The Price Of A Rai

Lastly .. "How many Rai do you own ? Its ok I know the answer", well you are correct there ... thumbsup.gif

I don't own any land in Thailand and we both know that it is illegal for me, unless under special circumstances to own any land and I suspect the same applies to you.

But, if the inference is that I know nothing about land at all, lets start with your professional qualifications?

'What qualifications do you have ? Its ok I know the answer' ... whistling.gif

As for me, Dad was a shearer and Mum came from 600 Acres of black soil cropping country.

Many of my relatives still work the land and are now mostly cotton farmers.

As for me ... I spent 3 years as a Hobby Farm salesman.

Went to the local tech college for 2 years part time and received my Associate Diploma in Real Estate.

Then I went onto manage a Real Estate company located in the broadacre community.

Tired of working week-ends I put myself through University and have a Bachelors Degree in Business, majoring in property studies.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not finished yet!

Then I worked in a Valuers Firm for 5 years, preparing all sorts of interesting Valuations from your residential home through to land sub-divisions and Shopping Centres.

Do I have a reasonable understanding of the Thai Farming market?

Well ... the gf parents do control about 24 Rai just south of Bangkok.

Come over and visit us on our thread in the Farming Forum at ... http://www.thaivisa....nd-shrimp-farm/

Lastly, I am still at odds why andycrosby you went me so hard?

We have a different point of view and I was using the information at hand to counter what you were saying.

Harry has just provided some interesting information which is at odds with what I know.

Do I go him hard ... no, I respect him for taking the time and effort to post and we all can be informed by what he has contributed.

Why on Earth, of all the people you picked me to have a fight with, I'll never understand.

Really I don't want to get into a slanging match and I wish you well in your endeavours.

David48 cowboy.gif

Now that we have that settled, lets get back to helping the OP with his question about the Price of a Rai ...

Edited by David48

Harry, that is very interesting indeed.

I never have a problem when someone provides facts to back a point of view.

What I do note for Section 1349 is that it doesn't state weather the definition of public access would be defined by a Public Klong. Not all access has to vehicular.

Because the gf's Farm does have access via a Public Klong, that maybe enough access in the Law's eyes so that provision of Section 1349 does not apply.

The gf arrives here in 3 days, so I will certainly be questioning her on this.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

"The place and the manner of the passage must be chosen as to meet the needs of the person entitled to passage and at the same time to cause as little damage as possible to the surrounding land. The person entitled to passage may, if necessary, construct a road for passage

"The person entitled to passage may, if necessary, construct a road for passage.""

Thanks again Harry, yep, read all that.

Remembering that what we are reading is a translation from Thai into English and some of the finer points maybe lost in the translation.

Not withstanding what you wrote above ... my understand is that four of the parcels of land which constitute the Farm currently do not have vehicular access and that there was no public available.

So maybe the Farm is illegal as a subdivision, maybe they do have 'rite of passage' but one Thai Farmer has hoodwinked another Farmer into believing that he doesn't.

One thing I do know is that this is Thailand and that laws can be selectively applied.

How about we leave it at this and turn our attention to helping the OP because this is just a (worthy) distraction to his problem?

I can sell you a thousand rai for 1,000 baht per rai. Of course you will have to deal with the government if you want any ownership papers.

Does it have public access ... you know that I have issues with no public access!

Thanks for bringing some humour to the subject.

Let's lighten up, move on and help the OP ... it's his thread after all.

TommoPhysicist, your experience and mine is different.

My gf's Farm is landlocked with no right of land access in any form.

Their only legal access is via a klong.

They do have vehicular access but it is at the option of the landholder who controls the land.

I did question her at length about this because, where I come from, that is illegal for the original sub-division to have originally occurred.

What Harry says, your gf is wrong, which is hardly surprising as most Thais believe whatever a 'more important' Thai tells

them.

