Sam'S Mexican & American Grill

Gone

Had the opportunity to visit Sam's the other day and tried the burrito and enchilada.

Burrito was great, a fat stuffed burrito with a spicy salsa but the enchilada tasted a little sweet?

Prices are better than the other Mexican's I've been to in Pattaya but probably because of no additional side dishes such as rice and refried beans which are standard in other places.

Also single orders can be made, enchilada, taco etc. rather than a plate so you only need to order as much as you want.

Margarita wasn't as strong as at Sunrise or Mike's.

No ++ on the bill either.

As a dining experience prefer Sam's to Sunrise but not over Mike's.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have now eaten at the big 3. Just ate at Sam's. Let me start by saying, I will be going back again.

It actually took me 3 times to find it. They moved a while back and pretty much every place online has the old location accross from the other taco place by the arch. I looked at Sam's website and it has been updated and it was easy to find in jomtien complex right off of Thapraya (it didn't move very far). samsmexican dot com.

Having said that, here was my first experience....

So I sit down and after a minute they guy comes with a menu and waits, as is normal in Thailand. I ask him about the Carne Asada (steak) burrito. Does it have rice? He says no. Does it have beens? He says no. What does it have? He says beef, tomtato and lettuce. Ok, I order that and have them add cheese inside. First, IMHO that is a taco, not a burrito. Taco's can have a soft shell and either be the small tortilias or a larger tortillia to wrap the taco. Taco's have meat, lettuce and tomato and usually cheese. Burritos have meat, rice, beans and no tomatos. Or at least in general. So this was a taco to me and it is exactly what I wanted. The burrito came out by itself with no sides and with the salsa it it the spot.

The table to my left was an old guy that loved his food but then the bill came and he was confused. He then went up and looked at the poster and tried to explain to the waiter that is what he ordered but obviously the bill was different. I don't think it got resolved and they guy paid and left.

The other table had two northern eurpean guys and their thai girlfriends (the girls looked like normal classy girls and not ones for hire). They had ordered the appetizer sampler. One man was upset because he had this before and one of the items or the salsa that comes with it wasn't good before. He stated he had asked the waiter if it came with the unwanted items and the waiter said no that it had been changed. Well, it hadn't. The waiter wipped up some salsa and that seemed to be the issue. So then the dishes came out one at a time. The problem was that two people ordered different enchaladas but the waiter gave didn't remember who got what and then didn't know which was the cheese enchalada and what was not. It was taking so long to explain that not al enchaladas were the same and him going back and forth from the kitchen, that they just started eating whatever. As a final insult, one of the girls had orded I think a soft taco and after just about everyone had finished their food (including me and I ordered way after them), one man asked where his girls' food was. Seems the kitchen forgot to make it.

so I finish my tastey burrito-taco and look at the waiter sitting down doing something. From the amount of concentration on what was in front of him I think he was doing the 4th quarter taxes for a major international company. After about 6 minutes he goes to the bathroom, by this time I stopped waiting for him to look up and see if any customers wanted anything and put a 1000 baht note in my hand somewhat in the air. A couple minutes after getting back from the bathroom, he looked over, I singnaled check-bin and he came over with the bill promptly.

Again, I will definately be going back because the food was tastey, the prices ok, and the proportions were in-line or better than some others. It is also close to where I live.

The service was about what I expect here in Thailand and I think he was just having an off day with farang (demanding) customers. I am pretty easy going finally after years of practice. The location is great for me. The atmosphere as compared to Mikes... well, I like Mikes and their margarittas and take my friends there and they are always amazed that mexican food exists here. I tell them this is the Mexico of Asia, and they laugh. I am going to try the tacos next time at Sam's. It is easy to get to by baht bus or whatever transport, and seems to be a nice clean restaurant.

I think we all know you can't go wrong at Mikes (service, food, drinks) but Sam's is definately for me as well.

