Songkran Day

Want to avoid the wet water,at sweeney todds we are serving fish & chips at special price of 150 baht,for one day only,and all beer at 60 baht.

Come and enjoy the party, and if you miss the water throwing you can dare to sit outside.

By the way no deliveries that day

Sweeney todds is open all day, with a full menu. If you cant make it here ,never mind but remember sonkran and motorbikes are not a good idea.

Have a good day and stay safe,I have been in thailand 12 years and i see too many accidents on this day

Have a good day and stay safe,I have been in thailand 12 years and i see too many accidents on this day

Sad but very true. I usually have to rescue one of my customers from a hospital somewhere on the island.sad.png

I can just see you prising their credit card out of the hospital administrators hand as you dash for the car! biggrin.png

I'm yet to get down there, but I hear he has rung the bell a couple of times with a full house lmao.

I think they have a second sitting tonight, see you there.

I'm yet to get down there, but I hear he has rung the bell a couple of times with a full house lmao.

I think they have a second sitting tonight, see you there.

what a great nite thanks to all of you who came,. had a good nite, pissed now. no beer left. xxxx it early to makros tommorow

I realize this thread is not actually about Songkran (it's about fish and chips and beer at a restaurant), but I have to say that this year there were a very large number of people in Lamai who did not observe the "honor" rule of not throwing water after dark.

In year's past it was understood that after dark, there was a cease-fire to allow everyone to eat and relax (recover?) from the day. Of course, you always had the drunk bargirl or local man who just had too much to drink and didn't know when to stop, but this year it was impossible to come into town at 7:30pm to eat without getting wet (again).

This is just mean spirited behavior. We already have water pipe "guns" used to try to put out your eye or damage your ear with high pressure and volume, ice water to try to shock your system, powder thrown in your face as you motor past to try to blind you on the road...and now people dumping water on you after it is clearly time to call it a day.

The bastardization of the tradition continues....

I realize this thread is not actually about Songkran (it's about fish and chips and beer at a restaurant), but I have to say that this year there were a very large number of people in Lamai who did not observe the "honor" rule of not throwing water after dark.

In year's past it was understood that after dark, there was a cease-fire to allow everyone to eat and relax (recover?) from the day. Of course, you always had the drunk bargirl or local man who just had too much to drink and didn't know when to stop, but this year it was impossible to come into town at 7:30pm to eat without getting wet (again).

This is just mean spirited behavior. We already have water pipe "guns" used to try to put out your eye or damage your ear with high pressure and volume, ice water to try to shock your system, powder thrown in your face as you motor past to try to blind you on the road...and now people dumping water on you after it is clearly time to call it a day.

Its one day in the year. Stay at home in the evening and cook at home. Whilst i don't go out and throw water in the evening i really don't see you have a valid point here.

Eitherway, its your choice whether to stay or take a break and avoid Songkran completely. I'm not a huge one for the water fight but i do enjoy seeing everyone, especially the children having a good time.

• Like 2

I have never heard of an "honour rule" to stop the dousing after dark, but then again, I do not live in Lamai. whistling.gif

I understood that Samui was all day Songkhran on the 13th only. However, I believe that Lamai, Chewang and even Bangrak are starting on the 12th cool.png

and I was doused again this morning by two thai looking guys on a motorbike angry.png

Its one day in the year. Stay at home in the evening and cook at home. Whilst i don't go out and throw water in the evening i really don't see you have a valid point here.

Eitherway, its your choice whether to stay or take a break and avoid Songkran completely. I'm not a huge one for the water fight but i do enjoy seeing everyone, especially the children having a good time.

I agree, Carmine.

Don't go to Issan for Songran, imnh, it lasts seven days up there!

be happy, i am in pattaya got soaked on the 11th and it wont stop until the 20th, 11th caught me out had phone and i pod. Samui is great for Songkran 1 night and a day. Bliss. i would love to be able to get near a fish and chip shop right now.

Its one day in the year. Stay at home in the evening and cook at home. Whilst i don't go out and throw water in the evening (Really? Why not? Because you know after dark it's finished for the day.) i really don't see you have a valid point here. (Uh, ok)

Eitherway, its your choice whether to stay or take a break and avoid Songkran completely.

"Reading is Fundamental!"

I never said I wanted to avoid the water on Songkran, nor was I complaining about how long the event lasted.

My point was, that in year's past, after dark people would stop. You should be able to see by the way people are driving around dry after dark and wearing non-Songkran clothing. It's mean spirited when some people don't know when to stop. It's like, I want to just get into town to eat, and you can see I am asking you to let me by and I am wearing long pants and a polo shirt, but instead you scream, "F-U! It's Songkran!" ....Yeah...it is ....and you really show you have the whole concept down pat regarding the essence of occasion. A second of thoughtfulness for another? Skrew that! Soak 'em down!

If you don't understand where I'm coming from, nothing more I can say.

• Like 1

Its one day in the year. Stay at home in the evening and cook at home. Whilst i don't go out and throw water in the evening (Really? Why not? Because you know after dark it's finished for the day.) i really don't see you have a valid point here. (Uh, ok)

Eitherway, its your choice whether to stay or take a break and avoid Songkran completely.

"Reading is Fundamental!"

I never said I wanted to avoid the water on Songkran, nor was I complaining about how long the event lasted.

My point was, that in year's past, after dark people would stop. You should be able to see by the way people are driving around dry after dark and wearing non-Songkran clothing. It's mean spirited when some people don't know when to stop. It's like, I want to just get into town to eat, and you can see I am asking you to let me by and I am wearing long pants and a polo shirt, but instead you scream, "F-U! It's Songkran!" ....Yeah...it is ....and you really show you have the whole concept down pat regarding the essence of occasion. A second of thoughtfulness for another? Skrew that! Soak 'em down!

If you don't understand where I'm coming from, nothing more I can say.

Yes whatever but call me what you want i really can't get as worked up as you about one day in the year.

Perhaps the more stalinist environment of north korea would ensure you that one vital extra dry evening.

Sure some people behave like idiots but when alls said and done Is it really such an issue to stay in for one night?

Edited by carmine