Sam'S Mexican & American Grill

Gone

Ii doubt it. Chorizo is from Spain and Beaver Bar is Tex-Mex.

(Yes, I had to google it.)

Mexican's have their own very popular chorizo but I also doubt any Tex-Mex place in Thailand would have it or if they had it that it would really taste like Mexican chorizo. Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about Jingting, but when I lived in Bangkok I ate at La Monita each week. I like the food there, along with the stellar salsa bar. I would say that it is the #1 "Mexican food" place in Thailand, BUT, I prefer Tex-Mex (no, Taco Bell is not Tex-Mex). Contrary to what some people think, you can't find Tex-Mex in Thailand. And I think many visitors to Texas never really go to the Mom and Pop places that serve authentic Tex-Mex, so they think they have eaten it smile.png One thing that La Monita seems to be trying to do is introduce authentic Mexican spices in their dishes. No, it is not a cheap place to eat, but I do not know a cheap place for Mexican food in Thailand. One thing that always surprises me is the large number of Thais that eat at La Monitas.

You can find very good Tex-Mex at the Beaver Bar in Ban Chang. A long time friend of mine from Brownsville owns the place.

That is interesting. Back at the reservation we used to make wide open beaver tacos smile.png

Are you talking about a hot roll with honey?

BTW, I was there tonight. They were packed. Lots of Russians.

10PM last night: not a soul. Other nearby eating places had customers eating.

8PM last night: I saw 5 people inside as I went past.

1.20PM yesterday: not a soul. Maybe they were waiting nearby for the all-you-can-eat Taco thing to start.

Are you sure these hordes of people aren't following you from the full bahtbuses to the restaurants and back again?

Chorizo is widely used in Tex-Mex foods.

I just called the owner of Beaver Bar and he said he does not have chorizo tacos. I never heard of it but he knows what it is and doesn't want to put it on his menu.

Sorry for my ignorance but it wasn't the first time...nor will it be the last.

BTW, I was there tonight. They were packed. Lots of Russians.

10PM last night: not a soul. Other nearby eating places had customers eating.

8PM last night: I saw 5 people inside as I went past.

1.20PM yesterday: not a soul. Maybe they were waiting nearby for the all-you-can-eat Taco thing to start.

Are you sure these hordes of people aren't following you from the full bahtbuses to the restaurants and back again?

I was in there a couple of months back on a week night and it was quite busy most seats taken with more coming in as others left. This was from around 7.30 to 9 on a mid week night. Based on my observations they seem to be doing okay.

• Like 1

The last time I went to Sams it was closed. I am talking about the place very near Sunrise Tacos. Are all of you talking about the new location......if so, where is it from the Hanuman statue in Jomtien?

I added it to the pattaya restaurant map. It's in that same complex that sunrise is in. If you leave sunrise on a motorbike and drive towards pattaya, after you take a left at the hanuman then take the 2nd soi on the left into the complex and Sam's is on the left.

What's the deal with the ++ vat crap, does every place have to pay it and some just include it in the prices or some places dont pay it ??

well one + is 7% vat and by law everyone must pay this. Whether they include it in the prices or add it on to the final bill is up to them. The second + is usually a service charge of say 10%. This is kind of a forced gratuity and by law a certain % must go to the staff. Ethically, I think it all should go to the staff and yet some places will keep it all and give the staff nothing.

Personally, I stay away from places like Sunrise that charge the ++ to the final bill (17%) rather than adding the vat into the menu prices and allowing the customers to determine the tip left based on the quality of the service.

• Like 1

Personally, I stay away from places like Sunrise that charge the ++ to the final bill (17%) rather than adding the vat into the menu prices and allowing the customers to determine the tip left based on the quality of the service.

I dont mind them charging it; what annoys me is that they put "++" in order to make the advertised prices appear lower than they really are. They can be no other possible reason for them doing this and as far as I'm concerned it is just plain dishonest.

The advertised price should be the price you pay and that's all there is to it.

I dont mind them charging it; what annoys me is that they put "++" in order to make the advertised prices appear lower than they really are. They can be no other possible reason for them doing this and as far as I'm concerned it is just plain dishonest.

The advertised price should be the price you pay and that's all there is to it.

And in the case of VAT illegal.

I am pretty sure Fuji add a 10 percent service charge on their bills as well.

I dont tip if there is a service charge there apart from a few loose coins,

I dont think anyone likes the ++ but it is not enough to make me eat elsewhere if i like the food.

I like to see my waiter/waitress earn a nice living and I am a generous tipper for a job well done.

When I see a service charge, I assume the staff gets it and adjust how much change I leave on the table.

The service charge needs to go to the staff.

Turns me off if the owner keeps it.

I do agree the best VALUE in town is the taco "buffet" at Sunrise two days a week, that is, if you're very hungry.

It may be the best relative value for Mexican food but at some 325B (let's not forget the insidious ++ they charge) for a meal at unsociable hours that includes just one type of savoury dish, it isn't exactly cheap. You can get much better value at the Hilton for lunch for under 60B more and indeed I do.

I think that Mexican in Pattaya suffers from the same strange pricing that Indian does.

If there's only 1 of you and you want to make a pig of yourself then the all-you-can-eat is probably attractive.

The one time I headed there for the all-you-can-eat I arrived too early but on working out that for 2 of us at 325 Baht ++ was more than we normally pay for a normal filling meal for 2 at Mikes, including drinks we just went to Mike's.

I've been to Sam's once at the old location and enjoyed the meal and should try them again at the new location.

If there's only 1 of you and you want to make a pig of yourself then the all-you-can-eat is probably attractive.

Buffets may indeed suit people who want to eat a lot, but they also suit people like me who want to taste a little of many things rather than just ordering one or two large dishes which they may not like.

• 2 weeks later...

Buffets may indeed suit people who want to eat a lot, but they also suit people like me who want to taste a little of many things rather than just ordering one or two large dishes which they may not like.

I once went to the 300 baht all you can eat buffet in central, I nearly got sick after eating for two hours and making sure ai was getting my moneys worth of food.. I rather stay away from buffets, it takes such a toll to make sure you eat enough :(

I have to agree with this comment. Another reason I enjoy buffets is I do not have to worry about the waitress getting the order screwed up or bringing the main course first before the appetizer. (or even worse - desert!!) Most buffets are reasonably priced, you don't have to eat that much to "get your monies worth".whistling.gif I also like not waiting a long time for a meal - sorry in many instances I am not a fan of Thai service due to past experiences. That said many provide good service.

I once went to the 300 baht all you can eat buffet in central, I nearly got sick after eating for two hours and making sure ai was getting my moneys worth of food.. I rather stay away from buffets, it takes such a toll to make sure you eat enough sad.png

I just bring my Thai wife to the buffet and I never ever ever have to worry about not getting my monies worth.

All you can eat tacos doesn't sound much like a buffet to me.