Job Options For Americans In Thailand (Bangkok, Korat, Ect?)

I may be moving to Thailand end 2012, early mid 2013.

I'm 27 and have no college education at the moment, I was browsing craigslist for jobs in Bangkok, of course the Teaching jobs come up often.

Would I absolutly need a 4 Year Bachelors Degree to teach, or could I pass with just a TESOL/TEFL certificate?

Any other ideas if the teaching idea didn't go through? Any decent career options for foreigners out in Thailand that would'nt require me to do too much school before I could move?

Thanks alot for the replies.

You need to have some skill or education that helps put you in demand, and within a sought after minority of the work-force. Individuals that seek, and successfully gain, international employment are by-and-large well educated or have a sharp skill set that is in demand. The wise thing to do, if you are dead-set on Thailand, is to get/finish at least a Bachelors level degree in the States and then furiously send your resume to U.S. companies that dispatch employees to Thailand. I can only make uneducated assumptions as to why you have targeted Thailand on this time-table. If you are chasing true love, or on a religious quest I would implore you to take heed of all the tragic posts on this forum, and others, that detail the tragedy that all-to-often becomes reality for individuals on this path with similar credentials to yours. Yes, teaching is a option here and you can make about 40-50K Thai Bhat a month working 6 or 7 days a week. However, I have employed some teachers in my company for per-diem market research assignments. In over 10 years I have only met a handful of these teachers that were not borderline suicidal and wrought with cynicism about life in general.(no offense to the teachers, there are many of you out there doing a great job and i'm sure some are loving life...this is just my experience) Also, you need to take into account the language issue, if you do not speak the Thai language, this will compound the negative realities that exist here exponentially.....by a factor of about 10X.

Despite the pop-culture of American bashing and anti-U.S. sentiment, on this forum and elsewhere, you are in a country with excellent/affordable educational opportunities. Further, even with the faltering economy there are great employment opportunities for a man of your age and ambition with a proper education. I do not make these comments to discourage you, but, hopefully, encourage you to think a bit more long-term. These are huge life-changing decisions you are making and they will greatly affect your happiness and quality of life in your "successful" years. Believe me, you will be 40 years old in the blink of an eye. Do you want to reach that era in life, when you should have attained some success, looking back with regret, or to the future with eager anticipation of further the accomplishments to be made. These critical moments of decision truly effect your life's destiny. I wish you the best of luck!!

• Like 2

You could easily become a teacher without a degree. It will be much easier to do so in the countryside where many Thai schools are desperate to find native English speakers to teach English.

However, teaching salaries are very low so you will need to adapt your lifestyle (i.e. go native) unless you have some significant other income.

In general, Thailand is not a very financially-rewarding place to be an employee, unless one is transferred here from abroad on an expat package.

Given this, and your lack of academic qualifications, setting up your own business (either back home, online or in Thailand) is probably the best path to follow.

I've been here for about a year living on savings and various other things.

Add in a local GF or GF's if that's your thing and the budget is broken

quickly. Teaching is an option and I live nearly native (sold my iPad cause

I needed aircon) lol so it's doable but get your ducks in a row educationally

or you'll be headed home to work again for awhile so you can come back

(which I may find myself doing soon).

I have a mate that's an engineer in oil and gas and he lives a pretty

nice life here and gets plenty of holidays. I wish I'd have been smarter

when I was younger (like your age). But there's no saying you can't do

this for awhile and then that for awhile. It's your life and you can make

up or change some of the rules along the way.

OP.

There is some very good advice listed so far.

While any advanced education can be time consuming and costly. I would advise you to get some type of degree if at all possible. There are lots of success stories about people who made a fortune with very little education, but that would be rare and not the norm. Teaching is an admirable career, but would not be what I would personally go for. The teaching field is underpaid for which it does, open the mind to learning. I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but its realistic. Degreed people typically earn more. That is not to say you have to have a specfic degree to work in that field. Lots of people, I think I read somewhere, up to 30% of degreed people do not work in their degreed field. A degree proves that you have the ambition to complete a project, the same as if your working. That is what an employer is looking for. Commitment. Think long and hard about where you want to be in 10 years, 20 years. Spending a 2-4 years of going to school now, and working a part-time job will have a tremendous payout later in life. Especially if you are not married or have children at this time. Think engineering, medical, accounting, even computers and IT jobs. Crafts and skills like electricans, mechanics and plumbing. 2-4 years now sounds like a lifetime, but you'll still be young and Thailand isn't going to disappear any time soon. Good luck in whatever you decide.

I'm a bit afraid to ask why a 27-year old American with no college education, and perhaps no substantial job back home, wants to move to Thailand to take up life here as an English teacher.

