Songkran Revelers Have Started Traveling Back To Their Home Provinces

webfact

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

back from a bike ride before the bike is parked up for songkran, say 2 policemen riding police motorbikes without helmets. so that says a lot.

What does it say? If they were wearing helmets, the accident rate would reduce!?

back from a bike ride before the bike is parked up for songkran, say 2 policemen riding police motorbikes without helmets. so that says a lot.

What does it say? If they were wearing helmets, the accident rate would reduce!?

Come on man !!!!!--------They are supposed to be setting an example------- OOPS,sorry forgot this is Thaolandgiggle.gif

Come on man !!!!!--------They are supposed to be setting an example------- OOPS,sorry forgot this is Thaolandgiggle.gif

But there were not drinking lao khao! angry.png

30 killed in the first day....

A quick google gives average figures of 12,000 -14,000 traffic fatalities in Thailand per year. If you divide 13,000 by 365 days you get an average of 35.6 fatalities per day.huh.png

It looks like it's actually safer to drive during Songkran than during other days! ermm.gif

Day 01: 30 deaths & 375 injuries in 343 road accidents 7 Dangerous Days #Songkran /via @191Thailand

So much for dear lady's zero death campaign. sad.png

Have you nothing better to do than sit in front of your PC and make petty childish unconstructive criticisms? Worse than a kindergarten kid.

What's childish and petty about Payboy's remarks, when - quote, "Transport Minister Jarupong Ruangsuwan presided over the event to promote the road safety campaign “Zero Deaths for the Songkran Holiday” at the Bangkok bus terminal in Chatuchak District." - unquote, and there are already 30 deaths on day 1. I bet you by the end of tomorrow there are over 100 deaths. A zero death campaign has failed on its first day - observing it and making comments is neither petty nor childish. It is matter of fact!

How many times have you driven to Ubon, or Udon or to Esan land during Song Kran and nearly been killed by lunatic 4x4 drivers who just can't sit with dignity, but need to fly by in the opposition of oncoming traffic nearly killing all and sundry in their midst?

I've done it last 4 years, but not this year!! Last year was too close for comfort, and if my car didn't have ABS we'd be dead due to thick brained imbeciles who think 4x4s are tanks. Good luck to them! I have no sympathy what so ever for the asses who crash and die. I do have sympathy for and if they hit innocents head on - which is usually the case!

Making observations about statistics is not childish, but your response was. It's song kran. Get a beer or two down your throat, relax, and stop being so pedantic. If you drive your 4x4 good luck to you, also. :o

-mel.

• Like 1

Day 01: 30 deaths & 375 injuries in 343 road accidents 7 Dangerous Days #Songkran /via @191Thailand

Have you nothing better to do than sit in front of your PC and make petty childish unconstructive criticisms? Worse than a kindergarten kid.

What's childish and petty about Payboy's remarks, when - quote, "Transport Minister Jarupong Ruangsuwan presided over the event to promote the road safety campaign “Zero Deaths for the Songkran Holiday” at the Bangkok bus terminal in Chatuchak District." - unquote, and there are already 30 deaths on day 1. I bet you by the end of tomorrow there are over 100 deaths. A zero death campaign has failed on its first day - observing it and making comments is neither petty nor childish. It is matter of fact!

How many times have you driven to Ubon, or Udon or to Esan land during Song Kran and nearly been killed by lunatic 4x4 drivers who just can't sit with dignity, but need to fly by in the opposition of oncoming traffic nearly killing all and sundry in their midst?

I've done it last 4 years, but not this year!! Last year was too close for comfort, and if my car didn't have ABS we'd be dead due to thick brained imbeciles who think 4x4s are tanks. Good luck to them! I have no sympathy what so ever for the asses who crash and die. I do have sympathy for and if they hit innocents head on - which is usually the case!

Making observations about statistics is not childish, but your response was. It's song kran. Get a beer or two down your throat, relax, and stop being so pedantic. If you drive your 4x4 good luck to you, also. ohmy.png

-mel.

Not quite sure how to respond to your post but I'll give it a go anyway.

Zero deaths campaign - a ridiculous, nonsensical and totally unachievable goal.

Driving to Isaan - I do it on average once a month, sometimes more. In fact, we have just driven here, my wife in the car and me on a bike. Got here safely. If you needed to use ABS driving on Thai roads, that means that either you are driving too fast for the conditions or that you are not planning far enough ahead. In 30 years of driving from Australia to Asia to Europe and the US, I've never once had to engage my ABS.

As to PayBoy's remark, I still maintain that it's a cheap, petty shot, trying to pander to like minded people.

I have only experienced three Songkran's and all were fun and safe.

Also, I have no remorse for the dead, even the innocent, we need to control the menace that is mankind anyway we can. As long as I am not part of the death toll I don't care, and for that matter if I am part of the death toll I won't care then either. drunk.gif

"I've done it last 4 years, but not this year!! Last year was too close for comfort, and if my car didn't have ABS we'd be dead due to thick brained imbeciles who think 4x4s are tanks. Good luck to them! I have no sympathy what so ever for the asses who crash and die. I do have sympathy for and if they hit innocents head on - which is usually the case!"

