Thai Govt Ban On Prescription Revoked

webfact

COLD PILLS

Govt ban on prescription revoked

THE NATION

30179835-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- State and private hospitals will be allowed to prescribe pseudoephedrine-based medication after Dr Paijit Warachit, permanent secretary of the Public Health Ministry, signed a directive revoking the ban yesterday.

However, Paijit said every prescription should include relevant details such as the number of tablets, the patient's and doctor's names, and the hospital where the medication is stored or dispensed from. At present, state hospitals have a total of 20 million pseudoephedrine tables in storage.

He also said all hospitals needed first to use up the tablets in their inventory before ordering new supplies. The ministry has set up a registration system at certain state hospitals where tablets have allegedly gone missing, while the Food and Drugs Administration and Department of Health Service Support are expected to do the same with private hospitals and clinics, he said.

The Public Health Ministry earlier issued a directive advising hospitals and clinics that did not wish to store pseudoephedrine-based pills to return them to the manufacturer. However, those who choose to include these tablets in their inventory need to register the number as well as the potency of the medication with the FDA. Violators will be subject to five years in prison and/or a fine of up to Bt100,000.

A senior pharmacist at Udon Thani General Hospital, who is suspected of having stolen more than 7.2 million tablets over the past three years and has been on the run since the pseudoephedrine scandal surfaced, was dishonourably discharged yesterday.

Somchai sae-Khwo's pharmacy has been closed and put up for sale. His expulsion is initially based on his being absent for 15 days without permission before other actions can be taken against him, said Udon Thani Governor Kanphet Chuangrangsee, who signed the expulsion order.

Meanwhile, the House of Representatives panel on public health will release the list of government and private hospitals where pseudoephedrine-based tablets have gone missing and summon those involved to testify next week, panel member Democrat MP Witthaya Kaewparadai said.

"There are 35 million pseudoephedrine tablets imported annually and the panel's report will provide details about the hospitals where the tablets went missing," he said yesterday.

Witthaya, who was a public health minister during the Democrat-led government, also called for ministry officials to be fair in their scrutiny, adding that the director of Kamalasai Hospital in Kalasin was transferred away during the probe while the director of Udon Thani General Hospital got to stay on.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-12

Is this a case of a civil servant telling the government to go and stick it? Bizarre

No. it is a case of a government official acting within his capacity once appropriate control measures were implemented.

The drug is of use to several thousand patients and an outright ban inconvenienced those patients.

Note that the countries providing the drugs (e.g China) also have to comply with their required surveillance obligations.

"Violators will be subject to five years in prison and/or a fine of up to Bt100,000."

Gee, I think if I were in charge of a government pharmacy, I'd opt to return the stuff to the manufacturer rather tnan risk five years in the can. Unless I had a hand-chosen staff of trusted people working with me.

Is this a case of a civil servant telling the government to go and stick it? Bizarre

No. it is a case of a government official acting within his capacity once appropriate control measures were implemented.

The drug is of use to several thousand patients and an outright ban inconvenienced those patients.

Note that the countries providing the drugs (e.g China) also have to comply with their required surveillance obligations.

All well and good that it is allowed, since as you say, if you have a cold it is a good product. However, I don't quite grasp the situation whereby a "permenant secretary" revokes a government ban.

Of course, the stranger thing might be that a pharmacy DIDN'T have to keep stock records of this (and other stuff). Surely all medication should already be registered with the FDA?

Edited by Thai at Heart

I suspect Dr. Paijit is in it, hence he sign the revoke.

Maybe the med company pay his big money. Just maybe.

He previously served in the Abhisit administration and was cleared of wrongdoing in the Thai Khemkhaeng medical stimulus scheme. As you may recall, former public health minister Witthaya Kaewparadai in the Abhisit led Democrat government had the authority to stop the irregular procurements under the Thai Khemkhaeng stimulus package, but Paijit did not - and he was found not guilty of violating discipline. There was an attempt to smear the doctor, just as you are doing now.

Allow me to draw your attention to one of the Abhisit corruption scandals;

'Guilty' of negligence

By Piyanart Srivalo

Pongphon Sarnsamak

The Nation

Published on December 29, 2009

Panel recommends that Public Health Minister Witthaya, Deputy Minister Manit should face disciplinary action over purchase orders for overpriced medical equipment and supplies Public Health Minister Witthaya Kaewparadai and Deputy Minister Manit Nop-amornbodi should face strong disciplinary measures, due to the ministry's dubious procurement plans worth Bt86 billion, a fact-finding body recommended yesterday. Prime Minister Abhisit was informed of the investigation's results during a meeting with panel chairman Dr Banlu Siripanich and leading member Pratin Santiprapop.Besides Witthaya and Manit, the minister's secretary, Siriwan Prassajaksattru, and adviser, Dr Krissada Manoonwonge, along with other senior health officials were named in the report as being negligent in implementing the ministry's massive procurement plan

THAI KHEMKHAENG SCANDAL

Public health minister resigns

By The Nation

Public Health Minister Witthaya Kaewparadai on Tuesday announced his intention to quit as a show of responsibility for lapse of duty in supervising the Thai Khemkaeng project.Witthaya said he would tender his resignation effective as of Wednesday.

He made the decision after the Banlu Siripanit report singled him out for poor supervision triggering suspected irregularities related to the Bt86 billion stimulus budget.

I suspect Dr. Paijit is in it, hence he sign the revoke.

Maybe the med company pay his big money. Just maybe.

