Looking For An Alternative To Ikea

bangkoktoday

After the most frustrating shopping trip to a shop ever, does anyone have any tips on where to buy decent bedroom, living room and kitchens in Bangkok or the suburbs?

My wife and I have just returned from IKEA where I had over a 100,000 Baht ready to spend on various items of furniture.

The first challenge was finding someone to help or provide advice. Although friendly noone could really explain anything. After 3 hours we finally chose several items of furniture and made our way to the shop assistant to ask what to do next. We got sent to the warehouse where we were told to load a trolley. Normally not a problem but how do you pick up a flat pack wardrobe followed by a chest of drawers and a bed and put it all on a trolley. They are seriously heavy items that require 2 strong people. I asked for help and was told it would cost me 4% of the purchase price and that I needed to fill in a card. Great reward for spending a lot of money. Decided to come back another day with a friend for the heavy duty items.

We decided just to buy a chest of drawers and a table as they were manageable. Got them on the trolley and paid for them. Next obstacle was then getting out of IKEA to the car. We asked for directions back to the car park and were told we needed to take the products we had bought to the pick up bay. This meant that I would have had to go and find the car then drive through a very unorganized car park to the bay instead of walking for 5 minutes to the car.

At this point we decided to give up and just get a refund and go home. Funnily enough the most efficient part of the whole day was this process. We said we wanted a refund, walked 10 meters waited 5 minutes and they credited my wife's credit card. The lady asked why we wanted one and I told her it was because it was just too difficult to buy things. She said yes, people often say that and that she couldn't help as she just worked there.

How does a business run like this? Has anyone else had these issues? And would be grateful for any advice on decent places to go other than Index, SB etc.

Thanks

I have considered to open a topic about a month ago,for the exact same reasons as you describe in the OP.It was the first and very last time they saw me at Ikea.

I should add that after I gave up but before I finally left,I decided to have the famous meatballs i had read about on this forum.

The picture indeed also looked promising , like the rest of their sales catalog, but it turned out to be a plate of sauce with meatballs instead of meatballs with a gravy sauce.

I posted this sort of info on another thread, here goes again.

Go to Fashion Island, get yourself to Home Pro, exit HP at the checkouts, turn right, walk a few paces, on your LH side there is a Thai bank (SCB I seem to recall), just next to it is a furniture store called KT furniture.

This is all mai pradoo (rubber tree wood).

Beds are about 25k, wardrobes about 30k, that about all I remember.

The furniture on display is not the only furniture they have, the also have a photo album of other pieces.

This shop isnt for aficionados of Ikea and the like, I walked out of there flabbergasted at what was on display and the prices being asked.

The woman speaks a little English and will discount a little.

• Like 1

I've purchased a fair number of items from the new Ikea, both big and small, and I haven't had a problem yet.

Admittedly, the staff are a bit hard to find at times, but it is, after all, a self-serve store; it's part of the concept.

My advice: relax, take a breath, and get the job done. No big deal.

• Like 1

no way you should be buying ikea stuff in bangkok when there is more better furniture place

well u can try index, koncept ,sb design , chic republic , crytal design centre , just go to central world or paragon furniture floor and you

bascially can get anything u need

happy shopping

I just saw the topic title and cannot resist. The correct answer to the question is: Ikea is the alternative!

If you want service, you go to the established furniture shops, such as SB, Index, Mono, etc. You'll find them at MBK, Seacon Square, eveywhere.

Ikea is the new kid on the block, and their concept includes self-service

(Note that I'm saying this as a member who's lived here for over 20 years, not as a mod.)

• Like 1

The Ikea concept just makes no sense here yet.... maybe in 20 years... or whenever wages for shop assistants have increased by 1000% compared to today

You're right about that,in the western world they can provide cheaper products because they save fortunes on the employee costs.In thailand they save 300 baht a day per employee,making the concept useless.

I have just signed a contract with Ikea and I am due to teach all of the staff there English. The actual main management at Ikea are Swedish but they speak excellent English as I've had a few meetings with them. One of the things they discussed with me was turning around their process of buying products but they admitted that it was difficult because majority of the staff are beginner or elementary English level, therefore communicating with them is a little difficult. Also there seems to be a miscommunication error on what the management want to what the employees do. Its a total new system to them and they're not used to it and that's why its very long-winded and complicated.

I start teaching them after Songkran and I will also be teaching them relevant communication skills for the new process which will be introduced soon.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that Ikea are aware of their problems and are in the process of changing the system. I would say bear with them and give them a chance in a few months time when they're fully trained in the areas of where they're supposed to be working.

