Static Ip Is It Worth The Extra 500 Baht?

TravelerEastWest

Static IP is it worth the extra 500 baht?

I have 3BB premier in Bangkok with 5 down and 1 up and a static IP.

The static IP is an extra 500 baht per month.

The reason I got it was that I was getting on spam lists in the past with True using a dynamic IP.

I now have zero spam problems but I also switched over to using Google for my email around the same time as I got the static IP. So perhaps it was using Google that fixed my problem?

I also use Vonage and I have heard that a static IP helps with VOIP/

Edited by TravelerEastWest

The only two reasons to use static IP are running a server that can't use any dynamic name service, or using some kind of service that utilizes IP based access control.

Your former mail service propably got blacklisted because of misconfured SMTP allowing external relaying of mail. You are absolutely right assuming that switching to gmail fixed that.

If you can connect to your VOIP service when using dynamic IP then you won't get any adwatage from static IP.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Spam comes from advertisers/sellers/spamers getting a hold of your Email address, not your IP address. Any server/web site you access can see your public IP address (i.e., the IP address dynamically or statically issued by your internet provider), but ISP firewalls, router firewalls, and/or software firewalls keep out/fend off unauthorized/unrequested access. And with public dynamic IP addresses it's changing every 24 hours or so. But once again, it's not your IP address that allows spam in; it spammers getting a hold of your email address....and there are so many ways you email address can fall in the hands of other folks...such as those folks who forward joke email to all their friends but don't use BCC...posting your email address on websites...businesses who sell your email address...so, so many ways

Since you got a gmail email address this means you have a new address that folks haven't got a hold of yet...so take precautions with it. You should have a couple of email addresses....one that you only use with your various accounts you consider secure, one email address for those not-so-secure/questionable website/accounts a person may have, etc.

Plus gmail has a great spam filter...it can catch a ton of spam but it can also catch some valid emails...so be sure to log onto gmail webmail a few times a month to check your spam folder for valid emails if you primarily use an email client to access your gmail via POP/IMAP....gmail automatically deletes any email over 30 days old which is in your spam folder/box.

Unless you are originating mail from your server tied to the IP, there isn't much need for a static IP, unless you have VPN's that can't use dynamic IPs. If you're just a home user using gmail, there isn't a reason to have a static ip, unless you want the convenience of reaching something at home via that IP.

Most ISPs like a fixed forward and reverse lookup that's on a static IP for "White Listing", which will help mitigate spam blocking.

A lot of "spammers" will use "floating" ips (different sending bots) from infected computers to splash mail on a hit and run basis.

If you're running your own email server and want a cheap trick to mitigate some of the spam, try this:

Setup your MX records with 2 ip's. The first one is a "dummy" ip, the second one is the real IP. Spammers will not wait for the retry, they just dump and run to another email address. A real email server will take the time to retry to the "real" ip and connect sending you the mail you need.

I've heard this will mitigate about 80% of the spam normally sent to your email server.

Great answers - thank you!

The spam that I wa stalking about is not what is sent to me (very little) but the lists that my email address somehow got on. The lists are used by webhosts and ISPs at times to block email hence my problem.

So teh common thought is taht Google fixed my email problem - good.

Now a Google search brought up a comment that static IPs help with VOIP quality - I use Vonage.

I guess a static IP can help VOIP in some situations (a lot will depend on your ISP & how well it interfaces with the VOIP network to include adequate/smooth bandwidth), but I've used Vonage and 8X8 (Packet8) VOIP services (both provided fine service) while in Thailand and in the U.S., and being the type that likes to tinker/check-out different set-ups I tried setting up a up static IP on the VOIP adapters and a couple years back even had a static IP address with my JINET service at the time. The VOIP plans also worked fine on TOT 2, 4 & 6Mb ADSL plans which uses dynamic IPs....a person only needs around 128Kb of smooth download and upload bandwidth to get VOIP to work properly. I'm in Bangkok.

I saw zero improvement in voice quality (which was good already), calls going through on the first try, inbound calls occurring no problem, and other calling metrics based on using a static IP or dynamic IP set-up. I just did not see any difference in operation, but as mentioned I guess it can help depending on your ISP network. And I'm know using a NetTalkDuo (a MagicJackPlus competitor) and it works fine on my True DOCSIS 20Mb plan/router which uses dynamic IP.

