Thai Visitors To Uk

Guest endure

Thai friend of mine here in the UK has some Thai relatives visitng him on a 6 month visitor's visa (that's what he calls it - I don't know any more details). He wants to know if they leave the UK to visit other countries will they be allowed back into the UK?

Edited by endure

Look at the visa. If it says "MULT" next to "NUMBER OF ENTRIES" then the holder can enter the UK as many times as he/she likes, within the validity of the visa. "MULT" is stands for "multiple".

Edited by vinny

If for instance they want to go to say, Germany. Would they have to go to the German embassy in Bangkok for the Visa or would they be able to get the visa from the German embassy in the UK.

A Thai visiting the UK who also wishes to visit Germany would have to apply for the German visa at the German embassy in Thailand. A Thai who is in the UK for a long term purpose could apply at the German embassy in London.

Scouse.

That's interesting Scouser. I'd better make alternative plans sharpish then. As I said in another similar thread, my wife is with me on a tourist visa (6 month, 2 years in duration) while I'm doing a few projects in the UK. It's coming up to the fourth month now and we assumed we could, just the once, take a holiday not too far away and re-enter to get her the renewal as I need to stay in the UK 2 months longer than we thought. Of course it's at the discretion of Immigration as you said. But now after reading your post above I guess we have no option than to return to Thailand (or indeed a country where Thais don't need a visa to enter...and there aren't many outside of SE Asia it seems!). Is that right?

Although the visa is for 2 years, she cannot spend more than 6 months in the UK at any one time. Whilst there is no hard and fast rule, it is also possible that she would be refused re-entry if it meant she could be spending more than 6 months out of 12 in the UK.

Visit visas are intended for just that; visits. They are not meant to be a way of circumventing a settlement visa, and if the IO at the port of entry feels she is doing this she may be refused entry.