Just Got Non-Ed Visa In Penang

Last week we went to Penang in order to get our Non-Immigrant ED visa. It all went without any hassle. Here's how it worked:

- We went to Penang Thai consulate on Tuesday morning. We arrived at the gate around 8:45 AM (consulate opens for visa from 9:00 until 12:00 AM), only 2 people were already waiting.

- Gates opened at 9 AM sharp, we entered as number 3, behind us maybe 4 other people.

- We had all our paperwork done by the OLA school on Samui, it was reviewed very shortly, within 30 seconds we were presented with the bill already. Pay 220 Malaysian Ringgit per person. No questions asked. (NB: remember to sign all pages with your passport copies, we had done so previously at the school already.)

- We were told to come back the next day at 14:00 PM. When we showed up on Wednesday afternoon around 14:15 PM, there was no one waiting, we immediately received our passports with the correct visa in it.

- Entered Thailand on Thursday at Sadao checkpoint without any problems, received the 90 day stamp.

We did not see any people with Tourist visa issues or whatever, maybe because it was so quiet.....

Off topic: our Thai lessons will start after Songkran, looking forward to that!

Edited by thuisinthailand

They only issue single entry ED visa in Penang, we have to go to Immigration before our 90 days have expired, with paperwork from the school , to get 90 days extension, which will cost 1,900 baht each.

Do you have to go and pay 1,900 baht every 3 months!!!???....this is on top of the visa fee, travel expenses, hotels and the cost for the course???...I have seen many schools advertising 'free visa'....

Yes, you have to go to imigration every 90 days to get a enw extension of stay for 90 days.

Only university students and a very few immirgation offices provide 1 year extensions of stay based on education. I believe samui only gives 90 days.

They only issue single entry ED visa in Penang, we have to go to Immigration before our 90 days have expired, with paperwork from the school , to get 90 days extension, which will cost 1,900 baht each.

Do you have to go and pay 1,900 baht every 3 months!!!???....this is on top of the visa fee, travel expenses, hotels and the cost for the course???...I have seen many schools advertising 'free visa'....

Yes, every 3 months. Don't be fooled by advertising with 'free visa', this goes with EVERY private school. But visa fees you only pay once, as well as the travel expenses, because you can extend your ED visa every 3 months as long as your language course is going on. And yes, you have to travel to Immigration, but I guess you take your motorbike for that, or bicycle, or car, or bus, or taxi, or whatever :)

As long as your at school and get the paperwork the '.this is on top of the visa fee, travel expenses, hotels ' is a one off, so 1,900 baht every 90 days is for as many years as you go to school......... there is NO more Hotel, travel out of Thailand and Visa fee to pay, people study here for years on the 90 ED extensions