Magic Jack Plus

BangkokImages

You can also logon onto your account where the VoiceMails can be replayed. Apparently you cannot dialup your VoiceMail or enter your own VoiceMail welcome message, which I think you can with MagicJackPlus.

Quick correction/clarification to above: you can retrieve your NetTalkDuo VoiceMail via dialup and enter a personal VoiceMail greeting: just dial *98 and follow the instructions. NetTalkDuo still working fine after about 30 hours of use...inbound and outbound calls clear.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In what way is Magic jack better than Skype ?

Skype (basic) is only free to other Skype subscribers and US Toll Free numbers and your computer must be running to use it and you must use headphones with a microphone or a USB handset

MJ (basic) all calls to US numbers are free and your computer must be running to use it. MJ Plus, same as MJ basic but computer only needs to be on to set it up using a router ( router then which must always be on to use it), and you use a regular telephone

Just another update on my NetTalkDuo after 3 days of use....from here in Bangkok calls to and from the U.S. (mostly East Coast..half way around the world) work fine...calls go right through...clear as a bell on both ends of the call...have done calls ranging from a few minutes to around an hour with no disconnects...I'm on a True DOCSIS/cable 20Mb internet plan since your internet plan has a lot to do with how well any VOIP-type device works...but for any VOIP-type device you only need approx 128Kb of smooth, consistent down and up bandwidth. VoiceMail works fine...have setup a personal greeting...can call-up to retrieve VoiceMail and/or get a audio wav file emailed to me a second after the call ends...I have it setup to allow both. I have my NetTalkDuo hooked up to my router and cordless phone just like you would use a Vonage-tpye box...you can also hook it to your computer. I have downloaded/installed the USB driver/program to allow computer interface...the files installed on Win 7 no problem, but I haven't plugged the NetTalkDuo into the computer yet to confirm it interfaces with my computer properly, but I expect it will work just fine....use of my NetTalkDuo will not be through my computer but just as an interface between my router and cordless phone....just like you would hook-up a Vonage-type adapter/box. So far, so go...I'm still happy after approx 3 days of use...knock on wood (my head).

Just FYI...NetTalkDuo still working fine; however the purpose of this post is to give you a heads-up that the 3d generation of MagicJack is supposedly coming out in the second half of this year. 1st generation was the original MagicJack, 2nd generation the MagicJackPlus, and the 3d generation to be the MagicJack Wifi. See this unofficial Magic-Jack.com Link (not the official MagicJack website) for more info.

Edited by Pib

I need help, please. Has anyone in Thailand with the following system/equipment got the MagicJack Plus connected to the router and working perfectly, corectly? I have Window 7 64 bit, CradlePoint MBR1000 router, CAT CCU680 modem, CAT CDMA internet and Panasonic KX-TG2382B (brought in from USA when moved to Thailand). I've got most of MJ+ features working nicely but ...

My problem is that all the calls from USA always go directly to MJ+ voice mail and my phones in Thailand never ring and the callers never hear any ring whatsover. Of course, I receive voice mail email notification every time.

I have gone through all procedures I found online: DHCP Reservation, DMZ for MJ+, Port Forwarding 5060/5070, MJ+ Static IP set up within MJ+ account profile, several MBR1000 reset to factory default, restore configurations, reboot, power off/on, remove/attach MJ+ to the router, re-test MJ+ with computer, changing phone, adding phones to make REN value above 1.1 but lower than 2.9, removing phones to make REN lower (TG2382B has only .1B).

I definitely don't want to contact MJ+ chat for help (again). I've wasted 1 hour of my life with them on my account log-in problem - and that's was enough.

I hope my problem is not related to the private IP address (10.xx.xx.xx) assigned by CAT CDMA to (all) my internet account.

Any suggestion from any MJ+ user in thailand would be much appreciated. Thank you very much.

If not tried already, you might want to try turning off the Firewall "in your router/modem." Usually that's one of the first things VOIP-type technical support want you to try since the Firewall can block "OK data/communication" so to speak trying to get through. Unless you have some MagicJack profile nknowningly set to defer all incoming calls to VoiceMail automatically, it sure sounds like you have a NAT Transversal problem (i.e., the two way data kinda gets loss/confused on the internet) which can be caused anywhere along the connection between your MagicJack and the person calling you, but is many times a problem with the VOIP provider servers...a problem that may only affect a limited number of customers.