• Like 1

The Ikea concept just makes no sense here yet.... maybe in 20 years... or whenever wages for shop assistants have increased by 1000% compared to today

You're right about that,in the western world they can provide cheaper products because they save fortunes on the employee costs.In thailand they save 300 baht a day per employee,making the concept useless.

While the math may be right, I understand the store is always full with Thai customers.

Might have to do something with branding.

While the math may be right, I understand the store is always full with Thai customers.

Might have to do something with branding.

Yes you are right... it was jam packed (mostly with Thais) when I went there... it seems Ikea has successfully marketed themselves as a fresh new European furniture brand...

I still think they could increase sales and profit if they employed more staff to guide these potential customers...

As you say though, their brand will keep them going regardless of how crappy it is... just look at MK suki!...

It's good to hear the shop is aware of the situation.

I appreciate it is a self service store but it is only self service if you can manhandle big items. Otherwise it is 4% for this service plus a 650 Baht delivery fee. I agree a delivery fee is fair enough but surely providing staff that are knowledagble and can help you carry things would not impact on the profitability of the store.

There are a huge number of people walking about upstairs with their kids. There are fewer people buying small ticket items and the warehouse was almost empty when compared to everywhere else.

Just an observation but is the store in danger of Roti Boy syndrome? You may remember these bread shops opening 6 or 7 years ago and having huge queues outside all day. 6 months later the store(s) is empty. Is IKEA just a day out?

Anyway,heading to Index and a couple of other places. Never thought I would miss the shop assistant shadow you acquire there.

Edited by bangkoktoday

Pradoo is not rubber tree wood. At those prices it will be made from rubber tree wood, mai para.

Yes, the name for "Rubber" trees is "Mai yahng para". Not to be confused with "mai yahng" or "mai bpratoo" which are both protected species, and therefore extremely expensive, not to mention nothing like "mai para" in appearance.

The wood from "mai para" is quite durable and finishes to a lovely light straw colour with fine grain pattern.

Sorry for the OT post. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I have just signed a contract with Ikea and I am due to teach all of the staff there English. The actual main management at Ikea are Swedish but they speak excellent English as I've had a few meetings with them. One of the things they discussed with me was turning around their process of buying products but they admitted that it was difficult because majority of the staff are beginner or elementary English level, therefore communicating with them is a little difficult. Also there seems to be a miscommunication error on what the management want to what the employees do. Its a total new system to them and they're not used to it and that's why its very long-winded and complicated.

I start teaching them after Songkran and I will also be teaching them relevant communication skills for the new process which will be introduced soon.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that Ikea are aware of their problems and are in the process of changing the system. I would say bear with them and give them a chance in a few months time when they're fully trained in the areas of where they're supposed to be working.

Excellent excellent I have thought for several years now that this "teaching english to staff" is an excellent idea it has no boundaries - McDonals,Index,Big C, and the list goes on but does not end at hospitals, clinics, dare i say schools or even bolder Department of Education! Good on you, lets forge forward and instead of condeming Thailand for lack of "english" take steps to help citizens of a country where the world communal language is not native!!improve their skills in this medium "English"

Edited by mijan24

Otherwise it is 4% for this service plus a 650 Baht delivery fee. I agree a delivery fee is fair enough but surely providing staff that are knowledagble and can help you carry things would not impact on the profitability of the store.

As I recall from my wife and I's visit, the 600 or so baht delivery fee was based on an a delivery item size up to so many meters... Larger things like longer couches or large sets might have higher fees for larger size deliveries. It wasn't a flat fee amount regardless of size or volume.

BTW, I'm all for Thai businesses improving the English capabilities of their staff. But in this case, I'm not quite sure how doing that at the line staff level is going to help fix what the OP described as a broken and convoluted product pulling, purchasing and getting to your car system.

If the current Thai staff don't understand what non-Thai management wants them to be doing, it doesn't take all of them taking English lessons to fix that problem. It takes someone in Thai explaining what management wants.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Excellent excellent I have thought for several years now that this "teaching english to staff" is an excellent idea it has no boundaries - McDonals,Index,Big C, and the list goes on but does not end at hospitals, clinics, dare i say schools or even bolder Department of Education! Good on you, lets forge forward and instead of condeming Thailand for lack of "english" take steps to help citizens of a country where the world communal language is not native!!improve their skills in this medium "English"

Surprisingly enough, there are many corporate companies in Thailand who pay private language schools to teach their employees. This will be the 4th corporate company training I have done so far in 3 months. Also, its not always for the customer's benefit either. Some companies have to deal with headquarters in different companies in America, China, Japan etc and because English is an international widely used language. It makes sense to be taught English.

