"Don'T Even Walk Past Your Wife'S Business"

A very common response in the business forum is that if a farang decides to let his wife run a business to avoid the legal hoops that farang must jump through in order to legally run a business and recieve a work permit, that he must never even step foot into the business or a Thai government official will jump out from behind a rock and catch him, which will lead to dire consequences.

This response is so common that I have to wonder whether or not it is an old wive's tale. I cannot recall any topics of posts by people who have said "I personally got in trouble walking by/or stepping foot into my wife's business", yet every topic warns of the dire consequences.

Considering the ineptitude of Thai governmnet, it would seem quite unlikely to me that one would get in trouble over a business in their wife's name. Which Thai government agency patrols this territory? Personally, I see farang husbands all the time helping out in a business that is obviously their wife's.

True.

Various accounts of people who've fallen foul of the local 'opposition' and have been fingered by them as having no WP. One 'bar owner' was caught supplying the 'bin' to a punter and done for it.

I was 'fingered' by jealous neighbours 8 years ago in a small village as a 'farang running a shop'. Luckily managed to get my father in law to say it was his shop. All he had to do was to pay some tax! 50 baht for the year, the framing of the certificate cost 200 baht !!

• Like 1

It is really a bunch of nonsense. I know scores of husband (farang) and wife (Thai) owned small businesses where nobody has ever been "done" by the cops.

No one cares and the average Thai does not even know a farang has to have a WP and this includes many officials. The problems comes into play when you are running a large company with your wife or in a tourist area. The the alarm is sounded....and even then it is few and far between.

It is really a bunch of nonsense. I know scores of husband (farang) and wife (Thai) owned small businesses where nobody has ever been "done" by the cops.

No one cares and the average Thai does not even know a farang has to have a WP and this includes many officials. The problems comes into play when you are running a large company with your wife or in a tourist area. The the alarm is sounded....and even then it is few and far between.

As I said, I was running a shop in a very small village with no farangs apart fro me at the time and they pounced on me, why?

True the average Thai may not know about WP's but they don't like seeing farangs doing better than themselves. So they call the BIB, and generally all they think about is tax as they very rarely know the WP law themselves in the villages.

In tourist areas they DO know and get a large envelope from the farang 'owner'.

Edited by CHANGOVER

Most farangs have no problems regarding wives being the 'front' for the business. In Bangkok i seriously doubt if police even know what a WP or tourist visa is. Ive worked for years in various businesses. Ive even served alcohol and taken bins from off duty police believe it or not. I wouldnt try it these days though.

Tourist areas are different ,of course so you need to be more prudent,.

Just remember that if youre good at what you do jealous farang competitors and Thais will report you if they think you may not have a WP.

I would never run a business in pattaya or phuket.

its definitely a "big town" problem,once you get into the smallish towns i have been served coffee by a falang woman,had food cooked and served by falang man and even at a resort i was visiting, i was talking to british builders constructing salas and obviously running a large crew of thai/burmese workers,i honestly think the locals either don't know the rules or really don't care.

As I said, I was running a shop in a very small village with no farangs apart fro me at the time and they pounced on me, why?

True the average Thai may not know about WP's but they don't like seeing farangs doing better than themselves. So they call the BIB, and generally all they think about is tax as they very rarely know the WP law themselves in the villages.

In tourist areas they DO know and get a large envelope from the farang 'owner'.

Completely disagree with your comments - i have lived and worked here for 31 years and have held a WP all that time. I have had businesses in Pattaya (not a bar business) and never been asked for one baht more than the cost of the document. I have also had businesses up-country (I still have one) and never had any trouble from Thai people or authorities. The whole point is that in 31 years (and apart from opening a bank account or registering a car) NO one has ever asked to see my WP or visa and That includes Thai authorities using my business and getting pulled over in my car for speeding.

Edited by BrianCR
  • Like 1

I suppose this depends where you are in Thailand, local interpretations apply. When my lady goes to the loo what I am to do? The response seesm to be "help you wife!" Thats what husbands do. I can understand in big tourist areas that it could be a different picture and the opportunity to boost incomes might exist but out in ordinary Thailand I think it is probably seen as trying to integrate into the community and local life, which seems to be approved of, so long as its low key and not affecting anybody else's takings to much.