Notification Of Staying In The Kingdom Over 90 Days - Extension Questions?

Hi all,

Some questions without notice if I may ...

I have a Non Immigrant Visa, Category 'O' based on marriage. My visa was issued on the 28/12/2011 in Australia and I entered Thailand on the 7/1/2012. The entry Stamp says admitted until the 5 Apr 2012, two days time.

My wife and I intend to drive to Lao in the next two days, one because it allows me to do the 90 day trick and two my wife has not been to Lao before.

As we have our own vehicle and intend taking it I was idly roving through the Thai Immigration website to see if we have missed anything with taking it into Lao (we have the ownership papers (in my wife's name) from our bank, have procured International insurance, have obtained the International Transport Permit from the Vehicle Registration and Tax Standards Bureau and there are other papers attaining to my wife's ownership of the vehicle).

Thus I came across the section on 'Notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days' and this got the grey matter thinking - do we need to make this trip after all?

Therefore I wish to ask a couple of questions, if I may?:

1. Can I obtain an extension to the 90 day requirement?

2. How long is the extension?

3. Would obtaining an extension in this way cause me to have problems with my visa in regard to exiting and re-entering Thailand in the future?

4. What documents are required?

and,

5. In regard to taking the vehicle out of the country - does anyone think we have missed anything here?

Apologies for the long winded request but I would appreciate if some of you 'old hands' out there in the LOS may be able to give me a few answers.

Kind regards

Galerita

You must leave at 90 days, 90 day clock starts again when you enter the kingdom.

Seems like you things covered on the vehicle front.

The main point being you own it and it s not on finance etc and you have the vehicle passport etc.

Edited by CharlieH

Based on your marriage you can get a 60 day extension from immigration.

You can also get a 1 year extension of stay if you can show:

- an income of 40,000 baht a month (can be from abroad)

OR

- can show 400,000 baht in an account in Thailand in your name

Additional documents are required for both 60 day and 1 year extension.

You could extend the O visa for 12-months due to marriage if you meet certain financial requirements. Then you wouldn't have to do visa runs every 90 days -- just use the TM 47 form about notification of staying for longer than 90 days. You can submit the "90 day report" in person or via mail. There are many threads on this forum about the procedure to do a 12-month marriage extension. After you jump thru that hoop once, subsequent jumps become much easier.