VERY elaborate and generous points scheme, free gifts with purchase all that sort of stuff and 1% off petrol

- english language statement

- no annual fee for life no conditions

I feel that some of you guys could use a locally issued credit card and if the level of interest on this board is postiive, then I'll push it, otherwise, it is quite a bit or work for nothing.....so... what do you thinK/?????

Is this something you'd go for>? Am I mising something?

Maybe I'm missing something, but the type of expat you're talking about can easily get such a card already.

I have both a locally issued Amex card and a locally issued HSBC Visa Card. The applications were in English. I belong to both card's rewards points programs and whenever I call helpdesks I'm given an English language option. My statement is in English, and I only had to provide the usual proofs of income, work visa copies etc.

I was also asked (unsolicited) by my regular bank - Bangkok Bank - if I wanted a BKK Bank Visa, but I declined on the grounds I only want a charge card for business expenses and a credit card for personal transactions.

So what are you proposing that's different from the above?

Maybe I'm missing something, but the type of expat you're talking about can easily get such a card already.

I have both a locally issued Amex card and a locally issued HSBC Visa Card.  The applications were in English.  I belong to both card's rewards points programs and whenever I call helpdesks I'm given an English language option.  My statement is in English, and I only had to provide the usual proofs of income, work visa copies etc.

I was also asked (unsolicited) by my regular bank - Bangkok Bank - if I wanted a BKK Bank Visa, but I declined on the grounds I only want a charge card for business expenses and a credit card for personal transactions.

Which bank issued your Amex card, if I may ask? I've applied for Visa, MC and Amex -- all solicited by my bank, SCB -- and had my applications turned down, despite a perfect credit record stretching back 35 years, plus a non-B visa and work permit. In general it's quite difficult for a foreigner to get a credit card here. I do understand HSBC is one place where it may be possible, just curious about your Amex.

Definitely know about the AMEX; judging from the unending complaints from every expat I seem to meet that the banks won't give them a credit card, I started asking around, and initially it seemed like some didn't have their ship in order (other than HSBC) to issue a VISA for an expat.....

Seems like this might make me have to rethink the whole thing then....

This card is going to be a platinum card which has some quite handy travel benefits, a much better points scheme including airline mileage on the card; well better than the HSBC scheme for sure, and also more discounts at selected fashion outlets mostly with freebies abounding.

It is mostly aimed at THais and we have the research on that side, but I'd be keen to know what it would take for me to persuade you to take up another card and ditch your HSBC and/or AMEX.

Something you don't mention which is VITAL is the same type of consumer protection we enjoy in Europe, particularly for misuse of the card.

Thai CCs (as far as I can acertain) carry absolutely zero protection of this kind. Card misused? Tough.

Re which bank issued my AMEX .. . .none of them. I applied to AMEX in Thailand directly. I wasnt even aware they were issued through banks.

I just went to their Thai website, printed off the application form, filled it in and sent it off to the stated address with all the necessary supporting information.

Easy as that.

Re the consumer protection, I can't comment on that. If anything, I find them a bit overzealous in the other direction. I used my HSBC visa to buy an expensive piece of jewelry the other day - a purchase well out of my routine spending. Before they would authorise it, HSBC called me on my mobile there and then to make sure it was me making the purchase (they asked a security question). I then got a follow up call the next day to apologise for any potential embarassment.

No complaints there so far.

Ah sorry, my confusing writing; Amex is not a credit card for the most part, it is a charge card.

However, they do the credit card now and also BBL issues AMEX I think.

AFAIK Thai credit cards carry the same levels of liability as any other VISA worldwide, as it is a VISA system? I will check that bit out though, good point.

Thanks for your advice :-)

I've had a Citibank Royal Orchid VISA for years that meets the criteria you've outlined. Earns miles on Thai Airways. Have used it in many countries around the world, but gets charged in baht. The one questionable transaction I had a few years back was researched promptly and taken off my bill. You can call their Citiphone banking line and speak to someone in English about it -- phone #1588. I'm sure they can send you an application.

I've had a Citibank Royal Orchid VISA for years that meets the criteria you've outlined.  Earns miles on Thai Airways.  Have used it in many countries around the world, but gets charged in baht.  The one questionable transaction I had a few years back was researched promptly and taken off my bill.  You can call their Citiphone banking line and speak to someone in English about it -- phone #1588.  I'm sure they can send you an application.

Thanks. Is that number in Thailand?

I think all banks will give you a credit card if you have a work permit, 3 months salary slips, and whatever they deem a respectible income. This seems to range from 55k-80k+.

I've got a KTC card, and a gold CitiBank card...

If you're not on a work permit you can forget about entertaining the notion of getting a credit card...You wouldn't get one in UK/US, and you certainly won't here...