How Much You Pay For Your Helper

carmenshih

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The going rate, for a Thai employer (a Falang employer will be charged extra), is 4k per month, everything included, that is, food and board.

for that rate knowledge of spoken english will be limited to "yes" and "no".

• Like 2

The going rate, for a Thai employer (a Foreign employer will be charged extra, for Foreign language skills, etc.), is 4k per month, everything included, that is, food and board.

That cheap? I am paying 12K including food and a nice guest room for sleeping

The going rate, for a Thai employer (a Foreign employer will be charged extra, for Foreign language skills, etc.), is 4k per month, everything included, that is, food and board.

Four thousand a month for live in full time Thai domestic helper.

I would like to see that........

Even Laos and Kymer domestic help will not work for 4k a month anymore.

For English speaking be prepared to pay a fair premium too.

Can my wife apply for the position? She'll do it for 10K. Seriously, I think that is way over the norm. However I'm not familiar with BKK.

Like most things I suspect it depends on :

Where you are (region city etc)

Who's available and wants the work.

What they will work for.

Its gonna vary dramatically from Phuket to Bangkok to Chaing Mai to Udon Thani and everywhere in between.

Can my wife apply for the position? She'll do it for 10K. Seriously, I think that is way over the norm. However I'm not familiar with BKK.

Yup, I live in BKK, may be this is the reason of paying more

The quality of maid will vary enormously, and obviously the less you pay the more likely you are to get someone who has no idea about what duties and skills are required. Last year my maid had to go and look after her father for a couple of months as he was recuperating from an operation. In the interim we hired someone working for another household in our condo, (in central Bangkok). Although a nice lady, she was not au fait with what was required, despite repeated instruction. Happily my maid returned, and I now refer to her as the "saint". She works 1-6pm Monday to Friday and is paid THB8k per month.

^8K for half a day's work 5 days a week. Do you realise that's more than most English teachers get paid?

How is that more than what English teachers get paid? huh.png

that is around what thai english teachers claim to get paid , and they would be expected to work a full day to get their salary (not a 5 hour day )

so in reality ,a maid may be "richer" than an english teacher :)

of course ,farang english teachers get 40k upwards in bkk ,many recruited from kao san rd hostels with no experience or qualification apart from being a farang

^8K for half a day's work 5 days a week. Do you realise that's more than most English teachers get paid?

"more than most English teachers get" . Yes, but you know, cleaning a house is classified as very skilled work here, compared to the teachers. biggrin.png

• Like 1

I think it depends a lot on the English language skills

We pay the maid 8k/month for 6 days/week and she cant speak any English

We pay the nanny 15k/month for 5 days/week and she is fluent in English (she used to work for us in London)

Edited by brit1984

A maid is worth more than a teacher.

And most maids will have better English language skills than most English teachers in Thailand.

For 12k and free room and board I'd expect her to have a college degree and be able to tutor children too. If she's really good and actually speaks some English its worth it though, reliable help is hard to find.

Edited by DP25

Naam Said, for that rate knowledge of spoken english will be limited to "yes" and "no"

​I thought the amswer to any Thai was Yes nad Yes when they have no idea what you are asking?

This is very true, when I just came here, I asked something, and they said "yes"..but I didnt see they get what I want..eventually, I realized "yes" from Thai doesn't really mean "yes"..it may be "No" or "I don't understand."

For 12k and free room and board I'd expect her to have a college degree and be able to tutor children too. If she's really good and actually speaks some English its worth it though, reliable help is hard to find.

My maid speaks excellent English, she understand 100%, just one thing, she is a little bit straight forward, you have to tell her all the details and instruct very clearly, don't expect she would think why you want to do this or that, she may do some adnormal action otherwise. For this, I am paying 12K, live in. Someone told me even you are paying 8K, she may steal or break your things, finally, when you look at the full cost, it may equal to 12k as well.

A maid is worth more than a teacher.

And most maids will have better English language skills than most English teachers in Thailand.

How about their cleaning skills? One doesn't hire a maid for chitchatting in English. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1