Does The Songkran Water Madness Finish On Sunday 15Th?

Zodiac

1 day would be enough.

I kinda hate this water splashing inferno.

And the worst, most aggressive, and least respectful ones are the tourists coming here on vacation. They seem to think it is about trying to make as much damage as possible using water.

I may be wrong, my understanding was that the Pattaya area was always one week behind BKK. It used to give you a chance to miss it in BKK and then leave Pattaya to get back to BKK when it was all over .

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish they would restrict the water-throwing to designated areas, then (maybe) everybody would be happy, even grumpy old spoilsports like me.

The water-throwing is restricted to designated areas. The designated area is called Thailand. If you don't like it you have the rest of the world to choose from. Songkran has been here longer then you, so why should they change just because some grumpy farangs say so? All farangs would don't like it should leave. What right do you think you have coming here and expecting people to change to suit your needs. So either fit in or leave.

So let me get this right. Because I chose to live here, I must abide by what a drunk kid that is trying his dambest to knock me off my motorcycle by throwing water in my face on a crowded busy street says? GO TO HELL. .YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

You are in a very very tiny minority with your paranoid views. Do you want to hurt your fellow man so much that you believe this is the intent of people who are out having fun during the holiday celebrations? Lighten up and learn to enjoy life, celebrations and Thailand or don't ride your motorbike for a few days during the New Year celebrations.

1 day would be enough.

I kinda hate this water splashing inferno.

And the worst, most aggressive, and least respectful ones are the tourists coming here on vacation. They seem to think it is about trying to make as much damage as possible using water.

I may be wrong, my understanding was that the Pattaya area was always one week behind BKK. It used to give you a chance to miss it in BKK and then leave Pattaya to get back to BKK when it was all over .

I think it starts in Pattaya at the same time as BKK, it just goes on longer (till the 19th). It might have been one week behind before, but it's definitely caught up...

I don't like Songkran, so I avoid it. I stay home, go to the pool, or grab a taxi and go hang out with friends in 'dry' areas. But I'm not going to start imposing my view on others- clearly there are thousands / millions who love it, and it's not my place to start bringing everybody down. Hell, I wished I'd enjoy it more because then I could be out there having fun, rather than lounging by the pool with an ice coffee and a good book... in fact I've got a horrifying suspicion that if everyone enjoyed it less, I'd probably enjoy it more. I'm a terrible human being. :)

You are in a very very tiny minority with your paranoid views. Do you want to hurt your fellow man so much that you believe this is the intent of people who are out having fun during the holiday celebrations? Lighten up and learn to enjoy life, celebrations and Thailand or don't ride your motorbike for a few days during the New Year celebrations.

And sharking has become a new and "harmless tradition" in some cities.

I guess that means women that don't want their clothes torn off while being filmed for that interweb thing should stay home...

If the minority view is that people should be able to choose which festivities they participate in, I'm in the minority. That's why you'll never see my ugly mug on some Thai beaches during the full moon. Sadly, I didn't stock up enough food and water to stay off the streets of Bangkok for 4 days. Next year I will.

Edited by impulse

w11guy; Yes,songkran has been here a long time.If you ask some grown-ups they can tell you,what it was all about.If you ask some young people,I guess they haven`t got a clue,except that it gives them a chance to do things,that normally is considered rude!About your advice for those who don`t like to be assaulted,there are lots of Thai people who also dislike the way it is carried out,but they can`t follow your recommendation and leave,for obvious reasons.The same goes for many of us older "farangs",who actually lives here.We are not all tourists,you know.I am certain,that when you grow older,you will no longer find these childish behaviour funny anymore!Nobody says,that the people who likes it must stop doing it.What we are saying is,that keep it to those who do,and do not force others to participate.That way everyone can be happy! You like to give examples,so I give you one: Most people enjoy sex,but not if they have to force some body who is unwilling,it is not so "fun". Or is it...?

But that's life isn't it? We have to put up with things we don't like sometimes. There are inconsiderate people everywhere at all times of the year, but you can't avoid life. It's only a few days a year so don't see why so many are making such a big deal out of it. Take a holiday to another country of you hate ot so much.

