Does The Songkran Water Madness Finish On Sunday 15Th?

Zodiac

I was previously told the water throwing in BKK is for 3 days namely 13-15 April, ending today Sunday. But others have told me it will continue into the 16th April that is into tomorrow: Monday.

Can anyone please tell me which is correct?

Thank you.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive got to say this year im very surprised by everyone attitude on the Sukhumvit. If people see that your in normal cloths and walking along everyone seems to leave them alone. Now if your trying to stay dry and your walk by a tourist hot spot, (gogo bars, soi 11, soi 33) then you kind of are asking for it. Taxis cost about 2-3$ to go pretty much everywhere besides extreme distances so hop in one and try to not Mr.Grinch to much.

As always the only people I see in the tourist areas aiming for the eyes/face with these super powered guns that were supposedly outlawed and to be confiscated are white male tourists between 18-30.

The splashing may stop in BKK but in the villages it can carry on until 17th when people return to BKK (mainly). Then there are maybe more drunks on the road driving even faster!

They advertise '7 dangerous days' for Songkran - that needs to be altered to 365 dangerous days on Thai roads with a slight upsurge during Songkran and other festivals IMHO.

Edited by CHANGOVER
  • Like 1

It wouldn't be bad for the ones that wants to participate, but when the idiots get stupid and throw ice or rocks in their water, that's going too far. Motorcycles are dangerious enough, but when some drunk, idiot 14 year old hits you in your face with water while driving, that's going too far. When the drunks get in the middle of the road stopping all traffic, wheather you want to or not and dances to music that is loud enough to cause hearing damage, that's going too far. When one of the drunk kids makes a girl stop on a motorcycle and feels her breasts, that's going too far. If that is fun to you, there is something seriously wrong with your head. So, go have your idiotic, stupid, dangerious fun.

The type of incidents you mention obviously shouldn't happen. But it's the incidents that re wrong not the whole event. Every large event and may everyday things have dangers. So should all clubs and bars be closed down and alcohol banned? According to you they should, because these things lead to rape, murder and other things. And why not ban shopping, as I've heard some bad things have happened to people when they went shopping. Songkran is fun. Some bad things happen, but many of these would have happened anyway. Bad things happen everywhere. I had great fun. I'm happy for you to stay in and avoid life. But I feel very sorry for you.

Oh, just realised that you can't stay in because I heard that some people get murdered at home. Better ban houses and then no-one will ever get murdered at home again. You are so funny. LOL.

Edited by w11guy
  • Like 1

we went shopping up to changwat suphan on Friday morning and the tescos was a madhouse...we finally managed to extricate ourselves and got back home around 4pm to find the place blocked off by the police with a howling mob and fire hoses and etc...our house is only a block away from the crazyness and we approached cautiously...and then there was a pick up with a nasty looking crew tooled up with high powered water guns coming from the other direction and we stopped facing each other and then tutsi stuck his head out the window of the van and waggled his tongue and ears and shouted: 'falang! falang! bla! splut! and etc...' and then we hastened down the road and I thought thought that they were gonna turn around and come after us but we made it home OK...

I love them situations where nothing less than a rocket attack would give them satisfaction and they are impotent and worthless...the family were highly amused...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzORu1dqEE0

(check out them black girl back up singers...oh, yeah...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

You can just say "mai ow!" and they don't get you. :P

I believe it ends on Sunday 15th but some people just can't get enough so if you're planning on avoiding water tomorrow I would be cautious.

I have not been dry at all for 3 days! However I came home early today as I got robbed at knife point near Khao San and Soi Rambuttri right in front of loads of people at about 11pm last night so I wanted to be home safe tonight. :(

Want to know why I love songkran so much?

Because I love to throw water on grumpy tourists and expats, who thinks that their wish to stay dry weighs heavier than Thailand's traditions.

That is why.

So watch out. Me and my friends will be aiming for you. cool.png

Edited by ricku
  • Like 2

Because I love to throw water on grumpy tourists and expats, who thinks (!) that their wish to stay dry weighs heavier than Thailand's traditions.

I believe most of you who talk of this being traditional don't have much of an idea of what the holiday is supposed to be about, or just how traditional the current Songkran madness is. I first came to Thailand 47 years ago, which predates most expats. Back in those days it was a much gentler and friendlier tradition, and I never saw any aggressive behavior. The water splashing was much more respectful, I mean WAY more respectful, than I see these days. I don't think I've gotten grumpier, at least I hope not--I still like to have fun--but the holiday isn't much fun for me anymore, and I try to stay inside and avoid as much of it as I can. I don't believe in banning alcohol or trying to force people to quit enjoying themselves, but I think that looking back to what the original traditions are here, and their meanings, would be instructive. I don't think that people who don't want to get wet should have to stay inside for days at a time. And the suggested "mai aow," in my experience, 1) doesn't work most of the time and 2) makes you look grumpy even if you really aren't. Didn't use to have to say that, or even think it. So when you mention tradition, be sure you know what you're talking about.

• Like 1

I wish they would restrict the water-throwing to designated areas, then (maybe) everybody would be happy, even grumpy old spoilsports like me.

The water-throwing is restricted to designated areas. The designated area is called Thailand. If you don't like it you have the rest of the world to choose from. Songkran has been here longer then you, so why should they change just because some grumpy farangs say so? All farangs would don't like it should leave. What right do you think you have coming here and expecting people to change to suit your needs. So either fit in or leave.

So let me get this right. Because I chose to live here, I must abide by what a drunk kid that is trying his dambest to knock me off my motorcycle by throwing water in my face on a crowded busy street says? GO TO HELL. .YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

Because I love to throw water on grumpy tourists and expats, who thinks that their wish to stay dry weighs heavier than Thailand's traditions.