I have found as a teacher that the main problem is that the teaching of English has only been introduced into schools in the last 20 years or so (don't quote me on this figure!) Therefore the older generation of Thai people who are still working to make ends meet are at the bare minimum of English level. When I did placement tests for the staff of Ikea, most of the employees who were over the age of 40 years old could only just about say "Hello" and that was about it. They did not even understand "How are you?" and they failed their listening and writing tests (Some could not even write their own name!)

Otherwise it is 4% for this service plus a 650 Baht delivery fee. I agree a delivery fee is fair enough but surely providing staff that are knowledagble and can help you carry things would not impact on the profitability of the store.

As I recall from my wife and I's visit, the 600 or so baht delivery fee was based on an a delivery item size up to so many meters... Larger things like longer couches or large sets might have higher fees for larger size deliveries. It wasn't a flat fee amount regardless of size or volume.

BTW, I'm all for Thai businesses improving the English capabilities of their staff. But in this case, I'm not quite sure how doing that at the line staff level is going to help fix what the OP described as a broken and convoluted product pulling, purchasing and getting to your car system.

If the current Thai staff don't understand what non-Thai management wants them to be doing, it doesn't take all of them taking English lessons to fix that problem. It takes someone in Thai explaining what management wants.

I completely understand what you are saying and the Swedish management discussed this with us when we had a meeting. From my knowledge and gathering of understanding, this system will be changed very soon and employees will be assigned to certain areas on what jobs they're supposed to be doing. For example, the management highlighted that sometimes when a customer needed help moving something there seemed to be a lack of organisation where by someone would go looking for a suitable member of staff to help move the products to a designated place (e.g. pick up by car) they wanted to change this so that someone was available at all times.

From what I gather, its not just the lack of communication in English which is the problem. Its the lack of communication all together (even in Thai) and also the lack of organisation amongst the staff. When I asked some of the staff what their job role was in Ikea, most of them had no specific title or designated area of the floor to be working at.

I guess at least we can say they're aware of the problems and in the process of trying to fix it. It's a start, right?

Just an observation but is the store in danger of Roti Boy syndrome? You may remember these bread shops opening 6 or 7 years ago and having huge queues outside all day. 6 months later the store(s) is empty. Is IKEA just a day out?

While the madness of the first few weeks of the opening are over, I doubt very much Ikea is just a fad.

While OP did not find in the store the service he was looking for, I believe it actually offers an in teresting alternative to those who are actually looking for something different.

I furnished my place few years ago, while Ikea was not here, mostly using the shops recommended by other posters (Index, SB,...). THe experience was alright, but now that I had to do more purchases, I found in Ikea things that I care much more for and that none of the competitors offer yet.

Here's a list of what comes up to my mind:

• Choice: Ikea is probably the place where you have the most chance of finding what you're looking for in one place. We all know how difficult it is to go around Bangkok, and the days where I managed to buy only half of the stuff I was looking for, before having to try another shop are over.
  • Stock: Contrary to the Index and SB furniture shops I used (in central BKK, it might be different in suburb stores), Ikea has all the stuff they sell on site. If they have it, you can leave with it. I like this better. Index offers delivery and assembly, and usually don't have the furniture available immediately. Well, it actually bothers me because it means I'll have to make an appointment, and take a half day off to be there when they come deliver the stuff (and make sure they don't scrape my floor while doing the assembly). Home deliveries in Thailand are extremely unreliable. It's a big loss of my time
  • Consistency: Ikea designs and manufactures their stuff. SB, Index, etc... are retailers. They sell a selection of furniture from various suppliers. For this reason, you might have trouble finding matching elements. In Ikea, birch veneer will always be of the same shade whatever the product line. Width and heights are standardized and you'll easily fit ilements in the shelves and dawers.
  • Quality: Index, Ikea, SB etc.. all offer similar levels of quality. But Ikea is more reliable on that. They basically have 3 price level for everything and you'll know easily what you can expect from what you buy (cheapest: well, cheap, medium will be pretty good quality, long lasting, expensive will be the same quality but with a nicer design, materials). In Index, I sometimes had not so great experiences.
  • A good website: Ikea is one of the only business in thailand where you can actually prepare your visit before going to the shop. They'll have up to date information, prices and availability
  • Self Service: I actually appreciate that. Clearly we don't all agree, but many people like me enjoy to be left alone while in a shop. Nobody to bother me. I hate it when the salesman of index follows me like a shadow.

There's one thing I completely agree with however, is that I don't get what all the fuss is about those meatballs.

