People Urged To Donate Blood For New Year Injuries

george

People urged to donate blood for New Year injuries

BANGKOK: -- The Thai Red Cross Society has issued an urgent appeal for blood donations ahead of the New Year festival, saying stocks are at a critically low level.

The society's National Blood Centre said here Tuesday that blood bank reserves were nearly exhausted, particularly stocks of A and O blood groups.

It said there had been a surge in donations in the aftermath of last year's tsunami disaster, but contributions had since dropped off.

Demand for blood is around 1,500 units a day on average in Bangkok and around 3,000 units a day in provincial areas, according to the National Blood Centre.

The centre urged people from all walks of life to donate blood for emergency use for the inevitable casualties of the forthcoming New Year celebrations.

A reserve of 4,500 units of blood a day was targeted in Bangkok and double of that in provincial areas, the National Blood Centre said.

--TNA 2005-12-20

Not denying the need for blood, and I will try to give again at Red Cross in Bkk., but then why did I read this on page 2A of The Nation on December 18, in the article headed, "Teachers protest in Chiang Mai"?

"While many staged protests at the City Hall with speeches, music and poetry, some representatives went to Wat Dab Pai in Muang Chiang Mai, and 64 others went to donate blood at Maharat Hospital but were turned away by provincial Red Cross officials."

Why were 64 blood donors turned away? Is this the kind of treatment teachers can expect from provincial officials under Toxin's plan to transfer education authority (and money) to the local guys?

The dissorganisation is awful though..

During Tsunami times there were appeals for blood.. I went to donate.. Not needed.. Then more appeals for my blood type.. went... not needed.. The 3rd time they took your blood type and a phone number so they could call you any time.. Never did..

Now they need blood.. Perhaps try calling those people who offer to donate but have already done the 2 - 3 hour visit and run around and been told to go away..

Edited by LivinLOS

Does the Thai Red Cross ask you numerous questions about your sexual history (Have you ever paid for sex?, etc.) prior to accepting your donation, similar to the USA blood centers? Last year, Medic USA refused to allow me to donate blood because I had recently visited Ubon Ratchathani, which they document as a yellow fever zone.

I did my first donation here a couple of months ago, the chest hospital on Tiwanon road. No waiting, cold drink and a couple of little cakes afterwards, and friendly, talkative staff. Very few questions though, no dropping a bit of blood into the greeny blue liquid, only one sample taken at the end, a little different from the UK. Also, the NBTS in the UK won't accept blood from people that have visited Thailand for three years.

I'm going again when my three months are up.

Does the Thai Red Cross ask you numerous questions about your sexual history (Have you ever paid for sex?, etc.) prior to accepting your donation, similar to the USA blood centers?  Last year, Medic USA refused to allow me to donate blood because I had recently visited Ubon Ratchathani, which they document as a yellow fever zone.

Yellow fever are u sure? Yellow fever is localised only in Central/South America and Equatorial Africa.

More probably malaria...