Edited by schnazzy

The "original" burritos which started in Northern Mexico had only meat stuffed into a LARGE FLOUR tortilla like a wrap. It is definitely a burrito and not a taco if it is all wrapped up and covering everything in large flour tortilla. The more popular burritos developed in the USA (California/Texas) have plenty of other stuff more than meat, typically at least also rice and beans, sometimes to the point of silliness and yes lettuce is common but the tomato would be in the form of chopped salsa . Good luck to Sams in their new location. I recall having burritos at Sams old location and they contained meat, rice, and beans inside. I think people have a very reasonable expectation ordering burritos anywhere in the world that a burrito will at least have meat, rice, and beans inside unless otherwise specified. Burritos are not a common food at all in most of Mexico, they are more of an international food now. If you order a pizza anywhere in the world, you correctly expect a base of crust, tomato, and cheese as a minimum unless something like no cheese pizza is specified on the menu.

Edited by Jingthing

BTW, I recall Sam's TOSTADAS being pretty good. I wonder if the new location has those.

Even though Sam's is in the same barrio as Sunrise I think it can compete as the food is a different stye, the prices are lower, and no plus plus.

Edited by Jingthing

BTW, I recall Sam's TOSTADAS being pretty good. I wonder if the new location has those.

Even though Sam's is in the same barrio as Sunrise I think it can compete as the food is a different stye, the prices are lower, and no plus plus.

Sunrise is ++...Gregis really moving up in the world!

Ate there yesterday and got the big plate for 199 and it came with a tostada.

Meal was good, price was fair. Will return.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

Edited by Jayman

(synopsis.... it get wayyy better at sams)

I hope people realise that my review was exact and not missing anything. I could have glossed over funny thai issues that everyone has but I did not. The Taco/Burrito was pretty good so of course, I went the next day. This time I tried the Taco Salad (chicken). It was bigger than I had anticipated as I have seem pictures of taco salads at other mexican places in pattaya and I wasnt impressed enough to order. So I order the taco salad and it was great. crust/shell bowl was imho perfect. I prefer shredded lettuce and this came with salad cut type lettuce which is always how I have had this type of salad before. So, I was pretty hungry so I decided well lets try a beef crunchy taco. It came out fairly quickly and HOLY CRAP!

This was a most excellent beef crisp taco. It had more meat than I would excpect, shredded lettuce, tastey cheese (more later), and the pico tomato salsa-ish stuff. I couldn't believe you could get beef that tasted like this in pattaya. You'd think it wouldn't be that hard but many places struggle. The beef was hot/warm, juicy and had just the right amount of mexian spices.

So then I went back the next day. I had 2 beef/crisp and 1 soft/chicken. The soft taco flour shell was exactly how it should be, soft, warm, slightly maliable. There was a lot more chicken than I would have expected for a 60b item. I devoured the meal with some Tapia (spelling might be wrong) hot sauce.

So then I went back the next day. I had the same thing, the same tastes and the same quality. I asked the waiter to change it so it went beef, cheese, lettuce, tomato and to put 5 splashes of hot sauce on the meat before the cheese. WOW, ok this is just perfect for me and how I normally have tacos. It keeps the beef warm, the cheese gets soft and the lettuce stays cold. At this point I'd say this is close to a Taco Bell Supreme (without sourcream) as it is bigger than a standard taco. Except, (and I like taco bell but like other places better), that Sam's has much tastier meat and the cheese might actually be better as well.

There is something with the cheese. other places struggle with this. I saw in the back that there were huge blocks of what looked like imported cheese. Can't be cheap.

I didn't go today because they are closed on Sunday.

Final notes, no other Thai help issues to be seen and they were easily able to modify my request. As before the staff were friendly and they seemed to be at full staff now. I just don't see beating the taste of some of these items. I am going to try the chips and salsa next.

When I refer to things I am used to with mexican food, I am speaking of fast food mex-american like from little burrito shops in San Diego etc. Not authentic old style, non-tourist restaurants, in inland mexico.

I am hooked.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, what a diverse report, I have eaten in all 3 numerous times for different reasons, friends mainly wanting to go to their favorite place. I always prefer a.c. (cool and no pests). That said Sam's place on occasion HAS had roaches crawling on the tables. Mikes has great food, not cheap, but very hot place to dine.(no a.c.) Sunrise has the best deal between 2-7p.m. Tue & Fri. all you can eat tacos. Taste wise they all about the same, maybe Mikes pulling ahead slightly. I was informed that Sam's is closed, can't be sure because I have not checked myself. Good Luck!