It doesn't matter what Songkran used to mean. Times change and things move on. Just like Xmas in places like the UK - it's no longer a religious festival and hasn't been for a very long time. Because it once was a religious festival is irrelevant. Those days are gone. Everything changes. If the young people only see it as a huge water festival, so what? Why do you want to force them to give it a different meaning. It's their choice not yours.

I do not know,whether your problem is reading or understanding what you read,but I clearly stated in my post,that I did not try to force anyone to anything;on the contrary.What I said was,that the likes of you shouldn`t force people like me to participate in your childish play! By the way,about your capability of logic: before you put a lot of weight on "tradition".Now,when you perhaps have wised up a bit,you suddenly states,that it "doesn`t matter what Songkran used to mean".Well,well,I just say;"Splash on you!"
  • Like 1

I wish they would restrict the water-throwing to designated areas, then (maybe) everybody would be happy, even grumpy old spoilsports like me.

The water-throwing is restricted to designated areas. The designated area is called Thailand. If you don't like it you have the rest of the world to choose from. Songkran has been here longer then you, so why should they change just because some grumpy farangs say so? All farangs would don't like it should leave. What right do you think you have coming here and expecting people to change to suit your needs. So either fit in or leave.

So let me get this right. Because I chose to live here, I must abide by what a drunk kid that is trying his dambest to knock me off my motorcycle by throwing water in my face on a crowded busy street says? GO TO HELL. .YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM."

The answer is not to ride your bike in those areas during those days. It's the same with all festivals the world over and also major events. There are always places you need to avoid.

They probably try to drench you because you're so grumpy. I know I would. Chill and have some fun before it's too late.

As I said, "GO TO HELL. YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

Edited by ralphlsasser

It wouldn't be bad for the ones that wants to participate, but when the idiots get stupid and throw ice or rocks in their water, that's going too far. Motorcycles are dangerious enough, but when some drunk, idiot 14 year old hits you in your face with water while driving, that's going too far. When the drunks get in the middle of the road stopping all traffic, wheather you want to or not and dances to music that is loud enough to cause hearing damage, that's going too far. When one of the drunk kids makes a girl stop on a motorcycle and feels her breasts, that's going too far. If that is fun to you, there is something seriously wrong with your head. So, go have your idiotic, stupid, dangerious fun.

The type of incidents you mention obviously shouldn't happen. But it's the incidents that re wrong not the whole event. Every large event and may everyday things have dangers. So should all clubs and bars be closed down and alcohol banned? According to you they should, because these things lead to rape, murder and other things. And why not ban shopping, as I've heard some bad things have happened to people when they went shopping. Songkran is fun. Some bad things happen, but many of these would have happened anyway. Bad things happen everywhere. I had great fun. I'm happy for you to stay in and avoid life. But I feel very sorry for you.

Oh, just realised that you can't stay in because I heard that some people get murdered at home. Better ban houses and then no-one will ever get murdered at home again. You are so funny. LOL.

Now theres logic for you; actually by your reasoning its more like the police saying "ok, for three days you can openly kill someone and us the police will stand idly by and watch." If that were the case I'm sure you would stay in too.

Much of the behavior talked about is ILLEGAL whether it is songkran or not; i.e. assualt and battery.

There is no logic in Thailand. Case in point, a true story. One of the drunk kids I spoke about jumped in front of my motorcycle at dark last night. I tried to miss him, but he staggard in front and I hit him. Thank god I was going slow. This morning the police came to my house and told me, "during sonkran, if you have an accident and hit someone for any reason, even if they are drunk and even if you tried to miss them, it is your fault."

That is Thailand logic.

w11guy:I wanted to add this:You say,that it is their choice (to throw water),not mine.But then perhaps you can agree,that it should be my choice,not yours or anybody else`s, whether I want to take part or not! Why can it not be enough for you and your playmates to play amongst yourself? But,of course,you already have made it clear,that the real fun is to "go after" people who do not like it.And you call that " that`s life" I can assure you,that I know what life is about and so do many of other people here on tv;we have all have had our chares of what life can be like.And we have come to terms with it.When young children throw water,I do have some patience with that;they don`t know better.But when,what should be regarded as grownups do it,against my will and with bad intent,like yours,that`s a different story.Perhaps somebody`,who don`t like people like you,one day kicks your ass and says,"That`s life!"