From Harry

The place and the manner of the passage must be chosen as to meet the needs of the person entitled to passage and at the same time to cause as little damage as possible to the surrounding land. The person entitled to passage may, if necessary, construct a road for passage.

This clearly indicates land access. Hard to construct a road along a klong.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

OP

Farm land in Thailand is valued in a variaty of ways

Quality of land,

Access to the land

Type of land title

Size of land

Local values

All of these have to be taken into consideration and shouldn't be rushed by any means.

A more accurate way of putting a value onto what you're looking to buy is check out the local area and ask about recent land sales and prices. If you're thai interperuter (gf or tw) isn't a local girl she'll get information that's all over the map.

Real life example:

I was offered 60 rai of prime land for planting rubber,last spring, with chanote. asking price 40,000 baht per rai. total of 2.4million.

A very good price for what was being offered, and for my area. I didn't have the cash so I passed on the offer.

The land sold for 3.6 million to a guy from Sweden and his Thai wife who weren't locals and were in a rush to buy quick, quick , quick.

Take your time.

As local's who have lived in the area and have bought land, the wife and I get offers on pretty much a weekly basis to buy land. We always look and turn down 99% of what is offered on a variety of reasons. When we see one that meets our criteria and the money is available we jump on it.

There are values to be had out there, but to go into an area blindy you're taking a shot in the dark, in my opinion

The price over the years is rising rapidly due to the increased use of land for things other than rice, but the best advice I can give is go slowly and gather some information from other places than a internet forum

Best of luck

Ken

• Like 1

Why do you want to know my professional qualifications ?

Is that to tell everyone on here how smart you are copy paste ? so far I am not impressed my background is not real estate but in Farm animal Genetics. but I have lived here for a solid 15 years... How long have you been here David ?

Once again Thailand is not the USA and I have never seen any land here in the last 20 years fall in price.

Do I have a ball, no I do not but do around 50 farm visits a month all over Thailand and land is going up

Your GF family farm shrimp, why would I want to look .

Show me something you have done here its ok we all know the answer your giving advice to people on here who know far more than you will ever know

Now you can feel free to carry on helping everyone as you seem to know it all

The truth probably lies somewhere between the two. I have given the legal case which will apply. If there is a fight the lands department and court will enforce access and it is access that suits the person wanting access not the owner of the land. the person wanting access must pay the owner compensation for that and it will be set by the lands department and court but not excessive.

Generally Thais prefer to live in harmony with their neighbours and often they are also in extended family relationships with them. Making too much of a fuss can endanger their social stability so they prefer to go without enforcing their right in many cases.

• Like 1

My friend owns some land and she describes it as '3 teak'. Any ideas how big/small this ammount is ? Apparently her mother bought her 1 teak as a wedding present and she has since bought another two.

She insists it is 'Teak' (as in type of tree) and she has double checked in her Thai/English dictionary.

Some of the best arguments on TV are in the farming forum.

I love it drunk.gif

andycrosby seems to be involved in starting many of them.

Check out

Lending To Farmers

He's on top form there.

well he does have a AScotish name......what do you expect. licklips.gif

Where can I but land at 6,000 to 30,000 baht per rai? Obviously you have NOT bought any land recently.

They would laugh in his face around Nong Bua Lam Phu if he offered anything less than 50,000 Baht per rai for arable land near a paved road.

But then again he's not a rocket scientist is he?

My Hotel is OK. laugh.png You need a job, grass is a bit long. ?

Sorry, too busy, 20 rai of corn almost ready to harvest in 2-3 weeks.

20 rai at 6k, I'll buy it. You can keep the ''corn''.

I'll offer 6k and I will help him harvest the corn for that price.

My Hotel is OK. laugh.png You need a job, grass is a bit long. ?

Sorry, too busy, 20 rai of corn almost ready to harvest in 2-3 weeks.

20 rai at 6k, I'll buy it. You can keep the ''corn''.

