Security Tightened On Bangkok's Khao San Road For Songkran Festival

webfact

Security tightened on Khao San Road for Songkran festival

image_20120413172402AB3B26C9-A465-AA8D-C7704B68F41E013C.jpg

BANGKOK, April 14 – Police stepped up security measures with extra vigilant teams on the capital’s Khao San Road, a popular tourist zone for backpackers and other budget-conscious travellers, and surrounding areas, to assure that the Thai traditional New Year Songkran celebration will run smoothly.

In an attempt to ensure safety for foreign travellers and the public joining the Sonkran celebration on Khao San Road, Pol Col Jakkrapop Sukhontharat, superintendent of Chanasongkram Police Station, accountable for the area, said Friday that 400 police officers and 200 volunteers were deployed on Khao San Road and neighbouring Rambuttri Road.

The officers provided security in conjunction with a half dozen checkpoints, checking and screening for weapons, alcoholic beverages and talcum powder paste, prohibited when the area was turned into a water splashing playground duing the festive period.

Other police officers were assigned to direct traffic in surrounding areas and to man high-rise buildings to inspect the overall situation.

So far, no disturbances or complaints have been reported.

Some 50 tourist police officers were dispatched to Khao San Road to support operations of local police. Tourist Police Division Commander Pol Maj-Gen Adis Ngamjitsuksri said the Songkran festival on Khao San Road this year would be crowded with foreign tourists as usual, as some travellers were unworried about past disturbances in Thailand.

He believed that no untoward incident will take place during the Thai traditional New Year.

Currently, about 40,000 foreign travellers per day visit the Kingdom. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-04-14

"checking and screening for weapons, alcoholic beverages and talcum powder paste, prohibited ..."

was there yesterday as well, surprised at confiscating talcum and at selling beer and whisky along khaosan.

wery annoying was a traditional thai music played over laud speakers

Khao San Road was great fun yesterday, We had a ball. There were a lots of vendors selling booze all along the road and others selling talk paste, I guess someone forgot to tell them lol. It was well organised and crowd control worked well. I wished Ihad stayed there instead of going to Silom Rd. What a disorganised and dangerous crush that was.

post-46292-0-10681100-1334382338_thumb.j

post-46292-0-38213900-1334382402_thumb.j

post-46292-0-46509600-1334382423_thumb.j

post-46292-0-14480000-1334382464_thumb.j

post-46292-0-29183400-1334382549_thumb.j

Edited by waza

This headline in translation...

Headline: Security tightened on Khao San Road for Songkran Festival

Translation: Special promotion! -- 50% off on fake college degrees, 30% discount for tea money arrests, and 10% discount on overpriced silver! Buy now!!

Supplies are unlimited!

Could do with some of that security up here in the Chiang Mai back streets, where some little boy is chucking about 3 litres of water from a large bucket at the heads of motorcyclists who are travelling at about 40 kmh. I thought I'd been hit by a house brick. I was ready to get wet but I wasn't ready for that. My fault for going out I suppose?

After realizing yesterday that i was becoming a grumpy old man, i decided to buck the trend and took a visit to khao san on Songkran to see if i had become as miserable and grumpy as i thought i might have become. I was pleasantly surprised - had a great time and realized that there is still life in the old dog yet.

As for Khao San the BiB are doing a really good job, very visible, friendly and don't mind too much when you give em a good dousing with the water pistol.

Yeah same here! In the end we couldn't resist missing out! Did Silom first then took the tuk tuk to Khao San and had a great time! Found a nice balcony table at the Hard Rock Cafe at Siam Square today and watched a few bands and knocked a few back! Again, a great time!

Edited by AZBill

For those who like the water-fight thing, good for you (really). But for me (I was in Khao San during Songkran last year), no more of that. One thing I find especially annoying is water getting in my ears.

I will give it a pass.

Jem