UK Embassy Launches 'Priority Visas' For Thai Nationals

UK Embassy launches ‘priority visas’ for Thai nationals

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- In response to the growing demand for visitor visas to the United Kingdom, the UK Border Agency and its commercial partner, VFS Global, have introduced two new premium visa services to provide customers with greater choice and flexibility, the UK Embassy in Bangkok announced today.

A priority visa service is now available to eligible people applying for a visitor visa. The service allows for customers, who meet certain criteria and pay an additional fee, to have their visa application placed at the front of the processing queue.

The new priority service costs 3,000 baht and is paid for at the time the application is submitted. The UK Border Agency aims to turn around priority applications within three working days, said the press release issued this morning.

A Prime Time appointment service has also been launched for the convenience of customers. Those who pay a fee can make an appointment to lodge their visa application and provide biometrics at the visa application center on a Saturday.

Prime Time appointments must be made online. Customers can also collect their documents between 9am and midday on Saturdays at no charge.

The upgrades in visa services comes as the UK welcomes an unprecedented numbers of Thai visitors. More than 50,000 visitor visas were issued to tourists, family visitors and business travellers in 2011 – a 16 per cent increase compared with the same period in 2010. And 94 per cent of all UK visitor visa applications filed in Thailand last year were successful, said the release.

These growing numbers are a tribute to the thriving business and tourism links between Thailand and the UK, which the British Government and British Embassy in Bangkok continue to work hard to foster.

“It is great to see that even more Thai people are choosing the UK as the ideal destination to travel and do business. The UK offers a wonderfully diverse range of attractions, from historical sites to modern architectural designs, and some of the best business event and conference facilities in the world.

“We hope to welcome even more visitors in 2012, the year of the London Olympics, where the world can see the best of what Britain has to offer,” said British Ambassador to Thailand Asif Ahmad.

The UK Border Agency also urged people wanting to travel to the UK for the Olympics to apply for visas early.

“As there is expected to be an increase in the number of applications in the lead up to the Olympics, those planning to travel at this time, whether you are a visitor or student, are encouraged to apply as soon as possible,” said the press release.

“UK visa applications made in Thailand continue to be processed well within published customer service standards - to make decisions on 90 per cent of all non-settlement visa applications within three weeks and 95 per cent of settlement visas within 12 weeks,” the statement noted.

Source: http://www.facebook....&type=1

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-04-03

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what would happen if everyone paid the 3,000 baht for the priority service, how do they all get to the front of the queue?

This would be good if there were extra employees for the priority service. But im not sure this is the case. Now its just a bribe to get in front of the que.

Thai antics in Greatbritistan.

• Like 2

Yup, Nothing new here. More TV posters posting negative remarks over every news piece posted. Sad world we live in. Can't please evferyone alll the time, right?!

Lifer, if you think the new service is a good idea, then say so. You will be in a minority at the moment. Members are entitled to comment on what they see as a retrograde step by the Embassy. I believe it is a big step in the wrong direction, and I have given reasons why I think so. Please feel free to put your reasons for supporting the move.

• Like 1

The only way i can see this as a good thing is when extra employees are added and financed from and responsible for those priority applications. That way your not putting the people who use the normal route at a disadvantage.

If its still the same amount of employees then this is nothing more as a money making schema and the more people that use it the slower it will become and the more the normal way will be slowed down.

You all complain about Thailand not being fair to us farangs.

But when a government extends a courtesy to Thailand out of good will, - still negative comments.

Sure the UK has the olympics, - but they still have to ensure that who they bring in has some baht. Thus 3,000 baht. So what? Thailand does that. So, what is this crap.

I think that the Thai Government will appreciate this gesture.

And to the man that said - "what has this has to do with peace"? You kidding? Better always for a start towards that.

To offer fast track visas to Thai's is a good thing. Stop complaining people. That is what I mean by peace.

Someone has to start. If the UK Government has done that. Good.

• Like 2

But when a government extends a courtesy to Thailand out of good will, - still negative comments.

Sure the UK has the olympics, - but they still have to ensure that who they bring in has some baht. Thus 3,000 baht. So what? Thailand does that. So, what is this crap.

And to the man that said - "what has this has to do with peace"? You kidding? Better always for a start towards that.

To offer fast track visas to Thai's is a good thing. Stop complaining people. That is what I mean by peace.

Preman, a couple of points for you to consider. The UK government is not offering Thais anything. There has always been a "premium" service for certain groups of people - business people ( people the UK government see as "important " stakeholders, British Council referred students, airline personnel, etc, etc ). Ordinary visa applicants have always been excluded from this premium service. Now, some are included in the "new " priority service, but all are going to have to pay, including those who were previously given free priority. So what has the UK government actually done for Thai visa applicants, apart from charge them for what was a free service ?

Most of the year a visit visa application is processed in around 5 working days. Now, you are offered a service for a priority visa for 3,000 THB, but without any guarantee that it will be issued within the hoped-for 3 working days. It's smoke and mirrors, that's all.

• Like 2

In the words of John Lennon, - "Give Peace A Chance".

If indeed the UK is extending their good will to Thailand, - let us see if Thailand will also be so generous.

Interesting subject.

It already is isn't it? UK Citizens don't need a visa to visit Thailand and my last 2 Cat B- non visas were issued in 24 hours by the Thai Consulate in Hull

VisasPlus has depressed me sad.png

How do I now get a short holiday visa for my girlfriend. She has never been out of Thailand before. We just want to take a few weeks with my family in UK. Any clues?

Offtopic, but I'd greatly appreicate some pointers from experienced users or mods - I can only post/reply here using "More reply options". All scripts are allowed but flash is blocked. Any help anyone

Again - aoplogies for being o/t

Classic evidence of someone reading something but not taking it in.

VisasPlus has depressed me sad.png

How do I now get a short holiday visa for my girlfriend. She has never been out of Thailand before. We just want to take a few weeks with my family in UK. Any clues?

I suggest you start a new topic. You will get plenty of assistance

Unlike many posters I do not see anything negitive with this offer. It may not be completely positive but certainly not negitive. Not everybody will want to pay the additional THB 3000 but when there is an urgent need to obtain a visa this should certainly help. I used the UK fast track option for my wife's Indefinate Leave to Remain as we need her passport back for travel and that cost about

GBP 300 (not sure of the actual amount now but a lot) but got confirmation same day. It worked really well and while a bit expensive I considered it worth while. I hope this works as well.