Iphone Jailbreak

dddave

I dont know but my wife has her Iphone done in CM with a simple Gevey sim adapter installed

If you see these you can do it yourself...I know they sell them in BKK for sure

http://www.gevey.info/geveyultra.php

My wife got the one in the green package called Supreme..That was for Iphone4

http://gevey.us/

Edited by flying

This may help with the unlocking portion?

http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/06/att-will-unlock-your-off-contract-iphone-starting-on-april-8/

AT&T Will Unlock Your Off-Contract iPhone Starting On April 8

CHRIS VELAZCOFriday, April 6th, 201217 Comments

Ask (enough times) and ye shall receive. AT&T has kept the iPhone under lock and key since day one, but we’re hearing that a pretty dramatic policy shift will go into effect starting this Sunday. Once April 8 rolls around AT&T will unlock your iPhone should you so choose, at which point it’ll play nicely with a microSIM from any GSM carrier.

Of course, there are a few conditions you have to meet before AT&T will swoop in and unlock your iPhone. First and foremost, your device has to be completely out of contract and your account must be in good standing — that means no history of missed payments or disconnections. AT&T will also unlock your device if you’ve gotten sick of your contract and decided to shell out the early termination fee, or if you spent full price on it, rather than purchase it subsidized with a contract. Not bad AT&T, not bad at all.

Alright, fine, not everyone actually needs a globetrotting phone, isn’t it better to be safe than sorry? Just don’t expect every SIM card to grant you magical access to high speed data — T-Mobile USA’s pre-cut microSIMs will fit just fine for example, but you’ll be stuck cruising the web at EDGE speeds.

Long time AT&T customers may know that the company’s policy has been to unlock a user’s device after 90 days of continued service, but the iPhone has always been a special case. Then again, we’ve been hearing that Apple CEO Tim Cook has been getting more than his share of iPhone unlock requests lately (mostly because looping him in actually gets things done), so maybe Mr. Cook just didn’t feel like dealing with the masses any more.

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately for me, AT&T made their announcement concurrent with my return flight to Thailand. Timing is everything.

Based on a friends recommendation, I went to N&N Mobile (089 892 2922) in MBK, 4th fl. He unlocked and jailbroke my iphone for B400; took about 40 minutes. Everything seems to be working OK so I guess he is recommendable.

I must admit that I still don't quite understand the distinction between "un-locking" &" jailbreaking".

Jailbreaking means removing Apples locks from the device, so you may install un-sanctioned software, that is software not from the Apple app store. When the iphone first came out there was no app store and no apps, and independent hackers started to do their own thing- thats where this is coming from. These days there are some apps that do things Apple would never allow - for example make Skype and Facetime work over 3G, enable tethering even if your provider doesnt want it, and so on.

Once your iphone is jailbroken, you can install anything on it.

Unlocking is removing the SIM-lock from your phone. Not all iphones are SIM locked of course, and in order to do it your phone needs to be jailbroken as Apple obviously doesnt allow software that unlocks phones

Jailbreaking means removing Apples locks from the device, so you may install un-sanctioned software, that is software not from the Apple app store. When the iphone first came out there was no app store and no apps, and independent hackers started to do their own thing- thats where this is coming from. These days there are some apps that do things Apple would never allow - for example make Skype and Facetime work over 3G, enable tethering even if your provider doesnt want it, and so on.

Unlocking is removing the SIM-lock from your phone. Not all iphones are SIM locked of course, and in order to do it your phone needs to be jailbroken as Apple obviously doesnt allow software that unlocks phones

Nikster, does skype really does not work on 3g. I made a call on skype when i was not on wifi. So i assumed it was 3g. Why would apple not want it to work on 3g ?

Yeah Skype seems to work over 3G now... so I guess pretending to be on WiFi is really only for FaceTime, and I imagine it would be too slow to be useful anyway on most Thai 3G networks.

Yeah Skype seems to work over 3G now... so I guess pretending to be on WiFi is really only for FaceTime, and I imagine it would be too slow to be useful anyway on most Thai 3G networks.

happily not so, i make excellent skype video calls on my iphone in saudi over local Saudi 3G here 3g to my wife and kids on their ipad on thai 3G - superb quality. she is in rural korat on AIS

Just need to qualify your last paragraph - in order to unlock your your phone independently of your carrier, it needs to be jailbroken. All Australian carriers will unlock for free upon a simple phone call; I unlocked my last iPhone while in Thailand by calling Telstra.