Need Brunch Buffet - Emergency

lukeskywalker

Nancy L. seems pretty fit to me and she is a woman, so her advice on other woman is probably worth taking heed of.

So you are telling me that women of a different generations, size, culture, religion, morality have lots in common by just being women? That's sort of sexist, don't you think. (ie. judging a person purely by their sex)

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Love your post otherwise, excellent points and further proof that Thai women really aren't that different from all other flavors of the world. thumbsup.gif

NancyL is not a young slim Thai woman (think large elderly American), and I suspect knows nothing about small Thai women.

Seeing as it is Songkran, one should first find out if she is devout or not, devout Thai lady would like a trip to a temple.

Or hire a pickup truck and get yourselves driven around with a tank of water in the back and two buckets (depending on her age)

Or trip To Huay Tung Tao, all the Thai food she can eat, and watch the crazys circle the lake chucking water over each other.

However, if I were dating NancyL, Sunday buffet lunch at G&M sausages would probably be a good choice.

If we had a 'Dislike' facility to click--I would probably click this.

• Like 2

I think you are quite right on the food department. But criticizing some local expat ladies here is like playing with fire.

Or trip To Huay Tung Tao, all the Thai food she can eat, and watch the crazys circle the lake chucking water over each other.

However, if I were dating NancyL, Sunday buffet lunch at G&M sausages would probably be a good choice.

Edited by ARISTIDE

I think you are quite right on the food department. But criticizing some local expat ladies here is like playing with fire.

I criticized her advice on Thai ladies, not her. I believe there is a difference.

(Her advice would be entirely appropriate were one to be wooing an elderly American lady)

I did criticize UG for being sexist (he assumed all women are similar based only on their sex), as sexism is against forum rules.

(Is criticizing local expat men also like playing with fire? or are we also applying sexist double standards?)

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Love your post otherwise, excellent points and further proof that Thai women really aren't that different from all other flavors of the world. thumbsup.gif

NancyL is not a young slim Thai woman (think large elderly American), and I suspect knows nothing about small Thai women.

Seeing as it is Songkran, one should first find out if she is devout or not, devout Thai lady would like a trip to a temple.

Or hire a pickup truck and get yourselves driven around with a tank of water in the back and two buckets (depending on her age)

Given your avatar I very sincerely hope you are a confused canuck as someone from the South or midwest should know better...

In any case, those of us from United States (particularly South of the Mason-Dixon) hereby disown TommoPhysicist and beg NancyL for her forgiveness and continued insight into the female mind.

Others should note that women world wide are more similar than different (just as people in general are) and those that think Thai women are so very different tend to be elderly, obese, beer guzzling farangs who pay for the pleasure of their company and are incapable of maintaining normal relationaships in the West (or here).

Edited by CPT
  • Like 2

What a bunch of bizarre replies to something as simple as 'where to go for a brunch/buffet'!

Not so much of the "bizarre" replies, but more about the question. Surprised he didn't ask what kind of present he should buy for her.

What a bunch of bizarre replies to something as simple as 'where to go for a brunch/buffet'!

Not so much of the "bizarre" replies, but more about the question. Surprised he didn't ask what kind of present he should buy for her.

That would have been too easy to answer ...... GOLD.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Thanks, folks, for coming to my defense! Thank you for the kind comments about the wisdom of my postings. I'm still thinking about the comments about my appearance. Can't do much about my age or nationality, but your comments do motivate me to go have a long swim today as part of the never-ending effort to keep some modicum of a figure!

So -- back on topic:

Luke, what did you end up doing yesterday? Was your sweetie suitably impressed?

if the question go unanswered I might just have to go ahead and assume he's asked her to go dutch laugh.png

Edited by ARISTIDE

Maybe this is the answer you are looking for:

1. The Grandview Hotel has a daily buffet, 159 Baht, mix of Thai and Western. Food is very good. Thais love it there. Overall very good value and dependable (although we had what could only be described as a bizarre experience there last week). I'm sure it was a one off as I've been there perhaps 25 times over the years and always had a good experience. 11:30-14:30. Best to get there around 12:30 or so.

No offense to the poster of the above but I would probably avoid the Grandview Hotel buffet. My girlfriend and I tried it because of the recomendations we read on ThaiVisa and were disappointed. My girlfriend is a Thai person who most certainly did not love it and, infact, swore she would not return. The best food I had there was mediocre, the majority a notch below. It's not that the food is awful, it's just that it is best described as "hotel food." It looks appealing and is designed to be inoffensive and inexpensive rather than good. Certainly not the place to take someone for a birthday meal. Haveing said that, I wouldn't think a buffet is a proper place for a birthday meal anyway unless you have big plans for the evening or it was specifically requested.

