Siem Reap To Bangkok Overland

thaimiller

Hi,

Ive done a search to no avail and looked on other forums but only found replies in the 2009 era.

3 of us are flying into Phnom Phenn on the 16th of April then after spending a few days there going overland to Siem Reap.

We will leave Siem Reap on the 22nd April overland and are wondering what is the best way to get back to BKK, we are not looking for the cheapest but probably the fastest without paying for the 6k Bangkok Air flight each.

2 of us have non-imm visa's for Thailand and the other will need a VOA at Poipet, does anyone know of a taxi firm that will do it, if so how long did it take and how much. Ive read alot of horror stories about hours on the border waiting for all the group on a bus to get through, so I thinking more of a taxi to the border then a separate taxi to BKK. So any information from someone who has done it say in the last 6 months would be welcomed.

Cheers In advance

TM

Edited by thaimiller

Siem Reap is easy, just find a man with a van/car while you are there to get to the border.

Three of us paid 1500baht, the reverse journey, takes about 1.5hours.

At the border you can train/bus/car to Bangkok. Border crossing was quick.

Not sure, a Thai visa at a land crossing you only get a fifteen day stay. Maybe somebody else can comment on this issue.

• Like 1

Siem Reap is easy, just find a man with a van/car while you are there to get to the border.

Not sure, a Thai visa at a land crossing you only get a fifteen day stay. Maybe somebody else can comment on this issue.

Cheers for that, 15 days is ok for our friend has he is only in Thailand for another 7 days, the other 2 of us have long term thai visas with re-entry permits, so that isn't a problem, thanks for the other info.

Get an e visa online, it should save time and border tout fees.

If you can get hold of arrival and departure forms for Cambodia beforehand, even better.

Don't forget your arrival/departure (TM6) forms coming back into Thailand.

UbobOz - can you please confirm the times for Poipet to Siem Reap.

If you can get hold of arrival and departure forms for Cambodia beforehand, even better.

didn't think Thailand did an e visa? can you send me a link if possible. We should get arrival/departure card for Cambodia on the flight into Phnom Phenn and thanks for the reminder on the TM6 cards. Edited by thaimiller

didn't think Thailand did an e visa? can you send me a link if possible. We should get arrival/departure card for Cambodia on the flight into Phnom Phenn and thanks for the reminder on the TM6 cards.

Link here:-

http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/evisa/

Also fixes the cost at at $25 (Poipet, Hat Lek and Chong Chom all try to get 1100/1200 Baht.

In theory should also be quicker at arrival in PP - just turn right towards immigration, most people head for VOA.

hi,

me and my wife travelled from Siem Reap to Bangkok december last year, by bus. It was fine for us. It did take about 12 hours I think, including waiting at the border and a few times at restaurants (which is annoying).

I feel that whichever transportation you choose, you'll be travelling all day anyway. But yes I guess taking a taxi to the border might save some time.

OP! you said: VOA(Visa On Arrival)? - this is not available on any land border from Cambo to LOS!

you do not say anything about your friend's passport.

Available VOA are for 15 days only - in airport and on land borders(from Laos and Malaysia),

another thing is called - visa exemption(30 days airport,15 days land border).

My friend from Slovakia was turned back in Poipet and Thai Immigration made big

story out of it.They wanted to charge him:"attempt of illegal entry".

I think the problem here is that cardholder is having an attack of dyslexia - the OP was talking about going FROM Siem Reap TO Bangkok, NOT the other way around.

The number of days you get (if any) on a visa-exempt entry depends on the country whose passport you are traveling on. Best to check the MFA website for the specific country. Most Western countries are 15 days.

• Like 1

OP! you said: VOA(Visa On Arrival)? - this is not available on any land border from Cambo to LOS!

you do not say anything about your friend's passport.

Available VOA are for 15 days only - in airport and on land borders(from Laos and Malaysia),

another thing is called - visa exemption(30 days airport,15 days land border).

My friend from Slovakia was turned back in Poipet and Thai Immigration made big

story out of it.They wanted to charge him:"attempt of illegal entry".

From a Cambodian Government website: Aranyaprathet, Thailand/Poipet , Cambodia

Cambodian visas and Thai transit visas available on arrival at the border. Cambodian E-Visa accepted at this crossing.

