Tot Internet Quality

toenail

At my condo in North Pattaya, there seems to be many customers of TOT (including myself) that is connected to TOT internet. It fades in and out...the times of reliablity (when it is on for a straight 20- 30 minutes without disconnecting) is unpredictable. Calling the office doesn't help - "everything here ok...". What is the problem? (Can't be overload with it acting like this even at 2am in the morning.) Alternatives?

It's the same for me in my village. Up and down, slow and fast. I asked to upgrade to a faster package and they wouldn't do it. Told my wife they just can't support the faster speeds.

I have friends who got upset and switched to 3BB. Now they are unhappy and might be switching back. Internet here is pretty hit and miss. Seems to be more miss than hit?

Me too.

It's cracking along at 5mb then will suddenly drop to nothing just for a few minutes then back up again, up and down most of the time very annoying.

It happens at all odd times so not connected to the weather or when the kids come home from school and start gaming.

:-(

I live in North Pattaya (Markland) and have the TOT 9Mb package. Most of the time it's fine - though torrents can be throttled sometimes. I have had a couple of downtimes, which took AGES to resolve. However most of the time taken to resolve is finding out who is responsible for the downtime: TOT or the condo. That, and my very limited Thai doesn't help either.

Overall, though, I am very pleased with the service.

I was thinking it was my TOT modem so was interested in hearing others are having similar problems, so maybe it's not the modem after all.

Anyway I'm thinking of replacing the modem anyway before complaining to TOT so would be interested to know what modem you got that solved the problem for you.

:-)

Doubt if it is the modem, most of TOT, 3BB, etc. are shared lines with no guarantees on speeds (read the small print), hence the low prices of like 590/ month for 10Mb - 100Mb....(just an example), you can get a dedicated line from most of the providers, it will take a while to get it installed, it will be reliable, but it will not be cheap!!

Yea! difficult to pin down an intermittent problem.

I want to get a wireless modem at some time anyway so thought to wait and see if that would help.

I can understand the speed getting overall slower as more people get on line but don't understand why it should bounce up and down between 5mb and zero so much. Can't see a bunch of people coming on line all at the same time for just a few moments before all logging of again at the same time.

I obviously don't understand how this thing works.

violin.gif

In my quest for reliable internet by ToT I've used 3 different Modems

1- Supplied by ToT (Standard Modem No Wireless)

2- Bought from ToT (Modem with Wireless)

3- Zyxel bought in TukCom

None of these 3 modems gave me a better / more reliable internet.

The only thing that helped me was getting another line in by Cat Telecom.

Yea! difficult to pin down an intermittent problem.

I want to get a wireless modem at some time anyway so thought to wait and see if that would help.

I can understand the speed getting overall slower as more people get on line but don't understand why it should bounce up and down between 5mb and zero so much. Can't see a bunch of people coming on line all at the same time for just a few moments before all logging of again at the same time.

I obviously don't understand how this thing works.

violin.gif

Ha Ha, me neither, but i think it also depends what area you are in and how many people are sharing the lines.

BTW, free wireless modem with TOT orders just now (from the Ban Amphur office anyway) seems to be good up to now anyway, i have had 3 new lines in this last month and everybody seems to be happy, maybe as the lines get used up speeds will slow..time will tell?

I am sure it vary from area to area?

I got TOT internet, the abo for 590 Baht per month + VAT + basic fee = around 706 Baht total each month.

the connection is not very fast, but usable, the download speed is between 0.6 and 1 Mbps, the upload speed between 0.3 and 0.5 Mpbs. for my need, it is ok.

I pay 631 Baht, incl. VAT, for the 7 Mbit package. (DSL only, fixed line isn't needed anymore!)

Speed is ok, most of the times I get the 7 Mbit download speed, but it depends on the server.

Speed goes down between 20.00 -22.00 o'clock, like everywhere..dry.png

But its rock-stable. Never had a disconnect, over the last 8 months, even at heavy rain it worked perfectly.

So highly recommended in my area at the "Darkside", Soi Kao noi/Kao talo.

I live on Thepprasit and I have had the basic 6 Mbps TOT package for four months. It took a while to get them to connect it, as they never answer the help line and refuse point blank to send anyone to your house to check it out. After a loud argument with the lady in their office on Klang the next morning I was connected - it sometimes does pay to lose your cool it seems.

Anyway, for four months it has been rock solid stable, I can only recall the connection dropping once in all that time, and even then it was only for a few minutes. Speeds are variable, but at a quiet time I will get close to the rated 6 Mbps DL speed. At busier times it's slower, but whether that's because the sites I am downloading from are overloaded or if it's a TOT problem I can't say.

All in all I'm very pleased with it, and I have been surprised how good it is, especially with the rigmarole of getting connected in the first place.