My tastes do tend to differ from those of many members here so they may not be entirely in line with you and your girlfriends tastes. I also don't like Hinlay Curry House and, while I enjoy the Dukes on occassion, hardly consider it to be great food. In short, I'm something of a blasphemer when it comes to food here on TV so keep that in mind.

Well I guess you were wrong. The report from lukeskywalker is in and as I suspected, his girlfriend loved it (as do almost all Thais that go there).

It wouldn't be my first choice but as a place to take a Thai for brunch it would be.

OK, I'm not going to touch the male/female stuff, but I'm glad it brought out some debate.

The Grandview was great. She had been there before a long time ago and loved it, especially the crepes. The food was good, not expensive, and we both left with a smile. She ate more than I did. Then we went to Doi Suthep Temple which she thoroughly enjoyed. We were then going to go to the movies, but we were still soaking wet and she was worried about freezing in the theaters so we came home. We then gave each other "mutual" presents. rolleyes.gif After that we napped and she then did my laundry. She seemed content as always.

She has an appointment for hair, manicure and pedicure later this week. She said she had a wonderful time, and all's well.

Plus we got splashed a lot which added to the fun day. We thought we would be safe in a songtaow going up to Doi Suthep, but the water throwers have excellent aim at getting their entire buckets of water through that 1 foot wide window opening. Got wetter inside a songtaow than on the motorbike.

I told her about some of the funnier posts on here (going to Big C's food court, chicken on a stick), and she thought they were hilarious.

Glad to hear it all worked out...

Now, if I could only find someone who would do my laundry... whistling.gif That will never happen I'm sure. I've never met any Thai women in all the years that know how to clean or wash clothes and most can't even cook. But my g/f is a gourmet chef, that's for sure. That is when she feels like cooking!

Grandview is the best in both quality of food, price and friendly service.

It wouldn't be my first choice but as a place to take a Thai for brunch it would be.

All a matter of opinion.

I stick by Big C food court,or possibly the one at Tesco's or maybe the 4th Floor of Airport Plaza,or the bottom floor-great Khao Soi.

On second thoughts the Muslim restaurant first Soi off the bottom of the Night Bazaar but only open for lunch,great food very cheap.

Or maybe---------!

OK, I'm not going to touch the male/female stuff, but I'm glad it brought out some debate.

The Grandview was great. She had been there before a long time ago and loved it, especially the crepes. The food was good, not expensive, and we both left with a smile. She ate more than I did. Then we went to Doi Suthep Temple which she thoroughly enjoyed. We were then going to go to the movies, but we were still soaking wet and she was worried about freezing in the theaters so we came home. We then gave each other "mutual" presents. rolleyes.gif After that we napped and she then did my laundry. She seemed content as always.

She has an appointment for hair, manicure and pedicure later this week. She said she had a wonderful time, and all's well.

Plus we got splashed a lot which added to the fun day. We thought we would be safe in a songtaow going up to Doi Suthep, but the water throwers have excellent aim at getting their entire buckets of water through that 1 foot wide window opening. Got wetter inside a songtaow than on the motorbike.

I told her about some of the funnier posts on here (going to Big C's food court, chicken on a stick), and she thought they were hilarious.

Glad to hear it all worked out...

Now, if I could only find someone who would do my laundry... whistling.gif That will never happen I'm sure. I've never met any Thai women in all the years that know how to clean or wash clothes and most can't even cook. But my g/f is a gourmet chef, that's for sure. That is when she feels like cooking!

Wow you must meet some very hi-so girls, or very very young girls. In my experience those are, for obvious reasons, the only girls that can't clean/cook.

Glad to hear the OP had a good "rewarding" time :P

Now, if I could only find someone who would do my laundry... whistling.gif That will never happen I'm sure. I've never met any Thai women in all the years that know how to clean or wash clothes and most can't even cook.

I assume you're joking. If not, you need some serious guidance about finding women. Try a search on the net. Failing that, you could start a topic like 'How To Find A Woman That Can Do Normal Household Work'. I'll bet it would be a fun read.

I don't need any 'serious guidance' at all, thank you. The women I know, or have known, my previous Thai girlfriends or my current long-time g/f have all been too busy with their careers or running their businesses to have time to clean house or wash clothes. And I don't need to search the net either.

Now, if I could only find someone who would do my laundry... whistling.gif That will never happen I'm sure. I've never met any Thai women in all the years that know how to clean or wash clothes and most can't even cook.

I assume you're joking. If not, you need some serious guidance about finding women. Try a search on the net. Failing that, you could start a topic like 'How To Find A Woman That Can Do Normal Household Work'. I'll bet it would be a fun read.

I don't need any 'serious guidance' at all, thank you. The women I know, or have known, my previous Thai girlfriends or my current long-time g/f have all been too busy with their careers or running their businesses to have time to clean house or wash clothes. And I don't need to search the net either.

I was pretty sure you were a chick this whole time...

• Like 1