Old Sams is closed. New Sams is a different format, at the entrance of Jomtien Complex, same soi as Poseidon Hotel.

Personally, I am not really happy with ANY of the Mexican choices in Pattaya.

I do agree the best VALUE in town is the taco "buffet" at Sunrise two days a week, that is, if you're very hungry.

Edited by Jingthing

Well, what a diverse report, I have eaten in all 3 numerous times for different reasons, friends mainly wanting to go to their favorite place. I always prefer a.c. (cool and no pests). That said Sam's place on occasion HAS had roaches crawling on the tables. Mikes has great food, not cheap, but very hot place to dine.(no a.c.) Sunrise has the best deal between 2-7p.m. Tue & Fri. all you can eat tacos. Taste wise they all about the same, maybe Mikes pulling ahead slightly. I was informed that Sam's is closed, can't be sure because I have not checked myself. Good Luck!

Excellent point about the all you can eat deal at Sunrise. Will have to check that out!!

I do agree the best VALUE in town is the taco "buffet" at Sunrise two days a week, that is, if you're very hungry.

It may be the best relative value for Mexican food but at some 325B (let's not forget the insidious ++ they charge) for a meal at unsociable hours that includes just one type of savoury dish, it isn't exactly cheap. You can get much better value at the Hilton for lunch for under 60B more and indeed I do.

I think that Mexican in Pattaya suffers from the same strange pricing that Indian does.

It may be the best relative value for Mexican food but at some 325B (let's not forget the insidious ++ they charge) for a meal at unsociable hours that includes just one type of savoury dish, it isn't exactly cheap. You can get much better value at the Hilton for lunch for under 60B more and indeed I do.

I think that Mexican in Pattaya suffers from the same strange pricing that Indian does.

I think the prices are acceptable but the actual flavor/quality of the Mexican food products on offer here are my main complaint. Overall, it just isn't nearly good enough and the argument that it can't be done in Thailand are proven wrong in Bangkok.

Also I'm not really comparing Sunrise Taco buffet to the Hilton. Apples and oranges. The Hilton doesn't have a taco buffet.

BTW, I am not tripping about "authenticity" in Mexican here. Its more about really tasty Mexican food that is identifiable as SOME KIND of very delicious Mexican food style, either from Mexico or the U.S. There are MANY kinds of Mexican food styles. I would be happy with a really good example of pretty much ANY of them, including Tex-Mex, my least favorite.

OK, the Baja fish tacos on soft corn tortillas at Sunrise aren't bad. Their other meats, such as the sugary carnitas, the faux al pastor, the "grilled" chicken or beef with no taste of the grill whatsoever just do not cut it.

Edited by Jingthing

I think the prices are acceptable but the actual flavor/quality of the Mexican food products on offer here are my main complaint. Overall, it just isn't nearly good enough and the argument that it can't be done in Thailand are proven wrong in Bangkok.

Even if the quality was what it should be, I would still think that 325B for such a limited choice is rather high.

Also I'm not really comparing Sunrise Taco buffet to the Hilton. Apples and oranges. The Hilton doesn't have a taco buffet.

Maybe not, but if the Hilton can produce a good quality and highly varied buffet for very little more then I dont see why a fairly mediocre "all-you-can-order" taco session should cost nearly as much. It's just plain overpriced as far as I'm concerned and I think they play on the mythical Pattaya pricing structure for "fancy" foreign foods like Indian, Chinese, Mexican and Pizza.

When the Hilton still did its "wraps" theme day (now discontinued, I believe), were not tacos included or was it burritos or something similar? I seem to remember seeing tacos. (I've never really paid much attention to the wraps day or the burger day, as they both seem rather boring to me and I prefer to go on one of the more interesting days.)

I also think Sunrise's prices are too high especially with plus plus BUT if they could deliver more wonderful food, I wouldn't.

BTW, I was there tonight. They were packed. Lots of Russians. So don't cry for them.

Edited by Jingthing

BTW, I was there tonight. They were packed. Lots of Russians. So don't cry for them.

Really? I walk past that place at least twice a day and on days when they aren't doing the all-you-can-eat I rarely see more than a couple of people in there. The straight menu prices are even more over the top than the all-in price, so they must be coining it.