One will assume you mean the drivers who split the lanes to pass EXTREMELY SLOW traffic. You perhaps are one of those drivers that drive 20kph below the speed limit and are afraid to pass, change lanes, turn a corner, etc. and are unable to do any of them without slowing down substantially and then thinking about it for many many many kilometers. So those of us who know how to control our vehicles pass idiots of the like that I just described so that we can get to our destination in a reasonable amount of time. I traveled once with a friend of mine to his girlfriends, he was driving and it took two hours longer than when I made the same trip a few months earlier. No reason for it, he was just unwilling to pass anything unless he had several kilometers of clear road to pass in.

So while I will be staying at home for other reasons I am thankful that people like you are staying off the roads. Wish you would do it permanently.

Driving to Isaan - I do it on average once a month, sometimes more. In fact, we have just driven here, my wife in the car and me on a bike. Got here safely. If you needed to use ABS driving on Thai roads, that means that either you are driving too fast for the conditions or that you are not planning far enough ahead. In 30 years of driving from Australia to Asia to Europe and the US, I've never once had to engage my ABS.

As to PayBoy's remark, I still maintain that it's a cheap, petty shot, trying to pander to like minded people.

You don't engage abs your braking system does it automatically and just because it works does not mean you are driving excessively fast. Abs can work even if it detects wheel lockup at slow speed and suppose someone swerves into your lane making you brake heavily does that mean you were driving too fast?

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Like 1

Making observations about statistics is not childish, but your response was. It's song kran. Get a beer or two down your throat, relax, and stop being so pedantic. If you drive your 4x4 good luck to you, also. ohmy.png

-mel.

Thanks Mel, but its a waste of time arguing with the rose-colored glasses brigade. :rolleyes:

You don't engage abs your braking system does it automatically and just because it works does not mean you are driving excessively fast. Abs can work even if it detects wheel lockup at slow speed and suppose someone swerves into your lane making you brake heavily does that mean you were driving too fast?

Yes, when you step hard enough on the brakes, the braking system will detect if the wheels will lock up and then "engage" (for lack of a better word) the ABS system to prevent lock ups. This will allow you to steer out of danger. Generally very useful in icy and aquaplaning conditions. Hardly ever necessary in otherwise normal dry driving conditions.

I've had many cars / bikes / pedestrians swerve / cut / walk out in front of me but never ever needed to brake hard enough for the ABS system to kick in. Maybe it's because I'm constantly aware of my surroundings when driving and able to anticipate dangers and hazards on the road.

Yes, when you step hard enough on the brakes, the braking system will detect if the wheels will lock up and then "engage" (for lack of a better word) the ABS system to prevent lock ups. This will allow you to steer out of danger. Generally very useful in icy and aquaplaning conditions. Hardly ever necessary in otherwise normal dry driving conditions.

I've had many cars / bikes / pedestrians swerve / cut / walk out in front of me but never ever needed to brake hard enough for the ABS system to kick in. Maybe it's because I'm constantly aware of my surroundings when driving and able to anticipate dangers and hazards on the road.

Like some 4x4 cutting in ahead of 10 cars in front of you, who all have to brake brake brake because of the prat?

You may say you are a safe driver, but it sound the opposite to me, if in Thailand you have never engaged your ABS. Sounds like you are the old fuddy duddy doing 60 more like! You've never had a pedestrian just walk infront of you for no reason 5 metres ahead of you, of a motorcyle cut you in half, that unless you braked hard you'd have hit?

Pull the other one.

You know little about my driving, nor expertise and advanced licences in it. Small talk from you, making ungrounded assumptions that you know little about.

ABS is not only for steering out of trouble, it is for straight line intense braking, without the need for skidding. Never had a Thai lorry pull infront of you for no reason, as you approach it? I don't think you drive daily on Thai roads much at all, to be honest.

Enough said. Enjoy your happy overtaking and please, don't come a cropper of stats in the regardless drivers list who <deleted> by everybody else cos B just aint coming fast enough - please. ;)

"I've done it last 4 years, but not this year!! Last year was too close for comfort, and if my car didn't have ABS we'd be dead due to thick brained imbeciles who think 4x4s are tanks. Good luck to them! I have no sympathy what so ever for the asses who crash and die. I do have sympathy for and if they hit innocents head on - which is usually the case!"

One will assume you mean the drivers who split the lanes to pass EXTREMELY SLOW traffic. You perhaps are one of those drivers that drive 20kph below the speed limit and are afraid to pass, change lanes, turn a corner, etc. and are unable to do any of them without slowing down substantially and then thinking about it for many many many kilometers. So those of us who know how to control our vehicles pass idiots of the like that I just described so that we can get to our destination in a reasonable amount of time. I traveled once with a friend of mine to his girlfriends, he was driving and it took two hours longer than when I made the same trip a few months earlier. No reason for it, he was just unwilling to pass anything unless he had several kilometers of clear road to pass in.

