Rented Motorbike Stolen

jltreed

I use a large cable and padlock for all motorbike security parking problems. I like so many others have learned the hard way. Lock it up at all times, it can disappear right out from under your nose.

While using this lock on my bike, one night they tried to saw through the cable and only left scratches. Another time a shop tried to take possion without giving back deposit.

I pack this lock in my travel bag when I go out of town and use on rental bikes. Good Luck

Edited by threelegcowboy

Umm ... to get a new passport you would have to make a Thai police report of its loss for the Embassy.

Since that would be a false declaration you would have broken yet another law.

y

es i was just thinking the same thing

It could be considered stolen, since it was taken illegally .

Umm ... to get a new passport you would have to make a Thai police report of its loss for the Embassy.

y

It could be considered stolen, since it was taken illegally .

yeah thats a good point.Messy though very messy.

I don't really understand all those unlucky people with wires and chains and padlocks and yet they still manage find someone trying to steal their bike. I've had a Honda Airblade for over 5 years now, I park it everywhere, just with the steering lock, I close that little security plate, not sure if that makes any difference, but never chain lock it. Has never been stolen, not even attempted. I guess some people are just more unlucky than others.

I don't really understand all those unlucky people with wires and chains and padlocks and yet they still manage find someone trying to steal their bike. I've had a Honda Airblade for over 5 years now, I park it everywhere, just with the steering lock, I close that little security plate, not sure if that makes any difference, but never chain lock it. Has never been stolen, not even attempted. I guess some people are just more unlucky than others.

could it be the rental shop warned them of thefts and gave them the locking devices?

Pay the money....you didnt take enough care of somebody elses property.....turn the tables, you would want your money

Unless the bike was brand new, it's probably not worth much over 20K. Those rental bikes get a hammering and used bikes of the same vintage and model should be easily available for half the cost of a new one.

You like tempting fate? Your bike will probably now be stolen within the month. I've also been lucky, but I wouldn't gloat about it.

Let's not forget that these rentals have also been scammed many times. I am not saying this in the OP's case but many people come here and run out of money so someone who has rented a bike could also sell it to get cash then tell the rental company that it was stolen. I would follow my advice in my previous post here if you want it to go smooth.

The only way out of a sticky situation here in Thailand is to either go the legal route (police, lawyers etc.) or PAY your way out. If you plan on running away don't plan on ever coming back without being arrested at the airport. Anyways you can't leave without your passport and your embassy won't issue you a new one without a police report, emergency PP or not.

You like tempting fate? Your bike will probably now be stolen within the month. I've also been lucky, but I wouldn't gloat about it.

I don't believe in fairy tales either. I wasn't gloating btw, just pointing out the fact that it's odd like some people seem to have one unfortunate encounter after another in Pattaya, and others of us live here for years without problems. Maybe Pattaya is not the problem?

Edited by WyattEarp

Trust is really important here. I always use the same businesses that have been good to me. Also, I avoid the tourist zones. Seems to work and I seldom encounter problems in the years I've stayed here.

Also there has been threads here where many of us have reccomended places to rent motorcycles from. The reason we posted those is because most of us have had good experiences with the places.

I hate to judge but in my opinion the OP screwed up and now has to pay the price or he will have problems. Especially if he ever wants to come back here. Thai Rak Thai.

I hate to judge but in my opinion the OP screwed up and now has to pay the price or he will have problems. Especially if he ever wants to come back here. Thai Rak Thai.

Whether justified or not, I don't believe coming back is going to be a problem. Bumping into the same people he ran away from will be a major problem if he returns.

Whether justified or not, I don't believe coming back is going to be a problem. Bumping into the same people he ran away from will be a major problem if he returns.

This ALL depends on if he has been formally charged by the plaintiff yet or not. If yes then a warrant will be issued and his passport at Immigration will show that trust me. I have already said 2 times now that he already has problems, the police has his passport and his embassy will not issue a new or emergency one without a police report. If he follows my previous advice and gets ahold of the Lawyer I mentioned he will get it back.

It seems he was already in the station with the plaintiff and if he signed any papers that he didn't know what he was signing because it's all in Thai then he could already very well have been charged. They are not just going to let him go and pay nothing and open the doors for any farang to rent a bike then sell it and then claim it was stolen.