The nearby 99B F&C place is regularly packed these days, mostly with Russians, many of whom seem to order more expensive things than the 99B dish.

Almost every table taken mostly with big groups. Tonight about 8 PM. I think you are totally exaggerating about their prices. Not saying they have cheap prices but it's very easy to get out of there under 300 baht drinking water anyway. Margaritas are going to cost anywhere.

I like a good deal as much as anybody, probably more so, but in the Thailand market Sunrise's prices aren't shocking. I just wish their food was better. I would go a lot more often if it was.

Another annoying thing about Sunrise. Have you checked out their "loyalty" program? You have to eat there TEN times in only THREE months to get a freebie. Compare to Pascals where you have two years to eat there eight times. I have never heard of a loyalty program anywhere with such a short window.

Wouldn't it be great to get a LA MONITA here?!? Note the prices are higher than Sunrise. coffee1.gif

http://www.lamonita.com/Menu/

Edited by Jingthing

Wouldn't it be great to get a LA MONITA here?!? Note the prices are higher than Sunrise. coffee1.gif

http://www.lamonita.com/Menu/

Don't want to hijack the thread, but have you actually eaten at La Monita...if so, how was it? The menu looks awesome and it's very convenient to the hotel I often stay at when visiting Bangkok so would be very easy to have a feed there the next time I'm there.

Not sure about Jingting, but when I lived in Bangkok I ate at La Monita each week. I like the food there, along with the stellar salsa bar. I would say that it is the #1 "Mexican food" place in Thailand, BUT, I prefer Tex-Mex (no, Taco Bell is not Tex-Mex). Contrary to what some people think, you can't find Tex-Mex in Thailand. And I think many visitors to Texas never really go to the Mom and Pop places that serve authentic Tex-Mex, so they think they have eaten it :) One thing that La Monita seems to be trying to do is introduce authentic Mexican spices in their dishes. No, it is not a cheap place to eat, but I do not know a cheap place for Mexican food in Thailand. One thing that always surprises me is the large number of Thais that eat at La Monitas.

• Like 1

Not sure about Jingting, but when I lived in Bangkok I ate at La Monita each week. I like the food there, along with the stellar salsa bar. I would say that it is the #1 "Mexican food" place in Thailand, BUT, I prefer Tex-Mex (no, Taco Bell is not Tex-Mex). Contrary to what some people think, you can't find Tex-Mex in Thailand. And I think many visitors to Texas never really go to the Mom and Pop places that serve authentic Tex-Mex, so they think they have eaten it smile.png One thing that La Monita seems to be trying to do is introduce authentic Mexican spices in their dishes. No, it is not a cheap place to eat, but I do not know a cheap place for Mexican food in Thailand. One thing that always surprises me is the large number of Thais that eat at La Monitas.

You can find very good Tex-Mex at the Beaver Bar in Ban Chang. A long time friend of mine from Brownsville owns the place.

• Like 1

Not sure about Jingting, but when I lived in Bangkok I ate at La Monita each week. I like the food there, along with the stellar salsa bar. I would say that it is the #1 "Mexican food" place in Thailand, BUT, I prefer Tex-Mex (no, Taco Bell is not Tex-Mex). Contrary to what some people think, you can't find Tex-Mex in Thailand. And I think many visitors to Texas never really go to the Mom and Pop places that serve authentic Tex-Mex, so they think they have eaten it smile.png One thing that La Monita seems to be trying to do is introduce authentic Mexican spices in their dishes. No, it is not a cheap place to eat, but I do not know a cheap place for Mexican food in Thailand. One thing that always surprises me is the large number of Thais that eat at La Monitas.

You can find very good Tex-Mex at the Beaver Bar in Ban Chang. A long time friend of mine from Brownsville owns the place.

That is interesting. Back at the reservation we used to make wide open beaver tacos :)

• Like 1

That is interesting. Back at the reservation we used to make wide open beaver tacos :)

I prefer chorizo...do they have chorizo tacos?

That is interesting. Back at the reservation we used to make wide open beaver tacos smile.png

I prefer chorizo...do they have chorizo tacos?

Ii doubt it. Chorizo is from Spain and Beaver Bar is Tex-Mex.

(Yes, I had to google it.)