So while I will be staying at home for other reasons I am thankful that people like you are staying off the roads. Wish you would do it permanently.

Who said I am staying off the roads? I wish you would button up your pathetic insinuations permanently. Go do one!

Hope next time I happen across you you are bollocking past me and I swerve, to send my caravan into the side of you and swipe you off the road........ nerd.

-mel

If you can't take it,,,,,,,,,, don't give it! :P

I'd like to know why you were at your mates girlfriends two months before were you test driving her for him or what 555

Furthermore, public transport drivers will have to undergo alcholol and drug testings before starting work to ensure the safety of the passengers.

Now that is a useful thing, if they can enforce it

Yes,and motorbike riders will have to wear a helmet from now on.

Actually something else caught my attention on this article besides the stats. The horrible grammar and vocabulary usage are things that I never did expect to see on this portal because usually, articles are well written. Sorry to bring this up but it bothers me.

How can cars "be passed"?

Like some 4x4 cutting in ahead of 10 cars in front of you, who all have to brake brake brake because of the prat?

You may say you are a safe driver, but it sound the opposite to me, if in Thailand you have never engaged your ABS. Sounds like you are the old fuddy duddy doing 60 more like! You've never had a pedestrian just walk infront of you for no reason 5 metres ahead of you, of a motorcyle cut you in half, that unless you braked hard you'd have hit?

Pull the other one.

You know little about my driving, nor expertise and advanced licences in it. Small talk from you, making ungrounded assumptions that you know little about.

ABS is not only for steering out of trouble, it is for straight line intense braking, without the need for skidding. Never had a Thai lorry pull infront of you for no reason, as you approach it? I don't think you drive daily on Thai roads much at all, to be honest.

Enough said. Enjoy your happy overtaking and please, don't come a cropper of stats in the regardless drivers list who <deleted> by everybody else cos B just aint coming fast enough - please. wink.png

Next, we'll have you claiming to be a F1 or WRC champ :D

Who said I am staying off the roads? I wish you would button up your pathetic insinuations permanently. Go do one!

Hope next time I happen across you you are bollocking past me and I swerve, to send my caravan into the side of you and swipe you off the road........ nerd.

-mel

If you can't take it,,,,,,,,,, don't give it! tongue.png

I think he forgets he is in Thailand. Thai's allow a reasonable amount of time to get to their destination. He drives on the same roads maybe he should reconsider what he calls reasonable.

I know back home I made many trips faster than most others but it was because I was speeding and did not allow enough time to do it reasonably.

If I want to go 40 miles I will allow about one and a half hours here in Thailand.

Edited by hellodolly

Transport Ministry Tightens Road Safety During Songkran Holiday

BANGKOK: -- The transport minister ordered all bus terminals to monitor their bus drivers strictly for road safety purposes to reduce car accidents down by 5 percent during the Songkran holiday.

Meanwhile, the Transport Company also added 6,000 bus services per day to accommodate its passengers.

Transport Minister Jarupong Ruangsuwan presided over the event to promote the road safety campaign “Zero Deaths for the Songkran Holiday” at the Bangkok bus terminal in Chatuchak District.

According to the 2011 road accident records, it showed that there were 271 deaths, and 3,476 injuries from car accidents caused by drunk driving and speeding.

The highest number of deaths were found among teenagers.

Transport Company President Wuttichart Kunlayanamit said some residents have traveled since the end of last month.

The president estimated that about 200,000 travelers will show up at the bus station today.

He was confident that the number of buses will be sufficient for passengers during the holiday because the Transport Company organized 6,000 bus services each day, which will be able to serve 250,000 passengers.

Furthermore, the Transport company also brought 50 air-conditioning buses from the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority or BMTA to serve passengers in Bangkok and the surrounding areas such as Ayutthaya, Lopburi, and Saraburi provinces.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-04-12

footer_n.gif

Wow bus terminals can actually moniter drivers, only in Thailand. What would really help is to have a crack down with a few vows to put a stop to road accidents.

30 killed in the first day....

A quick google gives average figures of 12,000 -14,000 traffic fatalities in Thailand per year. If you divide 13,000 by 365 days you get an average of 35.6 fatalities per day.huh.png

It looks like it's actually safer to drive during Songkran than during other days! ermm.gif

More traffic, slows the traffic down to,could be the reason for less or similar death toll than on other days.coffee1.gif

But there were not drinking lao khao! angry.png

They were not drinking it in front of you! giggle.gif

As to the discussion above, about Overtaking, to dangerously or not when it seems to be a lot of space to oncoming traffic,

I recognized both possibilities.

Some, a few completely insane, I presume, Thai car drivers and special Bus drivers who overtake regardless of traffic, completely careless!hit-the-fan.gif

And, many, many who do not know how much distance is needed to overtake

and for that reason seeing oncoming traffic, how far away anyway, do not dare to overtake at all and if they do, do it often very slowly!angry.png

Makes it than difficult to deal with that snake of cars for "normal' drivers!

Sorry to say, there are only a few "normal" drivers.giggle.gif

Edited by ALFREDO