That is why.

You're an idiot.

• Like 1

licklips.gif It officially will end the 15th....but there may still be areas to avoid...notably Silom Road and Khao San road on the 16th.

Note that the 16th is a holiday....and many of the banks and all government offices will not be open

Wait until the 17th if possible, things will be back to the usual (ab) normal routine then.

Also be aware that many of the bank ATMs haven't been restocked since the 12th, and may be out of money...so don't count on getting cash from an ATM on the 16th.

giggle.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I believe most of you who talk of this being traditional don't have much of an idea of what the holiday is supposed to be about

Some people say the same thing about Christmas. Time marches on.

Yes,that is correct.And you can see what it has turned in to,what has become of it....

w11guy; Yes,songkran has been here a long time.If you ask some grown-ups they can tell you,what it was all about.If you ask some young people,I guess they haven`t got a clue,except that it gives them a chance to do things,that normally is considered rude!About your advice for those who don`t like to be assaulted,there are lots of Thai people who also dislike the way it is carried out,but they can`t follow your recommendation and leave,for obvious reasons.The same goes for many of us older "farangs",who actually lives here.We are not all tourists,you know.I am certain,that when you grow older,you will no longer find these childish behaviour funny anymore!Nobody says,that the people who likes it must stop doing it.What we are saying is,that keep it to those who do,and do not force others to participate.That way everyone can be happy! You like to give examples,so I give you one: Most people enjoy sex,but not if they have to force some body who is unwilling,it is not so "fun". Or is it...?

But that's life isn't it? We have to put up with things we don't like sometimes. There are inconsiderate people everywhere at all times of the year, but you can't avoid life. It's only a few days a year so don't see why so many are making such a big deal out of it. Take a holiday to another country of you hate ot so much.

It doesn't matter what Songkran used to mean. Times change and things move on. Just like Xmas in places like the UK - it's no longer a religious festival and hasn't been for a very long time. Because it once was a religious festival is irrelevant. Those days are gone. Everything changes. If the young people only see it as a huge water festival, so what? Why do you want to force them to give it a different meaning. It's their choice not yours.

I wish they would restrict the water-throwing to designated areas, then (maybe) everybody would be happy, even grumpy old spoilsports like me.

The water-throwing is restricted to designated areas. The designated area is called Thailand. If you don't like it you have the rest of the world to choose from. Songkran has been here longer then you, so why should they change just because some grumpy farangs say so? All farangs would don't like it should leave. What right do you think you have coming here and expecting people to change to suit your needs. So either fit in or leave.

So let me get this right. Because I chose to live here, I must abide by what a drunk kid that is trying his dambest to knock me off my motorcycle by throwing water in my face on a crowded busy street says? GO TO HELL. .YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

The answer is not to ride your bike in those areas during those days. It's the same with all festivals the world over and also major events. There are always places you need to avoid.

They probably try to drench you because you're so grumpy. I know I would. Chill and have some fun before it's too late.

That is why.

Can I join you and drench these grumpy expats? Even if it's not Songkran.

• Like 1

1 day would be enough.

I kinda hate this water splashing inferno.

And the worst, most aggressive, and least respectful ones are the tourists coming here on vacation. They seem to think it is about trying to make as much damage as possible using water.

That is why.

You dont have a clue about anything. That´s ok, not everyone can be intelligent.

Alot of the attitude towards songkran also has a lot to do with how many times you've experienced it. This was my 3rd year and 3 solid days feels extremely long, I can only imagine how I would feel once im 40+ and not 23. 3 days is a long day of dealing with the above average amount of drunks/tourists. But thats why they invented plane tickets and hotels. Take a trip to Singapore or Australlia for the weekend and your safe.

licklips.gif It officially will end the 15th....but there may still be areas to avoid...

Wait until the 17th if possible, things will be back to the usual (ab) normal routine then.

giggle.gif

It looks as though I will be waiting until the 17th or even later. I left Bangkok to avoid the festival, and went to Khon Kaen (really nice place); however, I did not give any thought to getting back to Bangkok and all flights trains and buses seem to booked up until Thursday. It is lucky that I am on holiday.

It wouldn't be bad for the ones that wants to participate, but when the idiots get stupid and throw ice or rocks in their water, that's going too far. Motorcycles are dangerious enough, but when some drunk, idiot 14 year old hits you in your face with water while driving, that's going too far. When the drunks get in the middle of the road stopping all traffic, wheather you want to or not and dances to music that is loud enough to cause hearing damage, that's going too far. When one of the drunk kids makes a girl stop on a motorcycle and feels her breasts, that's going too far. If that is fun to you, there is something seriously wrong with your head. So, go have your idiotic, stupid, dangerious fun.

The type of incidents you mention obviously shouldn't happen. But it's the incidents that re wrong not the whole event. Every large event and may everyday things have dangers. So should all clubs and bars be closed down and alcohol banned? According to you they should, because these things lead to rape, murder and other things. And why not ban shopping, as I've heard some bad things have happened to people when they went shopping. Songkran is fun. Some bad things happen, but many of these would have happened anyway. Bad things happen everywhere. I had great fun. I'm happy for you to stay in and avoid life. But I feel very sorry for you.

Oh, just realised that you can't stay in because I heard that some people get murdered at home. Better ban houses and then no-one will ever get murdered at home again. You are so funny. LOL.

Now theres logic for you; actually by your reasoning its more like the police saying "ok, for three days you can openly kill someone and us the police will stand idly by and watch." If that were the case I'm sure you would stay in too.

Much of the behavior talked about is ILLEGAL whether it is songkran or not; i.e. assualt and battery.