What Do Zebra Crossings Painted On The Road Mean In Bkk?

jinjinswing

It will be no joke when one of the posters making light of something clearly uncivilized is run over by a motorized vehicle and lands in hospital with injuries and a large bill to pay. Funny to speak of Zebras and lions and whitening cream but when that happens (it's only a matter of time) it will not be amusing anymore.

You've convinced me. I'm going to the corner and mope for the rest of my life about the dangers of crossing roads in Bangkok. :(

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just walk out when there is a break and plenty of room for drivers to spot and stop for you. The key is to act like you just got hear and think pedestrians have the right of way. Just look straight ahead to the other side of the road as of you are oblivious to traffic. If you do this, they will stop. Even as a pedestrian you need to be a bit aggressive. They know they are supposed to stop if you are in the crosswalk but most won't as long as they think you will back down first. So, just act like you could care less about the traffic. With that said, keep an eye on the oncoming cars in case a driver isn't paying attention but just don't let them know you are watching with your peripheral vision.

Zebra crossings are a designated zone in which a pedestrian being that of thai nationality or farang are required to use when crossing any roadway or vehicular throughfare.

A person using this crossing shall do so at there own risk.

The crossing also acts as an easy location zone should any pedestrian be run over as the emergency services will proceed straight to the nearest Zebra crossing rather than complicated directions.

jap.gif

Err well ya can't fix something in Thai thats already broken, its called go with the flow ,This is why Thailand is a great place , no one cares about the little things you mention, as for Australia that over governed place sth of Thailand ,where there are more dont's than do's, well ya gotta keep up with the jones's in Thai U don't have the jones's only the shinawattsits err do U get the picture, be a niceclap2.gif and just go with the flow.

As pretty much everone has said - most Thais either ignore or simply don't know what zebra crossings represent. Like most, I like a lot of the "Thai ways" on the roads (in so far as lack of rules and fines) yet whole heartedly agree that making zebra crossings respected should be a relatively simple way to massively cut road deaths.

A very simple solution (very cheap too) is to simply raise the zebra crossings. After you speed over one of them once - you won't do it again (Not too good for either the underside of your car or the top of your head :)

It will be no joke when one of the posters making light of something clearly uncivilized is run over by a motorized vehicle and lands in hospital with injuries and a large bill to pay. Funny to speak of Zebras and lions and whitening cream but when that happens (it's only a matter of time) it will not be amusing anymore.

Bangkok is a megalopolis that has its attractiveness and it can be relaxing and unnerving at the same time. A city is not about buildings and roads but about the people who plan, live and manage it. Draw your own conclusions from this last statement.

Image, being first and foremost in Thailand, when a high number of casualties as a result of irresponsible traffic occurrences make the news around the world and the pocket books start hurting, only then (maybe) the powers that be will start thinking about doing something to mitigate (not solve) the image problem. It will truly be a miracle if that ever happens in this Amazing Thailand.

I agree with your postings on this point. The roads and the 'pavements' (bomb sites, in reality) are a real menace. I have been living in Thailand for some 4 years now (Bangkok) and always carry an umbrella jutting out from my side when I walk along the 'pavements' here, simply to protect at least one flank from the motorcyclists who at any moment can drive up from behind me on the pavement and do me an injury (brandishing an extended umbrella or tennis racquet is a good way to deter pavement-motorcylists from whizzing past you). I know of people who have been injured by these motorcyclists zooming along the pavements. The police also do it - so there is no hope of their stopping other offenders. It's one of the most irritating things of living in BKK to me: not being able to stroll along the pavements without having to watch your back (quite literally) the whole time: chaos reigns supreme on BKK streets. At first, as a tourist here, it's fun. But living, working and walking here - that's a different story!

This isnt AU, it is Thailand, so get over it and smile. The quirks are what attracts lots of us here, simply because it is different. Personal safety is each individual's responsibility here. Getting frustrated (rightly or wrongly) by all the things you mention only makes your time here less enjoyable. Life is too short to walk around angry all day about things you can not change or even influence!

If you prefer somewhere more 'civilized' there are plenty of options?

• Like 1

Apparently no one here has ever lived in Boston! Not only will they run you over in a heartbeat but will also piss on your mangled corpse and call you an A-hole after the fact for denting their car!