I know it can be very frustrating especially when you've tried a bunch of hopeful fixes already. I went through the same thing last year when I just changed my phone number with my 8x8/Packet 8 VOIP service....the service had been working fine for years...great two way communications...called 8x8 and got the number changed....just took a few minutes, but then my problems started. People would call me, hear the phone ring, I would answer and start speaking but they could not hear me...but I could hear them fine...they would hang up...I now had a one-way auto problem. But if I initiated the call we had two way communications.

Called 8x8 tech support several times...had tried about everything you did...even tried turning off the modem/router Firewall but it didn't help...when the dust settled about a week later 8x8 said it was a NAT transversal problem (which I had already suggested to them) and the Level II Tech support rep said they actually had hundreds of customers develop this problem...some brand new customers and some old customers who had number changes. Anyway, the fix was for them to put us folks on a "TURN ONLY" server versus their standard servers which eliminated the NAT Transversal problem.

Edited by Pib

Last night I made some changes and I got my phone rang a few times when receiving calls. To my MBR1000: did a hard reset; DHCP Reservation for MJ+ and DMZ for MJ+. On my MJ+ account profile: set it to use static IP and reboot MJ+. I also mucked around with the Panasonic KX-TG2382B phone: changed line mode from default B to A (no idea what difference) and ringer on/off settings. Suddenly I got it rang receiving the call - the very first time. But no more! Then I changed the phone to the most basic/cheap phone that only has a phone plug and without power or battery. Reboot MJ+ again and I got that phone rang 2 times when reciving calls. I was so excited but that was it. Sigh ...

Although I could not specifically say what made it worked a few times but it sure was a progress. I'm quite convince that it is the VOIP NAT Traversal problem as suggested by our TV member Pib (thank you so much). I plan to learn more about it (VOIP NAT Traversal + my MBR1000 + CAT CDMA).

My next step: to muck around more with MBR1000 settings or, even though I love my MBR1000, try using a different router (need suggestion too).

Any other thought would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I sincerely wish you luck in fixing you problem. All those different settings you've tried (and I've tried over the years when having VOIP problems) never resolved my VOIP issues; when the dust settled the VOIP provider finally did something on his end to make things work again. Well, I take that back, there was "one" VOIP issue I was able to solve with my 8x8/Packe8 VOIP service.

When I switched from TOT 6Mb ADSL to TrueOnline DOCSIS/cable 20Mb in Jun 11, I noticed I could continue to call out OK, people could call in OK and I still had good two way voice quality. Then I dialed up my VoiceMail and when being prompted to enter my PIN I would enter it, but apparently the VoiceMal system could not hear me pressing the phone keys. I then tried calling one of my banks in the States and their interactive system couldn't hear the key presses/tones either. Wow, this ain't good. At the time I had a True-provided Cisco modem/router. I first turned off the Firewall, retested; didn't help. I then turned of the "IP Flood Protection" setting in the router; retested--problem fixed. The interactive systems that we all too often must deal with could now hear me...hear the key tones. The TOT ADSL modem I had didn't have any such IP Flood Detection settings if I remember right and at the time I was running a Linksys WRT54G router hooked to the TOT modem...I don't know if it had a IP Flood Protection setting or not...I never did fire it back up to check. A few months ago when my Cisco modem-router was swapped out by True for a Thomson modem-router model the problem immediately came back; but I went in the router settings and turned off the IP Flood Protection...problem fixed once again. Don't know if IP Flood Protection is something unique to cable modem-routers or also widely used in other modems-routers...I don't remember seeing it in the other routers I've owned over the years, but now days I have a hard time remembering what I did 5 minutes ago.

Any other thought would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I think you need to be running a STUN client on your PC and server application which can essentially map your changing private CAT CDMA IP address (10.xxx.xxx.xxx) to the changing public IP address at the CAT CDMA "boundary"?

