"O" Visa Extension Converting Support From Work Permit To Funds

For the past 8 years I have offered my Work Permit as support for my yearly "O" (Married to a Thai) Visa Extension.

This year I will finish my current employment and plan to go the THB400,000 in the bank route to support my Visa Extension.

Does anybody know if the THB400,000 has to be transferred in to Thailand, or as I have been living here on yearly extensions since 2000, is it okay to use funds already in my Thai Bank Account ?

They are not making a check for that anymore. Just that it is in account 2 months and you have passbook and letter from bank of account balance.

Thanks Lopburi3. I am going to be a couple of days short of the 2 months.

I hope an "under review" will be possible as I would still like to keep my current "O" Visa alive.

No it is not accepted without the full 2 months. But you should be able to obtain a 60 day extension of stay to visit wife for extra 1,900 baht and then return 30 days later to do the 1 year extension of stay.

No it is not accepted without the full 2 months. But you should be able to obtain a 60 day extension of stay to visit wife for extra 1,900 baht and then return 30 days later to do the 1 year extension of stay.

Meaning I will lose the "status" of my current visa e.g. applying for PR and "grandfathered clauses" as in the past ?

They are not making a check for that anymore. Just that it is in account 2 months and you have passbook and letter from bank of account balance.

Thanks Lopburi3. I am going to be a couple of days short of the 2 months.

I hope an "under review" will be possible as I would still like to keep my current "O" Visa alive.

This year for the marriage extension, if you currently still have your WP, then you can show that for proof of 40,000 THB pcm, along with your last month(s) PND 1, last years PND 91, etc.

It doesn't matter if your employment ends during the extension period, since the grounds for extension are marriage, not employment.

Next year you can make sure that the 400,000 THB has been in your account for more than 2 months.

As you will remain on extension of stay from original visa entry it should not end anything - but the odds of obtaining PR without employment/tax payments are not very high so that may have to be the priority to keep yearly tax payments up there if PR application has not yet been made.

As you will remain on extension of stay from original visa entry it should not end anything - but the odds of obtaining PR without employment/tax payments are not very high so that may have to be the priority to keep yearly tax payments up there if PR application has not yet been made.

Thanks. Your advice is very helpful.

My current Visa extension expires on 12th June 2012 and I will not have the complete THB 400,000 until around 18th April (largely due to all the holidays this month). I hope they can give me a few days grace to meet the 2 months requirement.

I expect to have a new job and work permit in about 3-4 months time, so this is only a short term solution.

And I am well aware of the need to keep up my Tax payments etc..

My current Visa extension expires on 12th June 2012 and I will not have the complete THB 400,000 until around 18th April (largely due to all the holidays this month). I hope they can give me a few days grace to meet the 2 months requirement.

I expect to have a new job and work permit in about 3-4 months time, so this is only a short term solution.

From your comments, I presume that your existing WP will be finished before the 12th June.

If you are planning to get a new job/Work Permit then be carefull of trying the 60 day 'Visiting Wife' extension option (777/2551 Section 2.23) as some Labour Departments will not accept this particular 60 day extension as the basis for issuing a new Work Permit.

If you are only 5 days out, then a 7 day temporary extension will add enough time to then make the two months seasoning for the 400,000 THB cash in the bank option for the Thai Spouse One year Extension (Section 2.18).

From your comments, I presume that your existing WP will be finished before the 12th June.

If you are planning to get a new job/Work Permit then be carefull of trying the 60 day 'Visiting Wife' extension option (777/2551 Section 2.23) as some Labour Departments will not accept this particular 60 day extension as the basis for issuing a new Work Permit.

If you are only 5 days out, then a 7 day temporary extension will add enough time to then make the two months seasoning for the 400,000 THB cash in the bank option for the Thai Spouse One year Extension (Section 2.18).

Thanks for the comments.

My current Work Permit and visa extension are concurrent.

One reason I am looking to the THB400,000 path is to avoid what you outline, by obtaining a 12 month extension using the bank account to support the visa. Then, if this new work happens I will apply for a work permit knowing my visa affairs are more or less in order, for the next 12 months. Of course, the Labour Department (Din Deang) might not want to issue a work permit - but I will cross that bridge when I come to it and should have some time to find a solution.

Edited by RegularReader

Thanks for the comments.

My current Work Permit and visa extension are concurrent.

One reason I am looking to the THB400,000 path is to avoid what you outline, by obtaining a 12 month extension using the bank account to support the visa. Then, if this new work happens I will apply for a work permit knowing my visa affairs are more or less in order, for the next 12 months. Of course, the Labour Department (Din Deang) might not want to issue a work permit - but I will cross that bridge when I come to it and should have some time to find a solution.

If you have a one year extension of stay based on having a Thai Spouse (777/2551 Section 2.18) then it should be valid for a new Work Permit Application, whether you cited 40,000 THB Income (WP, Tax/Company Details) or if you had 400,000 THB in the Bank - the markings in your passport on the extension stamp are the same for both cases.
  • Like 1