What Is An Alternative To Pseudoephedrine?

tfc

The article you've posted above appears to be a day before, and prior to, the subsequent news yesterday about the bans being revoked... This is getting a bit confusing... but I think they're now going the other way.

http://www.thaivisa....iption-revoked/

Posted Yesterday, 06:51

COLD PILLS

Govt ban on prescription revoked

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- State and private hospitals will be allowed to prescribe pseudoephedrine-based medication after Dr Paijit Warachit, permanent secretary of the Public Health Ministry, signed a directive revoking the ban yesterday.

I think the revocation is limited. You will still need a doctor's prescription to get it.

Yup, that appears to be the case... but at least a cold or sinus sufferer can still now obtain the medicine thru the pharmacy at a hospital or medical clinic.

What really could use some clarification now is what happens with the issue of the draconian possession penalties spelled out in one of the two Public Health directives listed above.

Did those get totally voided too as part of the revision? Presumably, a person can't be jailed/prosecuted for possession of a drug that a doctor has legally prescribed...

But what about someone, like many here, who may have obtained the drug outside Thailand or brought it into Thailand without a doctor's prescription?

Or what about people who already had a stock of the drug at home, because they used it periodically, prior to all the recent restrictions and thus before the prescription requirement went into effect? Would they face an illegal possession charge if that possession ever surfaced?

It wasn't too long ago, and by some reports it's still the case, that you could walk into a pharmacy in BKK, and presumably elsewhere, and simply buy some variety of pseudoephedrine containing medicine without any prescription... just OTC.

Even BEFORE these recent draconian regulations went into effect, it was technically illegal to be caught with more than 60 actifed tablets.

Sounds totally reasonable. No reasonable person needs 60 tablets. I only buy 10 at a time (a box) and they usually expire before the box is finished. It's such a powerful drug (at least to my body) that I try to only use them when I have a bad cold.