For some mobile broadband service providers you do get a real public IP address which allows one to use services like VoIP.

Edited by lomatopo

I am happy to report that I did it - fixed it !!! My MJ+ is now rock !!!

Last night I did the following to my MBR1000 router: Added traffic shaping; changed MTU from 1492 to 1480; disable high speed mode and disable aggressive modem reset. Those settings did not fix my problem.

However, this afternoon I did the followings:

- Upgrade the MBR1000 firmware since the latest was released just today!

- Reverted MJ+ account profile to use DHCP

- DisableStateful Packet Inspection (SPI)

- Disable SIP Application Layer Gateway (SIP ALG)

And the magic happened! I just tested it again before posting this post. Thank you for all your comments and suggestions. Thank you so much.

I learned this evening that there is a free MagicJack app for the Ipad.

NetTalk also has such smartphone free apps for Apple, Android, and Windows Mobile. See this Link. One of these days I need upgrade to a smartphone and play with some of the zillion apps out there.

I learned this evening that there is a free MagicJack app for the Ipad.

NetTalk also has such smartphone free apps for Apple, Android, and Windows Mobile. See this Link. One of these days I need upgrade to a smartphone and play with some of the zillion apps out there.

As I believe I reported earlier in this thread, I tried the NetTalk app on my Android smartphone, and it installed fine. But I could never make any call with it... I'd dial the number and hit call, and then every time I'd get a recording saying unable to complete the call... Ended up uninstalling...

I'm waiting for the MJ Android app... :-)

Can't speak to NetTalk smartphone apps, but that NetTalkPlus I got is still working just fine. I'm still just using it like a Vonage/VOIP-type adapter where it's just hooked between my router and cordless phone (the same way you could hookup a MagicJackPlus). I also installed its driver on my laptop to test the NetTalkDuo just being plugged into my computer USB port like the original MagicJack, but I still haven't got around to testing it that way yet....I need to do that soon.

I was able to choose a specific local exchange number (e.g.: MUrray Hill 7) within an area code on MJ, but this was a ~ 4 years ago, or more. Maybe their pool is reduced? This is almost moot now though as 10 digit dialing is required even if calling the house across the street. But yes, most legacy service providers include intra-exchange calls in the basic plans, but this is less of an issue as it may have been when you last lived in the U.S.? Now you might get a completely different exchange number, or even a different area code, from a next-door neighbor. I remember when we just had to dial 4 digits within the local exchange, and party-lines and operators who knew where our parents where!

You are much older than I thought.neus.gif

Ya...ditto on that from Loma above...

I can certainly see, and don't find it unreasonable, that any "economy" calling service is going to have some kind of terms of reasonable use limitation.... But I'll also agree, this is the first time I've ever heard or seen any mention of the specific one described above for MJ... So it's good to know no matter what.

I think the bottom line is, if you're a normal residential phone user, it's likely to never be a problem. If you're operating a telemarketing or similar business and trying to do it via MJs, then I can see it would be a problem. And frankly, for the sake of all the regular users who'd expect normal use out of their network, it probably ought to be.

No absolutely true and I actually said in my post that it wasn't a serious disadvantage. As I've said, I like MagicJack and will continue to use it.

My problem with this, and with other companies too, is the principle that it seems to be completely acceptable nowadays to advertise a service (internet , phone service and so on) as "unlimited", and then find that it is not unlimited at all.

I don't find this acceptable marketing. I'm not questioning, you understand, the need or the desirability to limit the service, because I accept that in most cases. I am questioning the policy that allows limited services to be called 'unlimited' on advertising without fear of prosecution.

I don't really feel that arguments like you can't expect unlimited usage 'at that sort of price' or with the 'oversubscription of internet connections' and so on, however true, excuse this behaviour. You shouldn't have to work out that a claim by a company is actually untrue: they shouldn't be allowed to make it.

'Nearly unlimited' would be truthful and alert potential customers to actually look up the limitations before buying.

I suppose I'm complaining/asking: why are they (and companies like them) allowed to lie?

