Army Chief Says Thailand Facing 3,000 Militants, Urges Public To Not Panic

george

I simply do not buy it takes many years to pull off an indiscriminate car bombing of a hotel. Targeting a president or hijacking planes, yeah. They would have to be pretty inept for a car bomb to take years to plan. I would opine the entire process could happen in a matter of days provided they already had access to bomb materials. What aspect of planning to park a car loaded with explosives in the garage of a hotel takes years to figure out?

• Like 1

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is way way way too much generalizing and 'putting people into boxes' going on in this thread. "Muslims are all this" "Buddhists act like this", that is just a narrow minded and ignorant way to view the world and the people living in it. I have known people from both religions across the world from East to West, and to label each person as a Buddhist or a Muslim who all seem to act in a similar fashion is really quite ignorant. Each person has a personality, a set of morals and are not the same when you scratch just a little beneath the surface. Yes you will find certain traits in some people within the same culture, but that cannot be said for every person who is related to that faith.

The problem is, very few Muslims are prepared to voice outrage at the atrocities comitted by the radicals in their midst. They seem quite happy to turn a blind eye to the horrors carried out in the name of Allah.

"In order for evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing."

Do you personally know any muslims ?

Eat , drink and chat with them perhaps ?

I call you on your inane and destructive generalisation.

Call on me to do what? Retract my comment that few muslims are prepared to stand up and condemn the atrocities committed by the fanatics in their midst? It's a fact, why would I retract? I have travelled extensively in a few muslim countries, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and honestly can't say I was treated particularly hospitably, unless there was a dinah in it for someone.

• Like 1

What aspect of planning to park a car loaded with explosives in the garage of a hotel takes years to figure out?

Reversing in to the parking bay without help from a whistling guard? rolleyes.gif

Or what to eat at McDonalds after we park the car.

Edited by ttelise
  • Like 1

In Aceh Banda two Christian girls were beheaded. A note was left - a life for a life - an eye for an eye - a tooth for a tooth. What this means is that you killed two of our Muslim brothers or sisters so we have a right to kill two of yours. This is the cause for why we have to worry about getting a bomb up our arse when we eat our sushi in Hat Yai. Which means I will have to wait until I get to Bangkok to eat sushi again. Is it worth the risk of becoming charcoal remains. Obviously not - keep away from major tourists spots in Thailand until the killings stop in the deep South as the bombing of Lee Gardens clearly shows we are in danger.

You need love instead of hate. Get a man or women I bet many on this board will pay for you

At the very least see a Doctor soon

I pledge 1000 baht.

In Canada they have the Canadian Mental Health Society.

Does Australia not have a similar society?

Malaysia - the country that the people in the south rightly belong to. This was prevented by a shabby deal between Britain & Thailand in the heyday of empires.

Why would they "rightly belong to" Malaysia? Malaysia was made up of regions that don't "rightly belong to" Malaysia.

Sadly wherever you get Muslims in great numbers you get war and oppression.

I feel for the good Thai people in the south.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Malaysia - the country that the people in the south rightly belong to. This was prevented by a shabby deal between Britain & Thailand in the heyday of empires.

You are forgetting that Malaysia dosen't want them. If they wanted more brothels they would build there own.

Much of the post empire wars and civil wars were caused by just this kind of line drawing on maps with no understanding of the underlying cultures at play...

It's sad that todays leaders with more modern knowledge can't make the concessions needed to right old wrongs without feeling they will have to lose too much face if the move. They seem to act like standing tough is a sign of strength, when to the outside it looks intensely paranoid weakness on a grand scale.

Edited by animatic

First the root of the conflicts are coming from the 70's when Bangkok has decided to centralised the 3 sultanates, which until this time were beneficiary of certain autonomy. Bangkok has implemented its own administration, replacing the traditional local ones (and getting out of work local influent family).

To be noticed that those 3 sultanates have never been part of Malaysia

To be noticed (some are confusing that Malay is a race and Malaysian are citizens of Malaysia- Malaysia citizens are 60% of Malays, 30% of Chinese and 10% of others- particularly Indians)

The horrible massacre of Tak Bai has reshuffle a conflict which was on the extinction path.

Religions have nothing to do initially with the reasons of the conflict, but some separatists play with that in order to enlarge their support to all Muslims. We should not be trapped.