When I was 27, I'd finished my bachelor's degree and already been working five years in my chosen profession, busy working my way up the career ladder.

I'm wondering -- does Thailand's already lousy educational system really need another undereducated, unskilled and under-motivated person pretending to be a teacher?

I'm wondering -- does Thailand's already lousy educational system really need another undereducated, unskilled and under-motivated person pretending to be a teacher?

Thailand will continue to get what they pay for when it comes to teachers. No proper teachers are going to come and teach in Sisaket or Buriram for 20,000 baht a month. There are a few teachers making good money at some international schools ie ISb, but for the most part the Thais are cheapos when it comes to pay. The Thais are to blame, not the teachers!

As for the OP? I see lots of questions in response to your questions and I will not do that.

I can tell you that if you are clean cut and not a drug user or a drunkard, then the answer is yes, you can find a teaching job in Thailand. I will send you a private message with some info on some private language schools where you will earn 45,000 to 70,000 baht a month - if you are willing to put in the hours, show up on time, be professional and follow the curriculum of student books, workbooks and CD's. The teacher books have all the answers and it is step by step teaching.

I know the posting attack is on its way, but I know many, many high school graduates teaching in Thailand that are awesome teachers with students and employers that absolutely love them!

• Like 2

Thailand will continue to get what they pay for when it comes to teachers. No proper teachers are going to come and teach in Sisaket or Buriram for 20,000 baht a month. There are a few teachers making good money at some international schools ie ISb, but for the most part the Thais are cheapos when it comes to pay. The Thais are to blame, not the teachers!

Fair comments above... I wasn't "blaming" the teachers for the state of Thailand's education system. But at the same time, what Thailand does still need are qualified, skilled, professional teachers -- not people who just want to do the job because it's one of the few ways a farang can find legal work in Thailand.

It's a legitimate point about the Thais being responsible for the state of teaching here. As one example, Thailand is chock full of a lot of very highly educated and well-skilled RETIRED professionals, including educators, many of whom would love to volunteer teaching for free, or do so for some very modest compensation, as a way of giving back to their communities here. But alas, even volunteer teaching on a retirement visa/extension is FORBIDDEN by the Thai government. That would be an easy and powerful change to make that would immediately improve teaching here and has been suggested many times, to no avail.

BTW, I'm no expert on the private language schools here in Thailand. But are you really saying that those schools will hire someone like the OP without any kind of college degree and pay them 45 to 70,000 baht per month?? The fees at some of those private language schools are pretty hefty... I would have thought, for those prices, they'd be a bit more selective in their hiring of "teachers."

BTW, I'm no expert on the private language schools here in Thailand. But are you really saying that those schools will hire someone like the OP without any kind of college degree and pay them 45 to 70,000 baht per month?? The fees at some of those private language schools are pretty hefty... I would have thought, for those prices, they'd be a bit more selective in their hiring of "teachers."

Yes they will. The catch is that the teachers have to work as much as 40 to 55 hours a week. It is easy and you teach a lot of private classes and no more than 8 or 10 in a class - adalts, teens and at the weekend children. The curriculum is spelled out and easy to follow.

As for work permits for teachers in Thailand? If you have been here long enough, you know the real answer about that!

There's been some great advice given here, especially about the strategic rethink of the whole Thailand thing.

Just as in the USA, most of the jobs won't find their way into the classified sections. You may have to burn some shoe leather to find them. I know, for example, some of our oilfield suppliers are struggling to find enough good people who will show up every day, pass the breathalyzer test, eat (as opposed to drink) lunch, and simply follow instructions. Plus, it's a bonus when they have someone that can communicate in excellent English. They're mostly interviewing locals, but the pay scale they were discussing this morning would be more than adequate, and the promotional opportunities would be pretty good if you prove yourself a good employee.

If you do find yourself in Thailand- and I'm not recommending you do that on a whim- I'd suggest heading out to some oilfield base areas like Sattahip, Lam Chabang (sp?), Songkhla and other areas. Bangkok isn't as promising for newly minted employees without significant experience.

Dress nicely, introduce yourself to the guys sitting in the western restaurants after hours and strike up a conversation. Don't try to keep up with them beer for beer- you'll generally lose- and fail their first test at the same time.. And don't get discouraged by any individual's response because there's nice ones and not so nice ones. If that doesn't work, burn some more shoe leather and drop CV's by the hundreds of workshops and warehouses in the oilfield areas.

There will be some hoops to jump through to get a work permit with your credentials, but many of the companies have excellent relationships with folks that can make that happen.

Good luck!

Edited by impulse

I'm a bit afraid to ask why a 27-year old American with no college education, and perhaps no substantial job back home, wants to move to Thailand to take up life here as an English teacher.