VoiceStick used to have unlimited plans to USA and Canada for like $19.99 and I think a free incoming plan for $3. too bad they now discontinued their telecommunications portion of their business. They recommended CallCentric, which allows you to connect to any SIP enabled device, so either a box (adapter) that you can then plug in a regular landline phone.

I understand that magicjackPlus can only use ethernet connection, although you could use a ethernet-to-wireless adapter (has anyone tried this and acheived reasonable results)? Basically MagicJack seems to be great for a) those whom it works well for quality wise, and B) those who love to chat. I can see a small business saving a lot of money on voice calls..

In regards to calling card, you can use the CallCentric click2dial feature, OR use a service like Pingo.com. I got my dad on Pingo and he is very pleased. Local access number, auto-recharge via credit card, customer service via phone, and pinless dialing (using caller id to recognize certain authorized users). The call rates are some of the lowest i've seen $0.0175/min to USA, $0.033/min to thailand, $0.0275/min (0.045 mobile) to Malaysia, to $0.05/min to Cambodia, etc and there is only 0.99/mo fees for acct maintenance. For those with local landline phone service, you can call the phone company's customer service and verify the local access # is local), or use the Pingo 1-800 access # for 0.01/min extra. He was so used to the printed calling cards and having to go into the city to get the best ones. Even then, they have all kinds of tricks, like daily/weekly calling fees, per-call surcharges, 2-6 minute rounding, etc, and in many cases it is rare that you can get a one-size-fits-many countries card. What would be good for Jamaica would be terrible for Thailand, etc.

I did some research and after testing a previous online calling card program, we found Pingo has great rates for just about every country (at least the ones we are interested in). When we first started, I don't remember the $0.99 monthly fee, but it's totally understandable and it still works out much better that just about any local calling card. In fact, when he travels to the carribean, he'll use the local sim to call the USA (which they may have promotional minutes with certain topups), and then use pingo to call another international destination. Now if he tried to call the international destination directly from the local sim, well, reminds me of the USA carriers. Don't they still charge $1-4/min for international calls to many popular destinations?

But he's been using Pingo for perhaps 3-4 years now (and has owned a cell phone for over 1) and he has never looked back; completely cancelling his long distance service with the local carrier that charged him like $20/mo or something similar just to have the long distance available (no included minutes). The rates were always worse than using the tricky phone cards, let alone Pingo. He couldn't manage something like magicjack because he can barely check email and doesn't have high-speed internet. Even if he did, he could not manage even the smallest issue that may popup.

In regards to whether you can get a better deal than magicjackplus, I think for those who do get magicJack (Plus) working for them, it's a great deal. at under $2/month for "unlimited" calls to the USA and Canada, and free incoming calls. There were rumours of unofficial hacks that allowed people to use it on their android or other devices, but those have been largely eliminated. I think it would be much more popular if it could at least be used on smartphones. You'd have to carry a regular phone around with you if you travel, although I suppose you can get a cheap small cordless one cheap at tesco/walmart/etc. And some hotels will have the corded variety in the room. It would be great for those small businesses or chatterboxes who make calls throughout the day. The biggest drawback is that you are limited only to their proprietary device. They may have android/iphone/ software-only solution, which would be a huge step in the right direction,

but they seem to want to keep people attached to the device itself as more of an "As Seen On TV" miracle product.

In terms of flexibility, I think Callcentric can give you a better deal if you work it right. You can get free service that is $0/mo where it is free to call other CallCentric phone #s, and pay as you go for incoming ($0.015/min)/outgoing calls. $0.020/min ti USA, $0.0308/min Thailand $0.0165 ($0.0385/min)Malaysia, Cambodia $0.052/min, etc here is a full list. And you can set it up right away on any SIP-enabled device or software, which covers almost all laptops, smartphones, and adapters designed to work with VOIP carriers/phones. You can also use it on any laptop, smartphone or device with the proper sip software.. You can port you phone number, or pick one from them. Currently they have a pay as you go plan which is FREE, but you have to pay $0.015/min for all incoming minutes. unless you get the $5.95 unlimited incoming plan. That would be great if you have a ton of people that can call your phone. If you want your own personal number with a city-specific area code (not a callcentric 777 number), you pay $1.99/mo. If you want to port an existing phone number, you must pay a one-time port fee $25. No forced E911 signup or fees (but they will encourgage you strongly). Complete and comprehensive online management of your account for billing, call details, add/remove services, and trouble tickets are answered within a few hours. They also have a bunch of services that usually come standard with most cell carriers that some local landline carriers still charge for: caller id, call screening/blocking, call forwarding, voicemail, 4 way calling, etc. They seem to have put a lot of effort into explaining the large array of services that they offer; they are actually designed to be a full service VOIP phone carrier, without all the large monthly expenses for stuff you don't need. Great for scaling up, and you can start out with just what you need. The call quality is excellent in my usage, and while outbound calls to toll-free 1-8xx numbers are not free ($0.0088/min), Skype currently takes care of that needcool.png Callcentric route seems overwhelming, but it's really simple. It's mostly like magicjack in operation, but you bring/configure your own device and you can customize what features you want/pay for.