This isnt AU, it is Thailand, so get over it and smile. The quirks are what attracts lots of us here, simply because it is different. Personal safety is each individual's responsibility here. Getting frustrated (rightly or wrongly) by all the things you mention only makes your time here less enjoyable. Life is too short to walk around angry all day about things you can not change or even influence!

yeah the world is big and you can live anywhere you want..usually..but the OP has a point about his frustrations. The thing that upsets me the most is the one-sidedness of people's perceptions and actions. Example: you are walking on the sidewalk and a motorbike comes towards you, hits you and keeps going. OK..fine. that's the way things are here but wouldn't it be just as appropriate to have the consequence for the actions? That is the biggest thing I find that happens here. There is ONLY action but not REACTION. There is no consequence. So if someone runs into me while I am walking down the sidewalk (any example will do here) then it is just as "normal" to protect myself, react, or whatever by an opposite action. i.e pushing the motorbike driver, kicking the car that just about killed you..

Again to sum up:

1. There are NO consequences
  2. There is only action...reaction is not allowed
  3. living here is pretty cool intheclub.gif

Edited by nigelnigel

yeah the world is big and you can live anywhere you want..usually..but the OP has a point about his frustrations. The thing that upsets me the most is the one-sidedness of people's perceptions and actions. Example: you are walking on the sidewalk and a motorbike comes towards you, hits you and keeps going. OK..fine. that's the way things are here but wouldn't it be just as appropriate to have the consequence for the actions? That is the biggest thing I find that happens here. There is ONLY action but not REACTION. There is no consequence. So if someone runs into me while I am walking down the sidewalk (any example will do here) then it is just as "normal" to protect myself, react, or whatever by an opposite action. i.e pushing the motorbike driver, kicking the car that just about killed you..

Again to sum up:

1. There are NO consequences
  2. There is only action...reaction is not allowed
  3. living here is pretty cool intheclub.gif

I agree with you that there is a lack of consequences here as compared to the west . However, I much prefer having more freedom and less police presence/interference. I accept the result of this being sometime inconvenient and having to be more aware of keeping yourself safe as a small price to pay.

However, I am not sure those reactions, in your example, would be okay anywhere and would almost certainly lead to more problems for yourself. In your example you should get the plate number and hopefully driver description and contact the police if you feel the need to do something or want reimbursement for a medical issue or torn clothing. Sure, if you want results then you may have to give a little donation but fact is that it is best to just be aware motorcycles also use the sidewalks here and they too don't want to collide with you ... but likely less concerned with a collision than you.

With that said, nothing wrong with, when having a bad "Thai way" day, with fantasizing a bit about pushing the guy over riding on sidewalk, regardless if he hits you or better yet smashing the heck out of a parked motorbike, usually outside internet cafes, that is blocking the sidewalk forcing pedestrians into the street. wai.gif

Edited by Nisa

The guy who claims motor bikes can legily use the footpaths because ramps are provided must walk around with heavy shades on...your F**** blind...some curbs are 200 mm plus high...and many have no ramps partner.

I nearly got run over today by some jerk coming out of a private car park and he had no intention of stopping, bullied me. i was already crossing on the footpath when i saw a big black bonnet of some hugh 4WD from the corner of my eye..and he wasnt going to stop...i let loose with verbal abuse ...stopped 20 mm from my shoulder...

This is Thailand fall into place....bulls**t pedestrians have a right to feel safe on a footbath and crossing a zebra crossing, what is it, the law of the jungle? do we need to walk around with a shot gun to feel safe?

About the only credit i will give Thai drivers is that they drive slower and seem a lot more careful.

In Cambodia i saw cars parked on footpaths, in Siagon and Hanoi was almost impossible to cross a road you just had to walk straight same speed and they just wized around you.

Sorry i dont buy into take it as it is...footpath should be safe to walk on end of story.

And the footpaths need to be repaired, there an absolute disgrace in ladprhao, main road and busy....and who was the brains behind plonking a fire hydrant around balls height right smack in center of a footpath?

The guy who claims motor bikes can legily use the footpaths because ramps are provided must walk around with heavy shades on...your F**** blind...some curbs are 200 mm plus high...and many have no ramps partner.

I nearly got run over today by some jerk coming out of a private car park and he had no intention of stopping, bullied me. i was already crossing on the footpath when i saw a big black bonnet of some hugh 4WD from the corner of my eye..and he wasnt going to stop...i let loose with verbal abuse ...stopped 20 mm from my shoulder...

This is Thailand fall into place....bulls**t pedestrians have a right to feel safe on a footbath and crossing a zebra crossing, what is it, the law of the jungle? do we need to walk around with a shot gun to feel safe?

About the only credit i will give Thai drivers is that they drive slower and seem a lot more careful.