Unless you know why you need a static IP--you don't need it. When I was with JINET this particular plan came with a static IP automatically, but I didn't join the plan for the static IP nor ever used the static IP for things static IPs can be used for...nor could I say lower my monthly plan price by just giving me dynamic IP...the plan came with a static IP and that was that.....I just got the JINET plan to get faster internet browsing which it did provide.

Pib,

Thank you for your thoughtful comments.

Currently I am in Bangkok using 3BB Premier 5/1 with a static IP and get good audio to the US.

Within Thailand is another story and half the time the connection is not good. Vonage says that they are not strong in Thailand and that if I disconnect and then reconnect the router it will help as well as getting a good quality telephone line.

I mention this as I don't want to do anything that will further hurt my inside Thailand phone calls.

But now that I stop to think about it 500 baht a month (what I pay for the static IP now ) would pay for quite a bit of mobile phone useage inside Thailand which might be a better solution?

I know for many (like me & my family) having cheap, easy, and reliable capability to make calls to/from the U.S., to include that aspect of having a certain U.S. number so your family/friends can cheaply--like for free--call you, may be an important consideration. And when I say "easy" calling I don't mean making/receiving a call over your computer; I mean just having a regular phone...preferrably cordless so you can roam your residence...that is hooked to your VOIP adapter which is in turn hooked to your router just like a Vonage-type adapter...and you can grab that phone 24/7 to make or receive a call...none of this tethering yourself to a computer stuff like using the original MagicJack, Google Call, Skype, etc.

What I have done very recently (like last week) is switch to a NetTalkDuo (a competitor to MajicJackPlus). A NetTalkDuo or MagicJackPlus can either be used exactly like your Vonage adapter (i.e., hooked to your router and phone 24/7 for 24/7 phone service) or plugged into your computer like a USB dongle and used that way. I expect I will be using my NetTalkDuo hooked up like a Vonage type adapter about 99.99% of the time...I may take it with me on road trips. So far, after one week of use I have had zero issues...plus I was able to get my area and prefix code of choice which makes it free for certain family/friends to call me here in Thailand...just like I'm living across the street from them.

Here's a Link which will take you to a MagicJackPlus ThaiVisa thread where the NetTalkDuo is also talked. I sure prefer paying $2.50/month for unlimited calling to/from the U.S. compared to $16/month and up (including taxes/fees) for Vonage-type plans. After one week of use, my NetTalkDuo is still working fine for outbound and inbound U.S. calls....just like the person calling is across the soi. Either a NetTalkDuo or MagicJackPlus should work fine; I chose the NetTalkDuo because I got more of a warm fuzzy with NetTalkDuo in looking at all the different reviews a person can google up, plus NetTalkDuo has real live tech support people you can call where with MagicJackPlus you can't call them/must use online support & troubleticket submissions. If going the NetTalkDuo/MagicJackPlus approach you will probably have to order it online/get someone to mail it to you....you may be able to pickup a MagicJackPlus in Thailand but I haven't seen where anyone posted you can "for sure get one at XYZ store in Thailand because I saw them with my own eyes/bought one recently."

Now keep in mind I have only been using my NetTalkDuo for a week...but so far, so good....I'm very pleased...knock on wood (my head).

You are correct that google is pretty good about handling spam. I get maybe 2-3 per day in my spam folder & almost zero make it to my inbox.

I had Vonage in BKK on my True account at home. I had dynamic IP, not static, and Vonage worked great. I really think you're getting nothing for your 500 baht. I now have the same Vonage account in Japan, and had it before in San Diego. All with dynamic IP address and it always worked great.

Think outside the box. Instead of figuring out if you need a static IP, create the things that do need static IPs on your computer. You have 1 meg upload speed, but I seriously doubt if you are even coming near that in any situation you have mentioned.

The biggest thing in having a static IP is being able to host your own website on your computer, and use the upload bandwidth you have effectively. If you were to pay for web hosting to match what you can do with your static IP, and bandwidth it would cost more a month than the bt500 you pay for the static IP. You can set up a web server, and an email server, you just need to get some simple software, and a domain name. You could even charge for these services if you found some customers.

Other than that a static IP is worthless to you for what you are doing now. The only advantage it could give you is not being disconnected occasionally if you always leave your computer on. Static IPs have real good uptime.

Edited by koolbreez