North Korean long-range rocket fails shortly after launch

News_Editor

North Korean long-range rocket fails shortly after launch

2012-04-13 09:34:28 GMT+7 (ICT)

PYONGYANG, NORTH KOREA (BNO NEWS) -- A long-range rocket fired by North Korea on Friday morning failed about a minute after takeoff in an apparent failure, South Korean and U.S. officials said. It comes after weeks of international pressure on North Korea to halt the launch.

A spokesman for the Korean Committee for Space Technology announced through state-run media in mid-March that it planned to launch a weather satellite, called the Kwangmyongsong-3 (Bright Star-3), on a Taepodong-2 ballistic missile to mark the 100th birth anniversary of the late North Korean leader Kim Il-sung.

The Kwangmyongsong-3 was launched at 7:39 a.m. local time on Friday from the Sohae Satellite Launching Station in Cholsan county of North Pyongan province, according to South Korean and U.S. officials. "The missile was tracked on a southerly launch over the Yellow Sea," the U.S. Northern Command said in a statement.

Both South Korean and U.S. officials believe the rocket failed about a minute after takeoff, after which the debris landed in the Yellow Sea. "Initial indications are that the first stage of the missile fell into the sea 165 km (102 miles) west of Seoul," U.S. Northern Command said. "The remaining stages were assessed to have failed and no debris fell on land. At no time were the missile or the resultant debris a threat."

More than four hours after the launch, state-run media in North Korea had still not reported on the launch and the subsequent failure. Previously, in an unprecedented move, the North Korean government had allowed dozens of foreign journalists into the country to cover the launch. However, the foreign journalists were not given any information on Friday.

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney called Friday's launch a 'provocative action' which threatens regional security, violates international law and contravenes North Korea's recent commitments. In return for U.S. food aid, the North Korean government had agreed in early March to a moratorium on nuclear tests, long-range missile launches, and uranium enrichment activity at one of its nuclear facilities.

"While this action is not surprising given North Korea's pattern of aggressive behavior, any missile activity by North Korea is of concern to the international community," Carney said in a statement released by the White House. "The United States remains vigilant in the face of North Korean provocations, and is fully committed to the security our allies in the region."

Carney emphasized that North Korea will only show strength and find security by abiding by international law and living up to its obligations. "North Korea is only further isolating itself by engaging in provocative acts, and is wasting its money on weapons and propaganda displays while the North Korean people go hungry," he said. "North Korea's long-standing development of missiles and pursuit of nuclear weapons have not brought it security - and never will."

British Foreign Secretary William Hague also expressed his concern about the launch and said Britain's Permanent Under-Secretary Simon Fraser will summon the North Korean Ambassador to Britain later on Friday. "[He will] make clear that the DPRK can expect a strong response from the international community if it continues to develop its missile and nuclear capabilities," Hague said, referring to North Korea by its official name. "I strongly urge the DPRK to suspend all missile and nuclear-related activity and to commit to re-engaging with the international community."

Meanwhile, in a joint statement, the foreign ministers of the Group of Eight (Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia, the UK, and the U.S.) also condemned North Korea's rocket launch. "We are ready to consider, with others, taking measures responding to all activities of the DPRK that violate UN Security Council Resolutions, and calling for appropriate response by the United Nations Security Council," the statement said.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-04-13

Wonder how long it will take the US / Koreans / Japanese to recover the rocket / remains / debris and have a nose around to see the type of technology inside the rocket. As i'd image the debris fell into international waters.

I fail to see the "provocation". It gave all interested partys a good look at thier capabilty [ or lack there of ] and they got the added advantage of testing the own surviellance and tracking systems whilst carrying out a live track on a foriegn launched vehicle. Very exciting stuff for the spooks.

• Like 1

"...... and is wasting its money on weapons and propaganda displays while the North Korean people go hungry," he said. "North Korea's long-standing development of missiles and pursuit of nuclear weapons have not brought it security - and never will."

I want to replace "North Korea" with "United States" in the previous statement ;).

I've been to the border between the north and the south. I was shocked at the amount of tension and animosity between the two halves of Korea. I would have thought that by now tensions would have eased, especially when you hear rumour of "uniting the country". But I don't see it happening anytime soon. Really, what do you expect from a region that sends all it's young adults into the military for almost a decade of their life. All they know is fighting.

Oh and....bummer about your rocket. I half expected accusations that someone had shot it down.

"...... and is wasting its money on weapons and propaganda displays while the North Korean people go hungry," he said. "North Korea's long-standing development of missiles and pursuit of nuclear weapons have not brought it security - and never will."

I want to replace "North Korea" with "United States" in the previous statement wink.png.

I've been to the border between the north and the south. I was shocked at the amount of tension and animosity between the two halves of Korea. I would have thought that by now tensions would have eased, especially when you hear rumour of "uniting the country". But I don't see it happening anytime soon. Really, what do you expect from a region that sends all it's young adults into the military for almost a decade of their life. All they know is fighting.

Oh and....bummer about your rocket. I half expected accusations that someone had shot it down.

Who did they fight?

Wonder how long it will take the US / Koreans / Japanese to recover the rocket / remains / debris and have a nose around to see the type of technology inside the rocket. As i'd image the debris fell into international waters.

If they can find the actual satellite that would be very good then it may show what was actually being launched, could have been a spy satellite in reediness for war or it could have been a ton of junk payload just so they could test the rocket for use as a ICBM vehicle.

Keeping my fingers crossed they find something really bad and provocative.

Big pity the USA dint go into N.Korea instead of Iraq, would have been more useful.