btw, there was one feature I was hoping lomapoto or whomever could elaborate on: Unlimited SIP URI calling. I would think something like this would be used heavily in a country like Thailand by the casual user, implemented with an easy front end software that can link someone's email or existing phone # to this SIP URI and people could call each other free. Kind of reminds me of NexTel's walkie-talkie feature. It was kind of cool at the time.

Skype (basic) is only free to other Skype subscribers and US Toll Free numbers and your computer must be running to use it and you must use headphones with a microphone or a USB handset

MJ (basic) all calls to US numbers are free and your computer must be running to use it. MJ Plus, same as MJ basic but computer only needs to be on to set it up using a router ( router then which must always be on to use it), and you use a regular telephone

Skype does have external phones, I have free calling to Thailand for when I am out of the country and then free to the US, Canada and the UK - all 4 to landlines and mobiles.

http://shop.skype.co...0|15000~&page=1

Skype has an Android app that will work with 2.2 or greater. I think there is a iPhone app, but I cannot confirm if Simbian has an app. Great to be able to make free 1-8xx toll-free calls to customer service numbers in US, UK, and a few other countries with out having to be attached to the laptop :) Skype does have outbound rates and surcharges, but the quality is fairly decent even on lower bandwidth connections (at least my prior experience). I personally only use it for 1-800 toll free calls or skype-to-skype; I really don't like the program running otherwise. My older Skype account still has $3 left in it for over 2 years now.

I think in the USA, the carriers somehow convinced Skype to force the app to only allow calls over WiFI (no 3G use), but that may be obsolete now with a hack or Skype coming to their senses. The USofA has not lost its sense of control.

Can't speak to NetTalk smartphone apps, but that NetTalkPlus I got is still working just fine. I'm still just using it like a Vonage/VOIP-type adapter where it's just hooked between my router and cordless phone (the same way you could hookup a MagicJackPlus). I also installed its driver on my laptop to test the NetTalkDuo just being plugged into my computer USB port like the original MagicJack, but I still haven't got around to testing it that way yet....I need to do that soon.

Finally got off my large behind, unplugged the NetTalkDuo from my router upstairs, took the NetTalkDuo and a cheapy phone downstairs to my laptop which was talking to the router upstairs via Wifi, hooked the NetTalkDuo into the laptop's USB port, the NetTalkDuo made an almost immediate network connection, I plugged in the phone to the NetTalkDuo, and then made some calls from and to the NetTalkDuo....worked fined. Used my 8x8 VOIP service to make the calls to the NetTalkDuo...a VOIP service which has served me very well for year but I won't have too much longer if the NetTalkDuo continues to perform well for the next month or so.

Then unplugged the NetTalkDuo from the computer, took it back upstairs and rehooked it to the router...immediate network connection made...made a call from and to the NetTalkDuo no problem.

Summary: swapping the NetTalkDuo between my direct router connection and my laptop USB port connection is quick, easy, and works. Countdown to canceling my other VOIP service continues.

Well, went to the www.nettalk.com home page today to read up on something and I see they have now announced the availability of the NetTalkWifi, which allows you to connect via a computer USB port, router port, "and "now also by Wifi. See this Link.