He previously served in the Abhisit administration and was cleared of wrongdoing in the Thai Khemkhaeng medical stimulus scheme. As you may recall, former public health minister Witthaya Kaewparadai in the Abhisit led Democrat government had the authority to stop the irregular procurements under the Thai Khemkhaeng stimulus package, but Paijit did not - and he was found not guilty of violating discipline. There was an attempt to smear the doctor, just as you are doing now.

Allow me to draw your attention to one of the Abhisit corruption scandals;

'Guilty' of negligence

By Piyanart Srivalo

Pongphon Sarnsamak

The Nation

Published on December 29, 2009

Panel recommends that Public Health Minister Witthaya, Deputy Minister Manit should face disciplinary action over purchase orders for overpriced medical equipment and supplies Public Health Minister Witthaya Kaewparadai and Deputy Minister Manit Nop-amornbodi should face strong disciplinary measures, due to the ministry's dubious procurement plans worth Bt86 billion, a fact-finding body recommended yesterday. Prime Minister Abhisit was informed of the investigation's results during a meeting with panel chairman Dr Banlu Siripanich and leading member Pratin Santiprapop.Besides Witthaya and Manit, the minister's secretary, Siriwan Prassajaksattru, and adviser, Dr Krissada Manoonwonge, along with other senior health officials were named in the report as being negligent in implementing the ministry's massive procurement plan

THAI KHEMKHAENG SCANDAL

Public health minister resigns

By The Nation

Public Health Minister Witthaya Kaewparadai on Tuesday announced his intention to quit as a show of responsibility for lapse of duty in supervising the Thai Khemkaeng project.Witthaya said he would tender his resignation effective as of Wednesday.

He made the decision after the Banlu Siripanit report singled him out for poor supervision triggering suspected irregularities related to the Bt86 billion stimulus budget.

When there is smoke, there is fire.

Millions of allergy sufferers around the world have benefitted from this type of medications for many years. There aren't any good substitutes. In their original form, these tablets are fairly useless for recreational purposes. To convert them into illegitimate drugs takes serious intent and effort.

To make them inaccessible, because the supply channels are run by a few greedy and corrupt people, is yet another example of pooring out the baby with the bathwater.

Yes, kneejerk reactions are a hallmark of poor management and lack of understanding of the problem and how to fix it.

Around the world, it is simply a case of proper control and registration of any drugs that may be seen as dangerous, so its good to see that someone here is thinking properly, and realises that banning medication that helps millions of cold and allergy sufferers every year is not appropriate.

It seems they are checking the bathwater filters to see if they have any babies in them... happy.png

Edited by Greer
  • Like 1

Millions of allergy sufferers around the world have benefitted from this type of medications for many years. There aren't any good substitutes. In their original form, these tablets are fairly useless for recreational purposes. To convert them into illegitimate drugs takes serious intent and effort.

To make them inaccessible, because the supply channels are run by a few greedy and corrupt people, is yet another example of pooring out the baby with the bathwater.

And morphine is also a good drug used widely in hospital, we might as well legalize it.

Or the pharmaceutical company has refused return of the drug for the reason of the inability of control.

At present, state hospitals have a total of 20 million pseudoephedrine tables in storage.

Those are good for maximizing touch-typists writing-speed.

Not really. It is a vaso constrictor.

Please check the actual words which I quoted. Note the words "pseudoephedrine tables". It just seemed funny to me, tables being made out of amphetamine & all these bug-eyed secretaires typing away with blurred hands.

Less funny now that I've had to explain it to you but it seemed funny to me anyway.

More funny than this country's drug stance which is basically : put high doses of refined cane sugar (addictive corrosive/toxic drug) into almost every single food & drink in the supermarket & the restaurant, then get all lock-down defensive when people need actual legitimate medicines for their illnesses.

Edited by Yunla

Revoking the ban is the right thing.

It is insane to instigate a national ban since the item can be used to create something illegal. If that is the criteria then imagine what we would be left with...

• Like 1

You're understating matters quite a bit... The drug is one of the most effective medicines out there for those suffering from sinus problems, an often chronic condition. Sinus problems are one of the largest health problems in terms of treatment cost, lost productivity and such because of the vast numbers of people who suffer some level of the condition.

And "suffering" is the right word... not inconvenienced.

The primary alternative medicine -- phenylephrine -- that the government in the U.S. has forced doctors and pharmacies to start providing isn't nearly as effective, or effective at all, depending on whom you believe.

Pseudoephedrine used to be available OTC in the U.S., and has continued to be available OTC here in Thailand, at least until this latest fuss over stolen drugs. Nowhere in the OP article here, by the way, does it indicate that they're going to continue to allow OTC access to the drug direct from pharmacies.

The fact that there may be drug thieves in the Thai hospital industry is no reason to deny patients access to a medically appropriate medication for legitimate use conditions.

Punish the thieves and the hospital authorities who have failed to do their jobs and follow the law and regulations -- not the patients who have a legitimate medical need for a medically effective drug.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Agreed.

And morphine is also a good drug used widely in hospital, we might as well legalize it.

No Can!

Drug sellers would loose money if narcotics would be legalized.....

So will I now be able once again to buy it at my local pharmacy or will I have to go to a hospital to get some. I need it for both chronic sinusitis and blocked Eustachian tubes.

Further if I fetch a supply back from England is this now legal or am I drug running. Would a British medical certificate cover me?

• Like 1

So will I now be able once again to buy it at my local pharmacy or will I have to go to a hospital to get some. I need it for both chronic sinusitis and blocked Eustachian tubes.

Further if I fetch a supply back from England is this now legal or am I drug running. Would a British medical certificate cover me?

If it a criminal offence to possess more than 5gm in Thailand I don't think a foreign medical certificate would legalize that. A foreign medical certificate would not legalize possess of marijuana by those who are legitimate medical marijuana users overseas.