There is also Thai justice if they know where he is staying but taking off with no passport could hurt him.

This ALL depends on if he has been formally charged by the plaintiff yet or not. If yes then a warrant will be issued and his passport at Immigration will show that trust me. I have already said 2 times now that he already has problems, the police has his passport and his embassy will not issue a new or emergency one without a police report. If he follows my previous advice and gets ahold of the Lawyer I mentioned he will get it back.

It seems he was already in the station with the plaintiff and if he signed any papers that he didn't know what he was signing because it's all in Thai then he could already very well have been charged. They are not just going to let him go and pay nothing and open the doors for any farang to rent a bike then sell it and then claim it was stolen.

There is also Thai justice if they know where he is staying but taking off with no passport could hurt him.

What has this got to do with being charged for a criminal offence? His rental bike was stolen. This is not a police matter - it's a civil matter between the rental company and the OP.

• Like 1

y

what laws has he broken already? the police allowed a normal thai citezen to take a passport off him, as i understand it the police should not allow this. so far he has done nothing wrong but has been a victem twice.

Is it not a civil offence anyway. the police all duck for cover when this happens with jet ski's so why they get involved with a bike. Cant see whats wrong with OP reporting it as stolen.

Because he will have made a false statement...

Also presume in presenting the untrue police report to the British Embassy as required to get a replacement or an emergency travel document may well leave him open to prosecution in the UK also.

This story seems so close to the details of another poster last year who lost several passports, the first in similar circumstances.

refeering to petercool commment broke yet another law, i just wanted to know as to yet what laws he has broken." yet another" seems to imply he has already done some thing wrong.

I had a friend with a hotel. A guest ran out without paying.

I asked if they could report him and have him stopped at Immigration. No, they told me.

The chances of this being a scam by an unscrupulous motorbike rental co. are very high and anyone that has been following the jet ski scam thread knows the police are in on it.

Many many stories on the web of bike rental companies stealing their own equipment from customers.

I would not recommend do a runner on this one if you want to come back. Unlike running on a hotel bill unless it was a huge bill the owner would probably not be bothered. The jet ski guys only seem to have soi 9 in their pocket and everyone else knows its a scam.

A couple of years ago when I was getting my Non-b extended in jomtien, the officer made some copies for me for the next years forms. Since it was immigrations copier they were using the back side of papers that had internal documents on the back side. When I got back and read what was on them it was quite shocking, mostly about revoking visas and some other serious things. After seeing that it seems that it does not take much to cause a major problem for someone if they have your passport details with just cause.

Edited by marinediscoking
  • Like 1

I would not recommend do a runner on this one if you want to come back. Unlike running on a hotel bill unless it was a huge bill the owner would probably not be bothered. The jet ski guys only seem to have soi 9 in their pocket and everyone else knows its a scam.

A couple of years ago when I was getting my Non-b extended in jomtien, the officer made some copies for me for the next years forms. Since it was immigrations copier they were using the back side of papers that had internal documents on the back side. When I got back and read what was on them it was quite shocking, mostly about revoking visas and some other serious things. After seeing that it seems that it does not take much to cause a major problem for someone if they have your passport details with just cause.

Not surprising.

sorry if I missed it in the thread

where was the bike stolen from ??

as another poster has indicated - the police have no right to hold your passport

have you left already ?

tell us the name and location of the rental company plus the bike details and maybe someone will spot it for you - doubt it would make a difference as with other scams here - you loose end of

What has this got to do with being charged for a criminal offence? His rental bike was stolen. This is not a police matter - it's a civil matter between the rental company and the OP.

I'm sorry to tell you that criminal law or civil law ALL has to be reported to the police first. After reports are taken from both parties THEN and ONLY then do the police say wether it is civil or criminal. It is then handed over to the Prosecutor and he/she decides if it will even go into court or not. Unless it is VERY petty normal it will proceed to court because of the money involved for all.

It seems to me that the renter is saying that the OP didn't return the bike so he wants to charge him in order to recoup some money lost. If the police think thet the farang just sold the bike and reported it missing or stolen then it becomes a criminal matter. Thats where his problems begin.

Anyways it seems like the OP has lost interest in his own topic so som nam na.