So, this means once you have setup the device to work with a Wifi source you can place it anywhere--no need to be physically connected to your computer or router.

Just my luck....I buy the NetTalkDuo when it was the latest & greatest and now the NetTalkWifi is out which is like a NetTalkDuo but with Wifi capability also. Oh well, technology marches on.

For U.S.A. to Thailand calling cards idPhonecard has great service, features and rates: $0.026/min. (2.6 U.S. pennies).

http://www.idphonecard.com/idreg/rates.php?countryfrom=USA&countryto=THA

If one assumes that incremental data is free, let's say at home with broadband (DSL/DOCSIS et al.) and premises WiFi (obviously not free per se) then there are any number of free calling options with Line, Viber, Skype etc.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.naver.line.android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.viber.voip&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS52aWJlci52b2lwIl0.

Pib,

Thanks for your postings and follow-up regarding the NetTalkDuo. Very good information.

I installed the original beta MagicTalk software on my PC and laptops. My experience with call quality and customer service was as others have published.

To add further information to the thread;

Google Voice has provided consistently good voice quality and connection. For calls to/from the US to/from my PC and laptops.

And, Obihai has products advertised to support Google Voice. And, a new "Obi 202"?

http://obihai.com/product-primer.html

But, past reading indicates adding Google Voice to the hardware has varied from easy to very hard.

And, just as I was pasting the URL, I also noticed "Obion PC" on the products page? Software for PC? Obi endpoints?

I would like to continue using Google Voice. Any comments regarding the viability of the Obihai hardware/software as a stand alone would be appreciated.

Cheers

TwentyBaht,

Thank you for raising my interest again on Google Voice. While the Google Call icon appears in some of my Google Mail accounts and I've used it to call folks in the U.S., I did not have a full Google Voice account with my own number and the additional features that come with a Google Voice account.

So, about an hour ago I signed up for a Google Voice account and got a phone number with an area and prefix code to a location where I still have a lot of family and friends concentrated.

I playing with the Google Voice for the last 30 minutes or so I've confirmed I can call it and leave a voicemail. Have also confirmed it will forward calls to another of my numbers like my NetTalk VOIP service number. And I can even place a call from Google Voice by allowing it to use my 8X8 or NetTalk numbers to "make" a call....strange how that works in terms of you dial a number on Google Voice, it then rings what ever number you told it to call "form" like my NetTalk number, you answer the NetTalk ring, and then Google Voice continues on to dial/connect whatever number you dialed.

However, I can not make a call if using the Google Voice number. That is, calling from the Google Voice number. It justa tries to connect and after about 15 seconds give up...even when test calling to my 8X8 or NetTalk numbers...I never got ring on these numbers and as mentioned Google Voice seems to give up after about 15 to 30 seconds. I also tried calling some other U.S. numbers using the Google Voice number....all failed....tried for about 15-30 seconds and then gives up.. And I also tired using via a VPN connection also which gave me a San Francisco IP address....still no success in completing a call "from/using" the Google Voice-issued phone number. It's like the Google Voice number is working to forward calls and to take a voicemail, but not working to make an outbound call....it tries but just gives up after about 15 to 30 seconds.

I'll troubleshoot this problem some more over the coming hours/days. VOIP can sure turn into a hobby.

Cheers,

Pib

For U.S.A. to Thailand calling cards idPhonecard has great service, features and rates: $0.026/min. (2.6 U.S. pennies).

http://www.idphoneca...A&countryto=THA

If one assumes that incremental data is free, let's say at home with broadband (DSL/DOCSIS et al.) and premises WiFi (obviously not free per se) then there are any number of free calling options with Line, Viber, Skype etc.

https://play.google....er.line.android

https://play.google....WJlci52b2lwIl0.

Haven't tried Line... Was kind of put off by a lot of the recent review comments talking about problems, particularly with voice calling.

But have been using Viber for some months... between my mobile and my wife's (both Android) here in Bangkok... Seems to work great, reliable for both messaging and voice calls.

Skype to Skype voice and even video calls seem to work pretty well ... both mobile to mobile and home wifi to mobile.

