Top Ten Proofs You Have Been Acculturated In Thailand

I have no idea what these people are on about:

Toilet paper on the dining table/floor no longer seems odd.

And on the fridge, next to the bed, on the bookshelf and my desk, in fact everywhere except the toilet, because of course there it would just get drenched with water. Why is that odd?

You refer to all caucasian people as farang.

What else would you call them? Do you use the word "Caucasian" in your normal conversation? Or "white people"?

What about "kreng jai" and "mia noi"? Some meanings just work better in Thai!

Leave restaurants with a toothpick in your mouth.

Actually I already did this long before I went overseas, what's wrong with that?

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-- your sink has 11 dirty spoons and 1 fork

-- when security guards, staff, etc say hello in passing, you respond with a shortened "'kub" rather than a full "sawatee kub"

-- you are fully aware that on any given BTS ride you could be surrounded by international criminals avoiding capture, pimps, prostitutes, japanese families, terrorists, and pedophiles... and you are ok with that.

Yes, yes and yes - don't see anything odd about these.

When you start making up excuses to get out of having sex (again) with your wife/gf.

No excuses needed, as long as I give her credit for the missed session in her weekly bonus calculation.

When you start to think you think too much.

Now this is definitely valid, and one of the best lesson's I've learned from living here. Really, not joking, I definitely used to over-analyze everything - life is much more pleasant if you learn to just relax and go with the flow.

You invent new English words to impress all your new Thai friends! Acculturation!!!!....Really!

You never use your indicators but wave your magic hand out of the window.

You wonder why there is white paper in the toilet?

You squat rather than sit on a chair as squatting is more comfortable.

You eat something from all the dishes on the table even if you have no idea what you are eating.

You refuse to acknowledge other foreigners even if they are polite.

Acculturation is a word, according to several dictionaries. Please get a vocabulary before being a twit.

• Like 1

When you realize it actually **isn't** cheaper to buy pre-cooked street food, and go down to Klongteuy market at 6am to buy more food than you and the maid can carry for 400 baht. Total food budget for household of 2 adults and 3 kids - less than 140 baht per day, and healthiest you've ever eaten.

Of course the Thai members of the household continue to spend over 30% of their total income on unhealthy snacks.

I'm not going to get **that** acculturated. . .

• Like 1

-- when security guards, staff, etc say hello in passing, you respond with a shortened "'kub" rather than a full "sawatee kub"

-- you are fully aware that on any given BTS ride you could be surrounded by international criminals avoiding capture, pimps, prostitutes, japanese families, terrorists, and pedophiles... and you are ok with that.

When you start making up excuses to get out of having sex (again) with your wife/gf.

No excuses needed, as long as I give her credit for the missed session in her weekly bonus calculation.

Now this is definitely valid, and one of the best lesson's I've learned from living here. Really, not joking, I definitely used to over-analyze everything - life is much more pleasant if you learn to just relax and go with the flow.

I find it much easier not to think as much in Thailand compared to Farang land.
  • Like 1

For me it was last night when we were across town and starting to head home when my wife wanted to go to a noodle shop about 30km away (in the direction of our home) in my mind I was plotting my route to get there the quickest way and it included going the wrong direction on a divided 4 lane highway for just a little bit and I thought nothing wrong with that

The noodle soup was wonderful by the way

You have such a cornucopia of (loosely based upon Buddhism) religious beliefs that you have absolutely no understanding of what Christmas cake-looking statue you're praying to, but you do know that your best friend got the promotion because you prayed to it.

rolleyes.gif So you definately don't think you are over analysing this thread then!

You invent new English words to impress all your new Thai friends! Acculturation!!!!....Really!

You eat something from all the dishes on the table even if you have no idea what you are eating.

Acculturation is a word, according to several dictionaries. Please get a vocabulary before being a twit.

Please read the whole thread before being a bigger twit!

--food stall workers without plastic bag hats during rain seem like crazy people

When farangs call eachother twits on an expat forum

Please read the whole thread before being a bigger twit!

Toilet paper on the dining table/floor no longer seems odd.

And on the fridge, next to the bed, on the bookshelf and my desk, in fact everywhere except the toilet, because of course there it would just get drenched with water. Why is that odd?

You refer to all caucasian people as farang.

What else would you call them? Do you use the word "Caucasian" in your normal conversation? Or "white people"?

What about "kreng jai" and "mia noi"? Some meanings just work better in Thai!

Leave restaurants with a toothpick in your mouth.

Actually I already did this long before I went overseas, what's wrong with that?

Nothing at all. It just shows that you are not acculturated.