Long Overstay For Small Children

Hi,

I have a son with my burmese wife. He was born on Koh Samui one and a half years ago and is now in Germany with me for the first time for four weeks.

We will go back to Thailand where I have been staying for the previous 2.5 years in about 2 weeks.

My plan is as follows: I am going to get a triple entry tourist visa that will get me a maximum of 60+30+60+30+60+30 days = approx. 9 months and thereafter eventually an education visa to learn the Thai language.

I would not like to spend a fortune on getting my son (only german nationality) the same visa and surely do not want to take him on two or more visa runs.

It is stressful and expensive (1900 Baht for extensions of a tourist visa and having to travel to Koh Samui from Koh Tao).

So I would just like him to enter Thailand with that 30 day Visa waiver and stay with me and his mom then and then eventually go back to Germany sometime in 2013.

So he would have probably more than a year overstay the next time he leaves Thailand.

I read that children do not get fined for overstay but do you think that it will be a problem since it is such a long 'willingly committed' overstay?

It would probably be save to get him the same visa as me but then I am looking at about 10.000 THB or more costs for him for the 9 months plus all the stress.

Any advise is appreciated

Best regards,

Coffeehouse

I'm a little concerned about this too - mine were born in Thailand (full farang) but have no visas, my son will have almost two years of overstay when we next leave in June. I know he will not be fined but will the long overstays possibly be a problem when we come back (after a month) or are they just going to stamp him in for the 30 days no problem?

There is no fine so that will not be an issue. But they do have to meet entry requirements and without a visa that would mean ticket out within 30 days allowed by visa exempt entry so you may want to have him arrive on a normal tourist visa (or getting on airline might be a problem).

I'm a little concerned about this too - mine were born in Thailand (full farang) but have no visas, my son will have almost two years of overstay when we next leave in June. I know he will not be fined but will the long overstays possibly be a problem when we come back (after a month) or are they just going to stamp him in for the 30 days no problem?

As said, no problem.

Do have the birth certificate at hand when they leave. The birth certificate shows why they don't have any record of entering Thailand and will clear the way without any problems.