Religion issues should be kept aside, and westerners should make the difference between moderate sunni muslims, (the vast majority), chiites and extremists. We have known such antagonisms and bloody conflicts between Christians, and centuries have been necessary for cooling the fires and reaching a relative peaceful maturity (unfortunately still some resurgences from time to time). Because in our history, we have known analog periods to what is happening here, we should take some altitudes and work for cooling the minds on both sides. Enough blood and lost lifes, we have to work in order it ends.

The solution is through negotiations and discussions with good will people from both sides: the Malay community and the Thai Administration/ Government. As farangs, observers of what is happening, indirectly involved by our in law families, it is our duty to try to cool down the minds and pull everybody on a reasonable track and not to participate to the excitation.

My 3 cents

Well I certanly like a lot of what you say but who do you supose the southern three provinces will have negotiate for them.

Yes there are many Muslims who do not support the terrorists but there are a awful lot who do. How do you know that they are not donating money to them behind there closed door. Makes no difference what any one shows the world but is it what he practices behind his closed door.

Also Any one that has information on them is a sympathizer and therefore part of the problem.

There is way way way too much generalizing and 'putting people into boxes' going on in this thread. "Muslims are all this" "Buddhists act like this", that is just a narrow minded and ignorant way to view the world and the people living in it. I have known people from both religions across the world from East to West, and to label each person as a Buddhist or a Muslim who all seem to act in a similar fashion is really quite ignorant. Each person has a personality, a set of morals and are not the same when you scratch just a little beneath the surface. Yes you will find certain traits in some people within the same culture, but that cannot be said for every person who is related to that faith.

The problem is, very few Muslims are prepared to voice outrage at the atrocities comitted by the radicals in their midst. They seem quite happy to turn a blind eye to the horrors carried out in the name of Allah.

"In order for evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing."

Not at all. Their silence of condemnation for this act is deafening. Where are the local muslim leaders condemning this act of base terrorism?

• Like 2

Not at all. Their silence of condemnation for this act is deafening. Where are the local muslim leaders condemning this act of base terrorism?

Yep. One step further would be to turn over perpetrators to send message this is nit acceptable. Apparently, it is not only acceptable, it is endorsed.

First of- I help train that army and no! Thailand does not have the largest army in the world, Once again some one with out Military knowledge speaking with un-educated mind- At least look it up on the Internet. The Thai Military is not up to the task because of people like Charlem trying to be friends with every country. The Muslims in the south is a big problem because all the other Muslim countries like Malaysia and even the Middle East are bound by religion and culture to help a fellow Muslim even if they do not like that person or people. The South is getting logistical and financial support from other Muslim Cultures to fight their war.

Private Military Companies will be fighting more wars in the future and if ran properly and with the the Government can be successful- case in point with the NON-AMERICAN company called Executive Outcome, Once again an idiot made a previous commit referring to the Vietnam war and how Vietnam kick the United States Butt, when in fact we lost that war because of our own internal politics. we were not allowed to win that war, And to add to that one of the largest nations in the world was helping- But as would the U.S help out one of our Allies.

reliably sourced entries.

Flag State Active Reserve Paramilitary Total Total per 1000 capita

Active per 1000 capita

22px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States of America[181][182] 1,458,219 1,458,500 11,035 2,927,754 9.3 4.7

22px-Flag_of_Thailand.svg.png Thailand[166][note t] 305,860 245,000 113,700 664,560 10.1 4.6

Nuff said hit-the-fan.gif

Once again Ignorance is Bliss for you too my friend- First of all Thailand does not have a large Army the U.S does with Russia and North Korea- Our General are more skilled and in more quantity-Second I help train the Royal Thai Army on several occasions. There are a lot of issues of issues with the Thai Government that will make them fail with the insurance and to boot that Iran and other Muslim Nations are lending assistance as they are bound by there culture. I also believe that you are talking out your ass about Vietnam war, First of that was was lost because our chicken shit pot smoking liberal politicians at he time would not allow us to win. It was an internal issue and there our real information on that- All we had to Nuke them like we Japan- would that satisfy you then?

I am a decorated war veteran and was a skilled operator for with 10 years of combat until my accident- what do you have besides a liberal ass America hating opinion? I will be in Thailand in June, why not meet up and allow me to give you my opinion personally- Hooah!!.