• Like 2

Been to IKEA three times by now, found it to be as easy to shop there as in the German IKEAs I know so far. Never bought anything sizeable, though, just stuff that fits in the trunk.

Cannot say that it is THAT much cheaper in general, I just pick up the items that are on heavy discounts. And those ARE cheap. Also of interest is the kid's toys corner as they have stuff I haven't seen in Thailand yet.

• Like 1

When my wife and I went there and spent most of the day looking around, we were quite impressed with the range of non-furniture household things they have in stock... some upstairs and a lot more on the whole downstairs area that is devoted to such things... A lot of household things in far more selection and variety than I've ever seen in any other single store anywhere in Thailand. And all of those things can be carried away in your bag or bags.

For example, the management highlighted that sometimes when a customer needed help moving something there seemed to be a lack of organisation where by someone would go looking for a suitable member of staff to help move the products to a designated place (e.g. pick up by car) they wanted to change this so that someone was available at all times.

From what I gather, its not just the lack of communication in English which is the problem. Its the lack of communication all together (even in Thai) and also the lack of organisation amongst the staff. When I asked some of the staff what their job role was in Ikea, most of them had no specific title or designated area of the floor to be working at.

Based on what you recount above, they clearly have a whole lot bigger and more pervasive organizational problems there than just the English speaking ability (or lack thereof) of their staff. It sounds like a total Thai fire drill, so to speak.

Based on the day my wife and I spent there, and that wasn't at the time of their initial opening, they had FAR FAR more Thai customers shopping there than farangs, though obviously some farangs are going there... but it seems to me the proportion is likely relatively small.

No job assignments... No job titles... Lack of communication. They're off to quite an impressive start.

BTW, on our visit there, I basically encountered few if any English speaking staff. But fortunately, my Thai wife was able to communicate just fine... when we could find an IKEA staff member around anywhere.

Pradoo is not rubber tree wood. At those prices it will be made from rubber tree wood, mai para.

Yes, the name for "Rubber" trees is "Mai yahng para". Not to be confused with "mai yahng" or "mai bpratoo" which are both protected species, and therefore extremely expensive, not to mention nothing like "mai para" in appearance.

The wood from "mai para" is quite durable and finishes to a lovely light straw colour with fine grain pattern.

Sorry for the OT post. rolleyes.gif

SM not OTT at all, both Gippy and you are correct, I got the name wrong.

Anyway back on topic, for those searching for alternatives to the usual suspects, today I visited The Mall Bang Kapi, on exiting at car park level 3A or on the 4th floor is a shop called Sigma Design, on the RH side of the store they have some very nice mai sak furniture, at almost give away prices, three piece suites, bedside cabinets, occasional tables, display cabinets etc etc, didnt see any beds.

The store is located to the rear of the Mall near the car park.

• 2 weeks later...

@ tallguy. Thanks will stop by and take a look.

As I am moving into a house, the landlord is looking to rent his condominium. It is a 1 bedroom, 55 square meter fully furnished apartment on Sathorn road. The rent is 20,000 Baht a month. The landlord is Thai but spent a long time in the UK and speaks better English than me. Really easy to deal with and efficient.

If anyone is interested let me know and can conatct via phone.

Edited by bangkoktoday

Too bad you had this experience at Ikea. We plan to buy our kitchen and wardrobes there. I already had a bunch of Ikea stuff from Europe and I grew up with Ikea, so for me it would be a natural. My wife loves Ikea. There online tool is quite cool.

We are good customers at HomePro and such, but can't see us buying the kitchen there. The quality is similar, but the kitchen we saw at Ikea that we want is about 240k, excl appliances. At HP, I would guess that we could add another 100k.

Appliances have already been purchased at HP.

When we talked with one of the staff at Ikea, they did seem kind of lost sometimes, but they did try. A tip, don't go on weekends.

They did say that we should make an appointment with them to survey for the kitchen.

About CDC, we went to Gio Kitchen. Super quality, super design, Quartz worktops, but we can't afford 600k+ for a kitchen.

• 2 weeks later...

I try and avoid IKEA like the plague where I live in Dubai. Problem is that once inside I can't bring myself to be dictated by them as to which route to follow, ie follow their big foot prints on the floor, Not. Then, being windowless and totally disorientated I have to find someone to tell me how to get out! My fault I know but they could make it easier for those of us who are not escape artists and only want a bundle of place mats. Unfortunately I'm being tempted to go back soon to buy something. Maybe I should take my Garmin or a bucket load of patience; not forgetting the wood glue for those pre-drilled holes that don't marry up. Otherwise the quality and choice seem OK for the price.