GrooveIP Lite is another free Android app I've been using that connects to one's Google Voice account, and allows you to make free calls from your Android mobile on a Wifi connection to any phone in the U.S. and Canada. There's a free Lite version and then a paid app version as well. The paid version supposedly adds support for use with mobile data networks, not just Wifi.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.snrblabs.grooveip&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5zbnJibGFicy5ncm9vdmVpcCJd

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

TwentyBaht

OK, I think I have figured out my Google Voice outbound calling problem. Where I said I couldn't call if using the GoogleVoice number, well, to be more precise it's where GoogleVoice offers you the selection of using "Google Talk" or whatever phone number you linked wiht GoogleVoice to make the call...you need to choose one whenever making a call.

So, when making a call with the selection on use "Google Talk" it was basically trying to contact my Google Talk/Call Phone function on my Gmail account. When I had "both" GoogleVoice and Gmail open, make a call from GoogleVoice, then my phone/call function on Gmail would start ringing, I would click answer on the Gmail phone/call function, and then you hear the dialing of the number I wanted to dial from GoogleVoice. In doing a call to my 8X8 VOIP service/number my phone in-hand ring, and when answering I could confirm two audio. And this worked with or without VPN.

I thouht donwloading/installing Google "Talk' might avoid the need to have your web gmail account open, but when clicking the phone icon on Google Talk it just opens up your Google Gmail account so the call function can be used.

Unless I haven't figured it out yet on how to do it, it seems strange GoogleVoice won't let you call directly from the GoogleVoice, instead it needs to ring you up on your call/phone function in Gmail or whatever home landline/cellphone/etc., number you setup in GoogleVoice. Can be confusing. But hey, it works.

Now, I need to research some more that Obihai tip you gave and think some more about how I can more effectively use my GoogleVoice number but I'm sure I will be keeping a VOIP type device like the NetTalkDuo as my primary calling method since it don't require me, the wife, or guest to be tethered to a computer to use the phone within my house.

Cheers,

Pib

http://www.idphoneca...A&countryto=THA

https://play.google....er.line.android

https://play.google....WJlci52b2lwIl0.

Haven't tried Line... Was kind of put off by a lot of the recent review comments talking about problems, particularly with voice calling.

But have been using Viber for some months... between my mobile and my wife's (both Android) here in Bangkok... Seems to work great, reliable for both messaging and voice calls.

Skype to Skype voice and even video calls seem to work pretty well ... both mobile to mobile and home wifi to mobile.

GrooveIP Lite is another free Android app I've been using that connects to one's Google Voice account, and allows you to make free calls from your Android mobile on a Wifi connection to any phone in the U.S. and Canada. There's a free Lite version and then a paid app version as well. The paid version supposedly adds support for use with mobile data networks, not just Wifi.

https://play.google....y5ncm9vdmVpcCJd

John,

The more I read about all the different things smartphone apps can do the more it moves me towad buying a smartphone...maybe that will be my Christmas present to myself this year...if nothing else trying out all the different apps would keep me occupied until death. But until Christmas, I guess I'll make due with my dinged-up Samsung 2G cell phone. wink.png

Pib

It really does open up a whole new world of possibilities, particularly regarding all the various forms of communication and many other things including media and info access and consumption.

Before last fall, I had a Nokia E series phone that could access the Internet and had access to maps and some online radio resources... And some other stuff... but I mostly used it as a phone.

Now, with an Android smartphone, I probably use the actual phone in the mobile calling plan sense least of all. My wife and I send free messages back and forth via apps... and when we make voice calls to each other, it's often using one of the various apps...

I can listen to my music online via Google Music and Amazon Cloud via my phone. My wife used to come home and sit down as a desktop PC I'd gotten for her. These days, she rarely uses the desktop PC and instead read her email, does Facebook and everything else via her Samsung Galaxy SII phone and its 4+ in screen -- while she's laying in bed.

But you're certainly right about one thing...once you get into that world, you easily can/could spend many many many hours sorting thru different apps and trying to find and cull down the ones that really are useful for your particular needs and interests... But once you get thru that process, it's pretty sweet...

Especially if you're running all that off your home wifi and not having to worry about mobile data plan limits and costs.