I'll offer 6k and I will help him harvest the corn for that price.

Bastard. laugh.png

just because I tell people the truth does not make it an argument. People who have been here 5 minutes who are not even farming and do not own any land spouting rubbish that they know nothing about need to be put in there place

How can anyone tell me a trend in the USA will follow here :- argument because I used to sell real estate in America

SORRY It is not an argument.

and no I am not Scotish

As for the 6k a rai buy it and ill give you double your money.

• Like 1

just because I tell people the truth does not make it an argument. People who have been here 5 minutes who are not even farming and do not own any land spouting rubbish that they know nothing about need to be put in there place

How can anyone tell me a trend in the USA will follow here :- argument because I used to sell real estate in America

and no I am not Scotish

Excuse me Sir, what is wrong with being Scottish? huh.png

and no I am not Scotish

Will the internet run out of pages?

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Like 2

and no I am not Scotish

Will the internet run out of pages?

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

10/10

That's a good answer biggrin.png

I'm staggered by the amount of replies and its good to have a good thread too, there is sure a lot to learn about the land aspect, even though I've been around thailand for 17 years its a new area to me; I'll keep reading and learning, kind regards

I think the best advise was giving by poster # 37 Quote: Farmland in Thailand is valued In a variety of ways.

Quality of land

Access to the land

Type of land title

Size of land

Local value

But the most important is Location,Location, and Location.

Pat

Any access? Yes, some property is sold which is effectively land locked and to access it you have to travel over another's property to which you may or may not have legal right to do so.

Just to point out in Thailand you always have the right to access your land, the person blocking you in is required by Thai law to grant access, you don't have to ask. Also, others are often allowed access to your land in order to gather food, especially on uncultivated land.

For example

Villagers would not be allowed in my wifes corn field to steal corn, but they would be perfectly entitled to enter the field to gather frogs.

TommoPhysicist, your experience and mine is different.

My gf's Farm is landlocked with no right of land access in any form.

Their only legal access is via a klong.

They do have vehicular access but it is at the option of the landholder who controls the land.

I did question her at length about this because, where I come from, that is illegal for the original sub-division to have originally occurred.

http://www.samuifors...ode-part-3.html

Section 1349. If a piece of land is so surrounded by other pieces of land that it has no access to the public ways, the owner may pass over the surrounding land to reach a public way.

The same applies, if passage can only be had over a pond, marsh, or sea, or if there is a steep slope with a considerable difference of level between the land and the public way.

The place and the manner of the passage must be chosen as to meet the needs of the person entitled to passage and at the same time to cause as little damage as possible to the surrounding land. The person entitled to passage may, if necessary, construct a road for passage.

The person entitled to passage must pay compensation for any damage suffered by the land owner on account of the passage being established. Such compensation, except for damages arising from the construction of a road, may be made by annual payments

Section 1350. Where land has been so partitioned or partially transferred that a plot is left without access to a public way, the owner of such plot may claim right of way under the forgoing section only over the land which has been so partitioned or partially transferred.

In such case no compensation need to be paid

this is national in Thailand??? Enforceable.... we have ROW to our rubber farm through an adjacent rubber farm which we purchased but they say we cannot pave it it any way..not a big deal just interested...sounds like we can't stop people coming on to our land to shoot stuff or cut grass for their cows too???

Edited by David006

No one can shoot anything in Thailand on your land or anyone elses, 99% of guns are against the law even an air gun will see you locked up

We grow grass as a crop for our stock by the statement anyone can take my grass ? I would like to find out more from the village head how this works , as I would consider it theft

No one can shoot anything in Thailand on your land or anyone elses, 99% of guns are against the law even an air gun will see you locked up

We grow grass as a crop for our stock by the statement anyone can take my grass ? I would like to find out more from the village head how this works , as I would consider it theft

They can't take your crop, but they can gather other food on your land.

(bugs, frogs, mushrooms, etc.)