When I was 27, I'd finished my bachelor's degree and already been working five years in my chosen profession, busy working my way up the career ladder.

OP, if you come to thailand , you'll have to deal with people like this.

Considering there is a huge demand for workers that employers are having trouble filling in the Bakken oil fields area. Eastern Montanna, western North and South Dakota are going crazy finding enough able bodied workers. And these are well paying jobs in a rather nice area of the northern plains, and not all the jobs are rig workers.

By that, obviously, you mean someone like myself who worked his way through university, earned a bachelor's degree, spent 25 years working in the skilled profession he was trained for, retired, and THEN moved to Thailand.

And since I spent a good part of my career working in the education field, I know something about teachers and teaching. So I guess that also means having to deal with educators who consider the job more than merely a way to support one's youthful foreign adventures.

I don't have anything against the OP or against 27 year olds with no college education wanting to live in Thailand. But at least, if the OP or anyone else similar intends of inflicting themselves on students in a classroom here, they ought to at least first gain some training and preparation necessary for being some kind of a "teacher".

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

By that, obviously, you mean someone like myself who worked his way through university, earned a bachelor's degree, spent 25 years working in the skilled profession he was trained for, retired, and THEN moved to Thailand.

And since I spent a good part of my career working in the education field, I know something about teachers and teaching. So I guess that also means having to deal with educators who consider the job more than merely a way to support one's youthful foreign adventures.

And you, along with many others are making the same wages teaching in Thailand as the high school grad working at a language school!

BTW, the degree does not make the teacher. I have a bachelor and a master degree and I know some guys with a HS diploma that out-teach me by miles! Their students love them and find me to be quite the bore! I only taught because I was asked too and gave it up some years ago,

Edited by Koratpat

The world is rapidly moving on. What was once easy to do without a college degree now has an entry fee of a diploma. It is still possible to be a Bill Gates or Steve Jobs, but one must have the drive and determination to succeed.

Each of us achieves our own level of success, in our own minds. And as long you don't depend on the largess of others, do what you want and enjoy the short ride on the spaceship Earth.

• Like 1

Just as in the USA, most of the jobs won't find their way into the classified sections. You may have to burn some shoe leather to find them. I know, for example, some of our oilfield suppliers are struggling to find enough good people who will show up every day, pass the breathalyzer test, eat (as opposed to drink) lunch, and simply follow instructions. Plus, it's a bonus when they have someone that can communicate in excellent English. They're mostly interviewing locals, but the pay scale they were discussing this morning would be more than adequate, and the promotional opportunities would be pretty good if you prove yourself a good employee.

If you do find yourself in Thailand- and I'm not recommending you do that on a whim- I'd suggest heading out to some oilfield base areas like Sattahip, Lam Chabang (sp?), Songkhla and other areas. Bangkok isn't as promising for newly minted employees without significant experience.

Dress nicely, introduce yourself to the guys sitting in the western restaurants after hours and strike up a conversation. Don't try to keep up with them beer for beer- you'll generally lose- and fail their first test at the same time.. And don't get discouraged by any individual's response because there's nice ones and not so nice ones. If that doesn't work, burn some more shoe leather and drop CV's by the hundreds of workshops and warehouses in the oilfield areas.

There will be some hoops to jump through to get a work permit with your credentials, but many of the companies have excellent relationships with folks that can make that happen.

Good luck!

As someone who actually does work O&G in Thailand and has done so for many years.

1. Oil and Gas in Thailand is in the deep throws of nationalisation....Expats less and less by the year...one that are left are in senior positions

2. Do not go marching around "oilfield base" areas...as you will not get in the gate of most places

3. Dont be introducing yourself to "western guys" in restaurants and start handing CV's over....Nothing worse than a farang doing this, and actually believing they should be given a job, just because they have a white skin and speak "English" but have absolutely no skills or experience to offer

4. Why do you need 100's of CV....there are most likely less than 50 workshops and warehouses servicing the whole of the gulf.

5. <deleted> are you taling about not trying to keep up with people beer for beer....talking Bl**dy rubbish

In conclusion, A farang with no experience or skills getting a break in Thai O&G these days.....would say the OP would have 2 chances...

My advice...go and teach English

Good luck!

As someone who actually does work O&G in Thailand and has done so for many years.

1. Oil and Gas in Thailand is in the deep throws of nationalisation....Expats less and less by the year...one that are left are in senior positions

2. Do not go marching around "oilfield base" areas...as you will not get in the gate of most places

3. Dont be introducing yourself to "western guys" in restaurants and start handing CV's over....Nothing worse than a farang doing this, and actually believing they should be given a job, just because they have a white skin and speak "English" but have absolutely no skills or experience to offer

4. Why do you need 100's of CV....there are most likely less than 50 workshops and warehouses servicing the whole of the gulf.