Edited by Bosse137
  • Like 1

It wouldn't be bad for the ones that wants to participate, but when the idiots get stupid and throw ice or rocks in their water, that's going too far. Motorcycles are dangerious enough, but when some drunk, idiot 14 year old hits you in your face with water while driving, that's going too far. When the drunks get in the middle of the road stopping all traffic, wheather you want to or not and dances to music that is loud enough to cause hearing damage, that's going too far. When one of the drunk kids makes a girl stop on a motorcycle and feels her breasts, that's going too far. If that is fun to you, there is something seriously wrong with your head. So, go have your idiotic, stupid, dangerious fun.

The type of incidents you mention obviously shouldn't happen. But it's the incidents that re wrong not the whole event. Every large event and may everyday things have dangers. So should all clubs and bars be closed down and alcohol banned? According to you they should, because these things lead to rape, murder and other things. And why not ban shopping, as I've heard some bad things have happened to people when they went shopping. Songkran is fun. Some bad things happen, but many of these would have happened anyway. Bad things happen everywhere. I had great fun. I'm happy for you to stay in and avoid life. But I feel very sorry for you.

Oh, just realised that you can't stay in because I heard that some people get murdered at home. Better ban houses and then no-one will ever get murdered at home again. You are so funny. LOL.

Now theres logic for you; actually by your reasoning its more like the police saying "ok, for three days you can openly kill someone and us the police will stand idly by and watch." If that were the case I'm sure you would stay in too.

Much of the behavior talked about is ILLEGAL whether it is songkran or not; i.e. assualt and battery.

There is no logic in Thailand. Case in point, a true story. One of the drunk kids I spoke about jumped in front of my motorcycle at dark last night. I tried to miss him, but he staggard in front and I hit him. Thank god I was going slow. This morning the police came to my house and told me, "during sonkran, if you have an accident and hit someone for any reason, even if they are drunk and even if you tried to miss them, it is your fault."

That is Thailand logic.

Dont expect any logic from Thai police . biggest bunch of **** in the the civilized world,

Agree about the worst culprits , the Moronic tourists who come here and target other Westerners who are trying to avoiding the water. I got a splash from one opposite central world , you know the sort , overweight ,middle aged, football shirt skinhead idiot.

That is Thailand logic.

I am sure this is a true story in your mind but bet the guy you hit and the police who spoke to you have a different true story.

Had an excellent time enjoying the celebrations at various locations Saturday as well as taking it mobile in a Tuk Tuk. Sunday relaxed a bit and we went out to dinner and shopping. Didn't get splashed once even though the Taxi driver kicked us out 5 blocks from our Soi because the streets were packed and traffic wasn't moving. Made it all the way back without a drop of water on us by simply making sure folks saw our shopping bags. No different than sitting on the sidewalk eating at one of the stalls when water is being splashed all around but people don't splash those eating.

I have to wonder how some of these grumpy people always manager to get themselves around people who they claim are trying to kill strangers on motorbikes or purposely destroy their electronics.

But bottom line is if we got soaked coming back from the store and our groceries were ruined then so be it. We chose to go shopping after eating knowing dam_n well there was a national festival going on and that we live in Thai area we're people love to have fun. We gambled it would be okay but if it wasn't then it was only on us. If we lived in an area with many foreigners, we wouldn't even have taken the risk.

Edited by Nisa

It's a festival celebrated in this country - whether we like it or not. Live with it or get out (for the Songkran period). It's so, so easy. I despise Christmas so I just avoid all Christian countries from mid to late December - problem solved!

People are assaulted, raped, harassed everyday of the week - not just during festivals. What a lame excuse.

I can understand why so many adults here also enjoy this time of year - they work numerous hours a day doing mediocre jobs for pittance, it's no wonder they go crazy once a year when they have a few days holidays.

I travelled out into the country for the weekend and was gently splashed a few times but only after the kids asked for permission.

