How Much You Pay For Your Helper

carmenshih

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

we pay our maid 10,000 baht a month she lives near by and is like a member of the family for our kids I know people will say to much but why not shes dirt poor and a few thousand baht extra makes a bug difference to her and her families life. I feel shes worth triple at least and has been with us 12 years. We also give her a largish Xmas bonus usually around 10,000 baht or pay for a needed repair for her house to same or more amount. She also gets anything we dont need anymore or that we replace with newer models such as TV's air cons computers and rest

we pay our maid 10,000 baht a month she lives near by and is like a member of the family for our kids I know people will say to much but why not shes dirt poor and a few thousand baht extra makes a bug difference to her and her families life. I feel shes worth triple at least and has been with us 12 years. We also give her a largish Xmas bonus usually around 10,000 baht or pay for a needed repair for her house to same or more amount. She also gets anything we dont need anymore or that we replace with newer models such as TV's air cons computers and rest

how much do u pay her ? i didnt quite catch that......

sorry computer button glitch so it got posted several times

There are so many reasons for learning Thai here I'd recommend that in any case, you can teach her enough English in a year or two anyway if that's important for other people/reasons.

nota bene: important for somebody who works for us is to speak any of the languages we master, not the other way round!

In which case you'll need to pay accordingly, certainly not B5,000 per month.

I was working on the assumption that anyone living here long term would **want** to learn Thai, and the money saved on servants would more than pay for even private 1:1 lessons.

And I do teach English to all the Thais with a significant role in my life - and their children - so in my case it's no extra trouble.

sometimes assumptions are not applicable. moreover, there is no way for a foreigner to learn Thai within a year or two to give specific instructions, not to mention that we would not employ somebody and wait for a year or two to receive an adequate service just because it pays for private lessons.

we have done it the other way round and paid for my wife's driver private english lessons. this was important because his driving is nowadays a negligible service after i trained him for several years to carry out most maintenance and even repair work a high-tech home requires. needless to mention that he makes double the money working for us half the working hours than he earned as a automotive mechanic working full time. worthwhile to mention is that he saves us more than double what we pay him which we would pay otherwise to some contractor for providing (most of the times) worthless and clueless workers.

while i agree that if you were entirely helpless in any environment that would require the use of thai it would be pointless to employ help that you could not communicate with, i certainly do not believe that you would not become capable of giving specific instructions within the space of a few months had you the slightest interest.

that said, if you simply can not be bothered and have the wherewithal, throwing some money at the situation works well too.

Edited by nocturn
  • Like 1

You get what you can afford to pay, as in any other business arrangement. If you think you're getting a good deal, then you are...but it's always relative to what other's are getting...which you will never really know

You get what you can afford to pay, as in any other business arrangement. If you think you're getting a good deal, then you are...but it's always relative to what other's are getting...which you will never really know

thats what threads like this are for ;)

i have a better understanding of salary ranges of helpers than before i read it .........