PTSD? Your argung with yourself. Thai army using someone in this state of mind for training? Therein would lie a problem uf true. Meet up and what, break a hip. Better off chasing bar girls and telling war stories. Hate to say it, but a lot of public's disenfranchising with Vietnam war came as the direct result of our actions there and due to heavy losses in battles such as Tet or just to take over a hill.

The actions of our military where similar to that seen in Tak Bai. Fear and adrenal evokes actions and responses directly proportional to the level of fear encountered. I guess one could blame press for reporting, but one still must accept responsibility for their own actions. Aweful war brought out worst of human nature on both sides.

Once again my friend you are talking from your ASS!- The United States Military trains Armies from all over the world since- Wait for it....the end of Vietnam. The U.S Army Ranger Schools have been training the Thai Royal Army since- wait for it......The end of the Vietnam war. And no I do not have PTSD- I was shot in the Back as our Helo was taking on fire. And I more than capable of teaching some history lessons if you like- And Yes I enjoy your prostitutes and bootleg shit- Isn't that Thailand is for? BTW how is your Mother doing? I hope she is doing fine :)

You really need to see a doctor my friend you seem unbalanced- BTW I am one of the few Farangs that is allowed to Carry fire arms in Thailand. But lets do meet I will buy you a beer and a hooker to relieve your stress.

Seems that most of the bombs originate from Christian America..............

Let's deal with southern Thailand, shall we?

No bombs from America, buddhists, jews, catholics, hindus, presbyterians, folks wearing magical under garments, bahai's, pentecostal holy rollers,wiccans, druids, the British Royal Family, Freemasons or students at Mahidol.

The only people that have been consistently setting off bombs intended to terrorize the civilian population for the past decade espouse a specific religious affiliation. And it is an affiliation that they wish to force upon everyone living in the region by way of religious affiliated schools, religion specific laws, and a religious based way of life.

Tell that to Anders Breivik.

http://www.inebnetwo...h-out-suffering

Study this link, you can learn or stay ignorant.

Well I started to read it and it was pretty obvious where it was going.

Reminds me of what my Criminologist instructor said If Jesus was to come to day and try to be the same we would lock him up. Same goes for Buddha. They both had great principals well worth aiming for but we will never reach them in there entirety.

Today is a different day and things are completely different. No longer can we just work with in our own culture. We are learning about new cultures every day or at least using them.

Do you think your computer was built by your culture. It is the result of the work of several different cultures.

Um, isn't this so called " Insurgency " a PAYBACK for what the Thai army did to those people in that Southern Thailand? I mean what do you expect when you round up all the men in the town and cattled them away then half of them came back?? How come the videos are not blasted on Thai TV? Heck, even a drunken backpacker sitting here in the US knows that.

They stirred up the hornet's nest big time on this. Good luck solving this one.

Um, isn't this so called " Insurgency " a PAYBACK for what the Thai army did to those people in that Southern Thailand? I mean what do you expect when you round up all the men in the town and cattled them away then half of them came back?? How come the videos are not blasted on Thai TV? Heck, even a drunken backpacker sitting here in the US knows that.

They stirred up the hornet's nest big time on this. Good luck solving this one.

I do take your point , but I certainly do not think the Tak Bai incident was the main reason for the troubles in the South ,although I do admit it did quite a lot of damage, this problem has been handled badly ,the "iron fist" just did not work , what will at this late stage is beyond me , what a bloody mess!.

First the root of the conflicts are coming from the 70's when Bangkok has decided to centralised the 3 sultanates, which until this time were beneficiary of certain autonomy. Bangkok has implemented its own administration, replacing the traditional local ones (and getting out of work local influent family).

To be noticed that those 3 sultanates have never been part of Malaysia

To be noticed (some are confusing that Malay is a race and Malaysian are citizens of Malaysia- Malaysia citizens are 60% of Malays, 30% of Chinese and 10% of others- particularly Indians)

The horrible massacre of Tak Bai has reshuffle a conflict which was on the extinction path.

Religions have nothing to do initially with the reasons of the conflict, but some separatists play with that in order to enlarge their support to all Muslims. We should not be trapped.