• Like 1

w11guy; Yes,songkran has been here a long time.If you ask some grown-ups they can tell you,what it was all about.If you ask some young people,I guess they haven`t got a clue,except that it gives them a chance to do things,that normally is considered rude!About your advice for those who don`t like to be assaulted,there are lots of Thai people who also dislike the way it is carried out,but they can`t follow your recommendation and leave,for obvious reasons.The same goes for many of us older "farangs",who actually lives here.We are not all tourists,you know.I am certain,that when you grow older,you will no longer find these childish behaviour funny anymore!Nobody says,that the people who likes it must stop doing it.What we are saying is,that keep it to those who do,and do not force others to participate.That way everyone can be happy! You like to give examples,so I give you one: Most people enjoy sex,but not if they have to force some body who is unwilling,it is not so "fun". Or is it...?

But that's life isn't it? We have to put up with things we don't like sometimes. There are inconsiderate people everywhere at all times of the year, but you can't avoid life. It's only a few days a year so don't see why so many are making such a big deal out of it. Take a holiday to another country of you hate ot so much.

It doesn't matter what Songkran used to mean. Times change and things move on. Just like Xmas in places like the UK - it's no longer a religious festival and hasn't been for a very long time. Because it once was a religious festival is irrelevant. Those days are gone. Everything changes. If the young people only see it as a huge water festival, so what? Why do you want to force them to give it a different meaning. It's their choice not yours.

Pretty much explains your reasoning. Typical.

So let me get this right. Because I chose to live here, I must abide by what a drunk kid that is trying his dambest to knock me off my motorcycle by throwing water in my face on a crowded busy street says? GO TO HELL. .YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

So, I should stay at home like a hermit for 3 because others want to get drunk and act like idiots not caring who they hurt or lame? If that's your idea of fun, somethings wrong with your head.

• Like 1

It's a festival celebrated in this country - whether we like it or not. Live with it or get out (for the Songkran period). It's so, so easy. I despise Christmas so I just avoid all Christian countries from mid to late December - problem solved!

People are assaulted, raped, harassed everyday of the week - not just during festivals. What a lame excuse.

I can understand why so many adults here also enjoy this time of year - they work numerous hours a day doing mediocre jobs for pittance, it's no wonder they go crazy once a year when they have a few days holidays.

I travelled out into the country for the weekend and was gently splashed a few times but only after the kids asked for permission.

Well,I do not know where you live,but in "my" Esaan village,it is not "a few holidays" a year.Every week,there are partys going on;weddings,funerals (yes,that too is "partytime"),"memories",new house,new car,birthdays of royal family,celebrations of various Buddhist days and so on!! Actually I read somewhere,that Thailand is the country in the world,which has the most holidays.And that is counting only the official ones! And when a holiday comes on a sunday,for instance,then people get monday as "compensation", because they "would be free anyway"...I have no problem with that,but what you said is far from correct! Another thing;Why is it,that you and some other people think,that anyone can just up and leave the country anytime?! Some of us have work,animals, to take care of,and not everyone can afford what you are suggesting,and it is an even greater inconvenience to travel to Bangkok,catch a flight and so on.Especially this time a year!!Finally,yes,some children do respect when you show them,that you do not want to be splashed,but not all.The older they are,the more disrespectful.And try to tell people like some of those here on tv,who have stated,that they like to go after the ones that don`t want it..!PS.Nobody ever tried to rape,assault or harass me,not here,not anywhere else.Except for this Songkran thing,when it is considered ok. Edited by Bosse137

So, I should stay at home like a hermit for 3 because others want to get drunk and act like idiots not caring who they hurt or lame? If that's your idea of fun, somethings wrong with your head.

Yes, if those are your views of the celebrations. There are people, like you, who feel this way about rock concerts, clubs, some birthday parties, New Years in the West and many other types of parties or celebrations. If they make you scared for your safety by all means, you should stay away even if that means staying in doors while a country celebrates.

Edited by Nisa

OK,Nisa,the parties you refer to,rock concerts and so on,are parties you can chose to go to,or not.If you don`t want to go,you do not have to alter your life for 4-5 days..!And you can chose which party. New year celebration can be noisy,but normally only for an evening,when many people stay home anyway.My guess is,that people with your reasoning also must say,that it is ok with corrupt police,because that is "tradition" in this country.Likewise the burning every year,which cause dangerous pollution and other similar things.It is true,that one can not change this and that one has to grin and endure it,but that doesn`t mean,that one has to like it.The alternativ,so often presented,"go back where you came from",is often not a relevant one.There can be many circumstances that makes a move like that more or less impossible,as in my situation.Still,I sometimes ponder it anyway...

OK,Nisa,the parties you refer to,rock concerts and so on,are parties you can chose to go to,or not.If you don`t want to go,you do not have to alter your life for 4-5 days..!And you can chose which party. New year celebration can be noisy,but normally only for an evening,when many people stay home anyway.My guess is,that people with your reasoning also must say,that it is ok with corrupt police,because that is "tradition" in this country.Likewise the burning every year,which cause dangerous pollution and other similar things.It is true,that one can not change this and that one has to grin and endure it,but that doesn`t mean,that one has to like it.The alternativ,so often presented,"go back where you came from",is often not a relevant one.There can be many circumstances that makes a move like that more or less impossible,as in my situation.Still,I sometimes ponder it anyway...

Again, to answer your question ... if this is your view of Songkran then you should be all means stay indoors for the few days it lasts. Some people don't go out or drive in the rain and that is their preference. Others, like myself, love going out and watching a thunder storm. You have to do what feels safe for you. The millions and millions of people who take to the streets and enjoy this celebration feel differently. New Years celebrations in the west, as do many other holidays (especially when they fall on a week-end), results in many more accidents, deaths and injuries and there are a number of folks who choose to stay home to avoid it all and feel safer ... nothing wrong with that.

As for corrupt police, pollution and so on, this is a different topic but instead of blaming others, why not blame yourself for getting in a position where you are stuck in a country you seem to view so negatively. I suggest you try to adapt and enjoy the holidays as do the overwhelming vast majority of millions upon millions of people who do each year without injury. As for the police, learn to enjoy the freedoms and don't get involved with police here if you cannot trust them ... it is very easy to do. Pollution exists everywhere and certain areas of every country has it more so than others and if you can't move then you only have yourself to blame.

Bottom line is we can control ourselves and not others and we alone are responsible for our own happiness and safety. If you wanted more controlled life with restrictions and lots of government regulations all designed to protect you then you picked the wrong country to live.

Edited by Nisa

Again, to answer your question ... if this is your view of Songkran then you should be all means stay indoors for the few days it lasts. Some people don't go out or drive in the rain and that is their preference. Others, like myself, love going out and watching a thunder storm. You have to do what feels safe for you. The millions and millions of people who take to the streets and enjoy this celebration feel differently. New Years celebrations in the west, as do many other holidays (especially when they fall on a week-end), results in many more accidents, deaths and injuries on the roads and there are a number of folks who choose to stay home.

As for corrupt police, pollution and so on, this is a different topic but instead of blaming others, why not blame yourself for getting in a position where you are stuck in a country you seem to view so negatively. I suggest you try to adapt and enjoy the holidays as do the overwhelming vast majority of millions upon millions of people who do each year without injury. As for the police, learn to enjoy the freedoms and don't get involved with police here if you cannot trust them ... it is very easy to do. Pollution exists everywhere and certain areas of every country has it more so than others and if you can't move then you only have yourself to blame.

Bottom line is we can control ourselves and not others and we alone are responsible for our own happiness and safety. If you wanted more controlled life with restrictions and lots of government regulations all designed to protect you then you picked the wrong country to live.

<deleted>.

• Like 1

Well,I do not know where you live,but in "my" Esaan village,it is not "a few holidays" a year.Every week,there are partys going on;weddings,funerals (yes,that too is "partytime"),"memories",new house,new car,birthdays of royal family,celebrations of various Buddhist days and so on!! Actually I read somewhere,that Thailand is the country in the world,which has the most holidays.And that is counting only the official ones! And when a holiday comes on a sunday,for instance,then people get monday as "compensation", because they "would be free anyway"...I have no problem with that,but what you said is far from correct! Another thing;Why is it,that you and some other people think,that anyone can just up and leave the country anytime?! Some of us have work,animals, to take care of,and not everyone can afford what you are suggesting,and it is an even greater inconvenience to travel to Bangkok,catch a flight and so on.Especially this time a year!!Finally,yes,some children do respect when you show them,that you do not want to be splashed,but not all.The older they are,the more disrespectful.And try to tell people like some of those here on tv,who have stated,that they like to go after the ones that don`t want it..!PS.Nobody ever tried to rape,assault or harass me,not here,not anywhere else.Except for this Songkran thing,when it is considered ok.