In Cambodia i saw cars parked on footpaths, in Siagon and Hanoi was almost impossible to cross a road you just had to walk straight same speed and they just wized around you.

Sorry i dont buy into take it as it is...footpath should be safe to walk on end of story.

And the footpaths need to be repaired, there an absolute disgrace in ladprhao, main road and busy....and who was the brains behind plonking a fire hydrant around balls height right smack in center of a footpath?

LMAO, I think we have all had these days. But it does mesmerize me how they put phone booths, huge traffic signal columns surrounded by an outer wall and fire hydrants right smack in the middle of a sidewalk on a busy street where it clearly is going to force people either out into the street or do a tight rope act to stay on the sidewalk. On a good day we chuckle about these things and on a bad day we want to burn the whole city to the ground ;-)

edit: Won't even get into the areas where sidewalks seem to be for customers only of the person who set up shop there ... or the folks who walk side by side and continue to do so when they see others approaching and know there is no room to get by unless you single file ... but my favorite is when people (Thai and tourists) believe that they best place to stop and have a group discussion is the middle of a sidewalk on the busiest road they can find.

Edited by Nisa

Speed up? rolleyes.gif

Don’t you know the cars are more important than people in Thailand. Even the garage guards keep pushing the cars to go even when a lot of people are crossing the crosswalks

I know that this comment will not be well received by those who have invested money (houses in the name of the Thai wife), time and effort to live here but, what the thread means is clear: Thais as a whole, have a Third World mentality. Barring few exceptions of course.

When a motorized vehicle trumps human life that speaks volumes of the humanness of that way of life.

"I run you over with my car: solly! (brief smile flashing on face) now I am leaving the scene of the accident."

Laws in Thailand, traffic and most otherwise, are mere suggestions. The police lacks training, ethics and a system of accountability. I had a short stint of a few months in Chiang Mai and I could verify that even when in one of the rare and few crosswalks with flashing lights that actually worked, drivers consistently ignored them. I was about to get run over by about 2 cars and a motorcycle while the red lights were on and I was in the middle of the crosswalk. One can change the geography (as I found out in Chiang Mai and Udo Thani) but the bad habits (san dan) of the Thai people date back to several generations and no matter how loud we scream here or at the drivers that almost run us over, will not have an iota of effect on their self absorbed Thainess. Thais are not evil; they are just thoughtless for the most part and self absorbed in the ways they have always done tings. A superficially modern society with archaic traits and behavior. jap.gif

There is a ring of truth to this. clap2.gif

Todays indecent blew my pressure valve, in just one week ive almost been hit twice buy a car while crossing a drive way one a petrol station and the other a supermarket....3 near hits from motorbikes, a couple of low held unberallas coming very close to my eye...stupid women, except for weekends were i go out with TGF i stay home with 1 trip downtown midweek and just to a local gym each morning...if i had to actualy go to work....well................................i would shoot myself.

Recently I traveled to Japan with my GF and two of her friends, it was rather funny to see them look at a car that stopped for us to cross a zebra, like asking themselves "why on Earth is this guy stopping like that?". Of course I hold this people in high regard but they live in a society with no concept of traffic manners. And when I say traffic I mean all kinds, like standing on the right of an escalator to let hurried people walk through, I had to remind my GF many times when other people got stuck behind her.

On a related note, I find particularly despicable the as*****s that, when you cross a road in between non moving cars, they move forward to close the gap you try to walk through. mad.gif

Some people are so thick. We are not joking **things are not the same here** so don't expect them to be.

Pedestrians do **not** have right of way. Right of way is based on your wealth and status, so the rule is the larger and more expensive vehicle has right of way. The **bottom** of the pile is the lowly pedestrian, who is required to cringe waiting and then scurry across. If you are on the footpath and a car wants to cross, they don't need to wait for you, you are supposed to accommodate them, not the other way around.

The meaning of the zebra crossing is this - the place where pedestrians are supposed to cross 1 at their own risk, no right-of-way implied. You can be fined for crossing in other places. 2 These are designed to concentrate the pedestrians crossing the street so they don't unduly inconvenience those drivers kind enough to pay them any mind at all.

The only exception to this is when there is a pedestrian light installed, but since there are relatively new here, many drivers will ignore them, so you still must be careful. You can however "act as if" you have the right of way, just don't do it stupidly.

Motorcycles have the right to go anywhere at all.

I am not being sarcastic, not trying to be funny. These are quite literally the "rules of the road" in Thailand, it is just the way things are here.

Live with it. Deal with it. Or go elsewhere. Stop complaining.

Recently I traveled to Japan with my GF and two of her friends, it was rather funny to see them look at a car that

I grew up in New York, which isn't as chaotic as here, but pedestrians are usually quite bold, ignoring lights etc. I had a consulting gig in Tokyo, and my first day was standing in front of a car-empty street, with crowds of pedestrians on both side waiting for the green. I figured I'd do my normal dash across against the red, as there were literally no cars in danger of hitting me.

Well! I could hear dozens of people audibly gasping out loud, everyone's eyes popping out of their head, mouths agape pointing and chattering, **parents covering the eyes of their children**, I was made to feel like a total pariah, as if I'd pulled down my pants and crapped in the middle of the avenue.

Didn't do *that* anymore.

I'm still a bit bemused at such conformity, but have to admit it makes for a more civil society. Just a lot less fun than the wild west we have here. Which of course is why I'm here rather than there, or Singapore etc.

Speed up? rolleyes.gif

Don’t you know the cars are more important than people in Thailand. Even the garage guards keep pushing the cars to go even when a lot of people are crossing the crosswalks

I know that this comment will not be well received by those who have invested money (houses in the name of the Thai wife), time and effort to live here but, what the thread means is clear: Thais as a whole, have a Third World mentality. Barring few exceptions of course.

When a motorized vehicle trumps human life that speaks volumes of the humanness of that way of life.

"I run you over with my car: solly! (brief smile flashing on face) now I am leaving the scene of the accident."

Laws in Thailand, traffic and most otherwise, are mere suggestions. The police lacks training, ethics and a system of accountability. I had a short stint of a few months in Chiang Mai and I could verify that even when in one of the rare and few crosswalks with flashing lights that actually worked, drivers consistently ignored them. I was about to get run over by about 2 cars and a motorcycle while the red lights were on and I was in the middle of the crosswalk. One can change the geography (as I found out in Chiang Mai and Udo Thani) but the bad habits (san dan) of the Thai people date back to several generations and no matter how loud we scream here or at the drivers that almost run us over, will not have an iota of effect on their self absorbed Thainess. Thais are not evil; they are just thoughtless for the most part and self absorbed in the ways they have always done tings. A superficially modern society with archaic traits and behavior. jap.gif

Pisico. This is the truest post I have ever read since I started reading these forums. it's especially true that most Thais have a third world mentality. They can't even walk on a sidewalk (or pavement) without walking into you. Even the birds can't fly through the air properly without flying into your car.

I personally don't care about food stalls on the sidewalk, but I do care about this zebra crossing thing and the motosais driving in the sidewalk fast. I found the best thing is to cross with confidence but keep looking :-P

I think the big problem is the policemen accepting bribes, because even if they tried to enforce the law one could always bribe them. It is the same when you speak with Thai people about this thing and they told you this is never going to change. How the hell is this going to change is you are the first one willing to pay some authority to avoid legal troubles? LOL

EDIT: Today my best Thai friend had a very small crash with his car against a motorbike, just some insignificant scratch in the car but I believe the motorbike driver did fall to the ground. He stop, apologize, etc and that's all. No insurance papers because "that could raise the insurance price next year" :-P I can not really complain about that because it is the same in my shitty european country.

I care about tables and chairs on the sidewalk. I used to teach at a big high school beside a busy main road in the city centre, and everyone, including the school kids had to walk on the main road to get past, even though it was very common there for motorcycles to come down the wrong side of the road, but hey, this is Thailand.

Bangkok is a megalopolis that has its attractiveness and it can be relaxing and unnerving at the same time. A city is not about buildings and roads but about the people who plan, live and manage it. Draw your own conclusions from this last statement.

Image, being first and foremost in Thailand, when a high number of casualties as a result of irresponsible traffic occurrences make the news around the world and the pocket books start hurting, only then (maybe) the powers that be will start thinking about doing something to mitigate (not solve) the image problem. It will truly be a miracle if that ever happens in this Amazing Thailand.

I agree with your postings on this point. The roads and the 'pavements' (bomb sites, in reality) are a real menace. I have been living in Thailand for some 4 years now (Bangkok) and always carry an umbrella jutting out from my side when I walk along the 'pavements' here, simply to protect at least one flank from the motorcyclists who at any moment can drive up from behind me on the pavement and do me an injury (brandishing an extended umbrella or tennis racquet is a good way to deter pavement-motorcylists from whizzing past you). I know of people who have been injured by these motorcyclists zooming along the pavements. The police also do it - so there is no hope of their stopping other offenders. It's one of the most irritating things of living in BKK to me: not being able to stroll along the pavements without having to watch your back (quite literally) the whole time: chaos reigns supreme on BKK streets. At first, as a tourist here, it's fun. But living, working and walking here - that's a different story!

Is it true what one poster said, that it is completely legal for a motorbike to ride along the pavements? It wouldn't surprise me this being Thailand.

It's not true...but it appears to be legal, motorist are meant to give way to pedestrians at zebra crossings, back home in AU when we went for our drivers license all those years ago one of the rules that is not followed much now is " when turning left or right you give way to pedestrians" here you got no chance unless you asserted yourself.

It's a lot easier living downtown bkk or one of smaller cities, but the deeper you go into suburbia bkk the more it's the survival of the fittest...or biggest...and 5 hr morning peek and 5 hr afternoon and evening peek hour traffic gives pedestrians little chance.

Paholyothin rd evening peek hour starts around 4 pm and will continue to 10 pm and not uncommon to be still busy at midnight.

Police prefer to shake down freelancers and there clients around nana, do motorbike license checks than actually check and enforce road laws, I hardly ever see police writing out infringement notices to motorists..... The fact of the matter is because police and police minister dont do there job, this culture of lawlessness has become in ground and taken as a legit way of operating.

I can honestly see myself hauling the next areshole out of his car and sticking his head under his back wheel.

when i got my licencee few years back i asked about the zebra crossings, as i recall i was told it was the safest part of the road for pedestrians but enter at your own risk. i have herd pattaya have installed red and green pedestrian crossing as there are no over head walkways.

china is alot worse .

There's one in Pattaya where the red man never changes to green!

I'm constantly amazed at the posters here going on about "the law" as if that has any relevance in Thailand.

It may or may not be the case that "the law" states that drivers should yield to pedestrians at zebra crossings, or motorcycles shouldn't use the footpath, vendors shouldn't block it etc. I personally doubt it for most of these, but in any case it isn't relevant to the OP.

The only time in practice you will see a car yield to pedestrians will be when they are facing a red light, and only some zebra crossings in some select areas have had these installed recently.

And even then you are well-advised to look both ways and not assume the driver will obey, since they are so new. And they **will** speed through if they think they can do so without hitting you.

Shouting, banging on their hood, throwing things etc will not help, and in fact if you get run over or beaten up for doing this I doubt if anyone will be sympathetic, that's just not the way things work here.

Those with more money have the right of way. Pedestrians are lower than motorcycles which are lower than cars, a flash Mercedes has right of way over a garbage truck etc.

That is the reality here and if you want to B&M about it here fine, but out there in reality don't put yourself at risk.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

• 4 weeks later...

after only 2 years in BKK i finally found a way to deal with other pedestrians ( i dont drive) I do as locals do. I do t give a s..ht about anyone that I dont know. I just walk. At the begining I use to give way, hold the doors,etc.. I smash doors back on the face now. Frustration? no. I GOT IT. and is fun. yes I crash and push to the road anyone on my way, I dont know them, so, f..k them. and it works. I dont complain anymore. Genuine respect is a concept that TH has not develop yet, only respect for a superior cast. ( money). Superficial modernity hides mediocracy at every level. Only denial prevails... so... why to worry? Enjoy your lovely thai friends (the ones that never ask you to pay for being falag) and do as they do, blur your vision and focus only in yourself and maybe half a meter in front...lack of respect? absolutlly! enjoy

after only 2 years in BKK i finally found a way to deal with other pedestrians ( i dont drive) I do as locals do. I do t give a s..ht about anyone that I dont know. I just walk. At the begining I use to give way, hold the doors,etc.. I smash doors back on the face now. Frustration? no. I GOT IT. and is fun. yes I crash and push to the road anyone on my way, I dont know them, so, f..k them. and it works. I dont complain anymore. Genuine respect is a concept that TH has not develop yet, only respect for a superior cast. ( money). Superficial modernity hides mediocracy at every level. Only denial prevails... so... why to worry? Enjoy your lovely thai friends (the ones that never ask you to pay for being falag) and do as they do, blur your vision and focus only in yourself and maybe half a meter in front...lack of respect? absolutlly! enjoy

i do not know this man personally but he does not say nice words about thai people and that is sad

maybe i misunderstand his words

i do not know this man personally but he does not say nice words about thai people and that is sad

maybe i misunderstand his words

I think you have to take of your still rose coloured glasses and read the quote again.