Open 08:00-20:00

Most overland travelers from Thailand to Siem Reap enter Cambodia through the Poipet/Aranyaprathet border crossing and either bus or taxi into Siem Reap. The route is popular and well-traveled. Cambodian visas are available at the border. The practice of overcharging for tourist visas seems to on the wane. Visas are now available at regular visa prices. For those going the other direction, 15-day Thai transit visas are available at the border free of charge. Other types of Thai visas are not available.

So it seems that the 15 day Visa is still available, not sure why your friend had that much trouble, unless anyone else knows any different rules that have been put into place??

Edited by thaimiller

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update on how we got on. We found a taxi company in Phnom Penh to take us to Seam Reap for $70, most companies wanted between $75-$100, this journey took almost 5 hours including a quick break for food and toilets etc. The car was a few year old Camry with lots of room for luggage etc. We asked the driver if he knew of a Tuk-Tuk driver to show us round Angkor Wat etc and he arranged one for $15 for the day. The Guy's name was and his mobile number is +885-92874959, was asked him about a price to Poipet and he told us $35 which we accepted, this journey took just under 2 hours on a pretty good road in a slightly older Camry but still more than big enough. After getting the stamp out of Cambodia we joined the line for people entering Thailand, which took us around 1hr 30mins to get through. Then we got a taxi into bkk from the limousine service (Toyota Vios) for 2000 thb in to Sukhumvit about 3 hours. There was no problem in my friend with out a visa in getting the 15 day stamp in his passport. Obviously this Journey can be done a lot cheaper, but all the prices we between 3 of us and Im sure the times quoted would be hard to beat with out flying, especially on a bus. Hope this helps anyone that wants to do Cambodia into Thailand Boutique Backpacking Style biggrin.png

I paid 48baht for the train from BKK to Arayaprathet and $12 or so to share a camry into S.R.

The train takes 5-6hrs, but it's a great ride, hawkers selling fresh goods at every stop, and no stopping at scam stops.

Though, I missed it on the way back because the tourist idiots had to have their cigs and waste time at the scam stop... twice, it's a dam_n 3hr ride from S.R. to Poipet...

The next time I do this, I will do the train again, rather wake up at 4am and spend 3hrs longer and not have to deal with a bus full of people from KSR and be able to get up and walk around. Then only stick to taking camrys from the border to S.R.

I paid 48baht for the train from BKK to Arayaprathet and $12 or so to share a camry into S.R.

The train takes 5-6hrs, but it's a great ride, hawkers selling fresh goods at every stop, and no stopping at scam stops.

Though, I missed it on the way back because the tourist idiots had to have their cigs and waste time at the scam stop... twice, it's a dam_n 3hr ride from S.R. to Poipet...

The next time I do this, I will do the train again, rather wake up at 4am and spend 3hrs longer and not have to deal with a bus full of people from KSR and be able to get up and walk around. Then only stick to taking camrys from the border to S.R.

Hum....I took this train some years ago and I do not recall anything but a slow, endless, boring, uncomfortable ride

Unless they have upgraded from third (by lowest standard) to second class cars ( by higher standard) I just can't see how good was your trip. Of course no one is going to bother you at all and you won't have to make any scam stop, as you put it, as the speed of this train allows snails to follow the trail at sight

Again, one finds pleasure wherever one feels....

Hum....I took this train some years ago and I do not recall anything but a slow, endless, boring, uncomfortable ride

Unless they have upgraded from third (by lowest standard) to second class cars ( by higher standard) I just can't see how good was your trip. Of course no one is going to bother you at all and you won't have to make any scam stop, as you put it, as the speed of this train allows snails to follow the trail at sight

Again, one finds pleasure wherever one feels....

Nope it's still third class. But I spent my time talking to locals and enjoying the scenery. I did make the mistake once of not getting train tickets ahead of time and had to take third from BKK to Chiang Mai. At night the open windows made it colder than the aircon cars, but the seats were so dam_n uncomfortable...

E visa unnecessary, visa on border is EASY

BKK minivan to border B230

Taxi to SRP US35 first price, last quoted abt a month ago

What be easier than getting an e-visa ?

(I know it is not relevant to this thread but I disagree 100% with bangkokburning)