Songkran is over (for another year)... you can calm down and go outside again :o) Amen!

Well,I do not know where you live,but in "my" Esaan village,it is not "a few holidays" a year.Every week,there are partys going on;weddings,funerals (yes,that too is "partytime"),"memories",new house,new car,birthdays of royal family,celebrations of various Buddhist days and so on!! Actually I read somewhere,that Thailand is the country in the world,which has the most holidays.And that is counting only the official ones! And when a holiday comes on a sunday,for instance,then people get monday as "compensation", because they "would be free anyway"...I have no problem with that,but what you said is far from correct! Another thing;Why is it,that you and some other people think,that anyone can just up and leave the country anytime?! Some of us have work,animals, to take care of,and not everyone can afford what you are suggesting,and it is an even greater inconvenience to travel to Bangkok,catch a flight and so on.Especially this time a year!!Finally,yes,some children do respect when you show them,that you do not want to be splashed,but not all.The older they are,the more disrespectful.And try to tell people like some of those here on tv,who have stated,that they like to go after the ones that don`t want it..!PS.Nobody ever tried to rape,assault or harass me,not here,not anywhere else.Except for this Songkran thing,when it is considered ok.

wow, sorry you have made some lifestyle choices that weigh heavily upon you, but really, is that our fault?

Want to know why I love songkran so much?

Because I love to throw water on grumpy tourists and expats, who thinks (!) that their wish to stay dry weighs heavier than Thailand's traditions.

I believe most of you who talk of this being traditional don't have much of an idea of what the holiday is supposed to be about, or just how traditional the current Songkran madness is. I first came to Thailand 47 years ago, which predates most expats. Back in those days it was a much gentler and friendlier tradition, and I never saw any aggressive behavior. The water splashing was much more respectful, I mean WAY more respectful, than I see these days. I don't think I've gotten grumpier, at least I hope not--I still like to have fun--but the holiday isn't much fun for me anymore, and I try to stay inside and avoid as much of it as I can. I don't believe in banning alcohol or trying to force people to quit enjoying themselves, but I think that looking back to what the original traditions are here, and their meanings, would be instructive. I don't think that people who don't want to get wet should have to stay inside for days at a time. And the suggested "mai aow," in my experience, 1) doesn't work most of the time and 2) makes you look grumpy even if you really aren't. Didn't use to have to say that, or even think it. So when you mention tradition, be sure you know what you're talking about.

Nicely explained. The uneducated without an inkling of what a true Thai tradition is think that the current assault on people with high power water canons, blocks of ice and bucketfuls of water splashed on someone's face in a fun tradition. They are just in the dark of what Songkran is really about. But, to their reckless brains lacking the couth or willingness to learn, the random aggressive assault using water canons, buckets and blocks of ice that is just fun. A gentleman was explaining in TV that he had a cataract removed at the hospital and on his way home, although he had the bandage on his eye, he was splashed water all over his face several times. Other people who are going to work in their daily best suffer a similar fate. Songkran is indeed a lovely tradition, not what is going on nowadays. It has descended to the level of the lowest common denominator. If we defend the real tradition and we are against such mayhem then, in the eyes of the Western troglodytes telling us to go home or fit in we are just grumpy old men. Their lack of couth and insensitivity to other people's rights speak volumes of who they are.

Edited by pisico
  • Like 1

Because I love to throw water on grumpy tourists and expats, who thinks (!) that their wish to stay dry weighs heavier than Thailand's traditions.

I believe most of you who talk of this being traditional don't have much of an idea of what the holiday is supposed to be about, or just how traditional the current Songkran madness is. I first came to Thailand 47 years ago, which predates most expats. Back in those days it was a much gentler and friendlier tradition, and I never saw any aggressive behavior. The water splashing was much more respectful, I mean WAY more respectful, than I see these days. I don't think I've gotten grumpier, at least I hope not--I still like to have fun--but the holiday isn't much fun for me anymore, and I try to stay inside and avoid as much of it as I can. I don't believe in banning alcohol or trying to force people to quit enjoying themselves, but I think that looking back to what the original traditions are here, and their meanings, would be instructive. I don't think that people who don't want to get wet should have to stay inside for days at a time. And the suggested "mai aow," in my experience, 1) doesn't work most of the time and 2) makes you look grumpy even if you really aren't. Didn't use to have to say that, or even think it. So when you mention tradition, be sure you know what you're talking about.

Nicely explained. The uneducated without an inkling of what a true Thai tradition is think that the current assault on people with high power water canons, blocks of ice and bucketfuls of water splashed on someone's face in a fun tradition. They are just in the dark of what Songkran is really about. But, to their reckless brains lacking the couth or willingness to learn, the random aggressive assault using water canons, buckets and blocks of ice that is just fun. A gentleman was explaining in TV that he had a cataract removed at the hospital and on his way home, although he had the bandage on his eye, he was splashed water all over his face several times. Other people who are going to work in their daily best suffer a similar fate. Songkran is indeed a lovely tradition, not what is going on nowadays. It has descended to the level of the lowest common denominator. If we defend the real tradition and we are against such mayhem then, in the eyes of the Western troglodytes telling us to go home or fit in we are just grumpy old men. Their lack of couth and insensitivity to other people's rights speak volumes of who they are.

Perhaps if we moved in higher circles and locked our cars when trans-versing through the lower classes we could still celebrate Songkran as it really was and still let others have fun? (32 years here)

Perhaps if we moved in higher circles and locked our cars when trans-versing through the lower classes we could still celebrate Songkran as it really was and still let others have fun? (32 years here)

Oh, and just like me you are a grumpy old git!!!

What moron would go to work in his daily best during Songkran when there is not one company in Thailand who would expect such dress knowing that a National Holiday is going on where water is thrown and powder applied? And if somebody really was expected to dress in their best suite and make it to work looking like they were hosting an award ceremony but couldn't handle this then maybe they have no business having a job because it really isn't that difficult avoiding the celebrations if you really need to. The same could be said about a person who not only who schedules a surgery during Songkran but then decides to walk the streets after the surgery where folks are splashing water.

It is like some people come to Thailand and exchange their common sense at their airport with a elevated sense of superiority and the inability to not whine about everything Thai.

What moron would go to work in his daily best during Songkran when there is not one company in Thailand who would expect such dress knowing that a National Holiday is going on where water is thrown and powder applied? And if somebody really was expected to dress in their best suite and make it to work looking like they were hosting an award ceremony but couldn't handle this then maybe they have no business having a job because it really isn't that difficult avoiding the celebrations if you really need to. The same could be said about a person who not only who schedules a surgery during Songkran but then decides to walk the streets after the surgery where folks are splashing water.

It is like some people come to Thailand and exchange their common sense at their airport with a elevated sense of superiority and the inability to not whine about everything Thai.

Those morons (your countrymen) are the many who keep hotels running, the airport open, your mobile phones on, hospitals (doctors, nurses, janitors, care givers, etc.), all the stores in malls and all supermarkets open for business,etc.. This is only to name a few companies, from utilities to a myriad of other services that do require a dress code. Will you find proper for a front desk clerk at a 5, 4 star hotel soaking wet when you check in? Demanding Card Blanche for a mob that stabs, maims, throws blocks of ice to moving cars and motorcycles and kills people while having "Songkran fun" is absurd and a sign of lunacy. First of all, the "fun" that takes place nowadays has nothing to do with Songkran. Know your own history and traditions. Who are you to judge the medical needs of someone scheduled for eye surgery on a specific day? Not all things Thai are good. To think that all things Thai are good is to live in denial of the obvious. But to some dim witted people the mantra Farang bad, Thai good, is all they know without stopping to thing about the consequences of their actions.

• Like 2