Religion issues should be kept aside, and westerners should make the difference between moderate sunni muslims, (the vast majority), chiites and extremists. We have known such antagonisms and bloody conflicts between Christians, and centuries have been necessary for cooling the fires and reaching a relative peaceful maturity (unfortunately still some resurgences from time to time). Because in our history, we have known analog periods to what is happening here, we should take some altitudes and work for cooling the minds on both sides. Enough blood and lost lifes, we have to work in order it ends.

The solution is through negotiations and discussions with good will people from both sides: the Malay community and the Thai Administration/ Government. As farangs, observers of what is happening, indirectly involved by our in law families, it is our duty to try to cool down the minds and pull everybody on a reasonable track and not to participate to the excitation.

My 3 cents

Well I certanly like a lot of what you say but who do you supose the southern three provinces will have negotiate for them.

Yes there are many Muslims who do not support the terrorists but there are a awful lot who do. How do you know that they are not donating money to them behind there closed door. Makes no difference what any one shows the world but is it what he practices behind his closed door.

Also Any one that has information on them is a sympathizer and therefore part of the problem.

I am not naive and yes probably insurgents are collecting money from a lot of people -who cannot say no- It is like the mafia ransoning retail businesses under threats.

But this is secondary.

There have been several attempts of mediations between Thai Government and Insurgents, we should take a clear position saying "this is the only path to Peace

Álso, by globalising to all muslims, as some are doing in this thread, you help the insurgents.

This conflict has initially nothing to do with religion. Insurgents try to bring it on the religious domain, because it ensures a larger support. We should not fall in this trap. We have to be more mature.

And personnally working between Malaysia and Thailand, I do have Muslims friends in Malaysia, and they love Peace and do not want to be involved in Thai affairs. But if insurgents succeed to link this to Religion, it is becoming a bigger issue and some may re consider their postions.

Be mature, we have to avoid a certain globalisation of the conflicts. And Peace is obtained by negociations and discussions not by weapons.

At the end the question is: By enlarging current conflict to a religious base, are you aware you help the insurgents to gain a wider support with even the risk of a certain internationalisation?

My answer is no, the roots of this conflict are not religious, this conflict is local and should remain local. it is by discussions and by maitaining a clean separation with religious ideology that Peace will be obtained.

yet another person who just likes to make it a religious issue and the "Muslims are terrorists" line of thinking.

This issue is mainly political and cultural (which includes religion, yes) and has more to do with Thailand occupying a people who share little in common with the rest of Thailand. It's about history and autonomy. These provinces really should never have become part of Siam a hundred years back, in an ideal world, and that's the reason people continue to suffer for this largely political issue.

I guess the common perception isn't helped by the fact whilst 'muslim bombers' are all over the place (sometimes literally) when did you last hear of a buddhist bomber?

I seem to remember that the Red shirts used a few in Bangers!. Edited by Colin Yai
  • Like 1

Meanwhile, the TAT has insisted that the Midnight Songkran celebration in Hat Yai will go on as planned during 11-13 April since Hat Yai is an important financial area.

In order to regain confidence, the Songkhla Governor plans to hold a midnight sale event on the road in front of the explosion site.

say wha'??? blink.pnghuh.png

more information on the most important tourism figures, but no update on the midnight sale at the bomb site:

Saturday's bomb blasts in Hat Yai and Yala, which killed 14 people and injured more than 500 others, will damage tourists' sentiment in the short term, but the country is expected to maintain its status as a leading tourist destination in the long run and attract at least 20 million foreign visitors this year, according to the Tourism Department.

As regards the upcoming Songkran Festival, Tourism Authority of Thailand Governor Suraphon Svetasreni said yesterday that if there were no repeat of the past weekend's extreme violence, he believed there would be no impact on the event, and in particular on the number of foreign tourists who normally take part.

Moreover, the Tourism Department will not revise its projection of foreign visitor arrivals of between 20.5 million and 20.8 million for the year, up from 19.09 million in 2011.

Despite the deadly explosions in the South, foreigners will remain confident that Thailand is a safe place to visit, said Arnupap Gaesornsuwan, Deputy Director of the agency, which is part of the Tourism and Sports Ministry.

http://www.nationmul...T-30179239.html

For Gods sake GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE SAND

:blink::huh:

OK, CHUP. Thanks for the tip.

:wacko: