International School In Ubon Rachatani

blossombkk

Hi,

I met a guy in Burma a month ago. He told me he used to live in Ubon and this is the best of Thailand. As i've been checking along the whereabouts of the city I an wondering, is there an international school there for elementary and secondary grades?

Waiting to hear about it...

Not in Ubon. Here is a list of the international schools in LOS.

http://www.isat.or.t...list&Itemid=133

I quite like Ubon but it wouldn't be at the top of my list if education was a priority.

My Avast! tells me that site's been infected with a malware threat. Plus ISAT is a membership organization, is there a more inclusive list elsewhere? I realize that only a half-dozen or so of these will be of reasonable standards but for upcountry purposes even a list of government schools with English programs (sic) would be helpful.

Thanks

There is an international school called YES and I think another one somewhere. I haven't paid attention, but I have visited the YES school once. It appeared to be state-of-the-art with excellent teachers, resources and the facilities were the some of the fanciest I've seen. Worth checking out I'm sure.

http://www.yes.ac.th/main_en.php?module=about&load=locatione

There appear to be locations in Bangkok and Ubon Ratchathani.

Google 'yes school ubon' and it will come right up!

There is an international school called YES and I think another one somewhere. I haven't paid attention, but I have visited the YES school once. It appeared to be state-of-the-art with excellent teachers, resources and the facilities were the some of the fanciest I've seen. Worth checking out I'm sure.

http://www.yes.ac.th...&load=locatione

There appear to be locations in Bangkok and Ubon Ratchathani.

Google 'yes school ubon' and it will come right up!

Thank you, I did google it and got all the info I needed. Now after evaluating Ubon by itself, apart from having a good international school, I'm not sure there's a lot to do there. I got the impression that people live there only if they have Thai families, and they didn't really choose to be there for it's assets.

Am I right on this one?.

Hi Blossom --- you're right, in that --- there aren't tons of foreigners here, but I absolutely LOVE it. I'm a single, mid-aged female and I've been here nearly three years. It is a fantastic place to live. I love to go and visit Bangkok for the shopping and excitement, but usually, I can't wait to get back to peaceful Ubon. Here in Ubon - the food is great, the people are even greater and I'm never bored. I cruise around everywhere on a bicycle and enjoy myself immensely and I'm working full time at a school --- I've been at the same school for three years.

Anyway --- it isn't a fast paced place - that's for sure. So, it just depends on what you're looking for. There are now 6 or more flights a day out of our airport going to Phuket, Chiang Mai and many to Bangkok. So, it's easy to travel around and of course the trains and bus services as well. We're close to the Laos border as well for excursions there and some have even gone down to Cambodia over a border crossing there (I've never done that) . . . Ubon is growing A LOT too . . . . new shopping malls, new movie theaters and hotels, etc., etc.

Anyway -- have fun making your final decision!

Hi Blossom --- you're right, in that --- there aren't tons of foreigners here, but I absolutely LOVE it. I'm a single, mid-aged female and I've been here nearly three years. It is a fantastic place to live. I love to go and visit Bangkok for the shopping and excitement, but usually, I can't wait to get back to peaceful Ubon. Here in Ubon - the food is great, the people are even greater and I'm never bored. I cruise around everywhere on a bicycle and enjoy myself immensely and I'm working full time at a school --- I've been at the same school for three years.

Anyway --- it isn't a fast paced place - that's for sure. So, it just depends on what you're looking for. There are now 6 or more flights a day out of our airport going to Phuket, Chiang Mai and many to Bangkok. So, it's easy to travel around and of course the trains and bus services as well. We're close to the Laos border as well for excursions there and some have even gone down to Cambodia over a border crossing there (I've never done that) . . . Ubon is growing A LOT too . . . . new shopping malls, new movie theaters and hotels, etc., etc.

Anyway -- have fun making your final decision!

Hi Caanders,

That sounds as something I would like to look into. Are you connected to the people living there? thais or farangs? I'm afraid that being single as well, I might not find the right connections and would be a bit lonely. My children would depend on me for company and that would be difficult. I have to add that living in Bkk is not any different than that since I'm not the an out on the town kind of person, I enjoy life here because it gives me certain amount of freedom doing my things.

So could you tell me more about the people there? I mean farangs. Are people friendly there? and could you get interested in things other than bike travels? I do enjoy those a lot, but would need some friendly people around.

Hello again, yes, I am very well connected in the community here, but basically 99% of my friends are Thais. I have learned to speak quite a bit of Thai and spend a majority of my free time with Thai people. There are very few farangs here . . . I know a few though -- mostly farang men. I like them, but don't spend much time with them. Attending the international school . . . I suspect that your children would make loads for friends there and you would likely connect with other parents . . . perhaps? I prefer hanging out with the Thais here actually . . . it is definitely different from Bangkok where you can find a lot of farangs to be friends with, etc. . . .

• 1 month later...

There's no international school as such but there is the Narinukun International Programme which is located in a building in Narinukun School. It's part of the government Hub Project where around 14 International programs were started in schools around the country a couple of years ago.

I work there as a teacher. We teach the British Curriculum, all subjects are taught entirely in English (with high emphasis on independent thinking skills) and all the teachers are state qualified school teachers recruited from secondary schools in Australia and the UK. So far there are so far 3 classes Secondary Year 7, 8 and 9 (Mattayom 1, 2, 3) class number are kept low around 10-12 students in each.

http://www.wix.com/nip_ubon/nip

Edited by Grendel

There's no international school as such but there is the Narinukun International Programme which is located in a building in Narinukun School. It's part of the government Hub Project where around 14 International programs were started in schools around the country a couple of years ago.

I work there as a teacher. We teach the British Curriculum, all subjects are taught entirely in English (with high emphasis on independent thinking skills) and all the teachers are state qualified school teachers recruited from secondary schools in Australia and the UK. So far there are so far 3 classes Secondary Year 7, 8 and 9 (Mattayom 1, 2, 3) class number are kept low around 10-12 students in each.

http://www.wix.com/nip_ubon/nip

Thank you so much for the acknowledgement. As I understand this is the only thing for faranges.

I am reconsidering my move to Ubon, seems that it does'nt suit our needs after all.

Thank you