5. <deleted> are you taling about not trying to keep up with people beer for beer....talking Bl**dy rubbish

In conclusion, A farang with no experience or skills getting a break in Thai O&G these days.....would say the OP would have 2 chances...

My advice...go and teach English

I have to agree with Soutpeel.

2 chances, slim and none.

If you do not have several years experience in the oilffield back home, you can forget any international position. Most of the companies who hire expats here and elsewhere, are service companies. You have to have worked for them in the past or have verifiable experience with a like company. If the company is not a service company, then it probably supplies manpower under contract. I can guarantee that this type company will not take "newbies' sight unseen. The companies working in Thailand for example, are not based here. That does not mean they don't have an office here, but they are from another country. They will source the positions from their respective country or through a "headhunter", or similar clearinghouse where people post their resume/cv. If your really interested go to rigzone.com or worldwideworker.com. Every position has to have experience. A lot, but not all oilfield jobs are filled by word of mouth. If you don't have expience and know somebody on that project, or another that the company has an interest in, you slightly less than zero chance of landing a job, 0.0001%. The OIL companies will not even give you the time of day if you do not have a college degree now. If at all possible, go back to school. It will pay off in the longrun. Sorry if this is not what you want to hear, but it is realistic.

Bear in mind that any decent school in Thailand, and the rest of Asia for that matter, will only hire teachers who have a university degree (minimum Bachelors degree in any subject, preferably Education) and a 120 hour, face-to-face TESOL/CELTA/etc. certificate. There are schools offering teaching jobs that don't ask for or require a university degree, but those schools are few and far between and pay abysmal salaries. If I remember correctly, only teachers with university degrees are eligible for a work permit. You could increase your monthly income with private students - but it takes time and contacts to build up a private student base.

I moved here over 2 years ago, but only after I had saved a few million Baht did I feel safe moving here as I knew I had enough money to tide me over for a year or two and but a ticket back home if things didn't work out. Fortunately for me, things worked out just fine. With my full-time (i.e. 40 hours/week) teaching job and my 6 hours per week of privates I make Baht 79,000 per month. I had no teaching experience before that, but I did have a degree, years of work experience and letters of recommendation from previous employers.

It is possible, but it doesn't sound to me like you're going to have it easy here without a degree or some special, sought after skill. If you do decide to move here, just remember that there is a huge difference between being here on holidays and living here. You'll have do adapt yourself (as you would have to do no matter what country you move to), find friends, etc.

Good luck either way.

Just pop over here and within a a fortnight you will be gainfully employed at a government school or language school. You will need a degree if you want to work at ISB, St. Andrews, Harrows etc.

You do not even need a degree to get the work permit. I know one farang working at a well known Thai uni teaching business that was an electrician in the Uk and never set foot at a uni until his employment here in Thailand. He even has a work permit. I knew another fellow that was a seasonal fruit picker in OZ that did not graduate high school. He was working at a school and was the favorite of the students, parents teachers and head master.They hated this one loud American and another stuffy old British gent. They loved this pony tailed sporting hippie (former apple picker) because he made the class fun and the kids enjoyed learning.

• Like 1

Become a dysfunctional English "teacher" while running a website about sex tourism with pages of banner ads for ladyboy escorts but disclaiming you have any interest in that business yourself.

Oops that has already been done, maybe Sickman will sell you his site before he goes totally off the rails. He seems to only want 3 - 4 million baht for it.

ROTFL.

Become a dysfunctional English "teacher" while running a website about sex tourism with pages of banner ads for ladyboy escorts but disclaiming you have any interest in that business yourself.

Oops that has already been done, maybe Sickman will sell you his site before he goes totally off the rails. He seems to only want 3 - 4 million baht for it.

ROTFL.

Now, now. Do not let jealous,y eat you alive! coffee1.gif

Just pop over here and within a a fortnight you will be gainfully employed at a government school or language school. You will need a degree if you want to work at ISB, St. Andrews, Harrows etc.

You do not even need a degree to get the work permit. I know one farang working at a well known Thai uni teaching business that was an electrician in the Uk and never set foot at a uni until his employment here in Thailand. He even has a work permit. I knew another fellow that was a seasonal fruit picker in OZ that did not graduate high school. He was working at a school and was the favorite of the students, parents teachers and head master.They hated this one loud American and another stuffy old British gent. They loved this pony tailed sporting hippie (former apple picker) because he made the class fun and the kids enjoyed learning.

One DOES need a degree from a university or college if one wants to work here legally (i.e. with a work permit). Your friends either 1) bought their degrees down on Khaosan Road or 2) told you a load of crock. Either way, yes the OP needs a degree if he wants to get a work permit and work here teaching English.